[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would /out/ consider the best state for fish and game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7
File: academia_us_physical_mural_lg.jpg (1 MB, 2500x1596) Image search: [Google]
academia_us_physical_mural_lg.jpg
1 MB, 2500x1596
What would /out/ consider the best state for fish and game?

I live in maryland right now the fishing is great so is the hunting but there's just to many people and i want a change of locale.
>>
Too general of a question. What kind of fishing are you into? What types of hunting are you interested in?
>>
>>695537
In Maryland i fished crab and rockfish a lot and i hunted a lot of geese and deer
>>
>>695532
Texas, no question.
>>
>>695532
Not saying it's the best, but in my experience, I've always had the most opportunity and the most interesting, diverse, large catches in Michigan, both peninsulas.
>>
>>695532
Washington is great for waterfowl & fish. There's also decent deer & elk. For upland bird your best bet is the midwest. Hogs are best in Texas.

I'd say the most versatile is porbably here in Washington state. Canada goose, duck and grouse are great all around. Snow goose is available in the North. There's some chuckar and pheasant in the southeast. The land is pretty crowded with hikers and such for deer but there's still plenty of opportunities and abundant game. There's some elk herds in the Olympics. There's a huge variety of fishing opportunities (ocean, lake, river), with exceptional salmon and crab. Most lakes are stocked with trout. There's plenty of cougars and bears, but I'm not experienced with those so I'm not sure how the hunting is.

WA is a great /out/ state in lots of ways. There's a huge amount of national and state park, a variety of climates, and mild weather.
>>
>>695532
Wyoming without a doubt
>>
>>695532
you are going to miss scrapple when you move.
>>
Louisiana, state motto is "sportsmans paradise"
>>
Alaska. We have a lot of fish and game and a resident hunt and fish license is only $48.
>>
>>695532

Don't come to Washington, there are too many fucking people here and the population is growing FAST.

>>695565

And you--stop telling people about how great it is here.
>>
File: Registered-Maine-Guide-Patch.gif (50 KB, 244x270) Image search: [Google]
Registered-Maine-Guide-Patch.gif
50 KB, 244x270
Maine.

Prove.
Me.
Wrong.
>>
>>695807
No mountains.
>>
>>695817
Well, that was quick
>>
>>695817
>what is Katahdin
>What is Sugarloaf
>What is Saddleback
>What are the Bigalowes
>What are the Mahoosics

d-do you actually /out/?
>>
>>695817
>Fish and Game thread
>"No Mountains"
i dont think u got the point of the thread there m8
>>
Canada
>>
>>695875
Pretty much this. Hunting in Ontario is suberb, fishing laws are pretty tight but eh fuck it.
>>
I'll go out on a limb here and say that Floridas fishing is so far ahead of any other state that it makes up for its mediocore game hunting. She's #1 in my book
>>
Rub' al Khali
>>
>>695873
>this is what easterners think are mountains
kek
>>
>>695904
Florida fishing is indeed God tier. Everything else /out/ related is shit tier though.
>>
>>695532
South Dakota m8

Best of both worlds. Excellent glacial lakes, reservoirs, and trout streams.
>>
>>695883
>Canada
>eh

I knew you were going to say that.
>>
File: 1455077729140.png (1 MB, 1268x898) Image search: [Google]
1455077729140.png
1 MB, 1268x898
>>696209
I really want to go to the Dakotas for a pheasant hunting trip. South eastern Mn fag here. Tfw there is so little small game to hunt
>>
Montana
>deer
>antelope
>elk
>moose
>big horn sheep
>mountain goat
>black bear
>wolves
>duck
>pheasant
>grouse
>geese
And the fishing speaks for itself
Unfortunately we're full
>>
Montana, indubitably.
>>
>>696331
Fuck u, my post took forever to load.
>>
>>696339
Well mine was more thorough anyway :^)
>>
>>696331
>>696336
I was going to say this, but I didn't want to give anyone any crazy ideas about moving here.
>>
>>695873
no rocky mountains

>>695875
>ontario
>fucking deer tags
>hunting a shit
>>
>>696331
dw, weed isnt legal so nobody's coming
>>
>>695578
ayy i'm moving to wyoming in june
>>695601
and ayy you reminded by i'm gonna miss scrapple.... damm son
>>
>>695807
came here to post this.

Also, Massachusetts is like all of New England downsized. Cape for Fishing and the Berks for hunting. You're 2 hours towards everything, including civilization... and other states.
>>
Additional point of consideration. Freshwater fishing is fun, but gets old quickly compared to saltwater.

OP is from MD, and probably smells like crab.
>>
File: Kanye-West-Loves-Kanye-West.png (239 KB, 500x412) Image search: [Google]
Kanye-West-Loves-Kanye-West.png
239 KB, 500x412
>>696513
>>696097

>his mountains havent been around since the dawn of time

chuckled heartily m8
>>
>>695801
Shhh.... don't tell them and they won't come
>>
>Ctrl+F Wisconsin
>No results

What the fuck, Wiscofags? I know we maybe lacking a little on the Big Game front but...
>Big Whitetails
>Ruffed Grouse
>Muskie
>Walleye
>Bois Brule River
>Lake Superior
>Lake Michigan
>Ice Fishing

We have a bit of everything. Keeps me outdoors every season
>>
>>696514
It's on the ballot for the next election. Probably has an outside chance of passing
>>
>>696328
South Dakota is great, especially where I am situated. I hate when out of state people cull everything out on opening day.
>>
>>696097
>implying easterners don't know western mountains are bigger
>implying eastern mountains aren't still mountains
>>
im partial to Wisconsin fishing cuz i live here. But Tennessee is a close second.
>>
ITT: everybody mentions their own state, and one person trolls by mentioning the empty quarter.

Moving to minnesota soon. Anybody from around there? I'm hoping the walleye make up for the Somalians.
>>
I was talking to a friend from Idaho who said that it was really nice in the northern part i was wondering what people thought about Idaho
>>
>>696328
>I really want to go to the Dakotas for a pheasant hunting trip. South eastern Mn fag here. Tfw there is so little small game to hunt

You are literally a 4-6 hour drive away from South Dakota, what's stopping you?
>>
>>695555
>Texas, no question.

Holy shit--don't you texas fags ever stop?
You guys don't even crack the top 25.
>>
>>695601
And old bay
>>
>>695565
>>695806
This. Washington is full unless you'll vote red to balance out the communist cancer spilling into our state from the south.
>>698599
Walleye is easily my favorite freshwater fish. Whitefish, crappie, perch, sm/lg bass are great, pike isn't bad either. Pike make for a fun fight too. You just gotta know how to filet a few of them right. Fishing is big enough in the state that opening weekend being mother's day weekend, mothers and children I think if the mom is there fish free.
As long as you don't live in some of the poorer parts of the twin shitties you don't really need to worry much about niggers, and actually the Somalis are supposedly having fair success integrating, it's the native darkies you need to mind, see: BLM tards. But the state is shall issue so you're free to defend yourself if you get stuck somewhere shitty.
BWCAW is an absolutely beautiful park and there's a smattering of other nice ones.
>>695555
>almost zero public land, the state
>actively being colonized by ca/new england cancer
>also cartels and the usual spic gangs but in droves
>>
>>696589
Wisco fag here; don't forget bluegil and perch. I have fond memories of fishing/eating both of those near Ripon, Wi. as a boy. Also wanted to thank you for teaching ctrl+F to me just now.
>>
>>698733
It's quite nice. Used to live in Boise before moving to Kentucky, but I spent my summers in northern Idaho. What a fucking mistake it was, moving here.

I'm scraping pennies to get my ass up in the northern half of Idaho.

Anything specific you want to know?
>>
>>700017
How much rain do they get up there?
>>
>>700081
Not him but Coeur d'Alene averages about 25 inches of precip a year. The summers are nice and dry though
>>
>>700081
Lemme get this out of the way
> place sucks, don't move there

It's great.

That anon is right, it doesn't rain much, but when it does, it's beautiful.

You'll get those days in fall where it's overcast and kinda chilly. Perfect flannel weather. In the summer you get the heat and fire season starts up, but if you're lucky, you'll have perfect weather for the entire season.

If you're outside of Boise, locals are nice. Especially in tourist towns like McCall and Idaho city. They despise Californians, though.

Which, if I'm being totally honest, I do too.

Take a vacation there and you'll see if you like it. I'd recommend you hit priest lake, McCall, Hell's Canyon and really any of the national forests.

Like I said, I'm still in love with the place.
>>
>>700609
The Frank Church is pretty awesome. Middle Fork of the Salmon is one of the best float trips anywhere
>>
>>695532
Wisconsin is one of the best states for fishing. Head on up to the Brule River sometime. It has amazing canoe/kayak route and some of ( if not the best ) trout fishing in the world.
>>
>>695578
>>696515
STAY OUT OF MY STATE!!!!
>>
>>695873

I was just about to come in and drop the downeast bomb. Maine is mostly wilderness guys, lakes for miles, mountains, and backwoods folks who don't give a shit about you.

It really is nice. The wife and I are considering taking jobs in Portland and moving up there from CT
>>
>>696097

lol i bet you moved to denver 4 years ago for college from lincoln.

nice one
>>
>>696328

i lived in the black hills for two seasons working for the federal government. it really is a magical place. of course every summer you get all sorts of faggots coming in from out of state on their way to yellowstone and clog up the roads. And dont get me started on Sturgis, every fat ass boomer dad on his fart cycle cruising around 40 deep, its maddening.
>>
>>702086
Maine does seem pretty based, probably the only eastern state I'd really like to live in
>>
>>695555
No. Fuck texas. That place is a spic ridden dirty shitty state
>>
>>702230
>jealous
>>
File: pafrontmap.jpg (201 KB, 950x642) Image search: [Google]
pafrontmap.jpg
201 KB, 950x642
Pennsylvania has some of the best black bear hunting I've seen
>>
Anyone from Tennessee?
>>
>>696328
I grew up in the North Woods, and I'd bag hundreds of squirrels a year it seemed like. Now I live in south central MN, and I agree with you on the small game front. Plenty of rabbits, though.

I wish the fishing was better down here, most of the lakes turn to sludge if it doesn't rain enough. None of the crystal clear rock bottom lakes of my youth. Must be all the agricultural runoff.
>>
>>698599
Oh, definitely, especially if you stay away from the twin cities/rochester. Nobody with a skin color darker than fair if you get away from the major population centers, with the exception of hmong. But they're cool.
>>
>>695578
where at in Wyoming? I've lived here for 20 years, love it.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.