[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Osprey Feedback
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Osprey Aether.jpg (174 KB, 772x1500) Image search: [Google]
Osprey Aether.jpg
174 KB, 772x1500
I'm new at this and my friends are telling me to get the Aether. I have the funds but I am not sure whether this is a good starting backpack. Any feedback? I would like to go on 3-4 day camps.
>>
Starting backpack? It's pretty fuckin great.

My first pack was a shitty 100 dollar rando brand I bought from cabelas. Hiked for two weeks with it. If you're buying osprey or aether and spending more than 200, you're probably fine.

I would only recommend going to an actual store, getting fitted, trying it on etc...
>>
Definitely go to a store and figure out your size first. Even if you don't buy it from that store.

My first pack was an Osprey Kestrel 48 and I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. It's durable, well made, and everything I need. It's the kind of thing you'll keep around for a long time even if you decide to go ultralight or something. It's just as good for regular travel as it is for backpacking.

Plus they have a lifetime no-questions-asked warranty. So if something does break, even if it's your fault, they will fix it or replace it for free.
>>
It's a pretty expensive pack for a starter pack. BUT if it fits all your gear nicely really can't go wrong. 70 Liters is a good space for 3-4 days and they claim it handles loads up to 50 lbs very comfortably so that's more weight than you will use.

Lot's of people for their first pack spend something like $30-$100 and is like 50 liters and under but then you are really limiting yourself what you can bring and how it can be packed.
>>
>>637105
I can't stress this enough:
BUY YOUR PACK LAST. then it will fit all your gear and suit your activities properly.

I don't know what your climate and activities are, but 70L is gigantic for 3 season, 3-4 day camps.

for comparison, I can do a week with 52L.

that said, osprey is a fine brand, and definitely one of the better mass market ones. if you have the budget for the aether, you can consider packs by ULA, and sixmoon designs as well.
>>
>>637133
Buy your pack first. That way as you get your kit you can make sure it will fit in your pack. Other than that your advice was somewhat ok
>>
>>637138
this is silly. packs have dimensions and weight restrictions. how can he choose the right one if he doesn't know what he's going to carry yet?

the gear must be picked based on his intended pursuits, not some arbitrary restriction imposed by his pack.
>>
Whenever you buy it I would recommend going to a shop and trying it on - a pack that fits you well makes quite a difference.
>>
>>637141

I'm not who you're responding to, but in my experience, your gear will learn to fit your pack. I've used an 80 or something like that most of my life and have always been able to fill it to the brim and feel like I just barely made it.

I started rocking an Aether 60 last April (also, I do wilderness therapy, so I put this to use about 16 days out of a month) and have taken it on a short backcountry trip and feel like it fits my stuff fine. It was just a matter of figuring out how to save spaceand leave what I never use (why did I ever bring a griddle?).

Long story shoft, buy a pack first with the intention of filling it and you will. Buy a 110, and you will carry that much. Buy a 60, and you will do the same. Protip: with a smaller pack, outer layers can tie or clip onto the outside.
>>
OP, I have an Aether. They are fantastic. Best pack I've owned. I have a 60 that works great, but it takes a little creativity to make it a 4 seasons kit. Depending on climate, look at a 70. Also check out the Atmos AG, they seem really nice too.
>>
>>637105
The Aether 70 is a great all around pack, especially if you don't have a bunch of expensive ultra light gear. You should be able to find some good deals on it right now.
>>
File: Farpoint.jpg (80 KB, 511x498) Image search: [Google]
Farpoint.jpg
80 KB, 511x498
greetings !

I need advice too, I settled on an osprey farpoint 40, but it is almost impossible to get in canada, but I found it.

I need sizing advice, the only sizes are s/m and m/l.

my measurement, as far as I can tell by measuring myself is 20 inches, which is size for m/l, the size for 19 inches is s/m or m/l. I am 6'1"/185cm 150lbs/69kgs, if that matters...

so does anyone have experience using a too small of size particularly with osprey sizing?
>>
>>637105
i have the Red Cloud 90 and i love it!
>>
>>637195
just cause a pack is bigger doesn't mean its going to be heavier. For example, I have a 50 liter bag I can't fit my winter sleeping bag sideways in it and storing it upright is totally inefficient way to pack it. Just cause I get a bigger pack to accommodate that doesn't mean I am suddenly going to bring an entire cast iron kitchen with me.
>>
How are High sierra packs? Amazon has Titan 55's on sale for $60 and I'm looking for something to replace my LK35.
>>
I'm looking into buying my first pack, and I went to a small outdoor supply store earlier today. I spent some time learning about the different packs there. I was recommended a 50L osprey bag, as well as a 50L waterproof bag, which I cannot remember the brand name of.

In any case, I wanted to know if /out/ has any wiki or collection of gear recommendations? With the huge collection of gear threads, I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find any.

>>637244
A medium osprey pack fit me well, I am 5'11". I did not notice a difference in sizing between the osprey packs and other packs, but I only tried 3 different brand bags on.
>>
>>637367
>I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find any.

it's cause pretty much anything works. you can roll up a wool blanket or use a school backpack or buy a $500 bag, doesn't matter.
>>
>>637431
Sure, but a large portion of /out/ seems to debate the issue anyway.
I would think that there would be some copypasta-type images with a bunch of gear that doesn't suck. But I guess people have more fun debating the issue than finding good value gear.
>>
>>637105
That would be a great pack. Like others have said, go to the store, get it fitted to you. Don't know if you have checked out other packs yet, but I believe the Aether is minimalist (relatively). not as many pockets, zippers, bells and whistles. This means it will be lighter, and it also claims to fit people very comfortbaly.

I use a gregory baltoro 75. Lots of pockets, bells and whistles, etc. But i really like to keep an organized pack with everything in its place, so that's me.

Think about how you'll pack your backpack, then poke around. This is a super nice pack though, you would not be dissapointed at all if you bought it I think.
>>
>>637436
It's really hard to fuck up a bag. All the components are already made by reputable manufacturers, it just comes down to your design and sowing skills pretty much.
>>
>>637105
I need some advice as well... I Have an older kelty external frame Pacific Crest 82 liter. I've used it a few times for 3-4 day trips. I'm doing my first 8 day trip and im trying to decide between using the Kelty or getting one of these Osprey Aethers . Am I gonna hate life with the external frame?
>>
>>638856
how did your kelty feel on those 3-4 day trips?

best thing to do it load the pack up as if you were going on the 8 day trip, and take a long day hike.
>>
>>639589
Well, I thought it felt pretty good, but I'm used to some pretty shitty packs too. I'm going on a trip of a life-time and I don't want to be worried about my pack. There must be some reason everyone uses internal frame now, or maybe I'm just overthinking it. Definitely going to do some day hikes with it beforehand too.
>>
>>637105
> new
Pretty good as a starter pack.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.