[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are these worth buying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: KIMG0290.jpg (406 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0290.jpg
406 KB, 960x540
"Survival" Blanket, are these made with quality material or a waste of $12 USD?

Tarp with thermo reflective fabric, what would better supplement a thick wool blanket or sleeping bag?
*Pic related.
>>
File: 100.jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
100.jpg
53 KB, 500x500
>>709117
I would use them as sleeping pad. but 12 petrodollars?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Portable-Waterproof-Silver-Reusable-Emergency-Camping-Survival-Sleeping-Bag-H5-/111860633721
>>
File: larva.jpg (72 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
larva.jpg
72 KB, 400x400
ultra-light tier
>>
>>709126
>I would use them as sleeping pad.

That's retarded because they would provide zero insulation from the ground.
>>
>>709117
I have one... They're loud & crinkles, not very tough - seem like they'd be easy to damage. I use mine mainly as a pad to sit on when the ground is damp or I'll spread it out on the floor of my tent before unrolling my sleeping bag. I've also strung it up a couple times as a wind break when cooking. I can't remember actually using it as a blanket. Probably not worth 12 bucks but still somewhat useful.
>>
>>709131
>That's retarded because they would provide zero insulation from the ground.
do you even outdoors?

while I crossed the Alps I sleept on a fucking windshild protector
>>
>>709133

Yeah I'm sure you're real experienced if you think that thin piece of material is enough insulation for even the hottest days.
>>
>>709138
it depens on the material. homless people (your family) use paper.
>>
>>709143

No it doesn't depend on the material. If it's that thin it's not taking your body off the ground so you're losing heat through conduction. Homeless people don't use paper either, they use cardboard. They use that for a reason and that's because with enough of it your body is off the ground.

It's okay not to know stuff but don't pretend you're an expert at something you're not and then try to give bad advice.
>>
>>709117
Do you consider buying Nike or adidas instead of no name brand shoes worth it? Because UST is basically a fancy brand that offers no more than that 4$ reflective blanket does.
>>
>>709148
windshield protector offers aprox 1-2mm material plus thermalcoating. it is already enough for "taking your body off the ground"., fatass chinahater.

>http://www.ebay.de/itm/Portable-Waterproof-Silver-Reusable-Emergency-Camping-Survival-Sleeping-Bag-H5-/111860633721

this plus sleeping bag = same effect.
>>
>>709157
>http://www.ebay.de/itm/Portable-Waterproof-Silver-Reusable-Emergency-Camping-Survival-Sleeping-Bag-H5-/111860633721

2,39 Petro-Dollars! intl. delivery inclusive

fuck yeah

xyz ultra light company would charge you 45 petros. without delivery.
>>
>>709157
OP isn't asking about "windshield protectors" (they're actually called sun shades). He's asking about the tarp in his picture.
>>
>>709399
And Not a Single Fuck Was Given
>>
>>709449

Why did you capitalize every word?
>>
I have something like this. Blue tarp on one side, aluminized on the other. Essential item for me. I've used it as a blanket on colder nights, I've used it as a shelter during a windy night, I've wrapped it around myself like a cloak while hiking in the rain. As useful as any tarp, the aluminum is just a plus.
>>
I also carry a sleeping bag, pad, and bivvy though. I wouldn't rely on just the alumitarp
>>
File: autism.jpg (7 KB, 219x230) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
7 KB, 219x230
>>709525
because he has autism. Just leave it be, anon
>>
>>709117
I used one to slow cook some rice one time making it into a solar funnel.
>>
I bought a SOL Escape Lite Bivvy, which is like a sturdier blanket in a sleeping bag shape. I have yet to use it outside, but I would recommend you check out the Youtube reviews on it, which basically say its good within it's limitations. Also, bring a GD insulator of some kind, like a thermarest pad or similar.
>>
>>709157
Where did you go to school, that they let you leave without learning thermodynamics?
>>
>>709117
>Walmart
Gross

I'm not a real sc/out/ but I do enjoy parroting what I hear everybody else say.

Those little reflective blankets are supposed to be good to use once or twice or to keep in an emergency kit. Everybody seems to agree that you will never be able to fold them up as compact and neat after you use them so they will take up more space. And they aren't made to be incredibly durable so it's not really something to reuse a bunch. But they are cheap enough so grab one if you really want.
>>
If are are going to get one buy the original Grabber Space blanket or one that is made in usa.

It functions very well as a emergency blanket and I have used mine in numerous trips without any wear. I have used it in to make improvised shelters and it definitely makes it warmer.

Though they do crinkle, it is not detracting enough to prevent sleep.

Would Recommend
>>
>>709117
Actually that looks very similar to the Grabber Space blanket. Check if it is made in the US. If it is get it, definitely worth $12. If made in chyna ignore
>>
>>711526
The one pictured is thick. A fully functional tarp with a shiny side. If you can fold a tarp, you can fold it.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.