[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hiking Boots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 77
File: OCBLK.jpg (171 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
OCBLK.jpg
171 KB, 900x900
Hey /out/, what boots do you use for hiking? I had pic related for a year (they are actually snow boots, since I'm moving up north where there will be snow) in which I never did any actual hiking, and now that I actually went hiking for the past 5 days, I hiked a total of around 25 miles in rocky terrain and to my dismay they got fucked up terribly by he end of it.

I've heard people here say they have hiked over 200 miles or something, what boots can put up with that? Which ones do you personally use and are they any good?
>>
File: 35046.jpg (89 KB, 635x423) Image search: [Google]
35046.jpg
89 KB, 635x423
>>698005
I just bought a pair of Arcteryx Bora 2's for a trek in Patagonia. 100 miles later plus some hikes around my home, I've probably got close to 200 miles on them total already and they are showing very few signs of wear. I had some other issues with the lower lace hook causing some pressure but after I got that sorted they fit and feel pretty great. Maybe a little warm if you're not going to be in water, snow or cold, but even hiking around in California they weren't too bad, but maybe not ideal.
>>
>>698005
Only newbs wear boots
>>
File: P1200032.jpg (5 MB, 4272x2856) Image search: [Google]
P1200032.jpg
5 MB, 4272x2856
389km so far with my Meindls Borneos MFS boots, in all king of trail : grass, rocky, muddy, sandy, snowy, icy, dry, soaked.

They have signs of wear, but they are not fucked up at all and can go for another 400 km.

The boots in your pic are for snow only, that's why they don't hold well in rocky terrain.
>>
Merrell

MOAB
O
A
B
>>
>>698367

Fair enough, yeah I bought them solely because they were snow boots
>>
I do most of my hiking in shoes, Oboz arêtes specifically.

I really only break out the heavy boots (also Oboz) if there's snow or I'm going scrambling.
>>
File: 317761_366_45.jpg (36 KB, 366x366) Image search: [Google]
317761_366_45.jpg
36 KB, 366x366
>>698439
Derp
>>
File: 0.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>698013
You fell for those fucking boots? They're the shittiest fucking boots you could get to hike in. I'm convinced everyone at arcteryx are 20 year olds who've only outdoored in their back yard with their iphones. these boots have no functionality in the field what so ever. I can't believe you paid for these, goddamn it makes me mad.

Also i'm going to post some real fucking boots.
>>
>>698690
What are those? How much?
>>
test 2
>>
How far do you walk and with how much weight that you need boots?

I find trail runners fine for very rough terrain. They are far more comfortable, light and have excellent airflow for hot weather while also not soaking up water as the material is synthetic, just won't last as long.

The airflow is amazing to me. Unless it's winter (our winters are short and mild) I wouldn't want to go back to any kind of shoe without good airflow. Sweaty feet feel horrible.

I know there are trail shoes more durable than the ones I bought too. Boots are heavy and uncomfortable imo.

I'd be interested in something with the same qualities of my trail runners while also being longer lasting. Mainly looking for lightness + airflow and comfort..
>>
File: animals in his heart.jpg (190 KB, 610x411) Image search: [Google]
animals in his heart.jpg
190 KB, 610x411
test 3
>>
>>698816
vasque st. elias
$140-150
>>
>>698076
This. Boots are garbage.
>>
>>698372
How good are the waterproof ones?
>>
Meindl Perfekt

Best boots I ever owned.
>>
>>698005
I got about 600 miles on ascics running shoes. Good luck finding someone who has ever hiked more than 200 in boots
>>
>>698920

Anyone who advocates trail runner has literally never experienced the outdoors further than hiking the same path thousands of other people do every year. If you ever really get /out/ and do some off trail, serious terrain... You'll soon learn that boots are essential. It's okay... You gotta start somewhere!
>>
>>699056
I think it's also a climate issue. Probably all those sneakerfags must be from Arizona or some other arid hot place
>>
>>699060

Ironically I'm from AZ... Lol
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 640x796) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 640x796
you are going to hate me right?
>>
File: Danner Mountain Pass Jet Black.jpg (237 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Danner Mountain Pass Jet Black.jpg
237 KB, 1200x1200
I'm really tempted to buy a pair of these Danner Mountain Pass boots. They're pricey but I've had some cash come in and want to splurge on something that will be great and last years.

Do any of you have experience with Danner?

Looking for a pair of good looking, not overly huge/flamboyant, waterproof and breathable (gore tex) boots. Suggestions?
>>
File: 2015-12-07_22-08-22.jpg (412 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-07_22-08-22.jpg
412 KB, 1200x800
>>699069
Meh, probably comfy, lightweight and all, but all those intricately designed ones (same applies to Salomons, Moabs, as well as sneakers) probably fall apart after a month or two because they have way too much shit glued/stitched together.
So if you can afford it, go for it
For my part I stick to simpler designs, like my 10 year old army boots (admittedly the leather on the inside heels is fucked up beyond repair now though), will definitely replace them with the follow-up model soon
>>
I love my Hi-Tech Altitude 4 boots. They've held up pretty well and the waterproofing still works after all the abuse I put them through. Best of all, they're cheap. One thing I'm a bit worried about is that the treads are starting to get a bit more worn than I like, but I wear them every day for my job and hiking, so I'm not all that surprised.
>>
whats wrong with sneakers for hiking (in summer)? boots seem rather heavy
>>
Hi guys i dont feel my question qould be worthy of its oqn thread but i miat ask this. I recently landed a new job where i work in a giant warehouse freezer. Temps are -20. Farenheit regularly. What is a good boot? I currently have a company provided steel. Toe winter boot that has a removable insulation tyoe mocassin. The only down side is that after an hour in the freezer the steel toes condensate and frost up. Any suggestions?
>>
>>700826

Nothing. Whatever works for you and your environment.
>>
File: boots.jpg (129 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
boots.jpg
129 KB, 500x332
Got these a few months ago, they serve me well in the woods
>>
>>700826
>>700850
This, when doing light hikes/walks in high summer (or year-round in hot/dry climates), sneakers or in some cases even barefoot is definitely the thing to do.

Just can't understand general boot-hate desu. Here where it's mostly cool and wet/muddy, I generally prefer boots most of the time

So go for what fits you best
>>
File: vasque.jpg (662 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
vasque.jpg
662 KB, 1920x1440
Just picked these up today, did I do ok /out/?
>>
>>700867
Where to cop?
>>
>>700867

Logger boots are king. Bought some for wildland fire and now it's my go-to for outdoor boots.
>>
What are some companies that make 4E+ width? There is New Balance, but the quality looks shiet.
>>
File: Caapture.png (94 KB, 471x235) Image search: [Google]
Caapture.png
94 KB, 471x235
Does anyone have any experience with approach shoes?
>>
>>700881
i don't hate boots at all i'm just completely new to all of this
>>
>>701365
>not water proof
>no ankle support
>no proper steel fastenings for the laces
>probably not very insulative

Nah mate
>>
File: example.jpg (209 KB, 1026x1000) Image search: [Google]
example.jpg
209 KB, 1026x1000
>>701365
>fast lacing
>lacing ends before the tip
>fully mesh shit

wtf how can they sell this for approach?

real approach shoes are constructed like light tanks. adidas sells cabriolet.
>>
>>701528
Not talking about you personally desu, just all those who watched some barefoot/minimalist hippies on Youtube and now feel "educated"/"enlighted"
>>
>>701577
Can you reccomend any?
>>
>>700867

Won't people think you're an insecure manlet with those boots?
>>
>>701552
>ankle support
>a real thing
>>
>>701617
If you can find some older 5.10 shoes, they're bomber
>>
Anyone have any experience with Merrell shoes?
>>
>>699158
Danner make some of the greatest boots.
Have a pair of Tachyons (athletic military boot) and Mountain Lights, which are fucking amazing. Father and grandfather have also worn Danners for years and been extremely happy.
I suggest looking at White's boots too.
>>
>>701698

I've nearly rolled my ankle a few times. Good thing I had ankle support.
>>
>>699063

That's not ironic, it's just coincidental.
>>
File: Merrell.jpg (70 KB, 702x536) Image search: [Google]
Merrell.jpg
70 KB, 702x536
Been wearing these for years. To help with waterproofing your shoes buy some scotchgard water repellant.
>>
>>701777
thanks dude.

I'm about to pull the trigger but I'm thinking I'll wait until tomorrow morning. I'm in the UK so it's a £300 purchase.

How is the support? Stiff enough for strenuous climbs?
>>
>>701962

This is why no one likes you...
>>
>>701962
how the fuck do you know?

he didn't say if he was pro-sneaker or pro-boot!

if he is pro-sneaker, then it is not situational irony.

if he is pro-boot, after anon has just suggested that arizonafags are anti-boot, then that could be considered situation irony.

this is not even taking into account other types of irony.

TL;DR there is not enough information in the post to support your claim.
>>
>>701769
I wore merrell shoes for ages. I love them, I still have them, I just wear steel caps all the fucking time now that I'm on call a lot.
>>
>>700845
Tredsafe sole, composite (not steel) toe if you're concerned about potential injury from mishap or general clumsiness. Have a look at Shoes for Crews.
>>
>>701769
I've been wondering about Merrell as well since some of the reviews I've seen said Merrell has gone down in quality. I want a pair of Ventilators for the summer but I don't want them to fall apart on me quickly.

Anyone buy Merrell 8-12 months ago? Still holding up?
>>
File: salomonmidgtx.jpg (40 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
salomonmidgtx.jpg
40 KB, 550x550
has anyone tried salomon mid gtx light trail shoes? I was thinking to get some but maybe someone had some thoughts on them before I went ahead with that. or maybe just opinions on salomons in general.
>>
I have a question about going barefoot. Every Australian I've ever seen /out/ seems to go barefoot, and I have no idea how they manage it. Ignoring the insects and spiders and snakes that you don't want to step on, the floor of the bush is made up of spiky rocks, spiky sticks, and spiky seedpods, and the grass is full of bindis and cateyes. How the fuck do people do it?
>>
>>702531
> my thesis was about 'Jagged Little Pill' lyrics

How's life treating you?
>>
>>701669
My first thought was this guy is probably 5'7.
>>
>>702009
Don't do this makes mustard gas.
>>
>>703218
Lots and lots of fosters applied liberally to the face.
>>
File: bull-ant-alert_big.jpg (58 KB, 526x345) Image search: [Google]
bull-ant-alert_big.jpg
58 KB, 526x345
>>703218
I used to do it when i was a kid and other than ants there weren't really any problems.
Give it a shot and you'll probably find it's not really that traumatic.
>>
>>698005
It's best just to go to REI or your local outdoor gear shop and try on a bunch of different boots. Salomon ended up fitting me the best.
>>
>>703292
In my experience of wearing thongs in the bush, the ants are definitely worse than spiders or snakes. Those fuckers make your feet swell up like a balloon.
>>
Hey /out/

Was just about to make a similar thread.

I'm looking to get into some casual hiking on the weekends, just to get outside and do something so it doesn't feel like I'm wasting the little bit of time I have off inside. I'm lucky enough to have many trails in my area that lead up mountain tops. I'm uncertain as to what type of hiking shoe I should get without busting the bank. What should I look for in a good hiking shoe? There are some shoe and outdoor fitters that supply specialized shoes / boots, but they all cost a good $150 and up. Maybe if and when I get a little more serious into hiking I can justify that price, but for right now I'm casually getting into it.

Would appreciate some good feedback.
>>
>>700845
>>702537
I thank you for the reply but i checked the website and i still cant find anything that protects against sub zero temps. Steel toe is necessary. I just need a boot that stays warm and isnt 40 freaking pounds.
>>
Well I got my first GOOD pair of hiking good today.
KEEN Men's Voyageur Mid - $125 retail

Going to hit some trails next weekend.
Did I do well on my purchase?
Honestly don't know what to expect, but they feel very comfy.
>>
File: reston.jpg (80 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
reston.jpg
80 KB, 900x900
these boots are nice, feels like they're custom fitted to my foot. Though the insoles they come with are weirdly hard and thin, so I changed them.

asolo reston - $109 right now
>>
File: creek.jpg (228 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
creek.jpg
228 KB, 1024x768
>>699056
this, you don't even have to deviate far from the trailer to appreciate a nice boot

>>698821
>>698076
have fun in pic related lmfao
>>
>>703650
those are good I have the durands absolutely love them
>>
>>703650

To be honest, Keens is more fashion than function, I'd say in the same league as timberlans/ Sometimes they turn out other times they disintegrate
>>
>>703893
Shame. They used to be good.
>>
Does anyone have an experience with the adidas terrex? More specifically the Swift R Mid GTX.
>>
File: 2016-03-04_21-30-05.jpg (409 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-04_21-30-05.jpg
409 KB, 1200x800
>>701528
So... I did order and receive the follow-up model now (€100, original Haix DMS model AFAIK made in Germany, in any case no knockoff Chinashit), damn this reminds me how hard it was in the beginning to break in the old ones back when I first got them (in the end they fit like a glove).
Now been wearing them for a couple hours each day and doing short walks (1-2km) with the dogs, already start to feel a bit more comfy
>>
any recommendations for winter hiking boots that could have crampons attached to them?

been recovering from knee surgery but i'm going to explore the shit out of the Atlantic Northeast next winter and some of the routes will involve some minor ice climbs and the like.
>>
File: H2303_56.jpg (31 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
H2303_56.jpg
31 KB, 400x400
>>705609

Only yesterday I was trying on the Hanwag Alaska, the guy helping me said they're made for use with a B1 (?) Crampon. might need to look up further. But a lot of decent brands with winter boots tend to have a crampon compatibility, those these will range depending on the sturdiness of the boot.

http://www.hanwag.com/alaska-gtxr
>>
>>706100

They were also super comfy, true to size whilst wearing hiking socks and very snug when tied all the way up correctly.
>>
Can anyone tell me how decent these are? Haven't found many reviews but the few I have say they're great.They'd be for English lake district and Snowdon weather, so wet and rocky.
>>
File: 1234287_350_A.jpg (33 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1234287_350_A.jpg
33 KB, 350x350
>>706103
pic related
>>
File: boots.jpg (19 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
boots.jpg
19 KB, 450x450
i have these, they work fine for me. feels like im wearing bulldozers on my feet when out. also not heavy.
>>
Is Lowa a good brand? I just ordered Lowa Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Boots from REI simply because it had a wide size and many reviews. Am I fuck up?
>>
>>698013
I've been wondering about those. Will they survive off trail use? How much flex in the sole?
>>
>>699191
>Hi-Tec
I have Altitude IIs, they're still good 9 years later. Hi-Tecs are such good value, not even shilling.
>>
>>708010
I have Altitude Vs. 2 1/2 years old, really happy with them.
>>
I am going to hike in south poland and north spain this spain. Are there boots that fit both purposes?
>>
Say /out/, I've heard some pretty good things about the Salomon Quest 4D gtx. What do you think? Has anyone ever tried it?
>>
File: LTBRNSND.jpg (167 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
LTBRNSND.jpg
167 KB, 900x900
godly
>>
Is waterproof boots a meme? I spent $280 on waterproof boots and they get wet anyways when crossing streams, and they never completely dry. Should I just get a non waterproof pair of boots that dry quickly and are more breathable, and a cheap pair of sandals for crossing streams?
>>
File: IMG_6166.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6166.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
>>706198
>Is Lowa a good brand?
Top shelf anon. You dun good.
>>
>>709551
This, are waterproof boots necessary? I'm not hiking in the winter and do my out door activities during warm weather. I just use sneakers for going /out/.

Am i doing it wrong?
>>
File: pronghorns.jpg (11 KB, 299x299) Image search: [Google]
pronghorns.jpg
11 KB, 299x299
Something from Danner. I've had two pairs; both were awesome. I'm a park ranger and I wore one pair fighting a wildfire for a week even though they weren't rated for that. The soles melted down a little bit, but it wasn't bad considering that's not what they were designed for and I was basically walking on hot coals for 14 hours each day.
>>
>>708532
I know a ton of people who have them, solid backpacking boot and fairly stiff as well. Personally I prefer leather or something without so much stitching.
>>
File: A1553_Steel.jpg (32 KB, 531x316) Image search: [Google]
A1553_Steel.jpg
32 KB, 531x316
Altra Lone Peak, last 400-500 miles. People hike the PCT in these. I have Scarpa Triolet GTX for light mountaineering (dry or snow but not too cold) and plastics for deep snow and extreme cold. Next year I'll probably replace them with the Scarpa Phantom Techs, plastics are kinda obsolete.

You don't need boots unless you're dealing with a lot of snow or going off trail into scree. Don't pull a Cheryl Strayed.
>>
>>703490
You don't need any gear to get started with hikes on trails. Loose fitting sneakers work fine. I climb/ski/hike/run every weekend and am faster than 90% of hikers I run across. In the summer I wear trailrunners, basketball mesh or running shorts and a long sleeve UPF sun shirt. Carry water, sunblock, snacks in a small backpack. Trust me, you do *not* need "hiking gear" for most day hikes, often running stuff works better. The fastest hikers I know wear street running shoes, not even trailrunners.

I'd say trekking poles are a higher priority than footwear. You can get cheap ones on amazon.

>>705609
Any boot with a shank will work, so most backpacking boots and any mountaineering boot. Example is the Scarpa Triolet GTX. You can use strap-on crampons which don't require heel/toe welts. They can even be attached to sneakers though they don't work very well.

>>709587
Nope. Only waterproof footwear if there's snow. Your feet will just get sweaty anyway in stuffy goretex.

Jump in a shallow stream with breathable sneakers. They'll dry out in about 10 minutes.
>>
File: 2014-11-23_15-01-51.jpg (498 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-23_15-01-51.jpg
498 KB, 1200x800
>>709644
>They'll dry out in about 10 minutes
More like 10 days where I live
>>
>>706198
Lowas are excellent boots, I have a pair for both trekking and airshit in the north of england (british mod non-goretex) and they are the most grippiest things I've ever worn
>>
I have 100 dollars to get some shoes that will last me 300 plus miles.

I'm doing hiking and trail running and also need them to do triple duty as daily shoes.

What are my options?
>>
>>703650
I've had mine since last July. I've out about 200 miles on them. The stock insoles are shit, so I out some cheap gel insoles in and it's a lot better.
>>
>>709613
Is Altra really the best trail hiking shoe brand?

What are some good alternatives?
>>
>>710093
Should I buy the Tibet then or the non GorTex Tibet version (forgot the name of it)?
>>
>>710094

For a few bucks more, you could get a good pair of Keen Targhee II. They are always in the top 5 on most hiking boot review sites, and cost about $135.

For $100, I wouldn't go for any waterproof boot. You'll just get a skimpy made product that will fall apart quick. Buy a good thick leather made boot and bring some cheap sandals or crocs from a yard sale for crossing water.
>>
>>710267
>Keen Targhee II

The mid or the shoe version?
>>
>>710279

Mid. Shoes are fine if you live in an area where you aren't crossing streams, walking on walks, high elevations, etc. Otherwise you want that ankle protection. Rolling your ankle in the middle of nowhere could be bad.
>>
>>710263
>Should I buy the Tibet then or the non GorTex Tibet version
What are your functional requirements? Which boot best matches your needs?
>>
File: 06.jpg (278 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
06.jpg
278 KB, 1000x666
>>
>>710361

Multiday hiking and general use on my 20 acres of land. I'm thinking of getting the mesh boot version and then some waterproof hunting boots for winter
>>
>>710215
There's no "best" really. Brooks, Salomon, Hoka One One all make excellent trailrunners. Brooks Cascadias have been the standard PCT shoe for about eight years. People go through 4-5 pairs for the 2,660 mile trek, don't tell me they're not suited for rough terrain. Salomon designs shoes for Kilian Jornet, pretty much the Michael Jordan of trailrunning at this point. Hokas were worn by the record holder for Mt Whitney: 3 hours round trip, typical time for in-shape hikers is 4x that. Just gotta try them on, check fit, features etc.

Go to REI since they take used returns. I find I have to put at least 30 miles on a new pair before knowing whether they'll work for me and if they're durable enough. I returned a pair of La Sportiva Raptors because lugs were ripping off after a single 14-mile hike. Not acceptable.
>>
What would you guys recommend for someone with one good leg and one leg that doesn't have all the muscles? It's weaker and gets tired if I wear bulky and heavy boots but it sucks hiking in trail running shoes.
>>
>>711708
Is this a real disability? Probably best to talk to a physical therapist with outdoors experience.
>>
File: IS-00882-1-pdp.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
IS-00882-1-pdp.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
irish setter
elk tracker
800g insulation

got a chance to use them a few times this winter, absolutely based
>>
>>698005
http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/8%22-tactical-sport-side-zip-boot/20075M.html
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-13-22-48-13.png (844 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-13-22-48-13.png
844 KB, 1080x1920
Hey /out/,
Is anybody familiar with this boot or this brand?
Do you think it's worth $130?
It would probably be my all purpose boot for hiking and playing pretend tactical.
Pls help. I'm a poor person and I want to make sure I'm making a good purchase.
>it's made by Belleville
>>
>>711773
I saw your thread on K

My only question is weather the sole is glued or stiched
>>
>>711715
I don't know if it's a disability because I still can walk and do normal things but yeah. I don't have all the muscles on one leg. I can't point my toes because of it, or have sensation on my last two toes.
>>
>>711811
Hmm that is a good question. I want stitched, right?
>>
Bought these 4-5 years ago as my first pair of proper boots, cost me £30-40 and the right one only just started slightly leaking mid-late last year despite being thoroughly (emphasis on thorough) cleaned and maintained whenever it was absolutely necessary, there's probably a simple solution to the leaking but I decided to retire them to dry weather use and bought the Orkney 5's as I felt it was time for a change, not much different but there are definite improvements there. Definitely recommended for anyone needing even just a cheap spare set or main pair as they'll withstand a lot thrown at them; ice, snow, rain, mud up to the ankle padding, rocks and boulders, you name it!
>>
Hey guys. I'm looking for some boots to work/hike in. Any suggestions? I'm looking in the $60-$120 range.
>>
File: M29067_01_standard.jpg (353 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
M29067_01_standard.jpg
353 KB, 2000x2000
Getting these. Am i making a mistake?
>>
>>712624
Already bought them, hope they're good!
>>
>>712879
I recently bought the Adidas Terrex Swift GTX, which is similar, but haven't used them all too much. Super comfy.
>>
>>712889
Nice! Does the goretex make it decently water resistant? I heard gore-tex shoes get hot.
>>
>>700867
Which boots are these specifically?
>>
>>698690
I had that same pair for maybe 8 years, serious miles on granite (ID, MT) with loads of up to 60 lbs. for 2 weeks at a time. Best boots I've ever worn & was bummed when they finally flattened out.

Just getting the new pair broken in. I'd recommend Vasque to anyone who'll listen.
>>
>>698005

I need to get a boot for a thru-hike of the AT, does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>703171
I don't get the point, when would you want a big ass chunky shoe but no ankle support? why bother with the weight and complexity of waterproofing if water's just going to seep in at the ankle?
When you want a boot, you'll wish you had the boot version of those shoes. When you want a shoe, you'll wish you were wearing something lighter and simpler like moabs or keens, or trailrunners.. the middle ground just sucks at everything imo.

>>708532
I have these. I'm a trailrunner person, so they only get used in really shitty conditions.

+ Some of the lightest weight boots that I would consider to be serious backpacking boots
+ Some of the most comfortable boots assuming the fit works with your foot.
+ Very flexible for boots
+ Not very bulky, I wear them comfortably with 1/4 socks.
+ Truly waterproof, no issues with waterproofing yet.
+ Very breathable, my socks are usually bone dry at the end of the day.
+ No issues with traction, no issues with microspikes slipping (have not used snowshoes or crampons with them yet)
+ Hardware seems solid

- Quite a bit of seams and stitching, I can see this being a long term durability issue.
- I'd rather wear moab ventilators or trailrunners on a casual hike, they're a bit too serious for fair weather casual type stuff.
- Pretty sure they aren't resoleable (like most boots these days)

Compare to Vasque St Elias GTX.

tl;dr: Serious waterproof boots that are really comfortable and good for long distance hiking. A bit much for casual hiking. Minor durability concerns.
>>
keep in mind tho, pretty much every boot i'd compare to the salomon's have durability issues just different ones. it seems that comfortable boots aren't the most durable in the world, and durable boots aren't the most comfortable. go figure.
>>
File: mckinley-basalt-aqx.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
mckinley-basalt-aqx.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
I'm buying my first hiking boots, I'm a 44/45 EU size, and yesterday I tried both, the 45 felt a little loose, too much space in the toes area, the 44 felt right, but even when just walking my toes seem to hit the front of the shoe and it was uncomfortable after just a few steps.
Is there a general rule to buy bigger sizes? The girl working told me that a guy was there a day before and bought 3 sizes bigger, but that seems a bit of stretch
>>
Doing 3 nights inna smoky mountains at the end of the month. Had the opportunity to get some free shoes through work, got some hikers and trail runners but the only problem is they're "slip-resistant" soles (pretty flat, designed to not slip on oily/wet floors) think I'll be ok bros?
>>
>>714890
One size up shouldn't be a problem in case of doubt IMO, you really don't want to bump against the toe box. But did you really tighten the smaller ones well when testing though?
>>
>>708532
>>714826

I also have them, this Anon is totally right. Make sure to try them on in person though; the fit might be awkward for your foot.
>>
>>698013

>He fell for teh Arcteryx meme

Arcteryx is hit or miss, and those are a clear fucking miss.
>>
File: Targhees.jpg (49 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
Targhees.jpg
49 KB, 450x450
Keen Targhees
One pair's lasted me a year and a half (my feet grew damnit) Only con I see is the sole being glued
>>
are Nike SFB's just a meme?
The SFB Mountain actually looks decent but I'm not sure if its a good buy...
>>
>not using combat boots
Plebs. All of you.
>>
>>
>>699158
My military danners are pretty good. Great for hiking so those probably kick ass. And mine look great too
>>
>>712902
Red Wing Loggers
>>
>>715506
Looks like what black people will wear to the mall.
>>
>>699158
I have Danner Mt Adams because I get them 50% off through work. I got them for snow because they seemed like a sturdy gortex boot and worked well for that purpose. I have yet to hike in them yet though.
>>
>>712894
I walked through a couple puddles and that's really about it. I don't have much of a track record to tell you.
>>
>>711773
I'm in the American Army, been rolling those for three years, in training and deployment. Comfy as fuck and I can walk miles and miles in them without tearing my feet up. Only gripe is they have a semi insulated cloth multi layer interior, and over the years its been worn away at the heel so only the leather exterior remains. Would be perfect I'd they had a canvas neck like the standard issue boots.
>>
I a pair of vasque breeze 2.0 GTX's. Fuck those bastards are comfy.
>>
>>716043
I've got the breeze 1s. They're great
>>
>>702531

You missed the point there champ. His sentence implied that the irony was related to location, not boot status.

lrn2english
>>
>>702531

The anon from AZ was arguing the pro boot side

Learn reading comprehension before you try to call others out, and get the fuck off /b, highschool homo
>>
File: 81kz14+4iqL._UX500_.jpg (25 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
81kz14+4iqL._UX500_.jpg
25 KB, 500x409
Bought these today for about $140 from a retailer. I've been wearing shitty cheap sportshoes for years when outdoors but they were holding me back and starting to hurt my feet with all the walking I do. Thought it was about time to get something decent. I'm going to take them hiking and rockhopping along a gorge this coming week. They're really comfy so far, but we'll see how I feel after five hours of clambering around boulders in them.
>>
>>698690
>>715056
Have either of you any actual experience with the boot or you just like to have baseless opinions?
>>
File: suprememboots1-900x641[1].jpg (129 KB, 900x641) Image search: [Google]
suprememboots1-900x641[1].jpg
129 KB, 900x641
Have some deep cuts and good leather-creasing on them from many years of camps and semi-neglect, usually just put the beeswax-grease on them before I go out and they've held up nicely.
>>
>>716626

Does being poor and jealous count as experience?
>>
File: 1293530_201_alt2.jpg (322 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1293530_201_alt2.jpg
322 KB, 1200x1200
>>698005
Asolo TPS 520 GV

On my second pair. Didn't take care of the first pair, but they did last me 8 years with daily cold weather use, as well as summer hikes.
>>
>>711735
And heavy as lead.
>>
File: Q34271_01_standard.jpg (16 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Q34271_01_standard.jpg
16 KB, 500x500
Been looking for some lightweight boots/mid height shoes for day hikes and overnighters.

Can't afford hectic leather boots right now, and quality affordable boots just dont seem to exist in hiking shops in Australia. Everything is $350+ and I'm totally not willing to buy online without trying on

Thinking of getting these as we actually stock them here

>Adidas AX2 mid gtx
>Goretex
>Lightweight
>Cheap
>>
Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I'm fairly new to being /out/, are your average running shoes alright if one is just sticking to the main trails? That's what I've been using but I feel like they're not going to hold up very well with much use. Obviously I would like a pair of boots but the budget doesn't allow that right now.

TL;DR
Are running shoes adequate for trail hiking or will I destroy them fairly quickly?
>>
>>717039
If you only keep on paths in dry, warm weather, use runners or if the conditions allow it, consider going barefoot. Of course they'll wear more quickly though
If going through moist tall grass or wintry conditions in general, leather boots are better, but will take some time to break in and usually feel stiff the first days/weeks/months, depending on how often you wear them
>>
Are Salomon quest 4d good for the summer too or are they too hot?
>>
>>717282
My feet melt in them, but I am a pretty warm guy. On gentle terrain you can lace them to the ankle and leave the tops open if you want, though.
>>
>>698005
Keen.
>>
How do I look /fa/ wearing boots?
Are there some European surplus combat boots I can buy somewhere or do I have to go to gander mountain?
>>
File: Jungle Boots.jpg (137 KB, 1155x1155) Image search: [Google]
Jungle Boots.jpg
137 KB, 1155x1155
Thoughts on these
>>
>>717915
Yep, they're boots, alright.
>>
>>717924
Well to be honest I am pretty new to /out/. I'm looking for a pair of affordable boots that I can wear /out/ and also for my job (private security). I asked /k/'s opinion on a gear thread and was told to come here. I really like them just for the 'nam factor but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these boots, or has an idea how they'll fair in the wild. If it helps, they'll mostly be used in the deciduous forests of Tennessee, though I'm aware this isn't the kind of biome that requires any special kind of boot
>>
>>717931

What's your spending limit? Also, I haven't seen a 'Nam jungle boot online that didn't have awful reviews. A good forest boot is the logger style.
>>
>>717949
$70 is my limit

I agree, having a hard time finding one with overall positive reviews
>>
>>717951

Does it have to be black or military style? You should see if theres an agricultural supply store near you. They often sell boots as well, sometimes overstocked stuff.
>>
>>717966
They do need to be black and the military style is a strong preference; I'm heading to a couple of milsurp stores tomorrow and if I don't find anything there I'll probably bite the bullet and order something online. I don't go /out/ all the time so they'll serve their purpose well enough even if they are on the cheap side.
>>
>>717039
you can hike trails with running shoes. i do it all the time on unplanned adventures. they will wear out quick, traction won't be the best, and they will offer your foot little protection.

the other underlooked but important factor, is that if you sized your running shoes for running properly, they won't be the right size for hiking. most hiking is done on incline, so you want to size up your shoes to account. with running shoes, you only size up to account for your feet swelling. with hiking you need to account for both.

if you like the idea of hiking in running shoes check out trailrunners. they're running shoes with carbon plates in the soles to protect your feet from impalement, slightly more rugged uppers, protective toe caps, and soles designed for unpaved terrain.
brooks saucony etc are the go-to's, my usual recommendation is to check out last year's saucony peregrines since they can be had for very cheap. brooks cascades for narrow feet people & women.

>>717282
Any gore-tex boot is too much in the summer. In 99% of situations in the summer you shouldn't be wearing a boot anyway. Get a quick drying trail runner, its not like you're going to get gangrene if your foot's wet in the summer. moab/keen/etc have some options if you're absolutely attached to the idea of wearing boots in the summer, but they're inferior.

>>717951
if your budget is under like $150, get cheap trailrunners and save up for good boots. cheap boots make going /out/ miserable straight up.
>>
>>717980
i forgot to add, if you're going to hike with trailrunners, you're going to want to have a pair of ankle-height gaiters too. not the big ass tall kind you wear with boots. the biggest disadvantage to hiking in a shoe is having to stop to pull rocks out of them & beating up your ankles on scree fields.. problem solved.
>>
File: image.jpg (384 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
384 KB, 1200x1200
>>699158
I was issued these in the marines,
I was ecstatic about getting them and they felt great putting them on but for some really odd reason they chaffed the FUCK out of the back of my ankle.

I've put in maybe 20 miles at least in them now and they are still doing it! Went on a hike the other week up San Gorgonio Mt in CA and got a blister on my left ankle.

Can anyone help me figure out whats wrong? They are comfy but somehow give me these awful blisters on my achilles. I wear big thick wool socks.

I've never had any other boot do this to me, and none of my buddies had this problem with their boots.

Do I need higher quality socks? I thought the ones I have are pretty good. Id rather resolve this issue than buy new boots
>>
>>718027
The combination of of new boots and thick old-school woollen socks may be the culprit.

Try this
>Modern wool hiking socks.
This means finely spun merino from smartwool, darntough etc. Won't be as thick at all, but better at thermoregulation
>Silk sock liners.
Helps chafe as boot forces wool sock to slide on the sock liner, rather than your skin

This combo may actually loosen up the space in your boot a bit as it's not as thick as your classic wool socks. If so, don't stress. Just add a comfy as fuck insole like superfeet grey (more merino because comfy)
>>
>>718053
thank you my mayne
>>
why in hell do female boots look so much better ?
I-t-s a-l-w-a-y-s t-h-e s-a-m-e !

but no one buys them.
>>
>>698971
The water proof merrel are pretty spot on. I work as a kennel bitch and have to get wet daily. My boots have been pretty soaked and mudddy while keeping my tootsies dry. However, it can't handle a lot of water pressure (I foolishly sprayed my boots hardcore with a hose), but all things considered they dry pretty quick. You can't go too deep into water with them before getting soaked, obviously. But they can be submerged a little
They have meh tread on wet concrete. Tehy last me about 4-6 months (daily use) but I need to replace shoelaces often
>>
>>718747
I should note, the 4-6 months is usually due to an issue you wouldn't encounter hiking, and is often minor. Had dogs bite holes, or get caught on a fence, etc etc
>>
>>712189
Yes sir
>>
>>706190
What are they?
>>
>>701026
Same. I wear my Whites for fire, hunting, hiking, or just about anything innawoods related. For wet woods and light snow I have a pair of chaulked merrils that let me float up and down the mountains.
>>
Modern western boot master-race reporting in...
>>
File: aku-ns-front.jpg (62 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
aku-ns-front.jpg
62 KB, 600x600
The only boot ever required for anything ever.
>>
Well im between Keen Durand Mid and Merrell Capra Mid, which one i should go for? I have flat feet so im fucking over shoes pretty easy, which one is more durable? which one is more comfortable? Keen seems more cheaper.
>>
>>712624
Got them and tried them out. I am happily impressed by these shoes. Perfect for a run and a good scramble. There is so much grip and stability i tried doing things i wouldn't have otherwise done with my other shoes. 10/10 on first impressions but i'm hoping these shoes are also long lasting since they were expensive.
>>
File: 8410093652.jpg (16 KB, 285x320) Image search: [Google]
8410093652.jpg
16 KB, 285x320
>>722574
In the PNW this had been my go to boot for the last decade. Your boot looks like poorfag shit that blows out before second break.
>>
Is timberland a good brand?
>>
>>722950
No.
>>
>>722913
>tfw the $500 high heel shill share owner is back
>>
Thoughts on logging boots? I need a pair of steel toe boots and want something that will last a long time
>>
File: IS-00860-3-pdp.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
IS-00860-3-pdp.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
hey /out i'm looking for a pair of leather hunting boots. Don't want something with heaps of insulation because then i can only use then 1 month a year. would like them to be 9" - 12" what is good? my budget is $250 AUD
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 750x410) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 750x410
You should try muck boots. They'll take you almost anywhere.
>>
What's the best pair of boots I can buy from Sears? I have a bunch of coupons and codes and credit and am looking for something for general wear and hiking.
>>
>>722913
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>722718
Bump, anybody?
>>
>722978
>tfw poorfag mad because his shit blows out constantly
>tfw he doesn't know I bought my last pair of whites for $170 practically new on ebay four years ago and had them rebuilt by whites for $150 last year because it's a rebuildable.
>>
@723233
>tfw 1.90m so I don't need to "enhance" my height
>tfw last €100 boots lasted me for 10 years
So by that it'd take 40-50 years to get the same ratio out of your BDSM tools... really, no shoe lasts that long
Really, if you work at/own this place, you should by now have noticed this is the wrong board to advertise your horrendously overpriced hipster shit, I suggest you go to go to >>>/fa/ , >>>/lgbt/ or leddit/tumblurr if you want to reach a better ad revenue per post ratio
>>
>>722913
What in the faggotshit am i looking at here?
>>
Brooks Cascadia
>comfortable
>light
>good grip
>breathable
>dry fast

If your goal is covering miles and there isn't snow on the ground actual boots are a meme.
>>
File: rain no rain.jpg (449 KB, 1288x1528) Image search: [Google]
rain no rain.jpg
449 KB, 1288x1528
will it rain? top option
will it be dry? bottom option

Cheap, comfortable. No retarded gimmicks.
>>
>>726785
are you robin hood?
>>
>>699164
are they comfy like say.. a timberland chochorua (actually my boots are Brazilain made boots "vento tryton" are more comfortable, but just to know..)

Do you think your next boots will be those haix boots Bundeswehr been using since afghanistan?
>>
File: 75010-p-4x.jpg (571 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
75010-p-4x.jpg
571 KB, 1920x1440
>>715519
>>
>>726925
As I said I already I bought and got delivered the follow-up model about 3 weeks ago (see >>705426) and I'm satisfied with them so far.
It takes a good amount of time to break them in but once done so you won't even notice them any more (at this point they don't feel as comfy yet as my older ones I've had for 10 years but it's going there).
A big plus is the very simple non-intricate design (simply leather, simple sole) which means less chance for shit to break apart
Downside for some, especially the light-weight advocates, might be the weight (my pair weighs 2.3kg at size EU47), but I'm quite tall (1.90m) and it doesn't bother me personally. Usually there's a trade off between weight and durability, ultra-light-weight boots generally apply materials designed with that in mind so will usually break apart faster.
Also got mine for €105 off a milsurp store via ebay, that's as cheap as the real deal gets (there's a lot of fake chinashit knockoffs, beware of those!), probably they'll be much more expensive (if at all available) overseas (same as with American brands like Danner being much more expensive here as another anon ITT said)
Haven't got any experience with any Timberlands though to compare
>>
File: eaweaweawea.gif (305 KB, 245x154) Image search: [Google]
eaweaweawea.gif
305 KB, 245x154
>>717043
>consider going barefoot.
>>
I'm definitely NOT a minimalismfag, but in some circumstances I'd advocate for it. I'm from a place pretty much without dangerous animals and plants (micro and macro), extremely high population density even in "rural" areas and therefore lots of paved roads and paths, which can more or less safely walked barefoot.
And it IS good for your feet, I noticed last summer after just doing some gardening barefoot for the first time, spending most of the day without shoes. In the end most of my shoes suddenly felt extremely narrow/small, so my bones must have stretched quite a bit back towards a more natural/less cramped position (and with any shoe I've always been wearing rather a size up when in doubt)
>>
>>726951
>>726960
>>
>>726948
I have these. They were tougher to break in compared to some of my other boots but they're nice. Semi "springy" step to them.
>>
>>701698
This. "Ankle support" from a some cloth/leather and string isn't going to do anything. Good job guys
>>
>>703171
They're great. They last forever and are incredibly durable. They take forever to dry is the only downside.
>>
>>711679
Lol anyone that wears hokas is trying to hard or just has absymal form if they are so I jury prone they need to wear overpriced clown shoes.
>>
>>726785
Those bottom ones have to be a joke
>>
Should i get the Altra lone peak 2.5 or brooks cascadia 11? I prefer hiking in trail runners and my current shoes are completely worn down.
>>
>>726948
I have the asolo synchro and probably roll my ankle once per /out/ing. maybe i'm just clumsy but it's getting old, i think my feet are too wide. I will probably get the vasque st elias once the funds are available
>>
File: 2354743197632.jpg (119 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
2354743197632.jpg
119 KB, 720x540
>>723965
>bong flatlander detected
Where I live (PNW) and what I do (wildland fire) my boots excel in all areas. All leather, Vibram lugged, 8" upper, and sole is stitched/screwed/glued because working in the woods while it's on fire isn't exactly Targhee or MOAB-friendly ground.
>doesn't know who chink moot is or how 4chan works
I suggest you go to >>>/pol/ or >>>/r9k/ and familiarize yourself.
>>
>all these pairs of 3 different color autist boots
>>
>>727194
OK let's end the memes from my side. I'm German (from Upper Rhine) and we have pretty much the exact same climate as coastal Washington/British Columbia, also it's not super mountainous but quite hilly here
Here's the boots I've had for 10 years >>699164 which fulfil the needs ITT (hiking) just perfectly.
I know in older times (up to 80s), military boots were mostly shit here and designed around looking good for parades, but after that became much more functional, they really fit like a glove after breaking in for a month or so of daily hiking (and cost around €100 to buy as civilian) plus will last you very long if treated right. So sorry, $500 is just unjustified unless you go for /fa/shion elements, period

Maybe high heels are somewhat at advantage when dealing with fire (I don't know as I never fought fires) but this thread is about *hiking*, and for that usage you really don't want a heel that is 5-10 cm higher than the toe part, else you'll feel like walking downhill a steep incline all the time even in flatland, it's just very unnatural and unhealthy/strenuous to walk like that for dozens of kms
>>
>>709603
how long have you had each pair for? considering buying some soon
>>
>>698005
IMHO, people stress out too much on boots. ive had a pair of timberland boots now for like 8 years. they've been everything from hiking boots to work boots. just make sure your boots are 100% leather and stitched
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 1155x1155) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 1155x1155
Anyone care to give me some advice on rubber boots like pic related?

I want to buy some but I'm wondering how comfortable they are. Are they primarily only good for short distances or could you get away with a 4-5 mile hike? I'm going camping in a few weeks in a swampy area. We'll be hiking and fucking around in swampy areas as well As not so swampy areas. I have hiking boots obviously but I only want to bring one pair of boots. Will I regret that one pair being rubber boots?
>>
>>698005
I'll buy a pair of hiking boots when they make a pair that isn't butt fuck ugly.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>728994
>caring how your shoes look while /out/
>>
>>715519

>he doesn't know that real operators (CAG, NSW, 75 RB, MARSOC) for the most part use backpacking and trail running shoes and stay away from issue boots
>he doesn't use what the best use

Sure thing champ
>>
>>727184
What do you mean by rolling?

>>727639
M8, yours look like the regular german/dutch army boots. Had two pairs during my service (10 month drafted), used them for 3 more years for hiking.

I doubt they are good for 10 years.

Would recommend/10. Regular price should be about 220 Euros per pair, made in germanny. Not /fa/ tho.
>>
>>729211
by rolling, I mean that when stepping on an uneven surface my foot folds forcing my ankle to make contact with the ground or become twisted... sometimes it'll just hurt for a few minutes or hours, other times it'll swell and make walking difficult for a day or two.

I think my feet are too wide for the asolo sole.
>>
>>722913
>people who don't fuck about anything comment about legendary fireboots

Most /out/ and in shape people I've ever met have all been firefighters.
>>
are they steel toed?
>>
>>729211
>220 Euros per pair
Wew in that case you were ripped off, as I said I ordered the follow-up model (Haix DMS) from milsurp just recently and paid €105, and I can confirm it's not some chinashit knockoff
Well the ones I got issued in 2006 still look very good on the outside now, just the inner heels are shredded through now, still use them for gardening and walking the dogs through muddy fields
>>
>>729211
>>729409
Also, about the /fa/ part - meh I don't care too much, but I like the very simple, non-intricate design without a gazillion details as most of those modern ultra light weight ones are
>>
>>699158
>>701777
>>709603

All of you trying to recommend an ethically bankrupt shithouse of a company. They brag about MURICA made shit, but more than half of their products are made in Vietnam. $150-250 for boots that fail in <1 yr. You guys are fucking inexperienced consumer tools.
>>
>>709603
>for a week

Yup, sounds like the lifespan of a Danner.
>>
File: latemar-nw-walk_AF2A0A17_large.jpg (46 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
latemar-nw-walk_AF2A0A17_large.jpg
46 KB, 400x400
>>
File: kansas gtx 2.jpg (229 KB, 994x789) Image search: [Google]
kansas gtx 2.jpg
229 KB, 994x789
>>
File: 3D22D00005_6161_11.jpg (567 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
3D22D00005_6161_11.jpg
567 KB, 1000x1000
>>730915
I got these, i like them alot so far.
>>
>>730998
I just got these as well. I have hiked for about 15-20km with them already and they have felt amazing from the start
>>
>>731001
Do they also fit you really tight even though the size is right?
Im not complaining, it does prevent blisters
>>
File: DSC00561.jpg (502 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSC00561.jpg
502 KB, 1600x1200
>>701365
i used these haglöfs approach for a long time, great shoes.
>>
>>698005
Just replaced my old scarpas with these (basically the modern version of my old ones).
>>
>>703566
>protects against sub zero temps. Steel toe is necessary
No, anon. You're doing it VERY wrong. If you want something that's gonna protect against subzero temps, you DO NOT WANT STEEL TOE. Maybe look for *composite* toe; offers similar protection to steel, doesn't turn your foot to a popsicle.
>>
>>722569
>danner
>pleb tier
Opinion disregarded right then and there. Danners are the shit.
>>
>>716971
Just try them on in a store and then buy online. That is my trick for most things that i need to fit right that cost too much in Australian stores.
>>
Used my REI dividend to purchase some Salomon Evasion CS WP hiking shoes. Anyone ever fuck with these things before? Don't see much other there in terms of reviews outside of amazon. I can always return them if I hate them, but i'm hoping after trying over 6 pairs of boots that don't fit that hiking shoes are the solution.
>>
File: DEEBLUCLO.jpg (107 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
DEEBLUCLO.jpg
107 KB, 900x900
>>731337
Pic related
>>
>>728461
bumping my question. still debating whether I should get a pair.

I've tried on a few pairs of irish setters and they don't feel too bad (rubber boots don't seem to come in half sizes so its pretty hard to find a good fit). They seem to fit a lot better than the other brands I tried (Muck Boots included) but I'm still wondering if someone with field experience with these could give me some advice.
>>
>>725807
This, I've used Cascadia 9s and 11s on many long treks and loved them, they dry off fast too
>>
>>731198
what boot is that? I tried to modernize with scarpa and the quality went to absolute shit (sl's). The leather looks very thin and unsupportive.
>>
File: 22274G_LPair_zoom.jpg (157 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
22274G_LPair_zoom.jpg
157 KB, 600x600
>>731358
I would say xtratuf boots but i heard theyre made in china now so im not sure what brand i should get now
>>
File: Air-Max-Jordan-4-e.jpg (104 KB, 680x452) Image search: [Google]
Air-Max-Jordan-4-e.jpg
104 KB, 680x452
using pic related at the moment.

Lightweight, good foot support, all-around traction
>>
>>722913
Aku make great boots and that particular model have been popular with Ameican and British special forces. There's an updated version more suitable for hiking as well.
>>
File: giveaway_image.jpg (45 KB, 420x273) Image search: [Google]
giveaway_image.jpg
45 KB, 420x273
just picked up these pair of hanwag boots.
seems like great quality. can't wait to break em in and go /out/ soon
pretty pricey but with good care should last me a lifetime
great vibram soles and full leather
>>
>>731358
I know some folks who use muck boots (mostly for ice fishing in winter)
And enjoy them very much, not sure about hiking

As for rubber boots I have experience with lacrosse boots
And have had very positive experiences, some models lace up for a better fit etc
>>
>>731209
Maybe the steel is a workplace safety requirement for him?
>>
Anything made by Merrell, Saloman, Vasque are god tier. I've had Merrells to last me 5+ years of heavy urbexing, hiking, and trekking through deep water. I was going to get more Merrells when I finally decided to replace them, but decided on Vasque, which are basically premium Merrells, desu.
>>
>>731595
Got some of these around Christmas, only really used them this spring up in Scotland. Great boots imo don't know why people don't mention Hanwag as a god tier brand more.
>>
>>729443
>>729446
Are the made in USA boots they make shit as well? I've been trying to pick out my first pair of decent boots and was probably going to go for the Mt Adams'
>>
>>731510
Scarpa Ranger II Activ GTX, I believe the calf leather is 2.6mm thick, boot seems sturdy like my old pair.
>>
Just bought a used pair of Merrell Moabs for $66; did I do good for my first boot purchase?
>>
How are /out/'s experiences with shoe goo?
My Hi-Tech altitude 4s just tore a seam, and I'm in the middle of repairing it. Should I look into something else when the shoe goo goes?
>>
What's a good boot for a hot dry desert terrain?
>>
>>732958
Merrell Moab Mids

see

>>732901
>>
File: IMAG0364.jpg (3 MB, 1824x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0364.jpg
3 MB, 1824x3264
>>698005
M90 boots
Robust as fuck I get them for free
But don't tell em I use them for hiking
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 77

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.