[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Puttee thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: _72505914_puttees.jpg (33 KB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
_72505914_puttees.jpg
33 KB, 560x315
So, I will be purchasing myself a pair of 9ft brown wool puttees for outdoor hiking use. I already know what they are used for but I want to know if there is anyone else who uses/has used/want to use for themselves. I personally can not wait until mine arrive just in time for this cold snowy weather
>>
I had looked into it briefly, but didn't end up getting a pair because I don't really hike in situations where I need gaiters. Sounds neat though, let us know how it goes.
>>
>>637828
Just to point a few things out...
They take time to put on, for example when you want to change socks or something.
They stop circulation in your feet if you pull them too tight.
They will usually get really dirty. Wool cloth doesn't get dirty easily, but it's comparably harder to wash.
>>
So what are they for?
>>
File: winnigas.jpg (115 KB, 448x496) Image search: [Google]
winnigas.jpg
115 KB, 448x496
so they're basically the same as anglo saxon winnigas?

they look cosy and good at keeping you warm and stopping brush from scratching you
>>
>>637963
Larper pls leave
>>
I've never heard of these. Are these just an edgy version of gaiters or am I missing something? What are the benefits?
>>
>>638042
They're basically very cheap tight fitting gaiters.
>>
>>638076
Ok, are they always made of wool or can they use waterproof materials like gotetex/nylon gaiters? I feel like they would get wet and cold if you were using them in snow.
>>
>>637963
>Tfw you'll never have the calves thick enough to make these look good
>>
>>637956
They are made to keep your legs intact inna woods. Such as keeping debris out of your footwear, keeping your legs and pants dry and clean as well as keeping them warm
>>
>>>>638042
Personally, I like the idea of puttees more than gaiters because gaiters are usually expensive and I wouldn't want to trash something expensive of mine. Plus, puttees have been around a super long time. Originally made by vikings legend has it
>>
>>638082
You have a point there. I mulled it over and figured if I layer the puttees well then only the outermost layer(s) will get wet.
>>
>>638189
You're not really going to trash gaitors. I have OR crocs and they're fucking indestructible. If I had a need to cut them off or cut them into bandages or something I don't think I would be able to.
>>
File: P2210136_edit_zps9e80af02.jpg (87 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
P2210136_edit_zps9e80af02.jpg
87 KB, 1024x768
It will be a challenge to not look like a boyscout dork, but it is a challenge I am willing to accept
>>
>>637963
It would seem so. I would even bet that they do and are for the same exact thing. Although, it seems that theres an extra step to winnigas that puttees do not have
>>
>>638192
Even if only the outermost layer is wet, wind would be freezing. I understand them as a cheap alternative to gaiters in warm/dry weather, but they seem like worse than nothing in cold/wet weather.

The only information I can find on them is that they were used for military uniforms back in the day, but aren't used anymore. I think even cheap nylon gaiters with scotch guard would be preferable today.

>>638189
Puttees having been around a long time doesn't mean that something that works better isn't out there and commonly used. Humans have done a lot of stupid stuff for way longer than we should have because of that mentality.
>>
>>638210
Its not like im climbing fucking Mt. Everest. While it gets really cold where I am, the snow wont be up to my knees; even if it was, its not going to get so sopping wet and bone-chilling cold that it will literally turn into ice blocks on my leg.
Not that im saying its impossible, its just unlikely where I am
>>
>>637828
i cannot imagine boots being practical except for specialty use such as a wet/marshy environment. when i start backpacking i will likely opt out for some good running/walking shoes
>>
>>638277
I think the same way. I always thought
>How do I attain the benefit of wearing pants without getting them ridiculously muddy without wearing boots?
I eventually came to a small hand full of choices and Ive chosen puttees. Ill let /out/ know how it goes when they come in
>>
>>637963
how do you make them stay up? i never managed
after a few steps they slide down and i have some serious calves.
>>
Just buy gaiters. They're cheaper than wool and tougher and stay in place better.

Or are you trying to be a wwi reenactor?
>>
>>638042
> I've never heard of these. Are these just an edgy version of gaiters or am I missing something?

Back in oldy timey days, leg wraps like these were worn by peasants and drafted soldiers as a cheep alternative to proper leather boots.

> What are the benefits?

There are none at all.
>>
File: gaiter.jpg (39 KB, 466x582) Image search: [Google]
gaiter.jpg
39 KB, 466x582
>>638260
> While it gets really cold where I am, the snow wont be up to my knees; even if it was, its not going to get so sopping wet and bone-chilling cold that it will literally turn into ice blocks on my leg.

Except they will, as they're made out of non-waterproof cloth.

Leg wraps / puttees were not used because they were better, they were used because they were cheep and unless you're a LARPer going for the oldy timey look, it makes no sense to use them instead of proper modern gaiters.
>>
>>638787
Wool cloth doesn't get soaked easily. It also doesn't lose insulative or windblocking properties fast. Really, having wool puttees is a lot better than having nothing in pretty much any circumstance. People used them for hundreds of years.
>>
>>638876
And now we have gaiters, which are better in literally every way. Technology advanced

Just
Buy
Gaiters
>>
File: graph5_thumb1.jpg (42 KB, 494x382) Image search: [Google]
graph5_thumb1.jpg
42 KB, 494x382
>>638876
If you're hiking in snow they will get wet and wet wool will be worse insulation than wearing nothing. Maybe the fact that humans used them for hundreds years and now they are almost extinct tells you something about how effective they were.
>>
File: gaiters.jpg (21 KB, 356x500) Image search: [Google]
gaiters.jpg
21 KB, 356x500
>>638876
> Really, having wool puttees is a lot better than having nothing in pretty much any circumstance.

If you're in conditions where wool puttees would be of any value, you should already have gaiters on.
>>
>>638886
>Maybe the fact that humans used them for hundreds years and now they are almost extinct tells you something
>humans are almost extinct
While I understand where you're coming from, I'm not sure considering Asiatics inhuman is warranted.
>>
>>638195
Old time scouts were badass, its the new ones who suck
>>
>>638891
Agreed.

The only use of puttees would be for warmth under a pair of gaiters.
>>
File: felt_gaiters.jpg (182 KB, 504x494) Image search: [Google]
felt_gaiters.jpg
182 KB, 504x494
>>638878
Yeah... gaiters are better from an ergonomic pov too. Btw wool gaiters exist and people use them.
>>638886
Slightly damp wool != drenched wool(which is what the guy tested). It's also water repellent which will stop it from getting that wet, unless you literally stand in the water (in which case it's still better than not having them. You should remove them afterwards ofc).
Also, puttees were literally discovered several times and used enthusiastically until better (more elaborate and expensive) solutions came up. They do work.
>>638891
I said it here.
>>637948
>>638076
Puttees are primitive gaiters, but they are better than nothing.

Also, OP asked for puttees out of reasons that are his own, not for the most functional high tech gaiters. Deal with it.
>>
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 383x383) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14 KB, 383x383
Swazi aligaiters, most gaiters are too ridgid these are a kevlar knit and have an elastic panel at the calf that expands and contracts as you walk.
>>
>>639266
Do these goretex, or are they at least water repellent?
Btw kevlar and steel cord gaiters are probably stronger than most /out/doorsmen need it.
>>
>>639518

Theyre water repellant, the shale on the mountains we have here can be like broken glass.

Crimped wire ties make more sense anywhere since a tie coming undone can mean a fatal fall if you trip.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.