[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys. A few friends wanna take me out for a squirrel hunting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: 20151113_065203.jpg (5 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20151113_065203.jpg
5 MB, 4160x3120
Hey guys. A few friends wanna take me out for a squirrel hunting trip, to a national park. Are there any laws or restrictions to hunting these animals?
Also, anything specific that we should use to kill, like bb guns, pellet rifles, slingshots, and etc.
(was killed by my house cat)
>>
>>685828
You gonna end up getting arrested.

Just make sure you have fun!
>>
Hunting in a national park...

I'm not American and even i know that's a bad idea.

Also, i hope your eating what you kill. I hate fuckers who kill for fun.
>>
>>685836
No, we are killing to eat. No part will be waste.

Really?
>>
>>685828
>(was killed by my house cat)
You have a cougar?
>>
>>685833
I don't wanna break the law. I'm just curios about squirrel hunting, if I won't get arrested than I would huntil to eat.
>>
>>685840
Nope just a regular cat man, kills all the pests.
>>
>>685841

I'm Canadian, but I'd assume similar laws apply.

Hunting in areas where people frequent (national park, provincial park) is a no. There may be an odd exception.

Also, to hunt here you need a small game license. We also have our areas broken up into WMU (Wildlife management units) which determine when certain animals can be hunted in that area.

Check online with the conservation authority, and if you find no answers, call a 1-800 number. CO's can and will make your life hell. There's a reason for their rules.
>>
>>685844
I just ask. My Maine coon has problems hunting pinky mouse.
>>
>>685845
Thanks for the info man.

I can agree with what you said, and once again thanks. I would get a small game license if needed. I live in Florida btw.
>>
>>685846
Cool.
Maine coons are fucking beautiful. My cat is grey with black, looks like a tiger.
>>
Don't you have pests or invasive species you can kill?
>>
>>685876
Well I'm not gonna eat a rat.
>>
>>685846
My Maine Coon mixed stray is a professional killer.
>>
>>685878
Why not?

Squirrels are just rats with great jumping abilities.

Please don't go hunting in a national park. There are probably identified hunting grounds nearby.
>>
I hunt squirrels quite often.

You generally can't hunt in state or national parks.

Some state parks have areas open to hunting.

Squirrels have a hunting season. My state has a few times a year that is open for squirrels. My state also has plenty of large areas set aside for nothing but hunting called state game lands. I'm in Pennsylvania.

What state are you in OP?
>>
Your friends are total morons. Of all the places to choose to hunt, they go with the one that is most illegal, with the highest number of rangers.

You'd get arrested immediately.
>>
>>685896
I live in the shiny state of Florida. We have no other place to hunt I guess, since we don't want to go to the everglades or something.
>>
>>685906
I sorta agree man. I know that it sounds crazy.
>>
>>685878
I mean, i wouldn't eat a city squirrel, but one that's lived its life in the woods, why not?

It likely ate very healthy and clean, so it's fine.
>>
>>685846
They need to have learned to associate killing with food. I have had 2 strays and 2 domestics.The strays kill any pests they found, the domestics had no clue and neglected to finish the job.
>>
>>685828
American here.

Generally National and State Parks are a no go for taking of game. National Forrest, National Wildlife refuges, and BLM land offer opportunities though. I don't have any BLM experience as I'm not out west. National Forrest hunting guidelines, at least in my experience, are just the same for the rest of the state. You sound like a newbie as you didn't ask the correct questions so I'm gonna tell you to go learn your state laws. After you learn them you are gonna need hunters education and a license. It's a bit overwhelming at first learning all the rules, but in the end it's worth it. Hunting large open areas of public land are the closest you are ever gonna get to what it was like before we fucked this country of ours up. Email a state wildlife officer if you have questions. They are there for hunters and everyone I've dealt with has been pretty professional. Just for fucks sake write a proper email not some Internet slang shit.

Really wish you mods would sticky this shit. I know I've typed a similar response at least 20 times since this board was created.
>>
>>685910
Myfwc.com is your friend. You need to look at the hunting guidebook. Looks like you have lands maintained by the FWC called WMAS (wildlife management areas). No experience in Florida but from what I know about other states WMAS they should offer great hunting oppprtunities. WMAS tend to be the strictest as far as regulations go. For example.in Arkansas even possession of a saw on a WMA is a fine and you can't camp unless at dedicated camp sites. I just prefer National Forrest for hiking and hunting. You can have concealed handguns (assuming you live in a free state), you can camp almost anywhere, and building of campfires is OK as long as there isn't a burn ban.
>>
>>685936
Yea man, I really wanna eat some. I don't kill for no reason.
>>
>>686176
Not the same anon. I was going to call you a sick fuck for wanting to kill these funny animals, but if you're really going to eat them I guess there's nothing wrong with killing them.

Please don't hunt them with a slingshot, that's animal cruelity.
>>
>>686200
Yea man. I disagree with the killing of animals for no reason. I really do just wanna eat them, I'm not wasting anything even the skin will be used to make something.
>>
Here's the link to the small game page

>http://m.myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/small-game/
>>
>>686223
Thanks bud.
>>
>>686200
>>686220
What about killing for fur and bones? I trap animals for this reason and have no desire to eat most of then. I'm talking about coons, coyotes, foxes, and beaver. If that's not OK with you, does it make a difference if the animal was harming property of endangering livestock? If you disagree why is it ok to kill a deer for food but disreguard the hide as waste? I think this whole idea of "only kill what you eat" is bullshit. It should be changed to "only kill if that animals remains serves a purpose"
>>
>>686296
>>686296
>It should be changed to "only kill if that animals remains serves a purpose"
That's right, but if that purpose is something like fucking those remains it's not true.

I have a problem with killing animals higher on the food chain. Hunters usually are smarter than the prey. The wolves and foxes have feelings just like we do

Animals that do not benefit for having a capability to plan and think probalby don't plan and think. Killing a rabbit is not the same thing as killing a coyotee.

I'm not a hippie.
>>
>>686312
Whoa someone actually answered my question without getting all crazy.

>foxes and coyotes have feeling just like us
I wouldn't go that far. They can know fear, excitement, and maybe few other emotions but nowhere near the spectrum as a human. Wild Animas also don't understand the concept of greed,only taking what you need, sympathy, and compassion. Go watch a video of a coyote that catches a rabbit. They almost enjoy the sound that rabbit makes. I've seen trees cut by beavers that were wasted. I've seen them continue to flood areas and cut trees when they have plenty of food stockpiled and plenty of habitat considering the lodge size.
>>
>>686296
That meat, while not up to par with what humans will eat, can still be donated to wild life rehabs. Especially places that have to take care of exotics like tigers and wolves/wolf-dogs. They often go bankrupt trying to feed their animals. If you do decide to donate, just try to make sure they aren't breeding/selling or a hoarder
>>
>>686325
>I'm not saying you shouldn't kill coyotees. I'm saying you shouldn't kill them and think they're just dumb animals and what you do means nothing. Pack animals certainly do understand concepts like sympathy and compassion. The reason we humans have those feelings is the fact we once were pack animals. That's why humans sometimes act unselfishly even though their intelligence tells to do the other thing.
>>
>>686296
You are right sir.
>>
File: NCM_0176.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
NCM_0176.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Don't hunt in a National Park. Thats retarded and you'll almost defiantly end up in jail unless they have specifically opened up a season for it. There is probably some public hunting grounds within 30 minutes of wherever you're wanting to go. Be sure to look up on your state's small games regulations.
>>
>>685828
>>685846
>>685851
>>685890

Keep your shit cat inside.
>>
File: latest.jpg (654 KB, 1923x1828) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
654 KB, 1923x1828
>>687367
very good have a cookie
>captcha: Select all images with cookies.
>>
>>687367
This.
>>
>>685845
you need to get a general hunting license, most states have those and they cover most ground rodents/squirrels, common birds, and small game. Sometimes cover trapping as well. National Parks DO have hunting licenses, but they vary greatly via season, cost, region, etc. IE parks that are heavily traffic'd to death do not allow any hunting by the general public, while smaller/larger more remote locations NEED people to help control animal populations. Think rich and famous for Yellowstone national park, or a land owner.
>>
File: cat breed identification.jpg (72 KB, 1236x768) Image search: [Google]
cat breed identification.jpg
72 KB, 1236x768
>>685846
no one lets breed cats outdoors.
>>685890
mix cats don't exist, only registered cross-breeds.

if a breed cat gets pounded by a mutt, the kittens are mutts.

if you don't have paperwork for your cat, it's a mutt regardless of what it looks like.
>>
>>685896
How would I go about finding a place to hunt deer? I am also in Pennsylvania. I can shoot a rifle very well, but have never been hunting. Nobody in my family was a hunter so I didn't really have anyone to learn from.
>>
>>685910
Florida fag here.

You can hunt in Ocala.. What part of florida you talking about.. I know some areas that are questionable but you wont be bothered either...
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-16-19-01-18.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-16-19-01-18.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>685846
My maine coon would take down a cow
>>
>>686200
Hunting with a slingshot is not animal cruelty you dumb piece of shit. Get your head out of that loose ass of yours, faggot.
>>
>>687618
>How would I go about finding a place to hunt deer?
>Pennsylvania

Literally anywhere there is trees should be good
>>
>>685828
You'd be better with a pellet rifle in your back yard. There are seasons and bag limits to squirrels just like any other game.
>>
>>685828
>National Park

Are you sure its a "park?"

National parks are a no go, national FOREST on the other hand are perfectly fine to hunt in. At least in my state, and since national forests are federal I'd assume its okay in yours as well.

Which brings us to the main problem of your post, you're seeking this info on an image board for Japanese cartoons. Check your local laws and regulations, find out when the seasons start, and get the proper permits. Thats the only way you're going to find the information you seek.
>>
why are floridians so idiotic?

in florida feral pigs are an invasive species and can be hunted year round without a bag limit and without a license. they yield plenty of tasty meat and can be hunted with a variety of calibers. i've used .223 and .243.

you need only to find land to hunt on. good luck. keep your cat inside. leave the squirrels alone. get some new friends.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.