[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have managed to get a case of poison ivy and wondering what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 460x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 460x300
I have managed to get a case of poison ivy and wondering what you people do to treat this awful stuff.

Learned a valuable lesson, do not split firewood that you did not harvest yourself.
>>
>>683226
you can make a tea from the leaves to build immunity to it, be careful not to get any on your hands because thats how its spreads to the pecker
>>
>>683237
FFS!!! No i wont be trying that. This aint /b/
>>
File: liquorsnurf.jpg (144 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
liquorsnurf.jpg
144 KB, 1920x1080
>>683241
>>
Dishwasher detergent to remove any residual oils. Calamine lotion for the itch. Also benadryl cream and benadryl oral pills if it is really bad.
>>
File: agony.jpg (130 KB, 800x617) Image search: [Google]
agony.jpg
130 KB, 800x617
>>683226
>a valuable lesson
another lesson you may not want to learn the hard way is don't expose anyone to the smoke of said wood
>>
>>683237
just a couple leaves per cup youll be fine
>>
>>683305
this. inhaling urushiol smoke can be deadly. and if you do get a fatal lungful, it won't be a pleasant death. it'll be long and horrible.
>>
File: 2015-11-29_13-39-49.jpg (817 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-29_13-39-49.jpg
817 KB, 1200x798
That's not a Hedera helix though
Are you from some place where it's not native but an invasive species? Here in Yurop it's the most common groundcover in forests and shrublands, also used as fence climbing ornamental a lot, yet I never heard of anyone actually poisoning himself with it
>>
>>683319
Well ignore that, just found out you also refer to other stuff as "poison ivy"
>>
Handy tips for if you knowingly get Urishol on your skin.
If you can rinse it with cold water within about 30 minutes of contact, you should be fine. Never use warm water for it opens your pores.
If you can rinse with cold water and any soap within 90 minutes, you should be fine.
After that matter, don't touch the infection ever, except when washing it. Take cold showers, use dish soap to wash your body (also handy for acne. It is very good at breaking down oils and such) and apply calamine lotion.
There are special soaps you can buy that specifically destroy Urishol on your skin. I keep a bar of it handy just in case.
>>
>>683241
Well i will have to do some research and possibly try this tea you recommend.
>>
>>683305
Oh yeah. Well aware of that.

Its a shame too. This was pecan wood for smoking brisket. I wont be using it now
>>
>>683512
ffs, don't. here's why:
http://www.backpacker.com/gear/experts/ask-buck/eat-poison-ivy-build-immunity/
>>
>>683529 again,
If you have poison ivy on you, jewelweed (touch-me-not) will help. Crush up the stalks and rub them on the affected area. Also works against stinging nettles.
>>
>>683530
Right now the woods are still dormant. I will check into jewel weed and see if i can locate some in the spring.

I typically never have issues with poison ivy but was not aware the logs i split were contaminated with the dried vines.
>>
>>683529
Thanks bro. Saved me a search.

I didnt think the idea sounded very safe. Kinda made me think about those lsnake handling poison drinking appalachian churches i have heard about
>>
>>683319
It is native where i live bro, we have all three of them as well. Ivy oak and sumac. East Texas is covered up with it and my woods it isprolific.
>>
So I'm 32 and have spent most of my life outdoors. I've never been affected by poison ivy. So my question is am I immune or just lucky. I live in central ontario so it's common.
>>
>>683577
Some people are immune. Carry some gloves with you next time you're out and if you see some poison ivy then pick off a leaf and rub it on a SMALL area on the inside of your forearm to test it out.
>>
>>683579
Also, if you do this, make sure you don't get it into a cut/scrape, only rub it onto a section of UNBROKEN skin the size of a small coin.
>>
>>683226
Use hot water on it for 1 minute to relieve the itching for about 2 hours or more. Don't use water so hot that it burns you, but it must be very hot.
>>
>>683237
>>683311
>>683512
>>683529
This can kill you actually.
>>
>>683577
I was immune for most of my life and then boom! No more
>>
Who /immune/ here?
>>
>>685306
I am. But i made myself by chewing the leaves.
>>
>>685326
shut the fuck up please
>>
>>685353
It's not alright to live the life of a cowered anon. Constantly pissing your pants in fear every time somebody suggests something outside of your comfort zone
>>
>>685357
my comfort zone doesn't encompass the retard zone like yours
>>
EUfag here, how common acualy poison ivy is in the US? Shit looks scary as fuck, since it looks super generic, like it doesent stand out as a plant at all, doesent have any interesting easy to spot features etc.
>>
>>686348
It's not like we don't have some innocent looking, yet nasty shit here too
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropa_belladonna
>>
>>686348
>how common acualy poison ivy is in the US?

Depends on the area. Here in East TX it's all over the place in mixed hardwood forest areas. It can cover the ground as short, sparse weedy plants or it can grow in vine and climb trees. It doesn't do well in direct sunlight but it's all over in shady areas. I can walk out my back door right now and I'd be able to find some in under a minute in my backyard. I try to avoid the stuff as much as possible but still end up getting rashes occasionally from coming into contact with the oils on my dog or shoes or something. You don't ever notice that you've gotten any on you until you start breaking out and it's a little late by then.

Not my pic but this is pretty much what our woods look like in some spots. That's almost all poison ivy.
>>
File: poisonivy8.jpg (164 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
poisonivy8.jpg
164 KB, 700x525
>>686374
forgot pic
>>
>>686361
but that doesent fuck you up when you touch it
>>
>>686375
man fuck that, i like wandering through forest without any shit blocking my path!

does it fuck up dogs and other animals too?
>>
>>686543
Dogs and cats can get it, but it requires contact with the skin. Cats are completely covered with hair, and dogs only have bare skin/sparse fur on their belly and under their back legs.

Generally it's rare for a dog or cat to have bad problems from it.
>>
>>686543
And yes, in the Southeast US poison ivy is absolutely everywhere. I have some friends who are highly allergic (like go to the hospital) and they can't really go out in the woods.

Myself, I am completely immune to poison ivy, which is funny because I'm allergic to a bunch of other shit.
>>
>>686539
Yeah, but some fools easily confuse it with perfectly edible fruits of plants such as black nightshade (Solanum nigrum), going so far that the latter is officially banned to use in food or cosmetic products here (Germoni), while with some minimum knowledge you can easily tell them apart
>>
>>686554
if you mistaken that for blueberries, then you deserve to die
>>
>>686710
Nah, I'm talking about this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_nigrum
which apparently there have been cases of confusion, doesn't help some languages including English call them similar ("black nightshade" vs "deadly nightshade")
But yeah the fruits, leaves... only look very superficially/vaguely similar
Still it lead to S. nigrum wrongfully getting labelled toxic, while the ripe fruit of that one definitely isn't (leaves and unripe berries do have somewhat toxic levels of solanine, but so do tomatoes) because idiots keep confusing them. Her a good read about the issue
http://foragersharvest.com/black-nightshade-2/
>>
>>686348
Also:
>Shit looks scary as fuck, since it looks super generic, like it doesent stand out as a plant at all, doesent have any interesting easy to spot features etc.

It's easy to spot and tell apart by the leaves. There's not much else that grows in the same areas that poison ivy does and has a similar leaf shape/structure. The only thing around here would be Virginia Creeper. It has very similar looking leaves, grows in the same shady type areas as poison ivy, and grows in vines on trees so some people confuse the two but Virginia Creeper has leaves in groups of 5 whereas poison ivy has leaves in groups of 3.

Once you've been around it for a while you'll be able to easily tell poison ivy apart from any other plants and you learn to always be on the lookout for it. A lot of times you'll have to trek through patches of it but just be careful to not lean up against a tree that's covered with it, don't grab ANY hairy looking vines that are growing on a tree, and don't sit down in the middle of a patch of it. Try not to touch your shoes or pants legs much because they'll likely have a little bit of the oils on them. You can't tell that the oil is on anything because it's such a small amount, and you'll usually start breaking out in the rash days after exposure so you won't know that you've got it until it's way too late. It's just something that you learn to deal with eventually.

Like >>686551
said, I too have friends that are so sensitive to it that if they notice any sort of rash developing then they just go to the doctor and get a shot instead of waiting it out and seeing how bad it'll get. It takes me around 4 days after exposure to start showing any signs of the rash, and the rash will get progressively worse over the next 3-4 days, and then will take around 2 weeks to fully clear up after it has peaked. I only go get a shot if it's REALLY bad or if I end up with it all over my face or something.
>>
File: poisonivyvacreeper.jpg (18 KB, 300x222) Image search: [Google]
poisonivyvacreeper.jpg
18 KB, 300x222
>>686944
pic related, Virginia Creeper vs Poison Ivy leaves.
>>
File: 1455218077090.jpg (222 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1455218077090.jpg
222 KB, 700x525
>>686944
>>686945
>>686375
>>
Taking Rhus Tox works wonders for me
>>
>>683226
Bleach my nigga
>>
>>686944
cant it look like some impatiens species for example when its and on the ground small? maybe there no species that look like ivy in america, dunno which ones you have
>>
>>687333
Well, in my area Virginia Creeper is the only other plant that looks REALLY similar to poison ivy. The leaves are the same color, same texture, same shape, and the two plants thrive in the same locations. Nothing else is very close that I know of, maybe some species of non-native ornamental ivy but you don't normally find those plants out in the woods.
>>
File: know_your_vines.png (77 KB, 422x468) Image search: [Google]
know_your_vines.png
77 KB, 422x468
Obligatory
>>
>>687351
kek, haven't seen that one before
>>
>>687243
Will give it a shot next time around.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.