[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CA-stealth camping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
File: ANF.jpg (592 KB, 2048x906) Image search: [Google]
ANF.jpg
592 KB, 2048x906
alright guys so I am curious as to how hard is it to camp anywhere in a national forest. some call it stealth camping/illegal camping. etc.. what im trying to say is. Is it possible and if so how hard is it to do it without getting caught? i live in CA and have considered angeles forest as a first option. a few weeks ago driving down angeles crest i saw a tent which had been randomly set above the highway with no fucks given, mind you i was driving there at 7am. I know the sheriff's traffic is heavy on this highway so it makes me wonder what the consequences of doing so will look like. any advice is helpful...
>>
>>702888
>national forest
>camping illegal

might wanna research that a little better
>>
>>702888

You do not need to stealth camp in a National Forest, dispersed camping is free on like 99% of NF land.
>>
>>702889
>>702892
These....

You can go anywhere you want, just be super careful about people drinking and shooting guns or blowing stuff up. It's what people do out there.
>>
Why do you guys always worry about getting caught so much? The worst that can happen is that the land owner comes and tells you to go away.

Or is this more of a privacy thing? Are you guys constantly jerking off innawoods or something?
>>
>>702911
National Forests are national land anyways. It's not private most of the time, although there can be some exceptions. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess that you aren't American? If you end up wandering on people's land, lighting fires, using their wood, etc., it's a good way to get shot. I'm super careful about private land. As usual, most people are reasonable and will tell you to fuck off or call the cops, but others will shoot on sight.
>>
>>702914
Well yea anyone can shoot you anywhere. If you really worry about that then dont even go outside. Not everyone is a triggerhappy maniac.

If you see no
BEWARE PRIVATE PROPERTY
WE SHOOT ON SIGHT
signs, and just stumble on someones land, youre fine.
>>
>>702911
It makes them feel like a dangerous rule-breaker.
>>
>>702911
in the wild you are responsible for yourself. there is no hivemind protecting you. so yes, its far easier to believe satanists congregate in the middle of the woods than at the corner cafe
>>
>>702936
Oh come on, dont be so edgy. Its 2016.

If someone has acres of land and sees someone camping on his land hes going to assume you didnt know its his property, and he will just ask you to leave if he even cares at all.
Youre not setting up camp in someones bedroom.
>>
>>702888
I feel like I've just been reposting the same six things for the last year. Y'all need to lurk more.

I frequently hike or bike with no intention of ever staying in a hotel. While forestry land is by far my preferred place to camp because there's very few limitations and restrictions, I have had to stealth camp on occasion. Find your spot after dark, get just far enough back that you can see the road, set up a low profile, earth tone or camo tent or preferably bivy, and pack up and leave before dawn. Obviously, no fires. Chances are, no one driving by at 60mph is going to notice, even less chance they'll care enough to do anything about, and even if the landowner finds you, they're usually pretty compassionate when you explain that it was getting dark, and you just needed to stay off the highway so you didn't get ran over. None of which are issues when you're on forestry land, as long as you're a citizen you own it as much as anybody.
>>
>>702888
National Forests put a limit on the number of days you can stay in one spot. After x number of days (7?) you have to move at least 5 miles.
I've seen some campsites in George Washington National Forest where it appeared that people had been living there for awhile.
Is that the kind of 'stealth camping' you are looking to do?
>>
>>702971
How are they going to prove how long youve been there?
>>
>>702974
i used to ask that about parking tickets
>>
>>702971
Sixteen days in most places, but I have seen it limited to fourteen. Find a good string of lakes and just hop from one to the next every couple of weeks.
>>
>>702911
I dunno man, you ever seen Rambo?
>>
thanks for all the replies, i got what i needed. now I'm scared to run into some satanists up there......
>>
>>702940
It's not so simple as that. Some people are very protective of their land, but they usually post signs or use the purple marks. There are also cultural shifts going on in some places.

Real world example: My father-in-law used to go trout fishing in Montana every year. Apparently, sometime in the last few decades there's been a lot of contention over stream access. According to him, it used to be that up in Montana the general feeling was that you were a in a pretty sorry state if you owned so little land that you were really worried about the occasional person fishing a stream running through your land (the stream itself is considered public land, even if it's within your property line). But when rich folks from the coasts started coming in and buying up ranches they didn't share that sentiment.
>>
>>702914
What happens if you're out of water, food and about to die of exposure and you come across some guys farm? Instead of being helped do you just get shot in America?
>>
>>703210
Probably not. But some people are crazy assholes.
>>
>>703210
No, you knock on the door and explain your situation the best you can; then you get invited in for a hot meal and a stiff drink.
>>
>>703212
>>703213
This is reassuring to a degree.
>>
>>703217
I think that more than likely, you will be treated well and not shot at.

But, when it comes to farms and ranches, livelihood is on the line, and some of these families are just scraping by in spite of their land wealth. I can say from experience as a midwest boy from a farming community, that when I've pulled off the main road into some farmer's driveway to ask directions to the nearest civilization, more than once I've had it subtly communicated to me that I am not welcome and I'd better move along as quick as possible.

It's not out of meanness, but in some of these more isolated places if they don't know you they don't want to get to know you by you showing up at their house.
>>
>>703221
>off the main road into some farmer's driveway to ask directions to the nearest civilization
Sure, you might have some folks get miffed that you're on their land without good reason (and no, asking directions is not a good reason to the more reclusive country-dwellers). If, on the other hand, you are on their land for real help (starving/dehydrated/exhausted), they are more likely to help than turn you away. Granted, if you need to rest they may very well put you in the barn instead of inside the farmhouse, but that's more a matter of self-preservation from their viewpoint. I have never once been turned away by country folk if I actually NEEDED their help. Now, mind you, it's only happened to me personally a couple of times. However, I'm confident that if I am ever in the middle of nowhere and in bad shape, I can get help from good honest country folk. They're some of the best people on the planet, IMHO. Far more good-natured than city folk (generally speaking).
>>
>>703225
>asking directions is not a good reason to the more reclusive country-dwellers)
In my defense, I was lost as fuck and almost outta gas.

But yeah, in general I think you're right. I've just personally known a lot of farmers who are instantly suspicious of people they don't know and you're exactly right, it's a self-preservation thing. To them city-folk (especially young men) only come out to the country to cause trouble, which is gonna cost them money. Most farms use this year's profits to pay last year's loans and the whole cycle starts over.

But yeah, if you're in real trouble they're more likely to help than not.
>>
>>702927
Missing the point. If you're trespassing, you might get shot. Obviously people can shoot you anywhere, there also could be aliens in my brain. Ad hominem renders arguments moot. I'm telling you that if you go on someone's land, they have the legal right to shoot you. Some people might exercise that right.
>>
>>703210
Where are you camping that there are farms nearby?
Farms are near roads, and roads are civilization
>out of water, food and about to die of exposure
Keep driving till you see a 7-11
>>
>>703046
Don't worry. Redemption is only a few Miles away.
>You sure gotta purdy mouth..
>>
>>703430
im sure he was referring to a bit more dubious a farm
>>
>>702956
Seconding this. If the land owner doesn't know you're there, they can't shoot you or ask you to leave. You can nap later in the day in legit public land as necessary.
>>
>>703342
Are you actually retarded? Just because people put up "trespassers will be shot" signs everywhere does not mean they have weight under the law. While the law does vary from state to state, almost all recognize that you can use deadly force if you have reasonable fear of safety. Someone merely entering your land, and not your home (which is an important distinction) does not de jure give you the right to kill on sight.

Texas actually has one of the loosest criminal codes on deadly force, and it allows deadly force when such force is immediately necessary to stop active or imminent commission of a felony or criminal mischief. Again, even here, simply being on the property does not constitute reason to use deadly force unless there is also an additional element of criminal action or fear of safety.

Of course, this still doesn't always stop people from shooting to kill on any occasion, but it's certainly not as broadly legal as you'd expect.

So yeah, you're full of shit. 99.9% of the time you walk around someone's property without committing additional crimes, there's no legal basis to use deadly force, but that doesn't always stop schizophrenic hermits from killing because their poor understanding of the law says they can.
>>
>>704975
Castle Doctrine dude. Protects you from a shitload of legal recourse. You go ahead and trespass on someone's land who doesn't want you there, I look forward to hearing your report. Maybe I should have specified that I'm from the south where the laws lend themselves far more to protecting your land and home than other parts of the country. I guess I was a little broad in my 2nd to last sentence. It's not hard to shoot someone dead who is illegally on your land, then say they were yelling obscenities at me and threatening me and seemed deranged, so I felt unsafe and took him down.

Also, no, I'm not actually retarded. Just a guy who has had guys pull guns on me for accidentally walkin on their land when it was poorly marked. My friend has been shot at before. It happens, not everyone who lives way back in the woods is some homey old couple who will invite you in for pie and cider.

"Because the mere occurrence of trespassing—and occasionally a subjective requirement of fear—is sufficient to invoke the castle doctrine", from wikipedia granted, but every place has different laws and applications of the law. I wouldn't trust a court, especially a local, small town judge, to appropriately rule on a subjective law such as the castle doctrine in my (the trespasser's) favor, would you?
>>
>>705041
This whole argument is pointless. People who are going to shoot you for accidentally being on their land probably don't care to know the laws that well. Even if they did, them being wrong in the eyes of the law won't help you if your dead.
>>
>>705053
More people get shot by cops than by land owners "protecting" their property from general trespass.
>>
>>705237
fuck you and fuck you twice for even attempting to use that as an argument. if you dont know why not only that is poorly made, but inherently flawed, get the fuck off the internet and go meditate under a waterfall
>>
>>703342
Not true. Most states require either a reasonable fear for your safety or for them to physically break into your house before you can shoot, often both.
>>
I'm one of the most autistic, "dont touch my things","leave me alone" fuckers I know, and I would probably be cautious of people at first, but even I would have to be an idiot to go "YEEHAW" and start shooting right off the bat.

>camping on my land
I'd politely ask their intentions, but make it firmly known I'd rather them not stay there. If their site is clean and they seem like good folk I'd let them stay the night and leave in the morning, but if I don't like the looks of them then they will have to pack their shit and leave within the hour.

>lost or need food.
Make them a quick meal, and ride them into the nearest town. Again I would be cautious. If they give me attitude then they recieve nothing.
>>
>>705274
approaching them means you in fact do not care for your individual well being, and that you are intrinsically reliant on the hivemind to protect you
>>
>>705279
How does that fucking work? I'mtalking to somebody on my own land by myself and that makes me reliant on other people to save me? Are you retarded? Do you need to tighten your headgear? Did you forget to empty your spitcup and get spit all over your hands? Think before you post.
>>
You can camp anywhere in the National Forest as long as you don't get caught with drugs, alcohol, or shooting guns. It's the National Parks that are stricter. I got fined for building camp about a mile off a hiking trail. He said I'm only allowed to camp in designated camp sites on the park.
>>
>>705281
you obviously have a baseline of human compassion. you assume that person cares for your wellbeing and wouldnt beat you to sleep and rob you blind. you dont go outside, or if you do, it is only by the grace of god that you are still alive, because it is apparent you do not know what self reliance is
>>
>>705289
Didn't I say I'd be cautious? I didnt say I'd leave my gun at home and show them all of my belongings. I go outside quite often while using public transportation to get to my work in a bad area off of Phoenix. I cross scary motherfuckers every day. I can read people and handle myself if need be. Thanks for your concern though, no matter how misguided.
>>
>Figured I'd ask here instead of starting a similar thread

If it's not posted otherwise, is dispersed camping legal at state parks?
>>
>>705405
Probably depends on the state. I'd look into local laws.
>>
>>705256
Butt-hurt cop pissed off because he hasn't killed his quota of niggers this week.
>>
>>705237
That's a pretty flawed argument. How many people come into contact with a police officer compared to the number of people who get caught trespassing out in the boonies? I'd bet that a higher percentage of former instances go smoothly than the latter but we'll never have the data to know for sure.
>>
>>705525
only a racist would argue with me the post
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.