[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just received this gb small forest axe, and the grind is fairly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 20160314_124105.jpg (828 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160314_124105.jpg
828 KB, 2048x1152
I just received this gb small forest axe, and the grind is fairly noticably not straight. This pic is from the top. The bottom is straight though so this means the cutting edge isnt parallel with the handle.
Should i send it back? It seems like to grind it straight would mean getting rid of a lot of metal.

Thanks
>>
I actually looked through a bunch of Gransfors wildlife hatchets at a brick and mortar store and they were all uneven to one extent or another. I guess this shouldn't have surprised me, given the handmade nature of the item.

If you send it back, I am almost sure you will receive one that has another flaw, possibly worse. You just have to deal with it. If the grind is all that bothers you, then you should thank your lucky and you should just grind it yourself until it suits you. They are fine tools though and it shouldn't affect usability. I would try to not let it other you.
>>
>>711667
That's really nother that bad. I wouldn't stress on it as I'm sure it'll perform fine.
>>
>>711689
>nother
Not** I really don't know why my tablet did that...
>>
>>711689
Yeh its not that bad really though that poc doesnt really do it justice. I sort of wish i got the scandinavian forest axe now, was only $10 more. But oh well at least this fits in my pack
>>
>>711737
If it's handmade then just get on with it. If you want something square and prefect, get something machine made
>>
Is GB a meme, or should I get a Hultafors?

Hultafors is the most used brand in Scandinavia and less expensive.
>>
>>711677
>handmade
you mean pushing them into a preshaped machine hammer for 30 secs
>>
>>711743
but that's wrong you retard.
good handmade items are made with care and they are not in the slightest uneven.
mass-produced shit of low care and quality is.
>>
File: THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST.jpg (116 KB, 1600x1068) Image search: [Google]
THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST.jpg
116 KB, 1600x1068
>ignoring the obvious solution :^)
>>
File: images (3).png (14 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
images (3).png
14 KB, 224x225
>>712536
>>
>>711667
That's shit, for what you paid I would send it back
>>
>>711879
handmade = human error
machines do not make errors
>>
File: 185der4qeaduypng.png (302 KB, 639x358) Image search: [Google]
185der4qeaduypng.png
302 KB, 639x358
>>717375
>machines do not make errors
i believe you. picture might be related.
>>
>>717375
well i guess you never seen quality handmade items.

granfors guy makes an axehead by freehand hold under machine-hammer in 30-45 seconds.

an average blacksmith will spend about an hour on the axe head every unevenness will be grinded down later on by naked eye you will not find any fault cause if you can the blacksmith would see it and he has an eye for it. he would also use a hell of a lot more strikes to form the axe especially if he makes it by hammer. you will not get bent or loopsided blades if he gives a fuck.

machines do make errors it's just within a margin. the specific production technology granfors hultafors husqvarna and others use is the most prone to errors and unevenness because a human who doesn't give a fuck does everything that determines the shape and he has a quota to make.
>>
>>717432
Yeah and it will cost at least 3x more than a Gränsfors.
>>
>>717481
not really that's the worst of it.
if local made here it will be about $80
us made it will be about $250
>>
>>717375
GB should have good enough quality control to catch errors like that though
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.