[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
becoming a fire lookout
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: trnxpkdee64utahrerdu.jpg (691 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
trnxpkdee64utahrerdu.jpg
691 KB, 2560x1440
this will sound gay, but this game (firewatch) has seriously inspired me to become a fire lookout.
So if anyone here has been or knows a fire lookout now would be the time to convince me that being completely alone hours from civilization is not absolutely perfect, because it sounds exactly that.
>>
>completely alone

Yeah, no. Most operational fire towers are along popular hiking trails and double as tourist attractions. You'll have plenty of visitors.
>>
>>688914
:(
>>
>>688909
life isn't a videogame
>>
>>688919

You can't prove that bro.

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html
>>
>>688909
Every time I play Red Dead Redemption I wish that I was in the old west, then I remember that I'd be dedded so many times over by now.
>>
>>688909
>wahh i want to be alone wahhh im so deep and intellectual wahhh no one understands me wahhhh

grow up
>>
>>688925
Well if it turns out it is, I'm leaving a shitty review on steam.
>>
>>688928
>wahh my kids are shit eating faggots, wahh loveless marriage, wahhh fuck I wish I had the sack to regain control over the life that has been stolen away from me by taking a job as a fire lookout.

Grow up... Fuckin' normie.
>>
File: 1455558614954.jpg (525 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1455558614954.jpg
525 KB, 2560x1440
you all just have your minds blown
>>
File: 1455361713630.gif (858 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
1455361713630.gif
858 KB, 240x228
>>688936
Yeah, that's real nice son. Go play in the yard.
>>
>>688942
I HATE YOU I'M NEVER COMING BACK
>>
>>688928
I didn't mean for it to sound like that.
I currently live in a city and love it, but having a panoramic view and silence sounds really nice, especially if it will only be temporary like a lookout job is.
>>
>>688926
>youhavediedofdysentery.png
>>
You can be one now; you just need to live in da woods, and the rural fire brigade is as good as you'll get within hours
>>
>>688909

Did anyone else just stop playing the actual game and just enjoy the views?

I wish I had the time and no obligations to just stay in a place like that a full season.
>>
>>688926
I too sometimes fantasize about what life would be like in the "Old West" days. Then I remember that I was born with a cleft lip and palate and also had severe inner ear issues as an infant and young child that required like 5 surgeries to keep me from being deaf....

So, on the off chance that I even survived to adulthood I would've been a disfigured deaf-mute harelip... I am glad to have been born in the age of modern medicine and plastic surgery, I can hear well enough to get by and most people don't even notice that I once had a cleft lip unless I tell them.
>>
>>688985
Man, that game was a blast.
>>
>>689106
I see your point, I would've personally tarred and feather'd you before making you dance around the saloon by firing .45LC at your feet.
>>
Used to know a guy who worked one of these for years. He had a few stories of lightning strikes etc.
>>
>>689241
Eh, the doc / midwife probably would've just smothered me right after birth like they did most newborns showing obvious severe birth defects back then. Most people just couldn't afford to spend the time or money to try and keep such a child alive. With a "complete" cleft lip as well as a fully cleft hard palate, I wouldn't have been able to breastfeed at all (can't suck a tit when your upper lip and the roof of your mouth are split open all the way into your sinus cavity), and would've suffered from constant respiratory infections that would've eventually developed into pneumonia and killed me long before I reached adulthood.

Children with "incomplete" cleft lips and non-cleft palates were generally easy enough to keep alive, and there was even some rudimentary reconstructive surgeries available to somewhat repair minor cleft lips like that.
>>
>>689258
Yeah man, I lost an arm a while back in an industrial accident. I sometimes wonder how I might've fared back then. Not very well I imagine.
>>
>>689266
Well, if you'd survived the initial blood loss and didn't develop a fatal infection right afterwards then you would've probably been alright. Gangrene is a terrible way to die, I'd rather just bleed out if I had to choose between the two. Also, only having one arm would have severely limited your employment options back then though, especially out west.
>>
>>688909
I dont know any firewatches but if you are interested in wildland firefighting or wildfire in general i reccomend taking the fully online/online components to the wildfire training programs. They can be found in NWCG gov website (national wildfire coordinating group). You need to create a FEMA id and login with that. Nwcg offers many online training courses that are the same ones required for to be a wildland firefighter. Would be good to know all about logistics, ICS, wildfire behavior and supression while considering a postion as a firewatch and if you could handle the solitude.
>>
>>689276
i'd probably just drink myself to death desu
>>
>>689322
That was a pretty common way to die.
>>
>>689106
Sometimes I think it would have been cool to be a blacksmith, but then I think about how much it would suck to do that without things like gas forges or autohammers.
>>
>>689367
What did they do for hearing protection back then? I'm betting that after as little as 6 months of hammering steel all day long with no earpro you'd be functionally deaf, that shit is LOUD.
>>
>>689376
They didn't, "workplace safety" wasn't really a thing until the early 20th century.
>>
>>689376
Maybe they plugged their ears with wax Odysseus style
>>
Several years ago I got into a abandoned fire lookout up in the Sierras. Spent the night in it just chilling.
>>
>>689391
There's a lot of old fire lookouts you can camp in up in the Cascades.
>>
>>689416
Do you know of any specific ones? I went to one just off highway 2 and it was pretty underwhelming and crowded. Looking for some a lot more remote and able to stay the night in.
>>
>>689454
http://www.stephabegg.com/home/projects/firelookouts
>>
>>688909
I definitely googled firewatch jobs after playing that game. To bad i dont have a free summer to make $13/hour
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.