[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help me to devise plants and objects that would make a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (384 KB, 800x536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
384 KB, 800x536
Please help me to devise plants and objects that would make a small dark outdoor space comfy.

Pic related it's a yard on a British terraced house almost exactly like my own. It's about 1.5x4 meters and bounded on 4 sides by brick walls.

Needless to say, it doesn't get much light. I was thinking of:
>resurfacing the ground (tile?)
>painting walls a light colour
>wall mounted planters on the shared wall for a few herbs (gets some light)
>free standing chimnea
>maybe raised moss planters or beds, cultivating mosses on objects (tips/how?)
>other extreme-shade-loving plants e.g. mushrooms on a stack of logs
>rock bed and/or motorised water feature

What do you think of my ideas? They're just notions at this stage so tips and advice welcome.
>>
Cubensis will grow good, they dont need much light since there is no photosynthesis. For cannabis you will need some serious light. I would suggest LED since its gone so for compared to old days when they were still shit... Just buy high output LED diodes like 1-5w and get like 500w total and you will have some place for few widows to get fully developed. Hydro would help a lot simce you can kinda get some help from proper nutrients to cover lack of good light. I would suggest go with autoflowers they stay small are not so potent but you will look like a badass gardner to your neighbor!
>>
>>703599
I'm not trying to grow any drugs, maybe just cooking mushrooms if the light and climate permit. And cooking herbs e.g. Mint, parsley
>>
>>703604
Get lights and grow what u want still... Shrooms take about 2-3 years for shitake to start produce so forget it
>>
>>703593
Google "living graffiti" and see where that takes you. Also, ferns love low light areas and they're pretty.
>>
>>703593
>Pic related it's a yard on a British terraced house almost exactly like my own. It's about 1.5x4 meters and bounded on 4 sides by brick walls.

Jesus, what horrors. Maybe you should get an Oculus Rift and play, "The Forest," or "The Long Dark." Because that space is depressing as fuck.

Basically, any indoor plants that can handle your climate will work. Are you allowed to paint it? Painting it white normally gives a space the appearance of being bigger.

>>703621
This is also my answer.
>>
>>703606
Why forget it?
>>703621
Yeah I was thinking of doing some simple moss art. (I tried it on a different property but it maybe didn't work cause it was too bright).

The fern idea is really good especially if it's going to be a minimalistic space.
>>
>>703593
Don't paint brick. It'll significantly lower your property value.

Mushrooms would do well there, but would take up a ton of space and would look like crap, since most people associate fungus with, well fungus. Planters on the wall will just make it darker in there, unless the wall is less than 4' tall (1.3m).

I'd moss the wall, maybe in a decorative pattern, like in the shape of a tree (moss can be removed later with bleach) and/or add a large mirror or mirrored tile on the house to give the illusion of a larger space and let in more light for a raised bed garden at the far end (raising it just a couple feet should bring it close enough to the light). Tiling the floor in a golden yellow or light green will make the area appear much brighter, as will painting the bench white.

Look at me, I'm Martha fucking Stewart.
>>
>>703738
>It'll significantly lower your property value.

What are you a gypsy?
>>
>>703777
I don't know if I should point out that that doesn't make any sense or just respect the trips.
>>
>>703593
>meters

Metres you americanised cunt
>>
>>703994
Only people who move around a lot or are in real estate speculation care about property values. I doubt he's in the latter.
>>
>>704090
It isn't pronounced "Met res." It is "meet ers", knuckle dragger.
>>
File: furnwall.jpg (1016 KB, 3226x2150) Image search: [Google]
furnwall.jpg
1016 KB, 3226x2150
build a fern wall.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
>>704103
That's kinda what it looks like now but in a bad way. Though I think a potted fern or two would be good

>>704090
Sorry

Picture related guys it's the actual yard at 4.30pm today. Depressing as fuark, I know, but the oil tank can go because I'm getting gas. I'm looking to completely renovate (house too).
>>
>>704117
Scrub/powerwash then white wash those walls that will help a massive amount.

But, yeah use indoor house plants for that type of low light situation.
>>
>>704162
Agreed, power wash... get some fine white sand and sprinkle this into the brick path, then sweep away excess.

White wash the walls and repaint the window sills and trim. Paint the interior door a cheerful sun yellow. Chiminea, some garden chairs and it would be nice place to sit.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.