[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where is whaling still a thing? As an American could I go to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: cid_199.jpg (141 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
cid_199.jpg
141 KB, 640x960
Where is whaling still a thing? As an American could I go to Japan and just join a whaling crew? I just read Moby dick and whaling sounds wicked

Anybody here been whaling before?
>>
It's a rich white people hobby now. I don't think whales are commercially hunted.
>>
>>707004
i think norway still hunts whales. also the natives in alaska still hunt them. gl.
>>
File: bait.png (65 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
65 KB, 625x626
>>707073
>whaling
>a hobby
it's either commercial or for research purposes
>>
>>707004
>Where is whaling still a thing?
Japan is the only big one. I think Norway might still have a couple hunts, but not on the scale of Japan. There are also a bunch of indigenous groups in various parts of the world who are still allowed small hunts.

>As an American could I go to Japan and just join a whaling crew?
Probably not. The massive modern day whaling expeditions that Japan conducts are dying. The main reason they still exist is that no government official wants to be the guy who kills of what was once an important branch of the Japanese fishing industry.
>>
>>707088

>not living in Norway master race
>>
>>707097
Helt fette enig
>>
>>707097
I live in Norway but not in the north, so I thought it was only commercial. I didn't know people did it as a hobby. But I guess some whales species are pretty small and people are catching those in a non-commersial setting?
>>
>>707108
Have you been whaling?
>>
>>707114
No. I just have never heard of anyone doing whaling as a hobby. The only whalers I have heard about are fishermen (some part time, some of them full time). But if you know about people doing whaling merely as a hobby, please enlighten us.
>>
>>707004
SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER!
>>
>>707097
like you say, (not living in norway) = master race
>>
>>707004
Alaska natives kill a few whales every year. You could watch but unless you have native blood you can't participate.
>>
>>707004
There's still whaling in Japan, Norway, the Faroe Islands, and I think some indigenous people in Alaska and Canada still do as well. From what I understand whaling is pretty heavily regulated, and a lot of it is done under the guise of research through permits.
>>
>>707004
I also recently finished mobs dick and while what he describes as hunting leviathans and battling monsters sounds amazing I'm afraid these sorts of endeavors are left to the past. We live in a cuck liberal hell hole now where nothing is sacred so enjoy your internet and tv and wait for the flood
>>
Protip: modern whaling is nothing like whaling in Moby Dick.

Also, since you have no whaling experience and it sounds like not even any meritime experience, even if you did land a job on a whaling ship you would probably be scrubbing toilets and washing dishes.
>>
File: 287px-Ivory_1880s.jpg (21 KB, 287x216) Image search: [Google]
287px-Ivory_1880s.jpg
21 KB, 287x216
>>707004
I now your feels OP. I have the same desire to hunt African Elephant and eat the marrow of a giraffe after reading the Allan Quartermain series by H. Rider Haggard. Africa in the 19th century would have been the greatest place.
>>
>>707502
Nevar forget
I'll be a Nantucketeer at heart
>>
>>707527
Me ivory leg propels me!
>>
>>707510
>meritime
>>
>>707004
What happened to the whale in the picture?
>>
>>707004
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle_Onassis#Whaling
Are you also one of the richest men in the world?
>>
>>707672
self ham scars
>>
>>707674
Yes
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.