[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am tired of autistic charts full of stupidities, so I will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11
File: A short guide to get out part 1.png (2 MB, 1350x4061) Image search: [Google]
A short guide to get out part 1.png
2 MB, 1350x4061
I am tired of autistic charts full of stupidities, so I will make my own autistic charts will less stupid things.

This is the first version of the first one. Don't save it because I need your backup to improve it first, or if you save it please don't repost it. They would take a place that is made for the final, correct version.

English is not my first language, so feel free to become a grammar nazi.
>>
>>673745
If possible add some diagrams on how to make field cooking fire places.

Great work OP, keep it up!
>>
Overall, not bad. I would add a bit about GORP/trail mixes to the food section.
>>
File: 2c04e751a8b24448.jpg (49 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
2c04e751a8b24448.jpg
49 KB, 800x600
minor errors i found
add a '-' to
>and propane under 40°C
also i would add °F an oz in brackets (although i use superior metric units)

also i would add a tldr after part1 like
>Part one: Food and Stoves
>>
>>674265 here
also add version number
>>
File: American measure.png (35 KB, 673x983) Image search: [Google]
American measure.png
35 KB, 673x983
>>674236
The point is to detoxify /k/ommandos and armchair survivalists from what they have been told, so I don't want to spend too much space on fire places. There is a Swedish torch, and I think it is the best kind of fireplace. How to make it it obvious.

>>674251
Why would you mix chocolate with nuts and dry fruits?

>>674265
I hate American units because I have to work with metric and imperial tools, but I will add that.

>>674266
Mkay. It could gain in clarity.
>>
For food, I would say be less focused on "gathering" and more on packing. Yes, SHTFers want to pretend they will practice self-reliance, but for beginners, dabbling in foraging/hunting is dangerous and takes away from building more fundamental skills.
In short, I would personally replace the food-producing section with an emphasis on the dangers/importance of proper education, and add in more about cheap sources of prepped food - like reminding the reader about those instant rice packs that work so well innawoods.

Good effort, and I look forward to seeing the other sections.
>>
>>674277
Most of the hunting/gathering part is a caution. I will add the dangerousness of the thing.
I rewrited it and now it just take more space.
I will have to make the packing food section even larger. I added wheat, semolina, bulgur. Any ideas?

----
If you don't want to bring your own food, you are an ultralighter and I hate you.
Anyway, keep in mind that you will have to jump meals, but you can still:

Gather plants, as lot of them are edible, but only few have a nutritive value for humans. Learn what plants are good for you and eat only plants whose you know the name of.
A lot of roots, stem, sap, leaves or bay will give you inflammations or make you puke and some can kill you. The only way to know the local edibles is to buy a book of your region and to learn it. You should carry it until you can tell apart all the edibles. If you know the wood, plants become a more reliable source of energy than meat and burn less calories to gather.
Some plant have medicinal virtues, others make potent poisons. Double check everything before you eat it, especially mushrooms.

Hunt for meat. This is a COMPLEMENTARY calories source. It come in ADDITION of something else. Don't even think that you can go in the wood without food and hunt/trap/fish your meals. Even if you manage to get enough, it will fuck your body faster than eating only cereals. By far, the most dangerous thing you can do in the wood is to walk with a loaded gun, or with stupid friends with guns. Whatever you plan to do, check the local hunting laws because the happening haven't happened yet.

More likely, you will cry at other people that you failed at trapping a rabbit and will ask them to share the food they carried. This is why no one like ultralighters.
>>
are there more parts in the planning?
>>
>>674353
Next one will be water and sleep, then I suppose it will be a general backpacking/first aid kit, foot care, animal behaviour and other little things.
>>
>>674359
>foot care

Please include a paragraph on boot selection. I see so many people /out/ wearing sneakers, and they're always the ones who wreck their ankles.
>>
>>674273
>>Why would you mix chocolate with nuts a dry fruit?

Because it's delicious.

It's also a tasty way to pack a lot of calories, sugar content, and fats into a snack. It helps provide energy.

Did I mention it's delicious?
>>
>>674265
Do you know where can I get Einmannpackung online in the US?
>>
>>673745
I don't think you need the aggressive insults, even if you think it's funny or light hearted, it detracts from the nature of the image.

I'd go for a more styling outdoors font and put a subtle background image on.
>>
>>674273
>why mix chocolate with nuts and dry fruits?
I don't and chocolate isn't a critical part of trail mix. It's common though because it's an easy way to add calories and most people enjoy it. Either way, I think you should add it to the food section because it's ubiquitous.
>>
>>674413
don't know

>>674429
i think the font is good
>>
>>674429
I will try to make the insult subtle. Any suggestions for the front? Arial fit any situation.

For now, it make:

Dehydrated food have the best weight/nutritive values ratio but need to be cooked.
Rice, pasta, wheat, semolina, bulgur, Chinese noddles, soup, powered milk or chocolate... It's everywhere, it's cheap and it will make you stay in the wood for more than 72h.
It have to be mixed with other kind of dry food such as dried/salted meat, dried fruits, nuts, GORP... There is real dehydrated meals at your outdoor shop but they are expensive. You can also dehydrate your own meals, ask goggle.
Regular camping food is made of canned food with little is any liquid in the can, fruits and vegetables that can be just eaten, bread, cheese, any kind of dry, various biscuits and all kind of junk food made of sugar that you are not supposed to eat.

MRE are far more heavier but you can just stop, eat them and get back to whatever you were doing. For a one or two day trip, it's probably the best choice as you save the weight of your cooking kit. Do your own, they will be healthier.

Personal note: 4 sandwiches a day plus biscuits for a short trip, and for the longest ones: hot chocolate and coffee at breakfast, paté on bread, dried fruits, and a soup followed by a puree or noddles for the supper. Biscuits between the meals.
Spices weight nothing and will make it taste good. In summer, you have to eat some salt to compensate for sweating a lot.
>>
If you don't want to bring your own food, you are an ultralighter and I hate you.
Anyway, keep in mind that you will have to jump meals, but you can still:

Gather plants, as lot of them are edible, but only few have a nutritive value for humans. Learn what plants are good for you and eat only plants whose you know the name of.
A lot of roots, stem, sap, leaves or bay will give you inflammations or make you puke and some can kill you. The only way to know the local edibles is to buy a book of your region and to learn it. You should carry it until you can tell apart all the edibles. If you know the wood, plants become a more reliable source of energy than meat and burn less calories to gather.
Some plant have medicinal virtues, others make potent poisons. Double check everything before you eat it, especially mushrooms.

Hunt for meat. This is a COMPLEMENTARY calories source. It come in ADDITION of something else. Don't even think that you can go in the wood without food and hunt/trap/fish your meals. Even if you manage to get enough, it will fuck your body faster than eating only cereals. By far, the most dangerous thing you can do in the wood is to walk with a loaded gun, or with stupid friends with guns. Whatever you plan to do, check the local hunting laws because the happening haven't happened yet.

More likely, you will cry at other people that you failed at trapping a rabbit and will ask them to share the food they carried. This is why no one like ultralighters.

I think I should include more packing food, but I can't think of what. Maybe I will just add a line of pictures.
>>
>>674554
Better

Thanks OP I like what youre doing
>>
bumping to keep it alive
>>
>>674376
I am of the exact opposite opinion, always seeing my hiking partners struggle with sections because of boots, while I always seem to have the easiest time with regular shoes
>>
Great work, please do the same with other subject than foot
>>
OP is back. Due to a bad understanding on a rent, I had to do stealth car camping in a place where roam 5000 of some of the worst people on hearth.

I don't have too many time now but I will in some days. for now, I am thinking of another presentation.
>>
>>673745
Too long; didn't read.
>>
>>675973
>a bad understanding on a rent
made me laugh.
It's not that hard, when rent is due you pay it. Very difficult to believe somebody didn't understand that.
>>
>>673745
>If you don't want to bring your own food, you are a fucking ultralighter and I hate you.

Made me stop reading. Nothing useful to be found here...
>>
>>676011
If you don't pack your own food and rely on other people to feed you, nothing useful for you here, indeed.
Maybe let your friend (the one that carry your food) see it, though
>>
OP, if you're doing this right, it should take some time, and the thread might die by then.
You're doing a good thing here though, so keep working and come back once you have a few drafts.
Also, some may disagree, but citing sources is the golden standard, both for the reader to pursue interests further, and for us critics to give more objective advice. Doesn't have to be a fuckhueg list, maybe even small, grey numbers at the end of text chunks, that then list your info source at the image footer/seperate last page.

If you're really serious, don't be afraid to reference books. "Bushcraft" and those SAS guides come to mind.
For the first aid, don't be a memer who packs 100 bandaids and a quickclot/suture/thoracotomy kit with zero training. Please emphasize the need for reading/bringing a little manual, and the relative superiority of medicines over supplies, because you will need Advil and benadryl far more than a fucking tourniquet...
("When there is no doctor", "wilderness medicine", "oxford handbook of expedition & wilderness medicine" to start, and some online forum's first aid sections for ideas of what to pack)
>>
>>676072
>citing sources is the golden standard
wouldn't say golden standard, but it's a good idea to add sources / further readings
if OP adds URLs he should also shorten them
>>
File: prep 0,2.png (3 MB, 1350x4460) Image search: [Google]
prep 0,2.png
3 MB, 1350x4460
>>676007
Not what happened. A guy wanted to rent me an apartment, and forgot to write it down, eventually forgot about the whole deal and rented it to someone else. I guess I am to blame too for not checking.

>>676011
Feel free to starve, I am not going to stop you. I expect more of your kind to think the same so I extended the paragraph. Thank you for your involuntary advice.

>>676072
>>676127
I will do a progressive job. Next step is various background/fronts.
This is not a scientific study nor an historical essay but a compilation of know facts that some people may not know. There is not much to argue in the fact that gas stoves are practical.
Adding where to find more information is a good thing. If you have some nice websites/books to advice, I can add them.
If I ever go as far as the first aid kit, it will focus more on skills than on stuff.
>>
>>673745
autistic/10
>>
Gay. I camp with just some tarps, cord, and my fatass knife. You are a gay.
>>
>>676661
And what do you drink, Bear Grylls?
>>
>>676671
Probably his own urine.
>>
>>676671
reindeer blood you dumb fuck, you actually had to ask?
>>
>>676645
In the 'Dehydrated foods' section, did you mean to type 'goggle', or was that a mis-correction on the spellchecker's part?

'MRE are' - put an S in there? The box says 'MEAL READY TO EAT', not 'MEALS blabla'.

"Spices weight" should be "Spices weigh".

May want a section on using ultralighters as food source. [spoiler]This is a joke.[/spoiler]

>>676697
It wasn't that obvious, Rudolph.
[spoiler]The other deer rue not letting him play NOW, don't they?[/spoiler]
>>
>>676645
Good idea with the colored Headlines
i think http://www.outdoorblueprint.com/outfit/ is good for further readings/source
>>
>>676067
>>676645
Ultralighters carry food. In fact, ultralighters carry lots of food, because they're usually distance hikers. I'm not sure how anyone got convinced otherwise.
>>
>>676661
Wow. I am impressed, you must be a real badass. Building your own fire starter set and lighting a fire just like that is simply impressive. And you know all your edibles? You are a real scholar, aren't you? You drink muddy water? You sleep with just your clothes on the open? What fucking golden constitution you must have! You hunt with a knife? Now, that's what I call being a predator. God, you don't even need to cook, your stomach is the one of a real man.

I can't imagine you surviving in the cold like a hobo and then miserably walking back home thirsty and starved and acting smug after that. Are you sure you have more than theoretical experience?

>>676892
Fixed.

I am not going to include the "interesting source of protein" thing but it remind me of that die hard survivor we had on /out/ who said if he is trapped with someone and nothing to eat, he eat him on day 2 to avoid becoming weak. It was the second most creepy guy here after that hunter who shoot every bush that move and every shape because he is not going to take any chance.

>>677051
I am going to spend some time on that website. How come I didn't knew this gem?

>>677116
>ultralighters
>carry lots
How does that work? Some ultralighters are greedy on weight so they can carry weeks of food, but it is just a fringe of the UL folks. The key for long distance hike is to resupply at regular intervals. Most ultralighters understand that.
>>
>>677317
Ultralight means carrying less weight, yeah, but not less of what I need.

When i hike 20+miles a day, I'm eating 3500 to 4000 calories per day. Even with a relatively short 5-7 day trip, food is the biggest portion of weight in my pack
>>
OP, what's your first language? i'm just curios

pic is relatedt to >>677051
>>
>>677739
>s your first language? i'm just curios

My hunch: german or romanian.
>>
>>677739
I am guessing he is a russian jew
>>
is this thing still going?
>>
>>677347
peanut butter is king
it contains shittons of calories and if you see a bear you can smear it on your dick to get a free bj
>>
>>678735
My money's on French.
>>
File: fronts.png (192 KB, 1350x2043) Image search: [Google]
fronts.png
192 KB, 1350x2043
>>679315
Someone won. Purée and paté gave me, isn't it?

Sorry, work leave me few free time
I tried different fronts, let's go with perpetua. I still have to find a few other website interesting and some good background because black on white sucks.
It's more work than it look like, I make the water/sleep one and that's it. Would you believe writing it is one of the shortest thing you have to do to produce this kind of infochart? It's the most interesting one anyway.

Why romanian or jew?
>>
File: foop.png (159 KB, 684x325) Image search: [Google]
foop.png
159 KB, 684x325
>>673745
>no mention of pocket soop
I am disappoint
Granted, it falls under the category of dehydrated foods, but it's relatively easy, doesn't take special equipment unless you want to make it even better by vacuum packing it, can be made in the field, can easily be adjusted for whatever nutrition needs, and can be combined with ramen for ultimate /out/ aspie food.
Pic relate - an ol' time pocket foop recipe for you.
>>
File: foop2.png (168 KB, 546x308) Image search: [Google]
foop2.png
168 KB, 546x308
>>680200
2nd part, because I know you want it.
>>
>>673745
My gas stove didn't come with any sparklers. I feel ripped off.
>>
File: prep 0,3.png (3 MB, 1348x5093) Image search: [Google]
prep 0,3.png
3 MB, 1348x5093
>>680205
I searched it on google but I can't find anything. What is it?

>>680281
Don't worry, it is less practical without but you save weight for a more versatile lighter.

So, this is close to the final version, if not the final one.
>>
>>681124
Awesome work man.
Where did you learn all this shit ? Do you have enough knowledge to do the same concept with other topic ?
>>
>>681124
Pocket soup, search pocket soup or portable soup. Some are better than others as far as nutrition, flavor, and shelf life, but the technique is useful for survival, especially because it uses up what would otherwise be considered scrap by most people.
It's essentially a stock reduced in a double boiler and drained to the point of being a very dense and hard gelatin cube when cooled.
>>
>>681125
From going to camping since childhood, trying to change my gears, browsing /out/ and making some research to write this shit.

>>681200
I will try to include it.
>>
>>681124
Would be good for readability to use backgroundcolors in the table like in my pic.
>>
>>681124
your autism is spilling
>>
>>681124
>MREs are far more heavier
That's a pleonasm. Something can only be heavier, never more than that.
>For a one or two day trip, it's
The '','' is unnecessary. English doesn't use '','' much.
>Do your own
I think make your own is better but i'm not sure, i never really learned whent to use bake/cake, do/make, etc.
>Gather plants, as lot
I think it should be lots, not sure though.
>only few have a nutritive value
The ''a'' is not necessary.
>eat only plants whose you know the name of.
eat only plants whose name you know. or eat only plants you are aware of their names.
>If you know the wood,
woods
>>
>>681124
>COMPLEMENTORY calories
calory agrees(is that the right term?) with source, so it must be on the singular.
>It come
It comes
>in ADDITION of
in ADDITION to
>that you can go in the wood
in the woods. Wood can mean wood or boner, woods can mean forest or the plural form of wood or boner.
>the happening haven't happened
hasn't

I'm tired so i'll stop now. Godspeed.
>>
>>681551
I was really just teasing about including it, but I am fond of it because waste not want not and all that, even in the time of apocalypse, and I think cooking is one of those skills that needs to be promoted more than "hoard canned goods and nooders" for survival. Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>673745
West coast Russian immigrant?
>>
>>681844
>That's a pleonasm. Something can only be heavier, never more than that.
There is a difference between slightly heavier and much heavier. The 'more' in 'far more heavier' is non-standard but still adds emphasis. 'Far heavier' is fine though.

>I think make your own is better
>I think it should be lots
I agree here, but 'a lot' is also an alternative.

>eat only plants whose name you know. or eat only plants you are aware of their names.
'eat only plants (that) you know the name of' sounds better to me
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.