[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How was your first solo overnight, /out/? Doing mine in a couple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 21
File: OUT.jpg (652 KB, 1866x1010) Image search: [Google]
OUT.jpg
652 KB, 1866x1010
How was your first solo overnight, /out/? Doing mine in a couple days and I'm a bit anxious desu.
>>
It was awesome, don't be anxious it will be great
>>
>>696881
well last time; after i did everything i needed to it was kinda boring then i burned my hand adjusting a piece of wood that had ember on the underside which i didn't see. after that it was kinda miserable.
the pain of even a small second degree burn if you stop cooling it for a second is really fucking distracting.
>>
File: 20141102_160421.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20141102_160421.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
>How was your first solo overnight
not to sound like a hard-ass. but i barely remember, was like 10 years ago now ..

all i remember is that is was good, its probably meant to me more as i get older then it did back then ,,

no disrespect if your only starting to get /out/ as an adult just enjoy it and keep going man
>>
>>696881
Rolling for ed stafford.
>>
you are going to be colder than a motherfucker.
>>
>>696916
>no disrespect if your only starting to get /out/ as an adult
I didn't, I started as young kid but I always camped with other people, either family or friends.The thing is, as the age passes people around me seems to be losing interest in being /out/ so now I'll be just going alone, either that or not going /out/ at all, and since I love camp I'll choose to go alone.
I'm just anxious because I'll have to find things to do and don't wanna be bored as fuck.

>>696906
that sucks, anon.
>>
fuken sucked. I was a dumbass kid and I went deep, deep into the woods. I was nervous about causing a forest fire so my fire was this dinky little thing I made in a pit, maybe 8 inches across. Because, you know, when you're a kid and you think fire magically lights everything up like it's gasoline? Didn't last longer than 10 minutes, and I didn't bring any kind of shelter, made a shitty little thing out of fresh pine branches that was nice but the wind was blowing the wrong way, so it blew into my shelter. I got eaten alive by mosquitoes and I looked fucking disgusting in the morning (or so I was told, I didn't see my face until after I got out of the shower, and while I looked pretty bad, I was told it was a significant improvement from what I looked like prior to my shower).

Fun times though. When I was walking back along the highway I stopped in at a pancake place and the lady felt so bad for me she gave me free french toast and pancakes.
>>
>>696881
A lot of fun, slept in a military surplus sleeping bag on a side of a cliff
>>
It was back in the day when I was depressed as shit. I had just dropped out of highschool and used to get into fights with my parents for being a depressed shit with no job. They had every right to get into these fights with me desu, but I just got fed up one day and decided to go live in some small nature area right outside of the city.
I had just gotten into an accident a few months prior, I was still missing several teeth and had a massive neckbeard. I already looked like a hobo so why the fuck not?

All I packed was a tent, a lighter, a blanket that was way too thin, some snacks and a swiss army knife. I was cold as fuck, hungry, lonely and I made a shitload of mistakes.

But I was never really afraid of being alone, maybe because this wasnt real wilderness.
Overall it was a shitty experience, but im glad I did it because I learned from it and it got me into serious camping and hiking and all that stuff. :)
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 480x237) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 480x237
>>696881
>sleeping in pic related
>roll over
>fall out
>hanging by mosquito net
>unzip
>hit ground
>try again
>roll over
>fall out
>hanging again
>zipper on other side
>cut my way out with knife
>sleep on ground
>wake up
>fires out
>frost on my glasses

5/10 overall desu
>>
File: ArtStyle_08.jpg (780 KB, 1920x1067) Image search: [Google]
ArtStyle_08.jpg
780 KB, 1920x1067
>>696881
I woke up a lot.

If you're anxious, just try sleeping in your backyard a few times to get used to it.
You'll get comfortable with your sleeping gear, the darkness, sounds etc.

Last week I slept in my backyard again to test out the repairs on my bivy and sleepingbag. Froze my fucking ass off so decided to go back into the house eventually at 3 am. Only overnight experiences had been summer thus far so it was definitely a good experience. Next week I'll try again with socks and hoody on.

It's logical to be more alert outside but realistically nothings going to happen. Just accept te fact you're out in your sleeping bag and try to enjoy your surroundings.
>>
As good as they are now
>>
>be 9 years old
>wanna go camping
>set up tent in the woods on my parents land (they owned 20 acres along with their house, mostly mixed hardwoods with a nice little creek running through it)
>build little campfire
>get spooped all night by critters rustling around nearby (lots of armadillos, raccoons, and opossums around there)
>fall asleep at some point
>wake up when sun starts coming up
>start building fire back up
>dad shows up to check on me
>he brought a dutch oven and cooks some sausage, bacon, and eggs over the campfire for breakfast

I'd give it a solid 8/10, bretty good experience.
>>
>>696881
Nice op, I'll be camping Saturday as well I have a winter camping thread just below this one, just posted all my gear up on there. What region do you live in?
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
>>696881
Btw who's this guy?
>>
>>697272
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIxP-PztHXA
>>
>>697272
you are in for a treat
>>
>>696881
I only ever did one or two overnight fishing trips.
Right between two small towns (villages)which are about 2km apart on the sea coast. I was familiar with the area as i have some farmable land right above the small 2-3 man beach i was at.
Since all i did was set up my rods and stand, rig up, bait hooks and chuck em deep, and then sit and watch the rod tips while i enjoy the calm, it was pretty chill.
A puff would have been nice. You will glance at every little noise in the brush, but it is wind 100% of the time.

So it went great. Didnt catch anything all night, then caught 4 fish early morning, within half hour, and then nothing again.
>>
>>696881
>survival lily, a backyard camper, makes the list

Kek
>>
I asked the goatmen to be gentle...

... they weren't
>>
>>696881
First night was hell. I was 14 and I thought something would kill me. Too scared to leave the tent and too scared to stay. I just sat there the whole night being paranoid, holding my knife.
A vixen was in heat and started screaming at around 3 o clock. That was the worst part.

Before sleeping innawoods, just spend a few hours there at night so you get used to the sounds.
>>
>>696881
It was a while ago, it was fine desu. You can't fuck around though, you need to set up a fire ASAP, it takes a lot longer solo, and make sure to have way more fuel than you would need to start the fire, because you can't get up and fetch more fuel when you run out halfway through starting the fire.
>>
Ed stafford best survivor
>>
Rolling.
>>
>>697527
i think you are rolling for who to partner with
>>
>>696881
Rolling for glorious Ray
>>
>>696881
mine turned out great...got some things wrong...critique the trip after...evolve over time...miss the excitement of the first time later.
>>
>>696881
do we have to have sex with them? how do i get the black bear?
>>
>>696881

rel
>>
>>697793
i'm waiting for quints
>>
>>697793
do we have to have sex with them?
if you want

how do i get the black bear?
you don't
>>
File: 1454446192035.jpg (593 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1454446192035.jpg
593 KB, 2560x1920
>>697799
kek, you got Dick. here have the pic of them.
>>
File: 1455056214512.jpg (69 KB, 465x720) Image search: [Google]
1455056214512.jpg
69 KB, 465x720
>set up site, leave and go on long hike
>almost fall in river and some kids laugh at me
>starts misting while im out, but nothing bad
>start fire and cooking when i return
>chugging beers even though im not supposed to oops (state park)
>sky is starting to look weird and green, atmosphere feels off
>getting pretty drunk so i dont think much of it
>some other campers drive by and say theyre leaving early because of incoming storm cell
>i feel a mix of not caring and excited to see some cool shit
>middle of the night, sitting by fire, crushing keystones, wind is whipping around and knocking trees over
>starting to get a little worried, but still stoked to be in something so hardcore
>finally rain opens up, instantly douses fire and drenches me and my pringles
>run inside tent
>strip naked and start chugging beers
>read a little bit but storm is distracting me
>try to jack off but im too drunk, pass out
>suddenly im jerked awake at like 6 in the morning, covered in mud and soaking wet
>tent had rolled over onto its side and was completely flooded
>nakedly pack everything in car and drove to the showers, got the fuck out of dodge

I regret nothing
>>
>>696881
Rollan
>>
>>697806
no i mean i'm waiting with my roll for the right moment
anytime in the following week we will hit quints
>>
File: 1443193776569.jpg (61 KB, 599x389) Image search: [Google]
1443193776569.jpg
61 KB, 599x389
How do you not get sore throat while spending a cold night in a sleeping bag? Your body is warm, but your head and throat are exposed, and you breathe in the cold air..
>>
>>697839
i throw a ploar/flece blanket over my face and upper body.
if very cold double layer.
you will keep it warm so it won't freeze on your face unless crazy wind or something.
>>
25 year old who still hasn't solo camped get here.

Not even a solo car camp. I just got so used to camping with a friend that I never went out and did it solo.

I was thinking about doing an overnight solo some place close and make a thread about it so I can pass the time talking to people and reading shitposts.
>>
File: BG.jpg (14 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
BG.jpg
14 KB, 205x246
>>696881
bumping to keep thread alive till quints
>>
>>698223
long wait m8
>>
>>698247
god
>>
>>698248
I
>>
>>698249
hate
>>
>>698250
slow
>>
>>698250
boards
>>
>>698253
i mean ffs:

>>698254
>>
>>696881
my first solo overnight turned out bad because there was a troop of boyscouts at the backcountry sights near me. they were making a lot of noise, shining lazer pointers everywhere (including at me), and chopping at trees all night. And the fathers were just being dumb city people
>>
File: mega-milk-jugs_580182.jpg (11 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
mega-milk-jugs_580182.jpg
11 KB, 320x180
>>698248
>>698249
>>698250
>>698251
>>698253
here tits
>>
>>696881
Rained all night, slept on a slope like a dumbass so i slid out from under my tarp into the rain every hour or so, couldn't get a fire going, didn't bring a sleeping pad so I was laying directly on the cold ground all night, miserably wet and cold. I was also terrified because the chipmunks were rustling in the bushes. Overall not great.
>>
>>696881
why is this scene so full of homos? seriously... only one or two exceptions on that pic.
>>
>>696881
First solo trip:
>Fifteen mile hike to get to lake.
>Wool blanket instead of sleeping bag. Bad.
>Forgot bait. No fish. Fuck.
>Three days of rice and CLIF bars.
>Hyponatremia.
>Hitchhiked home.

Second solo trip:
>Eighty mile bike ride to different lake.
>Better equipped. Slept like a baby.
>Tons of fish, cooked over open fire.
>Buddy surprises me by bringing up a case of beer.
>Rode back with him.
>Great friggin' trip.

You can't succeed if you don't have failures to learn from. Go, fail, learn.
>>
So guys I'm planning to go on my first /out/ trip in a week for spring break. Since I don't have a car and its my first time I'll most likely spend a night/2 at most. Also I don't have any friends so I'll likely be going alone

I'm doing research right now but what are things I should be really watching out/ remembering?

Also, I live in Boston right now for school, what are some good places to go camping?
>>
>>698539
Thanks bro
>>
#still counting down to epic quints
>>
>>698609
It's gonna be cold as fuck, I'm from the Worcester area, out this way there's a bunch of places but honestly I wouldn't do my first solo this time of year. You literally could freeze to death.
>>
>>698772
damn really? what if i manage to get 1 other person?

i dont have much free time and would like to go during my break.
if you were to go, which park would you recommend?
>>
>>698609
Talk to either Hilton's or REI employees.
Without car you're kinda limited. With car you have a ton from Nickerson on the Cape (I don't think they open until April) to White Mtns in NH to Maine.
Google is your friend but store employees should be able to help you find close sites.
>>
>>698805
Honestly, wait. It's not worth frostbite and never wanting to go /out/ again. If you wait til mid spring/ anytime in the summer I'd feel a lot better about giving you locations to go to.
>>
>>698978
Dude, it's not that cold here right now.
As long as you/he/anyone not out when it's precipitating it is not bad at all. I've camped in way lesser temps than the hovering around 30-40F that is predicted over the next week or so. I'm in shorts today at 45F though, your mileage may vary.
>>
>>698980
Regardless of what you've done I don't think it's a great idea for someone to do their first solo in freezing temps at night. Everything is wet during the day and iced over at night, I was out at the base of Mount Wachusett a few days ago and there's still hard packed ice and snow everywhere. There's not much to keep a fire going and be enthused about being /out/ it is doable but I wouldn't recommend it for a first timer.
>>
>>698982
It's not around Boston. You're at altitude so there's some hardpack.
It's all bare ground around here unless snow dumps this week.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying if it's cold, wet, shitty weather but it really isn't around Boston right now.
>>
>>698982
>>698995
Weather in Boston says 50F no idea what it'll be where I'm camping tho, since I'm still looking up information and deciding where to go/ if to go at all like the other anon said.

That said, looking at any places online seem to tell me that its weekend only/ closed season. What gives? How do I see people camp in the snow and winter?
>>
>>699035
That's 50 during the day, keep in mind that temp is still dropping dramatically at night.
>>
>>699074
probably not a good idea then huh?
>>
>>696881
Take el dog-o with you.
"Play" a harmonica and howl at the moon together.
>>
File: soon-dog-in-the-back-seat.jpg (31 KB, 620x443) Image search: [Google]
soon-dog-in-the-back-seat.jpg
31 KB, 620x443
>>697799
>>
File: oh-yes.jpg (72 KB, 476x313) Image search: [Google]
oh-yes.jpg
72 KB, 476x313
my body is ready
>>
>>696881
GET!

(>>697799 here)
>>
>>699999
nice board this is.
so how can i find these ladies to ask if they are down to hike? anyone knows a name or something?
it would be so comfy to wake up in a tent their warm naked bodies heating my sides.
>>
>>700439
They're lesbians with absolutely no interest in men.
>>
>>700695
>not wanting to fuck slavic lesbians
I didn't knew that /out/ had faggots.
>>
>>700696
>with absolutely no interest in men.

So what, you're just gonna rape them or something?
>>
>>700698
nah, i just want to hike and cuddle with them no homo
>>
>>700698
Lesbian couples will fuck a man for fun and pleasure without any problems. They can't run away from dick no matter what they say.
>>
>>700698
Why would you even go hiking if it wasn't to rape lesbians?
>>
>>700710
>>700717
you do realize tho that 95% of lesbians are butt ugly smelly demi-females right?

the sexy lesbian is a nonexistent thing mostly they are bisexual at best. frankly most women are.

gf used to ask me if i get mad if she brings home a girl i told her not if i can join the fun then she goes all like i can't touch an other female then i go like too bad then you neither i'm not gonna be cucked.
>>
>>696881
It was nice, but rather cold. Beginning of spring, just a tarp over me and an insulation mat under me. Bag supposedly rated for -20C extreme, but I don't believe it. I am a muscular man and it was definitely not under 10C.
Anyways, couldn't sleep most of the time because bugs crawling along the plastic made more noise than construction workers working on a wall.
But I heard the foxes bark and also some owl sounds.
>>
>>696943
Classic.
>>
>>696881
roll
>>
>>696881
roll
>>
>>698609
What type of gear do you have? You can get by without a fire, or cooking food at all, but camping will be less rewarding. If I were you, I'd make sure you have at the minimum:
Sleeping bag and pad rated to 10f below the predicted minium; full rainwear if any chance of perspiration (including waterproof boots); cover such as a tent, tent, bivy; food; water and some way to aquire fresh water if you don't plan to carry enough for the whole trip with you; and warm clothing. If you plan to hike and there is snow on the ground, you will also need to make sure you know where you're going and how to get back.

Can you rent a car or pay someone to pick you up and drop you off? I'd imagine public transit options are a bit limited for the wilderness, but I'm not very familiar with Boston
>>
>>700695
how do you know btw? do you have names?
>>
>>696930

Just chill man, do whatever relaxes you. I find hobo fishing to be good, reading, basic carving. Sometimes I listen to podcasts at the same time. The time is yours anon, that's half the point.
>>
>>696881
hammock camped on an island that i kayaked to at 22 in the fort pierce inlet in florida. the offshore breeze was cold, didn't bring enough cookable food( all plastic wrapped go food), had a wind up radio to listen to tunes. had a blast. tried fishing off my kayak the next morning for breakfast, didnt catch anythign. went hungry. found a rabbit on the island along with lots of lizards

>glad i did it.
>learned to pack better
>>
>>696881

Also, one thing I would recommend, OP, is after every trip sit down and review the trip.

Figure out which bits of gear were good / bad, what you wanted but didn't have and what you had but didn't use.

Sounds a bit gay but it will improve your next trip 100%. I usually write it down so I don't forget shit. This way you will end up with good, useful gear that you can depend on and won't be left without shit or lugging shit that you don't use.
>>
rollin for matt
>>
>>702534
god damn it off by one!
>>
>>696881
roll
>>
My first solo trip was horrible. I got eat up real bad by chiggers and decided to go home after 2 days (1 night). The trip was planned to be 1 week.
>>
>>696881

Mears get
>>
>>697839

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/hoodlum/
>>
>>696881
Please God quints. QUINTS. I need this. QUINTS!
>>
>tfw your first solo out was when you were 10
>5 miles away from people
>and all your mom said before you left was "don't get lost honey, see you tomorrow."

Fucking sissy faggots these days.
>>
>>705039
sorry i already taken them >>699999
go with a smelly hairy neckbeard
>>
It's peaceful. If at any time you feel anxious as weird as it sounds talk to yourself. Nobody is around to think you're crazy but it's a good way to calm yourself down. Bring a nice book to read too
>>
>>696881
Rollin for dubs>>696881
>>
File: 44892829.jpg (183 KB, 514x350) Image search: [Google]
44892829.jpg
183 KB, 514x350
>>696881
fem mare
>>
File: 54591_1219877447682_343_270.jpg (23 KB, 343x270) Image search: [Google]
54591_1219877447682_343_270.jpg
23 KB, 343x270
>>705070
did you make a fire and cook dinner and shit? tent? or just sleebin bag? i want to know what you did and what you thought on your first solo quest
>>
this thread is kind of fuckin ridiculous. i shouldve expected this much spaghetti but i just didnt
anyway, my first time was when i was 16 around high park colorado. im from kansas and it was the first time i'd ever seen forests or mountains. i slept in my sleeping bag without a tent with my dog for 8 days. it was awesome. 9 years later i've camped in most of the national forests in the country, longest time out was 2.5 months
>>
>>705883
>lived in Montana
>asked mom if I could spend the night outside
>okay, where?
>mountain behind our house

Was warm enough out just took sleebin bag and made small fire at night to cook can of frank and beans and hang out.

Did weird kid stuff like act like I was in Vietnam and shit, built forts and "booby traps", spooked myself for a bit in the night thinking the wind was a spoopy monster.

Overall fun experience spending 30ish hours innawoods by myself. Times changed now and parents don't let their kids leave the leash, feelsbadman.jpg
>>
File: chiggers.jpg (27 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
chiggers.jpg
27 KB, 300x299
>>704930

>Chiggers
>>
>car camping in a state park, bunch of other people around, cold as balls, chance of rain/snow/freezing rain
>no fucking trees in campsite, everything is a field
>drag table over, use it to tie off tarp I have over my not-sure-if-rainproof hand me down one man tent
>fucking heavy table mang, takes 5 minutes to drag it to other side of plot
>sleeping, deep in mummy bag
>suddenly car alarm
>think someone is breaking into my car, get pissed and go into fight mode
>scramble to free self, find glasses and knife, crawl out of hovel-looking tent-tarp cave
>was other person's car
>my car doesn't even have an alarm
>>
Surprisingly ok.

Went with a girl and all.

Had to convince her to sleep on the rocks and not on the ground due to ticks. She didnt even acknowledge ticks existed.
>>
File: heh1 (2).jpg (3 KB, 101x125) Image search: [Google]
heh1 (2).jpg
3 KB, 101x125
>>706000
Checked
>mfw confirmed for truth
>>
>>696881
>How was your first solo overnight, /out/?

>>706049
>Went with a girl and all.

Clever bro
>>
I've only ever done outings by myself because I live in a big shitty town where everyone wants to pretend the place is (urban) New York or some shit. It's very relaxing and peaceful. The most uncomfortable thing is hearing a bunch of animals at night you can't identify. But I guess that's only if you're a city dweller.

Also rollin' for Matt Graham, wish there was more info on the guy
>>
>>697812
10/10
>>
>>698009

Solo in your backyard if you have a friend or family member that owns some woodland on their acreage, ask to camp there. It's a lot better than hiking out 20 miles from your car and something bad happens. My first solo camp I hiked 12 miles from my car before realizing I left my stuff sack in the car that had my sleeping bag and extra clothing. I know that if I went back to get it I wouldn't feel like going back out and the trip would be over. So I spend 2 nights without a sleeping bag and no change of clothes. I felt like shit but I was proud that I didn't give up. Had a raw ball sack for over a week. Was painful as fuck. I now always bring Anti-Chafe ointment.
>>
>>696881
rolling
>>
>>697527
>implying I wouldn't have a three way with her and Stephi
>>
>>706858
uuugh
>>
>>697812
5/7 would kek again
>>
>>706858
god bless you dear anon lilly is fucking hideous (or atleast was shes getting hotter but is still a 6/10)
>>
>>696881

Rolling dis shit.

Also first solo was shit....rain, rain, rain, when forecast said over and over that it was gonna be amazing..so did not pack for that down pour.
>>
>>707091

I bet she looks a hotter hotter after a few drinks, only having the light of the fire to light up her face.
>>
>>707204
she would look like an evil hag in he light of a fire i bet you
>>
File: 1213141649.jpg (204 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1213141649.jpg
204 KB, 1280x960
>Be me
>Be 22
>Drive to Manistee National Forest in Michigan
>Do research, look at maps (read: google earth), find a suitable and reachable area
>Drive in, park on forest road, start hiking
>HOLYSHITTHISISGREAT.mp4
>Pack loads of unnecessary shit, like a pot, a folding saw, 400ft of cordage
>Hike down towards desired site on the river
>Meet nice couple in a semi-permanent site
>chat a bit, move on
>Set up site near river, too near, like ten feet away from the slope leading to the bank
>Get hungrily devoured by misquitoes, but enjoy making camp
>Two frat boys get stuck trying to kayak down the river
>laughingoutdoorsmen
>watch them struggle to free their boat, Anon finally gives in and helps
>help them portage their craft downriver to meet their friends
>bid farewell
>build fire
>smoke joint
>Read a clash of kings for a bit
>try to sleep
>no sleeping pad
>no sleeping bag
>wrapped up in every article of clothing, my blanket and my hammock
>freezing on cold hard ground
>didnt think to sleep in hammock
>wake up at dawn
>hike home

It was fucking rad
>>
File: tumblr_nsl8c2AnN11s1vn29o1_500.jpg (76 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsl8c2AnN11s1vn29o1_500.jpg
76 KB, 500x395
> snow cleared out finally
> try out tent after a few months in storage
> set up in the forest next to mu house
> set up canopy with a tarp
> cook a meal
> rains like crazy all night
> wake up dry
> all fucking right camping seasons begins...
>>
>Been on overnight camps with family many times
>Know what to pack
>Decide to solo 2 day hike into park (Gallatin NF is backyard)
>Leave out is 60F and sunny
>Climb mountain, this good spot to camp
>Wow getting dark early!
>No is huge ass storm forgot to check weather
>55 MPH sustained wind
>30F
>Sleet
>Cannot feel fingers
>Cannot feel toes
>Possible freeze to death
>Storm lasts into second evening
>Too dark to hike out
>Out of food

First solo cost me the tips of 4 fingers, so I remember to check the weather now.
>>
>>696927
Holy shit this is so true
>>
>>697812
fucking kek
>>
I'm not sure if this really counts, but I camped at a monastery in Escondido for a week December 2014.

>one of the worst storms (for socal) I've ever seen rolls in my first day
>unpacking gear in the rain
>put down tarp but not sure i did it right
>water collects between tarp and tent
>sleeping bag fucking soaked
>only one other guy camping for couple of days
>everyone else in cabins
>sleeping bag never completely dries out
>each night I find if I just stay in one place that I heat up the moisture around me and it's fine
>honestly had a great time all around
>>
File: camp.jpg (32 KB, 634x382) Image search: [Google]
camp.jpg
32 KB, 634x382
>>696881
>How was your first solo overnight, /out/?

It was May in the Adirondacks. I'd never been truly camping, much less in a remote area by myself.

I hiked ~6 mi to the most remote lake I'd found on all of my maps. Set up camp and had ramen for dinner. Solitude like this for first time was very strange. No human sounds or company, just the wind in the trees and me and the passing time.

I had basically just a knife, canteen, cord, fire steel, some food. My sleeping bag was awful. A cheap rectangle type with synthetic filler, temp rated at 40. I didn't even know to bring a sleeping pad. I lay the bag on the bare ground to sleep next to the fire.

At 10PM the sounds started...some of the strangest shit my ears ever heard. First just a single loud "hooot" echoing in the cold air down the mountain behind my campsite and across the lake. I didn't know what barred owls were or sounded like. I listened to these crazy noises ring out every 5 mins. Whatever animal was making it seemed to be doing it just to entertain itself, shattering the calm and being heard for miles. It eventually started up the classic who-cooks-for-you chant which also was new to me.

Next came the loons. About midnight... a truly other-wordly sound, now from the lake. I had heard the loons wail a bit in the distance earlier at sunset but this was the first time I ever heard them break into full blown "Tremolo."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbyfQ5Oov1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzqYDikql84

The temp dropped to low 30s overnight with the loons and owls coming and going, amazingly loud night at times. I spent most of it shivering in the fetal position in my bag on bare ground, getting up every 20 mins to find some firewood to put on the fire. By dawn I was huddled within 6 inches of the fires smoldering ashes.

At dawn I packed up and hiked out of there, freezing cold and sleep deprived. But I will never forget those sounds.

pic related is the spot
>>
>>696881
Freaking awesome
>>
>>698223
roll
>>
>>710681
sorry that i stole your quints >>711111
well i guess they were kinda wasted
>>
File: images.jpg (82 KB, 435x400) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
82 KB, 435x400
>>711121
cool. I think alot of people hate you now.
>>
>>711133
dubtrips are nice get too
i think they get you a lilly + steph
>>
>go camping solo
>get raped by hobos
>whatever, it'll heal

>go camping with a friend
>get raped by hobos together
>feel forever guilty about friend being raped
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.