[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Inexperienced Camper in Big Bend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9
File: damnyoufinenature.jpg (241 KB, 966x543) Image search: [Google]
damnyoufinenature.jpg
241 KB, 966x543
Hey /out/, I want to go camping at title related. I've been camping before, but only with big groups, and this time I'll be on my own in one of the most secluded National Parks in the US. I'm worried that I know too little about camping and I'll have to bug out in a couple of days instead of the week I want to spend over there. I've got a water proof tent, a sleeping bag, a cast iron skillet, a pair of good boots, 5 1-liter water bottles, and no idea what the fuck I'm doing.

How fucked am I? What would you bring? Anybody familiar with Big Bend who knows what's available nearby and what is must-see while I'm there?
>>
>>706955
OP here. I think that the weather will be really cooperative, ranging from low 50's to low 80's the entire time, and I know that all my stuff is fine for that. Low chances of rain, storms, etc.
>>
>>706963
Shameless OP bump
>>
File: GseKJ8w.jpg (97 KB, 600x689) Image search: [Google]
GseKJ8w.jpg
97 KB, 600x689
Bumping with random info graphs until OP can get advice

>and because I'm a new fag to going /out/ and would like some tips on what to bring on babbys first alone camping trip
>>
File: OVRvIw1.jpg (304 KB, 537x1221) Image search: [Google]
OVRvIw1.jpg
304 KB, 537x1221
>>
File: 1456655832891.jpg (210 KB, 620x1190) Image search: [Google]
1456655832891.jpg
210 KB, 620x1190
>>707030
My nigga! Check this out, I found this going through the catalog
>>
File: EHen0Lk.jpg (191 KB, 744x1052) Image search: [Google]
EHen0Lk.jpg
191 KB, 744x1052
>>707033
All the ones I have were from some massive imgur link someone sent me
>>
>>707038
They look like something that would be pretty helpful to someone trying to live in the woods for weeks
>>
File: TBE3XTp.jpg (249 KB, 870x1378) Image search: [Google]
TBE3XTp.jpg
249 KB, 870x1378
>>707205
I just figured they'd be helpful for when I do make time to go /out/ and they give me a reason to bump threads like this one
>>
>>707213
Dude, that one is very applicable. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to use the 4 man tent a friend lent me, or my tiny 1 man tent. I'm thinking, since I'm car camping, that I'll use the big one for my real campsite and the small one for hiking around and backcountry camping.
>>
Couple of questions the that'd help us help you. Are you camping next to your car, hiking in or both? How accessible is water in the park? If you're at an actual campsite fire should be allowed, if not, any burn bans?
>>
>>707231
I'm going to spend a couple of nights camping next to my car, as well as a couple of nights out in the backcountry probably 10 miles or so from where I'll leave my car.

They let you pick up water at the main campsites, but the website says that there's a five gallon/day limit.

I think for backcountry camping, they only let you have gas stoves, but I don't want to drop money on that so I'll probably cook food at my car campsite and then carry it out with me for backcountry. If I cook up some steak/rice, it would be fine to keep it out of coolers for a couple of days, right?
>>
There was a different Big Bend thread earlier this week, or maybe last.

Big Bend is 100 miles from anything civilized, you will need to bring all your own food.
There is a restaurant in the park, near the chisos campground. I ate my dinners there, ate granola bars for breakfast, and MRE meals for lunch.
There are water points all over the park, STAY HYDRATED. people die there every year from overheating/dehydration/100 miles from a hospital or first aid.
At night, the stars are incredible. Enjoy it.
I used a cheap pup tent from Target when I went, but have a better tent now. The cheap tent was all I needed, as the temps there are hot, not cold.
it hailed on me one afternoon. pea sized hail. I don't know how common that is.
I was worried about rattlesnakes, but never saw any. I did have a large pile of scat behind my tent one morning, it was probably a desert fox or raccoon.

I hiked in the mornings, but it got too hot to move after noon, so I spent my afternoons in the Santa Elena Canyon in the shade of the cottonwood trees reading my kindle. I hiked in the night, under a canopy of really bright stars.
I went alone, and met some really cool people in the campground. I stayed in the chisos mountain campground.
There is an auto trail that goes around/through the park. Everything you want to see is off of this trail.
>>
>>707242
Yeah, I know that it's far away from everything, and I think that's fantastic! I'm going for the rocks, the views, and the stars, and man am I excited for my first night there. The weather predictions I looked at all made it seem like day temperatures would be pretty manageable, maybe high 80's a couple of days, so I think as long as I have a few liters of water that's fine.

What time of year did you go? I'm heading out next week.
>>
>>707263
I went in May and it was 108 degrees. I roasted.
I wish it was cooler so I could have hiked more and gone further. It was just so damn hot I couldn't breathe.
I drank a lot of water. A lot. There is a gas station on the park and I was a regular appearance buying gatorades.
I took a camelback to hold my water and a 2 quart bladder canteen. I went through a lot of water because of the heat.
I hiked up to balancing rock one morning, and actually got a signal on my cell phone to call home and tell them I made it to the park safe and sound. There is no cell signal elsewhere in the park.
At night, from the chisos campground, there is a well worn path up into the mountains to stargaze at night. It is the most beautiful sight there is to see.
>>
>>707280
Man, I can't fucking wait! I'm so hyped.

That's a good idea with the gatorade, I'll probably get one of the dry mixes so I can always keep one bottle with gatorade in it instead of water.

You have any other suggestions? I feel like I'm not prepared enough.
>>
>>707304
man, other than taking what food you are going to want, staying hydrated that's a about it.

just be open to going to see whatever is next.

Get a map, and since you have a few days, devote a day to the chisos, a day to the santa elena canyon, and a day to the other side of the park, where the hot springs are. Go see everything the park has to offer.
>>
File: comprainbow.jpg (10 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
comprainbow.jpg
10 KB, 200x193
>>707317
Making this thread was worth it just to learn that THERE ARE HOTSPRINGS! Dude, fuck yes. Thank you.
>>
>>707320
when I went, it was 108 outside and the hot springs were still steaming. I have no fucking clue how hot they are, but I didn't get in.
>>
>>707322
Man, taking a hike and ending up at hotsprings sounds like paradise. I'll test the water first, but then you bet yer ass I'm jumping into it
>>
>>707344
its not really jumping into deep. ages ago a bathhouse was built over the hot springs, and now the ruins of that bathhouse are still there.

pic very very related
>>
File: hotsprings.jpg (289 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
hotsprings.jpg
289 KB, 900x675
another pic from the end of the trail
>>
>>707239
Should be fine. Bring good hearty food to eat while you're near your car, then granola bars, poptarts, whatever you like that won't spoil. Given the heat, I wouldn't take the steak longer than a day, but there are a lot of factors in that. If you're backpack camping for a few days straight, food won't be a concern as much as water. I'd suggest alternating backpacking and car camping to limit how much you need to carry
>>
>>707378
You may have just saved my ankles from going perpendicular to the rest of my legs, anon
>>
>>707378
mate your wife is pretty fat
>>
>>707378
I wish I had a wife and kids. If that's your family congratulations m8.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.