[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishing & Tackle Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
#9- "It's Almost March!" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>692708

I'm excited for you Yankees up there. Another couple weeks and hopefully your lakes won't be frozen over. Meanwhile it will just start getting hot down here. Maybe it's the perfect time for me to start fishing saltwater so I can enjoy that cool ocean breeze.

As always, let's discuss our grand plans of fishing adventures as soon as we have the time and money.
>>
Currently getting raped by a blizzard in Indiana at the moment... Strangely enough they're saying it'll be 50 degrees by Sunday though. I'm hopeful that this is the last of winter. Maybe I'll be able to head down to the southern part of the state in a week or two and start using all the new hardware. Kinda went overboard with the new reels. I have a thing for stradics I guess.
>>
>>696555
>>696540
Yeah I'm getting raped in Ohio here shortly

But about your "expensive fast" comment pepsifag
Yeah if I wanted to spend 135 on a rod before shipping I'd just buy pre-fab and cut the end of the handle off to make it weigh right.
I found a 10 foot medium fast blank that is rated from 1-4 ounces for 80 but then I'm gonna need 40 dollars in other parts (reel seat, grips, eyes, thread, special epoxy)
If I can find a blank for 60 I'll jump on it ASAP
>>
>>696566

You've been to mudhole.com right? They have a ton of blanks. Not sure about 10+ Feet though.

I want to build a baitcasting rod for fluke/bucktailing. But not really sure what I want in a blank.
>>
>>696579
What size of bucktail?
>>
>>696540
Crab guy from the last thread here. I'm planning on going fishing in Melbourne tomorrow, anyone interested in hearing a fishing report from another country?
>>
Might go fishing in my old town this evening.
Rained today, i wanna try two spots. One is deep as fuck, try to get that bluefish or seabass, the other is brackish if the creek is active, so hopefully some seabass there.
The creek usually runs after heavy rain, and makes that a decent spot.

Will report back if i catch anyfin.
>>
>>696678
Good luck mang. I took today off work to hit a doc appt so I'm going to try and get out there. I almost want some storms of clouds to roll through to help me out.
>>
>>696665
>tfw off by one
Sure, why not. Even though it will probably just end up as shitposting since you're an Aussie.
>>
What should I spool my new Penn SSV 5500 for pier snook? I'm already convinced on braid (thanks pepsifag) since I use it in my bluefish rod. Should I go 30,40 or 50 pound?
>>
Gonna play around with the new rod tonight, if the surf isn't too high. Not particularly interested in getting swept off the rocks and having to swim back in with a 10ft pole...
>>
>>696748
>swim back in with a 10ft pole
its not too hard, i once swam out with my 12 foot beef stick until i hit the sand bar, casted, then swam back in to get out farther.
needless to say i had to open and clean the fuck out of my reel when i got home, but thats not the point.
>>696579
yeah i checked them out.
right now im on anglersworkshop.com looking at their blanks. so far its that 10 foot pac bay for 80 as my best price.
>>
>>696755
For $80, it has to be at least a nice blank, right? You could get a decent rod for that price so hopefully that thing is on par with $150+ rods.

And I would never want to swim out and try to find a sand bar by me. Like I mentioned before, those currents are nothing to play with. I'm a strong swimmer and everything but I don't like going into the water without being prepared for it.
>>
>>696755
looked some more, found a 10'6'' batson rod blank rated for 1/2-2.5 ounces that might work for me.
still might just go with an uglystik, cut off the back handle, and re-balance it with lead shot.
>>
>>696768
You could probably find a way to melt the lead into the handle too. At least I would because fire is fun.
>>
>>696748
Just be careful!

If you can get a pair of boots with cleats you will be better off.

If your fishing rocky outcrops, seriously be careful, people die from carelessness. And a strong tidal current near rocks can fuck you up.
>>
>>696755

Yeah, but the problem is that it's ~8ft waves right now, and I'd have to climb up a vertical 10ft ledge at least.
>>
>>696776

Cleats are horrible out here, I get much better mileage out of tabis. Getting back in is easy, I go freediving in worse, but I'd rather not break the pole.
>>
File: snew.jpg (23 KB, 312x473) Image search: [Google]
snew.jpg
23 KB, 312x473
>>696765
yeah ive got a bit of a death wish i guess. last time i did it there was a lifegaurd on shore waiting to yell at me
>>696768
thats a 65 dollar blank btw
maybe ill see if i can buy an uglystik blank and work from there?
>picture of outside taken a few minutes ago
>>
>>696780
oh right, then fair enough.
>>
>>696773
im sure i could
>ball of aluminium foil
>thin epoxy plug
>more foil
>melt lead
>pour
>let cool
>final epoxy plug
>hope i didnt damage the blank

id just rather not fuck with it lol, ill just be mixing the lead shot in to epoxy and calling it a day
>>
File: IMG_20160225_103518439.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160225_103518439.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
Just picked up one of these

Anyone use em?
>>
>>696813
yeah, i jig them unger bridges and near docks, usually get perch and crappie of all sizes and the occasional bass
>>
Where should the balance point on a rod be? How far up the front handle?
>>
>>696815
I assume where you hold it, so right above the reel?
>>
>>696815

Depends on what the rod is for.
>>
>>696814
Perfect!

Can't wait to give it a go
>>
>>696651

3/4, 1oz, and 2oz.

I have a, penn regiment casting rod that is perfect for it though. I kinda just want to build the rod for fun. Will be like 230$ though.

>>696706
30 or 40# depending on how big the blues are. 30# will cast further, 40# you can use more drag.

Make sure you use a wire or heavy 50#+ flouro leader.
>>
>>696837
I agree 30# or 40# will suit you perfectly. You shouldn't need backing for the reel (Penn has a nice line lock for your arbor knot)

And totally agree, you always want a leader that is a bit heavier, usually by 10#,not only does it improve the swimming action, but it provides a shock absorber while fighting a fish. The elasticity of the leader will compliment your braid.
>>
File: split ring ovals.jpg (2 KB, 150x111) Image search: [Google]
split ring ovals.jpg
2 KB, 150x111
>>696815
>>696817
usually the agreed upon point for general use is right where the front grip ends and the bare rod blank begins

if youre heaving for distance, a little farther out is generally wanted, and if you want the rod tip to be as lively and responsive as possible, closer to the reel.

my plan is im going to balance half way up the fore grip to get the rod to feel as light as possible while still allowing me to feel the bait well. im also going to (if i do build my own) have a relatively short butt, sacrificing casting distance somewhat for ease of use.

im thinking what ill do is ill get a package of those oval split rings like pic related, then tie a mono leader a few feet long to that and call it a day instead of tieing line to line because its a wee bit faster than tieing line to line every time a leader gets too short or gets too chewed up, its smaller than a swivel, and at about 8 cents a split ring its cheaper than a swivel if it breaks off.
>>
>>696842

The flouro will also resist the teeth of bluefish a bit better than mono or braid.
>>
>>696862
Use a tactical anglers clip, also there is a great knot I use for tying braid to leader. I'll share it when I remember the name.
>>
>>696866
is it the albright or double uni? reverse albright?
>>
>>696866

The FG knot, from braid to leader. Tactical anglers clip from leader to plug/lure.
>>
>>696880
Bam, I think that's it. I remember choosing it because it rode through the guies real nicely.
>>
>>696889
>>696880
ive never had as much luck with that knot as the double uni, albright, or improved albright. maybe im tieing it wrong, but it just doesnt seem to work well for me.
>>
Crazy idea- carbon fiber rod blanks

Have I been beaten to the punch?
>>
>>696784
Fuck snew. That's why I don't live in Chicago anymore,

>>696787
Ahh, I never thought of mixing the lead in epoxy. Not quite as fub as melting shit.

So you goung to do cork or ABS handle? If you could get a big chuck of cork, you could always hollow that our and then kinda turn it while sanding like on a lathe.ABS would be harder. Otherwise maybe make the basic handle shape out of somewhat soft epixy wih the lead, sand that to the perfect shape, and then wrap it with hockey tape.

Or don't listen to me at all. I told you to melt the lead because it will be fun despite a 90% chance of destroying the rod. But you should take pics when you do it. I still want to see a rod being built since orher anon had to put his on hold while he waits for parts.
>>
>>696949
My Johnny Morris Carbonlite has "carbon core technology" so whatever that means.

Does carbon fiber flex really well? I always thought it shattered into a million pieces when stressed too much. But that comes from watching F1 races so I'm sure it totally depends on the formulation.
>>
>>696950
I was actually going to turn white oak grips because white oak is famous for being water resilient.

I'm going to bring in knife making skills I've acquired. I'm going to forge rebar to be just a hair smaller than the rod blank, then drill the core out so it's close, turn it, then burn in the shape. Then do the last shaping with a rat-tail file until it just barely fits right. Then finalise the exterior finish and glue it in place
>>696958
Some is made to be brittle and dissipate energy quickly but some is more flexible like what they use to make softball bats.
>>
>>696837
I have #60 berkley big game mono leader. Is flouro really worth it? It's expensive as fuck in the higher weights.
>>
>>697003
I use this exact line as a leader pretty often.
>>
>>697013
To catch what? Also, how long do you make it? For bluefish I use a 3ft leader of #60 mono or #30 steel. I've never caught snook in my life.
>>
>>696678
Update: Things i had to do before fishing got too long and fishing was cancelled...
maybe saturday before going out.
>>
>>697003
>>697013
>>697014
I also wanted to ask?
What should i use for bluefish?
+.50mm size fluoro, or try to find decent wire?

Also, one thing i see mixed information online, should the leader be higher test strength or lower than main line?
I do spin fishing, but mostly carp/bottom type but for salt water. And i am used to using 0.40mm main and 0.30mm leader so i dump those leads instead of several dozen meters of main line in case of a snag.
>>
>>697024
By leads i meant sinkers.
Sry. Translating in my head as i write can be a bitch.
>>
>>697024
If the water is really dark, use the wire leaders. If its clear I use the #60 mono but I constantly check it for little cuts and either replace it or cut off the damaged area as needed. I've never used flouro before but I would assume #60 flouro would work great if you're not scared of having to replace expensive line every once in a while.
>>
>>697003

I also ise 50# big game as leader. But supposedly the flouro is nore abrasion resistant.

>>696893

What do you mean? Breaking strength or the knot slips or...?

Ive never had one fail. I'll break parts of the leader before the knot goes. And its the thinnest line to line knot out there, so it flies through the guides.

How have you been tying it? Its inportant to have good tension on the braid before wrapping flouro around it.
>>
Hey, i have a roll of Daiwa 8PE Tournament 0.30mm arriving in the next few days, and i have been a medium size monofag so far, and the palomar knot is my go-to for tying swivels and the likes. Never had one fail on me, while i had the odd snelled hook get lost, but i didnt lose fish over it. just snags.

What knots should i use for pe braid?
>>
>>697000
Those trips tho
>>
>>697069
Uni
n
i
all the way
pros
>fast
>easy
>strong
>works with ALL line of all weights
cons
>not popular enough in fresh water for reasons unknown
>>
Is this a fishing general thread where you can ask questions about techniques, or is it tackle only?
>>
>>697101

Anything fishing related.
>>
>>697107
Well i have a few questions about fishing in early spring. In lakes and ponds can i fish as soon as the ice is out, or when there is only partial ice cover? And how soon can i start fishing in rivers?
>>
How the fuck can I cast out into a very fast flowing river and keep that shit from going down stream.

fucking thing goes 6-8 MPH depending on the rain fall.

I want to cast faaar out from shore about 20 yards and just let it sink and sit there. No sinkers seem heavy enough! THE FUCK DO I DOOO REEEE
>>
I fell for the bass pro shops scale meme. This thing is a total piece of shit, I put a 4 pound weight on it and it said it was 2 pounds. What scales do you guys use? I'm thinking of getting a mustad or rapala 15lb tube scale.
>>
Here's a couple of neat old documentaries on commercial pole fishing for tuna, back in the days before commercial seiners and longliners started raping the seas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5dOLiF9fjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_Rs75-5vI
>>
>tfw your local lake has 4x the safe level of cyanobacteria
Are cyanobacteria really dangerous?
>>
>>697113
Cast upsteam you dunkass
>>
File: surfweights.jpe.jpg (91 KB, 740x306) Image search: [Google]
surfweights.jpe.jpg
91 KB, 740x306
>>697113
What are you fishing for? If 3oz+ no roll sinkers aren't cutting it and you're going for bigger fish then you might be able to get by with some of the heavy weights made for surfcasting (pic related).

I don't fish in rivers too often but the few times I have, a 3oz no roll sinker has done the trick for me.
>>
i did a proof of concept test with that chicken motor and a broken 10 dollar lo-pro reel. ive got it spinning about 30ish rpm. i bet i can rig the rest from here.
>>
File: AllWeightsRe.jpg (356 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
AllWeightsRe.jpg
356 KB, 800x600
>>697158
or you could make your own surf weights if you have a way to cast lead
>>
>>697161
oh i also shorted a connection out, cant see with the center of my eye yet, and something smells like burning rubber, so thats fun too.
>>
>>697162
those look like old-school anchor weights for king rigging. light ones but still.
>>
>>697000
That's a good idea with the white oak. I bet it will look real nice too as long as jt doesn't break. Plus it will be heavier than cork or foam which you are looking for anyway.

>>697101
>>697111
What up f@m. I wish I could help you more with cold water fishing but I live in South Florida. And when I lived in IL, I would normally wait until April or May to start fishing. Never had a ton of luck in cold water.
>>
File: Photo0525.jpg (303 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
Photo0525.jpg
303 KB, 1200x1600
Does anyone have any experience with Salmo lures? I saw them at the store and thought they looked nice so I picked a few up. How would they compare to rapala lures?
sorry about the bad photo too
>>
>>697162
What's the purpose of all that extra copper wire?
>>
>>697181
Never really used them, but they look decent. Did you get them on sale or something?

I would def fish that smaller gold one in the middle, the firetiger one, and that perch one. Black one looks interesting for real dark and cloudy water maybe. Can't see that biggest one well but that natural green looks good for clear water or even mildly murky.
>>
>>697182
It's basically a spider weight, you bend the legs out when you rig it up so that they dig into the sand and keep the surf from moving your bait as much. It's easier to transport and store them with the legs straightened out like that.
>>
Why are you suppose to fish darker baits in murky water? It seems like it should be the opposite so fish can see it..
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>697187
I thought it might be something like that. That's a good idea assuming it is a flat sandy bottom.
>>
>>697189
The black really stands out against the greens and browns. That's what people say when it comes to jigs in cloudy water. I have good luck with bright yellows in murky water too though so idk.
>>
>>697185
The small ones are salmo hornets, the bottom right is a salmo perch and the top two are both salmo pikes, and one is jointed. I can't wait to try them in lakes, but i'm hesitant to use them in the river because of snags
>>
>>697190
Yeah, they're mainly used when surf fishing but I bet they'd work on rivers and lakes that have clean, silty bottoms. Most people will use a much lighter line to attach the spider weights to the rest of their rig so if they do end up getting hung up on something then you should be able to break just the weight off and still retrieve the rest of your rig.
>>
>>697194
That's a good idea. Attach the weight to the main line with like 20lb if you are running 40lb or 50lb line.
>>
>>697199
exactly
>>
>>697191
I've had good luck with whites, greens, and yellows in murky water so that's why I was wondering.
>>
>>697179
yeah. im still going to do a split grip with something like the grip tape thats on baseball bats and golf clubs between the reel seat and the bottom grip. though the botom grip wont be the bare cylinder thats common on most split grip rods, its going to have a double taper to it. like it will be maybe 1/8 inch thicker than the blank, swell out to fill my hand, then taper back down, and ill have a big ugly grip cap behind that.
>>
help me anons, i havent caught shit in over a month here in miami fishing in lakes and canals, been using from lures,spinners,live worms,shiners everything. could it be the coldish temps in miami? or am i just shit and should quit, not a single bite is quiet disheartening, please lend me wisdom
>>
>>697224
>go to beach
>bring longest best casting catfish rod, actual surf rod even better
>finger mullet
>5/0 hook and 3/6 ounce pyramid sinker
>heave
>wait for bite. drink with friends if you have any
>have fun weather you land a whopper or get nothing
>>
>>697224
Fishing has been tough for me as well. Keep an eye out for different spots too.

I'm the guy who bounces around from Boynton to Tampa.
>>
>>697229
economic problems at my job lately is making me a poor fag so i cant buy suchs rods and i rather not waste my time going to a the beach with such a light weight rod it would probs snap if something big gets on.

>>697235
trust me ive gone to over 20 lakes and canals in the past week alone, the bright side i suppose is just yesterday i saw 2 manatees swimming in the canals so that at least cheered up the day since it was pretty cool
>>
>>697238
I used to live by a lake called Lake Ida. About an hour north of you.

I grew up about a block away and had a bunch of friends that lived ON the lake. Needless to say I fished alot. After about 13-14 years of living there I can honestly tell you I caught exactly *1* Bass there and that was after we moved away and I was visiting a friend.

Its more about being /out/ than it is catching fish, even though now I seem to do okay.
>>
What are your favorite reel brand guys?
>>
>>697245
Shimano and daiwa hands down.
>>
>>697238
oh. most people happen to have a heavy combo sitting around somewhere collecting dust in my experience, but fair enough. you could always just grab your longest heaviest rod and slip a bucktail jig on there and gulp swimming mullet, just cast as you walk down the beach. i mean thats litterally 10 dollars to do if you buy a couple jigs.
>>
>>697245
daiwa and penn
>>
>>697249
>>697238
oh and when i say bucktails i mean .5-1.5 ounce, if you have a 7 foot uglystick and a reel with more than 15 pound test on it you can handle that.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>697224
The cooler water was great for largemouth for like two months. Then it started to warm up a little bit and seems like the largemouth fishing dropped off a cliff.

I got two largemouth yesterday and a handful more bites, and today I got one decent size guy as the sun was setting around 6:30pm. But I was out there for a few hours today so one fish isn't great. Had those Mayan Cichlids hitting a Rapala that was too big before it got dark. But that's about it.

Let's go fishing this weekend Miami anon. Meet me in Miramar or something. I was hitting some canals and lakes out there yesterday.
>>
>>697249
i guess i could head to key Biscayne and try that thanks for the tip anon.

>>697253
miramar is a tad far pepsi but maybe one day
>>
>>697245
Any of the big companies make nice stuff. There are a couple reels from the major companies that you want to avoid, but generally if you get a Penn, Shimano, Abu Garcia, Pflueger, Okuma, Mitchell, Quantum, etc. you can't go wrong.

A $50 Shimano or Abu Garcia spinning reel should last you years if you don't abuse it too bad. Won't be as smooth as a $250 reel from the same company, but it will definitely get the job done.
>>
>>697256
Let me know one of these days mang. If you have some good spots, I'll head down there.

Plus Miramar is basically Miami Gardens. Unless you are down in Homestead or something, it isn't far.

Those Miramar lakes and canals have some nice peacocks in them too. I think I need to go there with live shiners one day since they seem to be really picky. I don't have quite as many peacocks closer to me in Pompano and Deerfield.

Although the place I was at today, some guy who works there was telling me he got a 4lb peacock from there a few month. He said shiners were the way to go for them. I have never seen any peacocks in that lake though, but it is pretty big.

It's strange because I catch and see largemouth bass from like 4" long to 20" long, but I only ever see large peacocks. I'm suprised I don't at least catch some hungry smaller 10" peacocks like I seem to do with largemouth a lot.
>>
>>697256
>bucktail
my advice is get 4 inch chartruse swimming mullet, and a #2 baitholder hook. tie on the jig and then a foot up do a dropper loop. put the #2 baitholder hook in the dropper loop with a cow hitch, and whazam!
if youre going to buy a couple jigs of either different size or weight, tie a surgeons loop and then use a cow hitch to hold on the jig, so that changing them is faster.

>blue jigs is good if there are mullet around
>green/yellow jigs look a lot like small bunker
>white is a good do-it-all colour
>>
>>697264
i live in homestead/cutlerbay area, and trust me when i say that this week alone ive gone to canals and shit in homestead,kendall lakes, and even to the casino at the edge of 8th st where the everglades starts, this shit is dead lol so id warn you not to come down here lol
>>
So do you guys normally eat the fish you catch or do you mainly just catch and release? Personally, I only fish with the intention of acquiring food. Sure, I enjoy the act of fishing a lot as well but my main objective is to catch that night's dinner and hopefully have enough to put some into the freezer as well.
>>
>>697274
depends. if i dont feel confident ill get enough to feed anyone ill just release, or if its not a good eating fish like bass or pike. if i know ill have enough for at least one meal, ill keep a few.
>>
>>697158
big ass catfish

Sick of the wallows and bends and want to reach out into the open waters but the current is so strong, I shall try them ty
>>
>>697274
only sea fish, i rather not eat fish from these filthy ass canals in miami
>>
>>697245

Shimano and Penn. Okuma is the honorary 3rd place lol.
>>
>>697279
+1. I get a lot of people asking me if I eat the fish I catch out of these lakes and canals. Hell no. There is so much shit that gets washed into these water systems when it rains. If you ate one bass a week from the canals, you would probably get mercury poisoning within a few months.

>>697281
I really want to grab another Okuma reel one day. I really like that Stratus V for the price. I would be down to get another one. But I still think I'm going to grab another Shimano as my next spinning reel. Sedona or Sahara if I see one go on sale for cheap, or Symetre if I end up just paying full price. If I see a Symetre go on sale for cheap, I will be stoked.

If I ever start doing saltwater more I'm going to grab one of those Penn Fierce or Battle II combos. They sell so many they must be decent.
>>
>>697245
shimano and daiwa
>>697247
my man
>>
>>697291
What reels and rods do you have? Collection pic?
>>
Pepsi-san, you should really get a kayak and go do some ocean fishing. This vid shows a guy fishing off the coast in Pompano Beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXtf7s4W8_I
>>
>>697294
Dolphin are meme fish. They pretty and funny at the same time.
>>
>>697269
When I was at the Bass Pro at Dolphin Mall, dude who works there says he gets some nice bass in the canals around Florida City. I have been thinking about taking a drive down that way. Sometimes when I'm cruising down the Turnpike or I-75 to Miramar, I think about going further south to that area.

I still have a lot of spots I want to explore in West and Southwest Broward. I have been in that area a lot lately trying out different little lakes and canals. I scope them out when I'm working over there. There are so many places to go, especially on a Sunday afternoon where I can explore around industrial and commercial parks without being bothered. Weston has a nice little area like that.
>>
>>697274

Depends. Some fish here are pretty much guaranteed to have cigutera poison in them. And I don't need to eat them, so it's usually catch and release unless it's practically dead when it comes up.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>697293
I think my newest baitcaster combo is missing from here. I don't own anything too expensive.

>>697294
I wouldn't want to take a kayak out into the ocean very far. Talked about this in the last thread or the one before. Even if the waves aren't very big, the Gulfstream is still really strong. The Atlantic around here is like a river flowing to the north.

A kayak would be nice for the intercoastal though. Or for the canals, lakes, and swamp area (aside from gators). Pompano, Deerfield, and Fort Lauderdale also all have decent fishing piers and are all within a 15min drive. I think Delray has a pier as well.
>>
File: 20151214_211221.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151214_211221.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
>>697293

Heres mine.

If anyone is interested I can post the list...
>>
>>697306

Closer up of some of them. This was before my spinfisher v.
>>
>>697306
Heh we have the same Okuma reel. That thing is so great for the $30 I paid for it.
>>
>>697309
>>697309

Yup, works good enough for freshwater lol. Id like a nicer one, but can't really justify it.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>697304
>>697293
From the one with red line going clockwise:
1) Pflueger President LE on Abu Garcia Vendetta 6'6"
2) Abu Garcia Revo SX on Bass Pro Johnny Morris Carbonlite 6'6"
3) Abu Garcia Silver Max on Ugly Stik 6'6"
4) Shakespeare Ugly Stik combo 7' (bought to attempt saltwater)
5) Quantum (XS?) on cheap Bass Pro Power Plus rod 5'6"
6) Shimano Sienna 500 on Ugly Stik 5'
7) Abu Garcia Cardinal SX on Cardinal SX rod 6'6"
8) Pflueger President on Bass Pro Graphite Series 6'6"
9) Okuma Stratus V on Berkley Lightning Rod Shock 6'

I also gave 3 combos to my little brother to get him into fishing around the end of the summer. A Shakespeare 5'6" ultralite setup (that gold color reel they sell at Walmart which isn't too bad), a medium 6'6" Mitchell that served me well for years and years, and some bigger 7' Quantum combo with 40lb braid for playing in saltwater.

If anybody wants a nice setup for around $80, I have to reccommend that last combo. Those Okuma Stratus V reels are like permanently on sale at Dick's for $40. And those Berkley Lightning Rods cost about the same as an Ugly Stik. The Lightning Rod Shock is made specifically for braid and I really like that rod for the price. If I needed another rod for $40-$50, I would buy another Lighning Rod over an Ugly Stik.
>>
>>697325
That's the reel that I said earlier makes me want another Okuma. I think the regular retail on those reels is supposed to be like $60 or $70, but Dick's has had them on "clearance" for as long as I can remember. They are 8 or 9 bearings too, definitely nicer than the average $40 reel. I wonder if those baitcasters are any good. I would buy one for my little bro if he shows interest in it.

When I bought that Okuma on Black Friday, I was thinking about giving it to my bro. I'm glad I kept it though. I almost grabbed another spinning one either for him or a larger one for myself.

Plus that 25 size is great for freshwater. It's a good size between ultralight reels and medium. I have 10lb braid on it and it works perfect. It holds a good amount of #10 as well, and I could probably do 15# or even 20# if I wanted to. 4lb or 6lb mono would be great for it as well.

I used to run a lot of lighter combos for bass and stuff since a full medium with ~8lb mono is a little heavy to cast <1/4oz lures. I'm so glad I grabbed that reel because it replaces the light and medium reels in almost all situations. I can cast 1/8oz lures fine and it will handle stuff closer to 1oz. I bought that President LE in basically the same size after using that Okuma. I think the President LE might be a 30 or 35, but it is real close to Okuma's 25 size and a bit smaller than an Abu 35. Either way they are like 4lb-8lb mono reels where a medium would be 6lb-10lb and light 2lb-6lb.

What size is yours?
>>
>>697327
>going counter-clockwise if looking from the top*
My bad.
>>
>>696748

Surf was way too high to fish enjoyably this evening. Fortunately I keep a bodyboard in my car and stayed out on the water till just past sunset. Also, the Eddie Aikau was going on today.
>>
>>697162
My grandad used to do this. Unfortunately my side of the senpai lost the old house and with it all his molds and shit...
>>
>>697245
Most of my dads old reels were Zebco, Currently i have a light Okuma, medium light Spro, heavy Spro and medium heavy Tica baitrunner.

I find Spro to be quite good in my price range.
>>
File: IMG_20151214_243637483.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151214_243637483.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>697461
Unfortunately, using lead weights, or selling then in my state is against the law. Or rather that's the census on Maineflyfish.com. there is a pretty big discussion about lead being phased out and old guys getting tickets for using then recently.
>>
>>697672
What about those bucktails? That definitely has lead in it.
>>
>>697672

Time to switch to depleted uranium.
>>
>>697672
Melt zink wheel weights in to weight moulds. They won't be as heavy but they'll work
>>
>>697681

I find that non-gell filled golf balls work pretty well too, for what I do at least.
>>
>>697672

Question; why is no one making tungsten bucktails? Freshwater guys use em for weights and jigs, and being denser than lead makes them smaller and hold bottom with less weight. Hmm.

>>697337
Mine is the same size. Like I said its an alright reel. Drag is ok. Having used a lot of spinning reels I know there are better out there. But that okuma is so decent it's not justifiable to get another cheap mid tier reel.

I think the next step for me, and you if you're looking for reel in the same size class, is to just get a stradic lol.

Also, I have the stratus v baitcaster. I use it for fluke and topwater frogs mostly. I like it better than the blackmax. Seems to give me less issues with dialing in and such.
>>
>>697675
That's kind of the basis of the arguments, there is a Maine law about lead weights, but the interpretation is wierd
>>
>>696540

My incredibly old bamboo rod snapped in half. What do
>>
>>697807
You're either gonna have to either buy or make a new one.
>>
>>697722
I'm probably going to grab a Symetre next. $200 for a spinning reel is pretty tall. I'm sure the $100 Symetre would be nice. Just not sure when I will actually grab it. If I see a Sahara or Sedona on sale for a good price, I would get one of those as well.

I'm not sure what size to go with for my next spinning reel. I really like that Okuma 25 size with 10-15lb braid so I was thinking about another one of those but I have 2 decent combos right about that size. I could use a nicer lite combo, like 1000 or 1500 size on a 6' rod and run 6lb or 8lb braid on it. But I really don't use ultralights much anymore since that 25 size will cast most panfish lures well. Otherwise I could do a 3000 or 3500 with 15lb or 20lb braid. Use it for heavier lures or live bait. But I have a newer President reel around that size and a Cardinal SX 35 combo that is decent. Plus I've been trying to use the baitcasters more and any lures large enough to necessitate a 3500 reel should be fine on the baitcaster.

Not sure what to do. I really could use a nicer ~1000 size combo but I'm still digging that 2500 size so much that it would be nice to have a 3rd combo around the same size.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Bringin the catfish bait for when the sun goes down and I get frustrated with lures. We'll see how it goes. I haven't caught any cats since I moved to Florida. I would like to grab one just to know they're out there.
>>
>>697837

Idk, to me it seems this is a hobby you really enjoy and do frequently. If you can afford it, why not get the best stuff you can. Those stradics are really nice....lol. Common place in the flw and b.a.s.s masters tournament fishermen haha.
>>
>>697915
If I chill on buying a bunch of shit for a couple months, maybe I will do a Stradic. Since the end of last summer and fall, I have spent a lot of money on fishing stuff. I would still like a Sahara, Sedona, or Symetre in the near future to gauge if I really like Shimano enough to drop $200 on a reel. Only Shimano I have is that Sienna ultralight, and that one is cheap but there are some pros and cons. I'm also interested in an Abu or Quantum reel too so I need to think about it.

Plus I'm not going to do it on a shit rod, so a $200 Stradic plus ~$120-$150 rod (Maybe Abu or St. Croix) and then add tax and some Power Pro and I'm over $400.

I really need to quit smoking cigs and I would have so much more disposable income.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
>>697923

That sounds about right lol. My curado was close to $200 and barely scratched the surface of what shimano has to offer. Ive got my eye on a calcutta that I really want for saltwater.

Idk, its just fun having nice stuff haha. Even if it's not totally necessary.
>>
File: 2016-02-26 19.14.46.jpg (732 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-26 19.14.46.jpg
732 KB, 1080x1920
Heres a bass I caught in December. Cuz why not.

Yes thats my real face.
>>
>>697949
>that's my real face

I didn't know that Ring-Wraiths were into fishing.. You learn something new every day.
>>
File: 1456532244841.jpg (133 KB, 800x1422) Image search: [Google]
1456532244841.jpg
133 KB, 800x1422
>>697951
i ran a software enhance (x4) on this image and this is what showed-up

please don't talk to that poster anymore anon
>>
>>697945
I feel ya. I'm slowly moving up in the world as far as rods and reels are concerned. I used to fish a lot when I was much younger but at that age a $70 combo was nice. Then I didn't go fishing for years, and picked it up again about 3 years ago. I had a couple of rods that weren't totally fucked up from being in the garage that long but I needed to get a lot of new stuff. So besides spending a bunch on tackle recently, almost all of my rods and reels were bought in the past couple years. And even at only $75-$100 per setup (plus another ~$25 for line) that stuff will add up. I also gave my little bro 3 combos with fresh PowerPro.

Maybe I need to give another lighter combo to my brother so I have an excuse to spend a little money on a new spinning combo. I almost bought an Abu Revo S spinning combo, one of the smaller sizes, because Bass Pro had it on clearance for like $90 off of $120.
>>
>>697951

>screeches internally
>>
Today, I regret using amazon while drunk.

That said, the Trio 40S is kinda cool looking. Will probably murder it by letting it live on one of my small hiking poles.
>>
Do those really cheap chinese hard baits tend to work?
>>
>>698049
>amazon while drunk
not to post off topic but you ain't kidding. for me it's ebay though. sheitte i'm selling stuff now to make my money back ':|
>>
Anyone here use conventional reels? I was thinking about getting one.
>>
>>698051

Turns out I selected the wrong model, the 55S would have been more ideal. I guess I can try running 90% braided out of the one I got and see how that works out.
>>
>>698053

Only for trolling/bottom fishing on a boat. I don't care for some of the fancier Penns and Shimanos because the clicker/alarm on em is way too quiet if the motors are running.
>>
I want a retro saltwater spinning reel because they they're tough as hell and look interesting. Anyone have a mitchell 302 or something similar? I'd mainly use it for surfcasting.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>698050
You mean like the Bass Pro store brand crank baits and stuff that are $2 when a similar Rapala would be $10?

If that's what you mean, I have had luck with them. I like to use them in new lakes and fishin holes or areas I know I might get snagged in. The action is never quite as nice as the real ones and the paint will chip off or hooks and little rings that hold the hooks will bend.

I also have a handful of cheal in-line spinners. Some generic black with silver and white with silver blades. They don't spin as reliably as Mepps or even Rooster Tails, but I don't care if they get caught on a branch or rock since they are <$2.

Pic related, cheap shit. But I have caught a lot of fish on those gold Rapala type baits. The bigger one is great for bass and I think I even got a gar on it once.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>698065
>>698050
>$2 lure vs $10 lure
>>
>>698058
I use an old 6100 series mitchell for surf, it's fun, loud but fun.

I started a youtube channel, haven't uploaded anything yet, wanted to get /out/'s opinion before making any content.

What kind of stuff would you guys want to see?
>>
>>696540
yo guys where's a good place to buy size 30 hooks? I heard places that sell fly fishing gear but I don't wanna pay for shipping on like a dollar worth of hooks. and my bass pro doesn't got any. I think the smallest are like 12s.
>>
>>698095
What are you doing with 30# hooks
>>
>>698086
Batoning with Moras

What about dialing in the drag and brakes perfectly on casting reels? Also a few short videos on fishing different lures would be cool. Fishing jigs, Carolina or Texas rigs, topwater like poppers and buzzbaits.

When I was fishing this afternoon and evening, some random nig came up and started fishing and I was talking to him a bit. He was fishing a Texas rigged soft plastic crawdad and his technique was real interesting. He was fishing this weed patch where the weeds start about 5' off shore and are real thick to about 25' from shore. He would cast out maybe 10' past the edge of the weeds, crank it along the bottom until he got to the edge of the weed bed, and then just reel it in really fast through the weeds.

It was just interesting to me because he was casting 40' out, then working the lure for only about 10' until he hit the weeds and would just retrieve it real fast. For me, if I cast 40' out, I want to be working that reel the whole 40' back to the shoreline. Dude said he has been getting fatty "bigmouth" in that spot with that technique.

Dude also said he catches "crappy" in this lake, which I have never seen or caught anywhere around here. So I'm not sure if he calls carp "crappy" or if there really are crappie around here but I have never gotten them.
>>
>>698098
I haven't tubed a caster yet, maybe I'll get one and see what happens.

That kid wasn't the "bass assasin" was it? There is a kid in your area on Instagram that slays bass and fishes like that.
>>
>>698096
Catch fish?.. when im bored and there's nothing biting my large rod, I wanna try something called "micro" fishing for shits and giggles.. catching minnows on a pole and hook, sounds mildly entertaining. when otherwise i'd just pack up an leave.
>>
>>698103
Really? Minnows?

You should just grab some mighty mites or those tiny 1/32oz jig heads with 1" Gulp! minnows or grubs. They are kinda fun when shit isn't biting and I just want to rip some bluegill out of the water.

>>698101
Def not a youtube celebrity. Just some random nig.
>>
Anyone have any opinions on KastKing braided line? Noticed that the stuff is pretty cheap.
>>
>>698112
Never heard of it.

You should just wait for PowerPro to go on sale. I think Dick's has all Suffix line BOGO 50% off which isn't bad. Dick's and Bass Pro will have Spider Wire and Power Pro on sale quite a bit for 25% off.

Who makes that KastKing?

Also it's worth spending the money on good braid because it will last you years without getting brittle and tangled like monofilament. Good braid should last at least 4-5 seasons.
>>
>>698118

All those chains totally non-existent in my state. I'd have to pay ~800 for a plane ticket to go to the nearest one.

Reviews seem to indicate that it's not great, but not the worst. I already use power pro on my giant bottom fishing rigs, but the really low price caught my attention.
>>
>>698125
The fuck do you live? In the US?

Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dick's, pretty much all of them also have deals or codes for cheap or free shipping if you keep an eye our.

Otherwise eBay vendors.
>>
Anyone here flyfish? 406 here with this crazy warm weather hopping the thaw comes early...
>>
Anyone here flyfish? 406 here waiting for the thaw...
>>
>>698154
Well fuck.
>>
I apologize, I go /out/ too much and can't into 4chan
>>
>>698086
I'd watch a video that consisted of you rigging up for surfcasting, setting your drag by hand, casting out, some footage of you reeling the fish in, and some footage of you holding the fish and then releasing it or putting it on ice or something. Cut out the really boring parts but show enough that someone could emulate your setup and methods.
>>
>>698152
>>698154
I've done a little fly fishing.. very little compared to standard rod/reel fishing though. It's fun but down here in TX there's not much advantage to using a fly rod over a regular setup with the species of fish that we have available.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>698086
I had a great idea for the JewTube channel:
>product reviews and shilling
Seriously, you could get so much cool shit for free. My old drum instructor writes for one of the two main drumming magazines, and does mostly product reviews. So around once a month, companies send him some new product that could be worth uo to thousands of dollars. He plays with them, types up an article about them, gets to keep the product, and gets paid to do all of this.
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 640x1136
>>698261
>>698101
Here's one of his recent reviews
>just mail me a boutique drum kit worth thousands. Sure; I'll play it and tell you what I think!

Imagine doing this wih the newest top of the line Shimano reels and G. Loomis rods...

http://www.drummagazine.com/gear/post/craviotto-center-stage-kit/
>>
>>696813
they're usually used as vertical jigs when ICe fishing
>>
>>698266
The chances of that happening are nonexistent. I'd personally love to do reviews, but I feel like its over done, and I doubt anything that significant comes from it.
>>
>MFW went fly fishing three times last week
>Wife won't talk to me because she's so mad
>sitting in my office tying midges for tomorrow's hatch
>>
File: IMG_20160205_174119328.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160205_174119328.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
>>698154
Yep, this winter was an amazing season.

I don't do it much, come spring. But I'll probably get a 9wt for striper.

Heading to CO in April for a fly trip.
>>
File: IMG_20151216_144136926.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151216_144136926.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2340
>>698318
You need a spouse that fishes.
>>
>>698328
not the anon you messaged but only ever met two girs who were honestly interested in fishing (that i knew) before i met them, one was a (my quote buttons are broken) but a so called country girl (country girl in quotes) a total sweetheart, but my truck isnt shiny and lifted so she wasnt so interested in me , still we were good friends for a while, second gir i worked with for a while and was honestly interested in fishing, would have been a total catch if she wasnt 5 years older then me , that made me go full autisim mode about perusing any sort of relationship
>>
>>698345
ive been fishing since i was in diapers and while ive brought a handfull of girls out fishing/kayaking none of them ever get interested
>>
>>698340 #
My spouse started when I started, we just kind of decided to try fishing together one day, and we haven't stopped since.

We both did it here and there as children with relatives and stuff, but recently its all we do.

>>698348
Deleted comment with wrong name. Reposted here.
>>
>>698358
got it, its a shame i went full social retard, b-but a gir 5 years older then me wouldnt want me r-right?
>>
>>698360
Heh sure anon. Whatever makes you feel ok with your decisions.

I need to get myself a girl. I don't even care if she fishes. I need a girl who knows how to cook. I'm sick of fast food and frozen pizzas.
>>
>>698375
it just makes me feel worse, tfw i can cook buy myself just fine, i just need some nbuddies with cash to live with so rent doesnt kill me
>>
>>698377
Yeah that would be nice too, but I like having my own place. I had shitty experiences with roommates in college. But that was also a tiny dorm with 3 people and then a frat house where I shared a bedroom with somebody and shared a bathroom with 30 people.
>>
>>698380
id like just one or two buddies, i mean minimum rent where i live is 8-900$ a month usually unless youre living in a shitty area, id like to ideally have a place doen south to visit and fish at in forida or some shit aswell as a place up north on a ake
>>
>>698380
>>698381
panning on talking to someone i knew about buying a trailer on his property and fixing it up so i can have a place on a lake, shoud be able to get it for 20-25k
>>
>>698308
You gotta write for somebody or be kinda well-known first though. Couldn't hurt to shill for some upstart lure company a little bit though and hope they eventually throw you some new stuff to try out.

I have a few friends who are sponsored by BMX companies as well. They don't always get a real paycheck from them, but they will get free parts, clothing, shoes, and one friend is even sponsored by a whiskey company and tattoo shop. Hashtag them on the IG posts and they hook it up. They also get a travel budget where the companies will pay for them to take trips to go film a video or enter a competition.
>>
>>698383
http://youtu.be/bTxhESjYHJE

Since I'm too old and crippled to to this anymore, I want to do the fishing equivalent of it.
>>
>>698383
Eh I don't care for any of that, just want to show some fishing.
>>
>>698387
make a youtube channel, and dont add shtty musi il be one of yor first subs
>>
>>698138

No free shipping out to Hawaii last time I checked.
>>
File: image.jpg (656 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
656 KB, 2448x2448
>tfw it came in

I have to get it spooled with power pro.
>>
What freshwater fish can I catch while the water temp is around 40 degrees Fahrenheit?
>>
>>698394
Isn't it nice!
>>
>>698400
Yup, can't wait to try it out.
>>
I'm so ready for spring!
>>
>>698397
Pike, Crappie, and Perch seem to be the main ones everybody gets ice fishing. Idk much about cold water fishing, but seems like one of those things where you will have to move around until you find a little school.

Don't quote me on that
>>
>>698405
Is fly fishing hard? I've never tried it.
>>
>>698397
pike start to spawn ice out, perch and crappie slightly before so what pepsi saisd
>>
>>698417
it's not hard just takes some practice. Orvis offers classes. See if on is near you.
>>
>>698138

Fuck it, I just sent in an invoice for $300, so I ordered both. I'll let you know how they do.
>>
File: lures20.jpg (88 KB, 1095x775) Image search: [Google]
lures20.jpg
88 KB, 1095x775
How big is too big with lures?

>tfw these 25ft divers still get snagged in the middle of the Murray
>>
>>698568
haha those look so fun to fish with! what exactly are they?
>>
File: lures6.jpg (166 KB, 953x695) Image search: [Google]
lures6.jpg
166 KB, 953x695
>>698571
>haha those look so fun to lose!

Fixed. JD/Eddy Lures, they're $29 a pop here.
http://stores.jdlurestas.com/
>>
>>698575
thank you
>>
>>698579
No Wukkaz.
>>
File: Cod111111.jpg (157 KB, 1141x740) Image search: [Google]
Cod111111.jpg
157 KB, 1141x740
>>698575
>tfw will never get a 1M Cod
>>
>>698593
I'm thinking they would be good tuna lures.
>>
File: Cod222222.jpg (208 KB, 1243x758) Image search: [Google]
Cod222222.jpg
208 KB, 1243x758
>>698593
They are marketed towards other big fish like Barramundi Etc so they might do.
>>
>>698607
Whoops meant for >>698604
>>
File: perch.jpg (160 KB, 1040x722) Image search: [Google]
perch.jpg
160 KB, 1040x722
But then Callop (Golden Perch) are greedy cunts anyway, they will attempt to eat anything regardless of size.
>>
>>698615
nice fish!
>>
>>698568
Those lures are comically large. I wish there were stuff swimming around here that would bite these.
>>
File: callop9.jpg (165 KB, 1329x770) Image search: [Google]
callop9.jpg
165 KB, 1329x770
>>698616
Thanks, but this is a nice fish.

>>698617
Where do you live?
>>
>>698619
looks tasty, might try one of these goofy looking lures out on the boat this summer, or trolling a high tide in the river.
>>
>>698619
Southern Connecticut. Far enough from the sound to make driving too far.
>>
>>698621
>goofy looking

They have large bibs and eyes for a reason, at least with fishing the freshwater in southern aus, Cod are the main Predators here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8rb7qvwvWc

>>698623
Hows the fishing there?
>>
>>698630
>They have large bibs and eyes for a reason,
oh of course, I was refering to the cool googly looking eyes. regardless they look like they swim deep and erratic, which I like.
>>
File: lures5.jpg (88 KB, 741x731) Image search: [Google]
lures5.jpg
88 KB, 741x731
>>698634
Just curious, any decent American and European brands make these type?
>>
>>698630
Pretty standard for the eastern US. Mostly largemouth fishing, with some okay trout rivers in the area. Sadly I'm too far south to get much pike action.
>>
>>698637
I remember seeing something very similar to that in Marden's last spring. I'm positive there is a US manufacturer, just not sure who as I have never used them.
>>
>>698638
Pike a shit, Perch is the go to.

>>698641
There has got to be a place to use large Freshwater Lures, ask around.
>>
>>698648
I know exactly where to use them, I typically use 6-9inch plugs. Just don't have any crankbaits like the ones you pictured.

I sure as shit know a few good places around me to put them to work.
>>
File: murray cod111111111111111.png (2 MB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
murray cod111111111111111.png
2 MB, 768x1024
>>698651
Be careful

http://truetales.com.au/publications/book/lower_murray_river_catchment_chapter_21.pdf
>>
>>698657
holy shit.

I won't be fishing anything like that EVER.
>>
>>698394
i hope to god you bought it off a reputable seller.
>>
>>698660
You North Americans have much more shit to worry about.
>>
File: Cod blowering 550.jpg (43 KB, 550x397) Image search: [Google]
Cod blowering 550.jpg
43 KB, 550x397
>>698660
Can't find the article now but back in the early 1900's a Murray cod tried to take in a German worker swinging his feet off a wharf in Blanchetown, dude held onto a pole and only just survived, his foot was fucked up for a month due to their rasp like teeth. A few years before that at Walkers flat a horse started panicking midstream, they had to use a block and tackle to winch the horse onto land and found a big fat fucking Murray Cod still latched onto its leg, 90lbs.
>>
>>697245
Daiwa and Shimano, though I also have a couple of very old Pflueger and Ambassadeur baitcasters that I love as well.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>698637
55mm, so those are a little over 2" long?

That body shape I remember seeing marketed as Walleye crankbaits. Cab't rememer if they were a Bass Pro store brand or some Strike King lures. But anyway look into "Walleye Lures".

Also, took an impromtu trip to Dick's after I lost a spinnerbait at the lake. It was one of the few more natural colored ones I have. Seems like they sell lots of black, white, and chartruese but not many more natural silver and brown colors.

Dick's had Zoom baits for BOGO 50% off which was decent. But I wanted a couple different colors of crawdad type lures to use as trailers or Texas rigs. But they only had one color of Zoom crawdads, a green sparkled one. They had a million colors of flukes, worms, and lizards. So I got the PowerBait one and then a bag of these Havocs because they were cheap. I would've bought like 4 bags of Zoom if they had more crawdads.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 640x1136
>>698637
>>698720
This is what I was talking about. There are other companies that make simlar shaped lures. Deep diving with that long, thin, curved body. Just search online for walleye lures or walleye crank baits.

I own a couple deep diving (DT) Rapalas that are similar, and another one that is shad colored and probably a Strike King but I'm not shre.
>>
How do I catch big pikes? Wabamun lake if any Albertafags are in here. All I catch are small things that are like 6lb.
>>
File: muh tinnie2.jpg (114 KB, 1203x775) Image search: [Google]
muh tinnie2.jpg
114 KB, 1203x775
>>698720
I was referring to the deep diver in that photo but yeah.
>>
>>698417
Not really, though in my case I started young, fly fishing out of a boat for panfish using dry flies.
The biggest thing for me was to get used to not reeling in line, and finding the right amount of line to have out for the conditions you're in.
Of course, lake fishing for panfish is a LOT different than river fishing for trout, and there's a lot of FF techniques I never learned because of that.
>>
>>698637
The US lire company Bagley's used to make a lure almost exactly like that. They called it a Diving Smoo, after a comic strip character with a large nose like the lip of the bait.
Sadly, Bagley's has been bought out and the Smoo was discontinued long before that. There are probably still clones of it out there, though. A decent lure design never dies, it just changes makers.
>>
>>698648
>There has got to be a place to use large Freshwater Lures
There is-it's called the Great Lakes. People troll huge lures up and down them, fishing for Walleye and Muskie.
>>
>>696665
Melbourne...florida?

Is the Wabasso tackle shop still a thing?
>>
>>698053
all the time. i prefer them for distance casting, and for bigger game. the penn 525 mag is what i run on a 12 foot beef stick and it casts like a dream, and i have a heavy combo with a pen longbeach no.68 spooled with 50 pound mono as my two most used, but i also have a 7 foot rod with a daiwa sealine x40 sha, and a trolling rod wearing a penn longbeach no.60
>>
>>698387
>>698388
ill be number two
>>
>>698638
>okay trout rivers
FUCK TOU THE TROUT RIVERS ARE GREAT I RAISED THEM FROM FINGERLINGS AD PUT THEN IN THEBRIVER MYSELF BY HAND

Jk what rivers do you fish? Some are stocked better then others
But seriously i put those fish there
>>
>>698617
a 2 pound large mouth bass can and will eat a 9 inch gizzard shad, so...
pike can and will eat fish half their body length as well
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
This spinner has 2 hooks on it. Interdasting... Should I rip it off?

>>698744
I think he's an Aussie cunt
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 640x1136
I almost grabbed pic related today when I was at Dick's. But the bluegill one instead of the craplie. Looked like a good lure for big bass in really clear water.

But I was concerned because it only has that one little treble hook. Seems like a largemouth or big snakehead would have to hit it just perfectly to actually hook it well enough to land the fish.

Anybody else see the hook on this as a problem? If it had one more treble hook in the tail, I would be sold.

Also after reading reviews online, people say it has horrible to no action and like to swim sideways. But the cut slits in the side and it swims much better.
>>
My luck in a nutshell

>Go riding on motorcycle
>Most lakes clear of ice
>Check fishinglisense
>Expired
>Check bank account
>Bills ate all but 3 dollars
>1 week till pay day
>>
>>698770
It's a trailer hook; leave it. If the bass are just nipping the back of the skirt that will hook them.
>>
>>698778
I know. I found it kinda odd though. Don't most people just use an inch or two of line for the trailer hook? I've never seen one where the trailer hook is actually hanging off the main hook.
>>
>>698775
And that sucks. You shoulda just gone for it and if you got stopped, be all like "Really?! It expired last week? Damn, I didn't notice!"
>>
>>698779
I've only seen them connected like that. >>698780
I'd like to but I'm not risking my gear lol
>>
>>698781
The gear thing is why I try not to chance it. I would risk a ticket, but not getting all my tackle getting taken away.

In November my shit actually expired and I didn't notice until I was on my way to the lake. It was a Sunday afternoon though, and Walmart was the only place nearby that was open. And I despise Walmart plus it would take like 45min just to find somebody to do it. So I drove around looking for an open bait shop, couldn't find one, and just went fishing anyway with a license that expired a week before.
>>
>>698788
Yeah. If it was just risking 150 buck ticket I'd play dumb and hope for the best But it's actually a 500 dollar ticket when you factor in I've usually got a few hundred dollars worth of gear on me.
>>
>>698770

Nah leave it. This is a common way to add a trailer hook and could prevent short strikes
>>
>>698740
Whats the deal with those fish? It's all I hear North Americans talk about.
>>
>>698774
Never underestimate cheap lures, especially when they look like Carp. Literally anything will go them.
>>
File: call of doodee.jpg (159 KB, 1183x794) Image search: [Google]
call of doodee.jpg
159 KB, 1183x794
>>698723
Do those come at 140mm? Shuddering at the thought of what Rapala would charge for them.
>>
>>698571
Should have explained properly sorry, They are deep diving Hardbody lures designed to troll off a boat to catch big fish like Murray Cod and Barramundi. They are supposed to catch those fish right out of the tacklebox but any serious fisherman swaps out the split rings and hooks as they are prone to breaking/straightening out.
>>
>>698770
No, the stinger hook is on there for a reason.
>>
>>698774
I have one. The action is really very lifelike. My big problems are that the treble hook collects every weed in the pond, and the lure is too heavy for my rods to like throwing it properly.
>>
>>698887
Ever thought of swapping the treble out for a single hook? Helps me a lot when lures just like to do weeding.
>>
>>698864
They're both just big, tasty fish are fun as hell to catch. Plus Muskie fight like demons, so there's that. My problem is neither live within 500 miles of me, so fishing for either is a little hard.
Where I am people mostly fish for largemouth bass, bluegill or catfish, with an occasional bowfin thrown in for good measure.
>>
>>698889
True and I've done it before, but the weight issue remains. It's probably the real reason I don't throw it more.
>>
>>698770
Nah-it's there for a reason.
Fish love to strike those lures at the very tail, but the skirts slide right through their mouths. Having that hook in the back lets you get a lot more fish.
>>
>>698891
Wouldn't bass be more fun to catch?

>>698893
How heavy is it?
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 640x1136
>>698870
Those Strike King Banana ones are closer to 100mm. Check these out though. Around 120mm. At those sizes for a deep diver it may be worth looking at some saltwarer stuff. Fresh and saltwater crankbaits are interchangeable for the most part anyway.

http://m.basspro.com/Reef-Runner-Deep-Diver-Hardbaits-800-Series/product/30526/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 59

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.