[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What about these knives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
thinking about getting one
>>
>>678381
There is better quality for less money in less screaming colors.
>>
Exactly. THis is shit
>>
I have had one for a while. They are pretty good. A lot of people talk about how terrible they are. But most of them have never used it.
>>
>>678381
too expensive for what they are. comfy grips though. avoid the ones with the serrated blade
>>
>>678381
I was lookin at those too. And the paracord ones. They don't look terrible for the money. But that goddamn BG logo. I'm the same way with fishing stuff, I don't like buying certain brands just because of the brand. Not that I have had bad experiences with it. And I think that's about the same place other people are coming from when it comes to these knives.

It's can't be that bad. If it didn't have that BG logo on it, I bet it would be one of the more reccommended fixed blades in that price range.
>>
>>678384
> screaming colors
so much easier to find when dropped
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>678427
That's why I bought that bright orange Kershaw. A lot of times when I'm fishing in the grass, I will unhook a fish with my Leatherman and leave it laying somewhere. Happened to me a few weeks ago and I didn't notice until like half an hour later. Had to go searching for it. Not tryin to do that with any more knives.

My other bigger knife has a black handle but I put an orange paracord knot deal on the end of it.
>>
My boss has the exact knife he really likes it.
>>
>>678437
This guy knows which side to butter his bread...

The knives are orange for a frickin' reason - so you can spot them easily.
>>
>>678440
Only because I'm not trying to lose $50+ knives once a month.

That littke SPEW I carry around on my belt, I'm worried about losing that one day. It seems to clip into the sheath pretty well, but I use it a lot for fishing. At least it's not a real expensive knife but I'm still not trying to drop it in the grass and have it disappear.
>>
>>678381
Buy 2
>>
Great knife, one of the best out there. A bit expensive though
>>
I bought one. I have this to say if you're considering it.
https://youtu.be/umDr0mPuyQc
>>
>>678381
Just get a generic bushcraft knife off eBay. Mtech makes full tang 440C knives for less than $10.
>>
All Gerber products a shit
>>
>All these posts
>No one correcting OP for making yet another knife thread instead posting in the general.

Fuckin' hell, /oot/.
>>
>>678384
the color scheme is the best feature desu
it's a well thought out system but i wouldn't buy it for the price because the most important thing is lacking the steel it's made of.

i would buy it for a lot less ($30 or so) tho.
>>
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 640x1136
>>678381
I'll post this here as well for OP
>>
>>678622
blade looks nice
i strongly dislike the handle shape to be honest
>>
We sell them where I work
It is probably one of the best Gerbers you can get- though it is still not top quality.
You can still make do with it though, it is a pretty sturdy knife, the handle is very comfortable and functional.
It is not full tang, so that is a weakness, but not a big deal.
I personally won't buy Bear Grylls Gerber shit since I do not want to support the company. Bear Grylls has staged a lot of what he does and has become more of a celebrity than an authentic wilderness surviver.
You could do better for the money. Look into moraknives. My favourite.
>>
>>678622
knife isn't comparable. If you are going to post an alternative, please spec it correctly. Kershaw Bear Hunter II would have been a better match.
>>
>>678626
Everybody says that about any knives with real pronounced finger grooves. These are the people who have never owned a knife like that. Anybody who has owned a knife with a similar handle either says it is a non-issue or they actually prefer them. I haven't had an issue with it at all.

Either way, it's not a bad knife for <$20 with shipping included. Especially when you look at other knives in that price range.
>>
>>678622
They are beautiful and simple looking. Why so cheap? Where are you looking?
>>
>>678635
true i never had one. the problem is they are supposedly only comfortable from one angle of grip.
greatly limiting the whittling capabilities
i have heard complaints from serious bushcrafters in reviews about similar knives and this particular problem.
so it's definitely not JUST people who never had them.
>>
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 640x1136
>>678634
Still pretty cheap, not nearly as many offerings. I guess the Antelope Hunter is closer in size to the other BG Gerber knives like that paracord one or the one that doesn't come with the fire starter and all that.
>>
>>678636
Ebay. It's a discontinued model so everybody is selling them for cheap.

>>678641
I guess. I bought it to toss in the tackle bag to cut up fish with, so nothing that takes crazy amounts of precision besides slicing and the occaisional stabbing.
>>
>>678634
you dun goofed both have gimping making them pretty sucky for survival knife.

4-5", full tang (only so that you can replace the handle and not have hidden weaknesses), 90 deg sharp spine (for ferro rods and shaving wood), easily maintainable edge, preferably uncoated (cause the coating will only find it's way into your food sooner or later), and some also add carbon steel cause muh flints and sparks.
>>
>>678652
what i mean if you take away a feature at least add an other more important one. or it's not comparable.
>>
>>678381
post in knives thread you pleb
>>
I have this knife, and i bought it for one reason. It has lifetime warranty.

>buddy tries cutting boar tusk with one and chips the point
i return it and get a new one
>gets a little tiny bit of surface rust on blade
i return it and get a new one
not sure how many other knife brands have this, but none that i know of that are sold near me.
>>
>>679261
Esee and becker to name 2. Both make better blades in the BG blade range.
>>
>>678458
>Great knife, one of the best out there.
>sensible chuckle
>>
>>679261
wtf no way any knife maker replaces a knife cause it got rust.
that's obviously result of mishandling and not a warranty issue.
unless they advertised it as incapable of rusting which nobody does even stainless can have rust spots.
>>
>>678437

I actually just paint the blades orange with surveying paint if my knives aren't going to be used for cooking.
>>
>>678411
i have serrated blade, all this man says is true.

>serrated will kinda work better for cutting large chunks.

also you WILL loose your firesteel. the best way to prevent this is to attacth the flute to the firesteel and put the flute between the sheath and sheath holder

i do speak english, just too tired to correct it.
>>
>>679284
they are advertised as being stainless steel. therefor rust is a manufacturers defect.
Thats literally all i say to the retailer and they replaced it.
>>
>>679572
so you found one retarded retailer and taken him for a ride... good for you.
>>
This is a really plebby question but i need a smallish flip lock back knife , i need it to be able to cut decently into wood as well , i don't want just a carving knife though. Any recommendations?
>>
>>683160
i retract something it doesn't need to be a flip knife , mainly just needs to be a multi purpose small knife that can cut wood to a decent standard
>>
>>678381
Not bad, not great. My local "hiking" supply store ( which really caters to just preppers ) sells these for about $25 when they have them in stock. If you can find one for a low price they are a good buy but if you'll be paying without a discount or the like you'd be better off buying a higher quality knife from Buck or another reputable company and actually getting your money's worth.
>>
>>683167
you will not get these for $25
maybe the other model with the crappy steel
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.