[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do people actually enjoy going to campgrounds? I just spent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault.jpg (171 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
171 KB, 1200x900
How do people actually enjoy going to campgrounds? I just spent a weekend at one in East Texas and it was horrible. I've always gone hunting for 3-5 days and brought a tarp and sleeping bag. That's my ideal version of camping. Staying at this shitty campground was awful. You can't even leave your site for a hour to hike or fish without some fucker stealing shit. There's always drunk people yelling in the distance. The nearby streams were cluttered with trash, beer bottles, etc. Are all campgrounds this messy? Keep in mind this was a free campsite on a National Park. I would expect better than this.
>>
Why would you stay at a campground?
>>
>>705343

Family wanted to because the weather was warm. They asked me to come along since I'm the "creepy guy that lives in the woods."
>>
>>705341
>free campsite on a National Park
No such thing that I'm aware of. Think OP is full of shit.
>>
File: DeSoto_Brad Lackey (1).jpg (14 KB, 350x230) Image search: [Google]
DeSoto_Brad Lackey (1).jpg
14 KB, 350x230
>>705341
Used to camp when I was a kid at campground but they were all state parks in Alabama. Never had a problem with anything getting stolen and I can only remember once there being obnoxious drunks. Probably depends a lot on where you are.
>>
Campgrounds are just a place for rednecks to behave like animals. The only people that actually like going there are white niggers.
>>
>>705360

There's a National Park campground about a hour for me (Virginia). Tent sites are free. Gotta pay for sites with water/RV hookups though. Literally nothing there but a game ward building. Don't even have community restrooms or showers. Mostly only hunters camp there during deer season and drunk degenerates during the Summer.
>>
>>705341
People that like to go to campgrounds don't actually enjoy the outdoors.
>>
>>705439

This.

I avoid campgrounds at all costs.

>Gay sex in toilet block, used condoms on floor
>Couple having an argument
>Drunk cunt "m8s weekend" up until 4am
>Kids running around screaming / complaining / hyperactive all day and night
>Rubbish everywhere
>Overly talkative retired couple with their caravan constantly bothering everyone
>Couple on the verge of divorce who argue the entire time because wifey wanted a hotel

Ugh. A big part of innawoods for me is getting away from shit like that, and being either alone or with my friends, not random shitheads.
>>
> with a bunch of mates in America
> doing a road trip across America
> we are representing Britain proud
> stop at a campground for a night or two
> hoist the English Flag
> "God Save The Queen!"
> have tea and set up tents
> suddenly we get looks
> a lot of looks
> angry looks
> oh shit what are we doing to piss off America this time?
> some drunken frat guys down the road stop by
> as soon as we talk they realize we are English
> frat boys tell us that tomorrow is the 4th of July
> ohhhhhh...
> hoist the flag to half staff in honor of the English
> "God Save King George!"
> rest of our time there is relatively calm
>>
>>705360
no such thing any more for sure
>>
>>707888
>> oh shit what are we doing to piss off America this time?
are you retarded? you are like the faggot hitting on kids in public wondering why he got curbstomped
>>
>>705341
Welcome to camping east of the rockies. Out here in the west, most campgrounds have a great deal of space between sites as well as trees and natural barriers, and often you have to walk a little ways from the parking pad to get to them.

I about fucking lost my shit when I went car camping in wisconsin to a state park that was literally a fucking grass field with little wood number sticks marking the campsites. 21 bucks a night my fucking ass!
>>
>>705341
>East Texas

You were in Sam Houston weren't you? Our camping here in Texas is different than elsewhere. We have an abundance of asshole campers. I can stay for a week in a CO state park or NF campground and never see anything of note. I can't stay two days in a TX state park without encountering what you describe and more.
>>
>>707914
I've camped in a campground in the Sabine National Forest as well as a couple of Corps of Engineers campgrounds on Lake Wright Patman and Lake 'O the Pines without any issues.

Brazos Bend State Park was TERRIBLE for tent camping though... On the plus side I did see plenty of alligators and deer on my 3 day stay there and I also caught a ~3lb catfish one evening out of an alligator infested pond though so it wasn't all bad.
>>
>>705341
>National Park
There are two National Parks in Texas, neither of them are in East Texas.
Do you not know the difference between a National Park and a National Forest? More likely you are just shit posting about life in the trailer park where you live.
>>
>>707905
>>707905
Listen, it was my 1st time in America, it just happened to fall on the very anniversary day they told us to fuck off. If nobody pointed it out I would have had no idea.

However we were respectful of the other Americans by lowering our flag in honor of there's and did it out of respect for our dead. On the 4th we had a lot of mutual respect from all the other campers who seemed to understand. At night we were invited to the campground hosting a picnic for everyone camping there, fireworks, dancing, and toasting Kind George. We were nicknamed "The Loyalist" Once again, good times.
>>
Never had anything stolen, but if I'm car camping I leave everything of value in my car (other than tent and bag.)

>go to one campsite last fall, bretty cold, around november
>sun is down, time for bed
>white nigger citytrash teenagers in site next to me, about 150 or 200 yards away
>blasting nigger music
>keeps me up
>inna-fucking-woods, brings boombox, ???

I wish they would just fuck off to a nightclub or wherever normies go.

As to why campgrounds, sometimes they have pretty natural features you want to take a few days exploring, but you can't backpack or freecamp there. As in, the vast majority of places ever. Sure, I could go to some boring, uneventful spit of woods with nothing of remark in it, or I could deal with potential human interaction and see something someone thought was worth making into a state park.
>>
>>708166
I took my friends car camping in the woods one time and they proceeded to just get drunk and blast loud music from someone's car until the wee hours of the morning like we were at a house party or something...

I'm cool with getting drunk while camping but I'd rather listen to the sounds of the forest and fire crackling while having fun conversations than have to yell over some shitty indie / folk music all night.

>friends keep pestering me to set up another camping trip
>I just respond noncommittally with , "yeah that was fun, we should really do that again sometime" and then never ever suggest a place / date to do it again
>>
>>708166
That happened to me in Hawk Campground, George Washington National Forest in West 'inbred' Virginia.
I had observed earlier in the day that one of the camp sites looked like it was used regularly as a party spot. I camped on the opposite side of the camp ground (200 yards?). They showed up around 11 and kept at it for hours. The noise from shit tier DNA travels far in the quiet of the night.
>>
>>708166
desu let normies have fun outdoors. Also its a public campground so cmon.
>>
My family goes to "campgrounds" that aren't even campgrounds. They don't even have tent sites anymore. It's all RV hookups or cabin rentals. Swimming pools, water slides, bumper boats, mini golf, etc. They don't even need to gather firewood because the park staff keep all camp sites stocked. It was full of drunks, loud teenagers, screaming kids, etc. At least they had hiking trails but they weren't but a 2 mile loop with nothing to see. They paid about $500/night per cabin and we rented 3 for our family. These cabins didn't have shit but bunk beds and a lounge area with a table and chairs. I've been to seedy $50 hotels with more to offer. Not to mention you had to pay another $15/day for a wristband just to walk around, use the showers, use the swimming pool, etc. This year I told them I'm picking a spot. Taking them on an easy 6 mile trail hike to campsite right by the beach. I reserved the spot but you know there's always dickheads that don't give a shit. So we will see what happens.
>>
>>708227
>$500/night
>pay another $15/day for a wristband

Your lie lost me here. Unless, of course, you were in Disney.
>>
>>708232
I believe it, lots of places require you to pay extra for "amenities". The wristbands are there to ensure that random travelers or people not even staying there don't just show up to get a shower or something and then leave. Almost sounds like a KOA or something to me. "Private Campgrounds" are usually nothing more than overpriced RV parks.
>>
>>708232

Not him but I have something very similar to me. They even charge $50/night for primitive stays. And the "wristband" to actually use all the amenities is $50/day.

http://campluray.com/
>>
>>708257
>camp Luray
This isn't fucking camping, triggered.
>>
>>705439
I wouldnt say that. Theyre great for people with kids who wanna go /out/, backcountry with an average 6 year old would be too much for most people

There are areas that publis grounds are fairly ok, bruce penninsula being one in my experience. That being said the only time i spent on my own site was making food and sleeping
>>
>>708224
4chan is anti-normie. I think if we were to hold a democratic vote there would be a landslide victory to kill normies.
>>
>>705341
>I just spent a weekend at one in East Texas and it was horrible. Keep in mind this was a free campsite on a National Park.

You need to get a new map. Texas only has two national parks (Big Bend, Guadalupe Mtns) and they are both in far west Texas.
>>
>>708288
At least all the fucking normies would be off 4chan.
I'd vote yes.
>>
Texas fag here. Is there any good places to camp near the dfw area? Outside of the area of course. But don't wanna drive all the way to big bend or guadaloopay
>>
>>708424
Second DFWfag wondering the same
>>
>>708300

There's like 3 or 4 National Forests north of Houston. I always hike the Angelina National Forest
>>
>>706028
>>705439
The real outdoorsmen camp at music festivals.

At least that's what I hear.
>>
Campgrounds can be decent during the week when you're traveling, since there's usually only a few other people there. On the weekend, unless you're in the middle of nowhere...might as well sleep in a walmart parking lot.
>>
>car campers complaining their /out/ing was shit
>car camping never being shit

Come on folks, unless you're 20 miles in, the plebs will find some way to fuck everything up. That's why anywhere close to civilization or roads of any sort are automatically shit. If you get rid of the roads and the amenities, you get rid of the lazy fucks. With those people gone, suddenly the trash and noise dissappears.
>>
>>708620
I see the closest alright looking one is the dinosaur valley or whatever but I don't really want to go to a park campsite attraction. It's cheap and I am pretty sure I have been there when I was a child I think but idr for sure
>>
>>708692
It's gonna be packed on nice weekends though. Mineral wells state park isn't too bad if you go to the primitive campsites. It's just kind of boring since it's away from the lake.

I really wanna go out to gaudalupe and get lost in the mountains for a couple weeks
>>
>>708692
It is a really nice park though. Just a lot of people.
>>
File: 1445523056510.gif (281 KB, 600x940) Image search: [Google]
1445523056510.gif
281 KB, 600x940
>>707888
>>
>>708715
Its cheap too. Maybe plan for a couple week days to go out
>>708712
I will check out online about the park, idk what I'm gonna do, just primitive camping and dicking around/reading most the time.
>>
>>707888
King George was the worst fucking King in English history.
>>
>>705341
I only go to one campground, and it's only because my friend and her husband get a site there every year and they're fun to hang around with. It's not a very popular spot either, so there's never too many people there. There's a little trout stream that runs across the road where you pull into the place, too.

My favorite spot to go is kind of a campground, but it's free and you drive down this dirt road for an hour before even reaching the first site, and each site is completely secluded. There's a path on each site that leads back into the woods a ways and then a big opening.

I've seen quite a few moose and bears up there. A small stream runs behind most of the sites but I haven't caught anything other than crawfish out of there. But there's a river before you go down the dirt road, we usually hit that up before we set up camp and the day we leave.
>>
>>708729
I would go with Richard III, Edward I, and Mary I. but to each there own.

George III was just greedy and unreasonable
>>
>>705424
This.

/thread
>>
>usually a hunter/fisher camping type of person
>friend drags me along a hiking trip
>go to this state park
>walking down trail
>it was rare to not hear people screaming and being obnoxious in the distance
>see litter all over camps
>beer cans, candy wrappers, etc.
>witness some retard pissing in a stream
>witness a woman using hand soap in a steam
>complete strangers ask if they can share a campsite with you
>not any wildlife in site to look at

So is this how all places are? I prefer to just walk in the woods and build my own shelter on hunting trips. These populated hiking trails and campsites are disgusting.
>>
>>705341
I live in east Texas. Where were you staying?
>>
>>708626
I can confirm, music festivals are the best place to camp.
>>
>>705341
If we're being technical about it there aren't actually any National Parks in east Texas
>>
>>705364
I haven't had any issues at oak mountain in AL, though it's a state park. We're outdoors friendly for the most part
>>
>>707888
>>708119
This is some of the funniest shit I've ever read.

America is famous for celebrating accomplishments that other people made, and blaming the descendants of people who did shit hundreds of years ago. That's why our all black colleges and black scholarships aren't seen as racist, when it most definitely is.
>>
File: FUCKING NORMIES REEEEEEEEEE.jpg (420 KB, 720x879) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING NORMIES REEEEEEEEEE.jpg
420 KB, 720x879
>>708257
>Cabins starting at $804

s-stop...
>>
>>705439
I'm a normie who's relatively new to camping, not in the best of shape and stuck in nj, how do i upgrade my tastes?
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 543x321) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 543x321
>>711425
>lunch with the bears
Seems worth it.
>>
>>711425
804 for 7 nights isn't actually that bad. Here in oregon there are a few parks with cabins but they're barebones and I think are like 30-50 a night.
>>
>>708718

America: Britain's worst invention
>>
I go to campgrounds in Pennsylvania all the time. They are beautiful the people are 95% of the time pretty chill but you get Assholes everywhere you go.
>>
File: Wisconsin-parks-and-trails.png (491 KB, 689x698) Image search: [Google]
Wisconsin-parks-and-trails.png
491 KB, 689x698
>>707913
Sounds like you were in the lowest 1/3rd of the state consisting of the Eastern Ridges/Lowlands, Western Uplands and the lowest part of the Central Plains. The bottom part of the state is the most populated so everybody gets a bit crammed in; you have to go north to find the hidden gems. Try seeing >>701027.
>>
>>711425
The only way I'm paying that price is if those bears represent Chicago via sports.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1449760253684.jpg (11 KB, 398x397) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1449760253684.jpg
11 KB, 398x397
>>707914
Central texas used to have very quiet pristine spots, but thanks to the Internet and buzzfeed articles over "top 10 hidden places you must see!", they are all overpacked.
I'm a volunteer at colorado bend state park and have watched the park go from a quiet fishing camp to all out tourist destination (at the waterfall)

And not all state parks are dirty btw, depends on the staff. But the overcrowding is becoming a serious problem across texas.
Austin area folks can't even enjoy Jacobs Well or Hamilton pool anymore because of it.
>>
>>705341

The only time I'll use a campground is if I'm bicycle touring, and they happen to have showers or something. Most of the time I would literally rather sleep in a ditch.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.