[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People who have worked at pic related, what should I expect?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: 28-34-15-9-4-114-000454822-rei.jpg (30 KB, 457x215) Image search: [Google]
28-34-15-9-4-114-000454822-rei.jpg
30 KB, 457x215
People who have worked at pic related, what should I expect?
>>
>>702416
a job
>>
Guiding yuppies through basic gear like toddlers
>>
>>702440
Go home, homeless dude that calls anything a yuppie.
>>
>>702416
Guy who insists on 80 liter high alpine pack and $600 tent for an beach overnight in june, then returns the items after use complaining about condensation.

Guy who insists on $150 tent and 35 liter daypack for 5-day expedition to Denali

55-year old lady who hits on you every time she comes in for a new fuel cannister

Obese guy who drops $5 grand on equipment in one day and is never seen again
>>
>>702459
Also lady who complains you sold her a bad water filter when in reality she just shat on her food indirectly
>>
>>702416
Low pay, unpredictable hours, sweet pro-deals, decent benefits for part timers, cool coworkers, clueless customers, rotating management staff.

I worked at the Seattle Flagship for four years, met some really awesome people. The only thing I would hazard is that it's VERY hard to get by if you're a sales monkey and it's your only job. It's better as a side-job.
>>
>>702444
that's not me but i did come in here to say that
>>
>>702459
> nice
>>
>>702416
My understanding was that you can request incredible amounts of time off or just transfer to a different store if you randomly decide to travel seasonally. Its an employee-owned business that sells outdoor equipment. Most of the stockholders probably don't own homes, and work just enough to pay for gear upgrades and plane tickets.

My dream job desu.
>>
Rock climbers to come in and make you look like a fool.

I've never met an REI employee I trusted to know what I needed.

REI doesn't have cameras so I would steal all that overpriced trash they sell.
>>
>>702723
>I've never met an REI employee I trusted to know what I needed.

this. op, learn to recognize when you're not needed/wanted by a customer. true, you're going to deal with a lot of retards/newbies, but not all of us need you hovering and trying to adjust the backpack we're trying on.
>>
>>702623
It's actually not an employee owned company, it's a customer owned Co-op (though most employees are also members)

But yeah, it's super easy to take time off or transfer stores. They're very big on work/life balance.
>>
>>702459
>Obese guy who drops $5 grand on equipment in one day and is never seen again

He now exists in the woods, having built a cabin and forged a life for himself amongst the animals
>>
I don't know, but I heard something about their CEO being a total fuckhead and something about losing your job if you don't sell enough of some preferred customer bullshit thing. Mind you, I heard this all secondhand from a redditfag friend who said the rei CEO did a Reddit AMA and got #rekt. I'm sure you can probably Google it and find out what actually happened, if you can tolerate reading shit on leddit
>>
>>702459
I'm doing this alongside college classes in the Chicago area, so I expect mostly selling people clothes.

>>702468
Basically I'm doing this to fund a few trips, since I'm a college student and live with my parents for the time being. Luckily my job isn't gonna be sales but customer service.

>>702723
I'm already a rock climber and have been putting together a trad rack :^)

Most of the climbers in my area get their gear at the gym anyways.
>>
>>702829
It's definitely a great college side job, have fun OP.
>>
File: 0.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>702829
>putting together a trad rack
>thinking that makes you qualified to give advice
>mfw

congratulations on proving >>702723's point
>>
>>702835
He just said he's going to be at the CS desk, not the sales floor.
>>
>>702839
and no one's ever started in one department and moved to another
>>
>>702841
Well then I guess you'd better not shop at REI, problem solved.
>>
>>702841
Former REIfag here. They don't move people in to climbing, snowsports or cycle-paddle unless/until they have experience in those sports.
>>
>>702895
i don't. i just go to try stuff on before ordering it online at 2/3s the price

>>702898
uh-huh, and how carefully do they vet them? because the few times i've made the mistake of asking a question of the climbing "expert" in the sf bay area reis (which should have some real climbers) i've received blank stares followed by hming and hawing and vague bullshit in an attempt to cover their ignorance
>>
>>702906
>I don't

Then why are you even in this thread?
>>
>>702907
to shit on rei and its excessively pushy and over-confident in their ignorance employees because they annoy the shit out of me
>>
>>702910
So you're just trolling, got it.
>>
>>702906
Well I can't speak personally about the SF stores, but the stores I did work at there was always a waiting list to get into those departments and generally only the people that knew their shit got in.

Sorry you had a couple bad experiences.
>>
>>702910
You don't even go /out/
>>
>>702912
no, trolling would be if i didn't care and was just shitposting for a reaction. i actively dislike rei because most of its employees i have interacted with and i want people to know that, in my experience, they generally know much less than they think/claim they know.

>>702915
my guess is that the real climbers around here are either climbing or working at real climbing places.
>>
File: cathedral peak.jpg (1 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
cathedral peak.jpg
1 MB, 2304x1728
>>702916
>>
>>702918
>www.yelp.com
>>
>>702918
Well, you've accomplished your goal. Everyone in this thread knows you hate REI, let's move on.

>>702416
OP, you're gonna have a great time and meet some awesome people with your new job. Some of my best /out/ buddies are ones I met working there.
>>
File: it's what's for dinner!.jpg (43 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
it's what's for dinner!.jpg
43 KB, 600x450
>>702924
>wants me to move on
>responds to me

retard

look op, here's the take away: realistically probably 90% of my interactions with rei employees have been neutral, if not positive. BUT that 10% where some ignorant cocksucker has to try to force himself into my shopping thinking he knows more than me has completely overridden the vast majority.

don't be that cocksucker.
>>
File: 1456541197732.jpg (34 KB, 294x263) Image search: [Google]
1456541197732.jpg
34 KB, 294x263
>>702463
Or directly...
>>
OP, definitely apply for a Challenge Grant. Set yourself an ambitious /out/ goal and you might $300 worth of REI gear to help complete it.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.