[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wut Do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Campo.jpg (666 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Campo.jpg
666 KB, 1200x900
So...like how do I camp, do I just go out in the middle of a state park and set up a tent? Please help, iv'e wanted to go camping ever since I was a young boy, and the times I did camp it was with boy scouts.
>>
>>679679
Do you have an REI in your area? Sign up for a weekend class. You'll meet like minded people. Before you know it your inna wodds.
>>
>>679679
>do I just go out in the middle of a state park and set up a tent?
Not at all! There is a very serious procedure one must take in order to not get in trouble. They have park rangers, drones, and thermal heat vision cameras on every tree, looking for campers that don't have their license. You'll need to sign up at the DC (Department of Camping) for your written test. Study guides are available online. Then you make an appointment for an instructor to take inna woods to test you overnight as you set up a tent and all. If you make one wrong move you have to take the written test again, which sucks because you have to pay this $75 fee each time. My best advice for you is to study, study, study and stick to the book when it comes to your over night test. Don't make the same mistakes I did, camping without a license could get someone seriously hurt or worse. Don't put your friends and loved ones in the way for a little bit of weekend fun.

P.S. Some regions have learners "permits" you can buy, but they are only good for 48 hours and you must have a licensed camper with you at all times. Camping without a permit/license (CWL) will land your ass in jail. Don't do it, they will find you. They do not forgive, they do not forget.
>>
>>679707
>all info is true anon. trust me
>>
File: BasedGramps.jpg (169 KB, 945x600) Image search: [Google]
BasedGramps.jpg
169 KB, 945x600
>>679679
Step 1- walk out innawoods
Step 2- keep on walking
Step 3- about 2 or 3 hours before sundown set up your tent
Step 3.5- depending on how much day light is left, do something that you don't usually get to do when you are surrounded by technology and people, ie- read, go fishing, climb something, identify plants/fungi, idk- find a stick and sharpen it, make something out of sticks, dig a fucking hole, look for birds and shit, pretend you're the last man on earth, tame a wild animal, kill a wild animal, eat a wild animal, become a wild animal, or whatever tickles your fancy, OP
Step 4- make a fire by your tent, eat something, - if you're in bear country some would say eat away from your camp and throw your food and anything else with a smell over a tree branch in a bag like a pair of ghetto sneakers and tie it off so you can get it later
Step 5- go back to your camp site
Step 6- get spooked out until dark
Step 7- wait till fire goes out or put it out
Step 8- sit in tent with heart pounding fear of every little sound you hear
Step 9- fall asleep, wake up at crack of dawn after little sleep, probably really cold and usually damp from dew
Step 10- start to remember again what it is to be human
Step 11- rinse and repeat until step 10 kicks in or go home as a failure
Step 12- congratulations, you just had fun
>>
>>679763
>Step 10- start to remember again what it is to be human
This guy gets it. The best part of camping is waking up frozen solid, starting a fire and warming yourself up by it. It's a hard feeling to describe, but I'd say it's like you're suddenly human again after a long night of silent caveman tendencies.
>>
>>679775

So much this. There's nothing like the way you sleep after a hard 8 hours of hiking out in the wilderness. Waking up to beautiful views with the sun. You learn to appreciate your food out there in a new way very quickly.

I've only been on a few multi week hikes along the appalachian trail and long trail, fun times.
>>
>>679777
>>679775
>>679763
Don't listen to these guys OP. GET YOUR LICENSE FIRST!
>>
File: mtncalling.jpg (77 KB, 570x317) Image search: [Google]
mtncalling.jpg
77 KB, 570x317
>>679775
>>679777
thanks. writing that made me want to do some outdoorsy reading... i can't get /out/ until spring break.... i envy the squirrels around campus
>>
>>679679

Just read up on what the regs are for where you plan on camping. You've got the internet FFS.
>>
File: DSC00013.jpg (178 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSC00013.jpg
178 KB, 800x600
>>679679
Pair it with something else.

I ride snowmobiles and dirt bikes. My camping happens after a day of riding, then I pack up and ride some more.

Like taking pictures? Bring your camera gear along.

Into space? Pack a telescope/tripod.

Toss a rope/harness into your truck and climb all day, then set up camp in the evening and relax.

Internet distracting you from projects you need to do? Pack a generator/inverter and find a place with no service to get some work done.
I did a lot of college work sitting in the bed of my truck somewhere in the Wyoming plains.... no phone, no roommate, no internet. Just some mild offroading and get-shit-done time.

>be me in college, about an hour out of town on some dirt roads, BLM land
>park the truck, click on overhead light and scoot over into passenger seat
>start homeworking without an asshole roommate annoying me
>finally get shit done
>open truck door to stretch legs
>foot of snow that wasn't there when I parked
>fuck.jpg
>hope I make it back to pavement
that might have been the evening I did a 360° in my truck on I-80.
>>
>>679794
only non troll post in this thread.
>>
But where do you go to do these things?? Isn't it illegal to camp wherever you are allowed to hunt?
Won't you get in trouble?
>>
>>679825
>Isn't it illegal to camp wherever you are allowed to hunt?
Why would that be a thing?
>>
>>679825
You just have to figure out what the regulations are for the area that you're considering camping in. All national forests in the US have some sort of Forest Service office with contact information where you can call, talk to a Ranger or whoever, and they'll be happy to tell you what you can and cannot do and give you locations for camping. There are also websites for pretty much every national forest, state park, and national park that will have the information you need on it 99% of the time.
>>
>>679790
With all the squirrels I see at college campuses, I've always wondered why so many students live off ramen.
>>
>live in a city
>don't have transportation so will have be dropped off
>don't have any friends

Where can I camp in NC? I'd also like to practice bushcraft like I used to do when I lived in a rural area, but where would it be legal to do something like that? Preferably near-ish to Charlotte. I just want to go into the woods for a few days and just be by myself.
>>
>>679679
I have that tent, that's unsettling.
>>
>>680133
hahahha maybe I should set up some deadfall traps and collect my loot at night
>>
>>679707
>inna woods
confirmed as truth
>>
>>680241
Squirrel poles, man. That's where it's at. If anyone asks, you're doing a study on the stomach contents of domesticated rodents.
>>
>>680259
>Squirrel poles

not him, but unfortunately squirrels are considered "game animals" here in TX so it's illegal to take them with traps. You can only take "fur bearing" and "non game" animals with traps here.
>>
>>680186
man charlotte nc .. had to ride in a coach for 14 hours for a rugby tournament was there. worst hangover i ever had, for the 14 hour journey back to nyc. felt like i was going to die. hot chocolate and bagels put me back into a human state
>>
I live in oregon, can I just go follow an old forest service or logging road up into the woods, park and start walking?
>>
>>680186
Man I've only been to NC a few times but isn't the whole west side of it mountainous and rural? Should be plenty of land to camp on
>>
>>680575
I live in PA and that's what I do. As long as you're not on somebody's posted land you should be fine. Logging companies buy up/ lease swathes of land and then leave it when they're done. One of my favorite spots is up a random logging trail off of a highway that switchbacks up the entire mountain. Up at the top it's clear cut and there's these big hills of scrap wood like roots and shit that they left behind. Very neat place to camp out and stargaze
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.