[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Waterproof Backpack. Hey guys what do you think about dry bag?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: supertube.png (690 KB, 849x643) Image search: [Google]
supertube.png
690 KB, 849x643
Waterproof Backpack.

Hey guys what do you think about dry bag? It'll hold everything in one main compartment, water is no longer a problem, it could also float to become a raft/lifesaver to cross river or just swimming.

What do you think the pros and cons about the dry bag?
>>
>>637026
The weight distribution looks awful.
>>
>>637027
I guess it depends on how much weight or how well we pack? What about condensation inside the bag? Could it happen?
>>
>>637026
>bottom straps
>>
>>637030
I see what you mean, but I've seen other type of drybag with much more stronger looking straps with padding.
>>
File: DSCF0429.jpg (528 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0429.jpg
528 KB, 1200x1600
I have one. I'd tell you the pros and cons but then I love listening to the experts give their opinions on things they've never seen or used in their lives.
>>
Will be looking forward to know more about the cons more than the pros tho haha
>>
>>637026
I have one. I can say its good for canoeing and kayaking, but i dont do any hiking with backpacks. It wouldn't be the greatest but if you pack it tight it kinda supports itself

Its a decent low budget option, i got mine for 40 bucks at a surplus store
>>
>>637035
>I'd tell you the pros and cons but I have never actually used this bag I bought last year
>>
>>637055
"ORDER PLACED August 14, 2014"
"TOTAL $69.87"

Damn you're good. But I hate to disappoint but the town I live in is technically in a rain forest and have many dry bags.
>>
>>637035
>I'd tell you the pros and cons but instead of contributing constructively to the thread I'll just act like a smug little shit because someone disagreed with me in a thread once

Fuck off
>>
>>637065
>Fuck off
You must be the "expert"
>>
Hardcore tier 10/10 would buy the 120L drybag backpack
>>
I've always used Ortleib dry bags. They're really hard wearing, I usually just use them to line my rucksack, or attatch a utility strap to it if I'm kayaking.
>>
If you do a lot of backpacking in areas with a lot of precipitation (I live in Finland) then they are pretty nice. I like not having to worry about messing with rain covers or anything and everything stays completely dry. I have a watershed bag and it works quite well as a hiking bag, although the straps could be a bit better
>>
>>637177
Yeah that is one of the nice thing about dry bag pack, no more worries in a humid/wet condition. Living in SEA with the tropical rainforest area, this kind of bag is a godsend.
>>
File: alpbag.jpg (81 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
alpbag.jpg
81 KB, 400x600
I own an alpkit gourdon 20. Really like it but it's now been pretty much replaced by a 27l more comfortable bag for day trips up hills etc.

It's a nice bag though, shit is dry after a rain storm and it's very light.

Not the most comfortable, and the single compartment thing is a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes. Also, because of the seams this particular model isn't 100% dunk-in-a-river waterproof, it will seep when fully submerged.

On the whole I like it though. I still use it when I know it's going to be wet, it's just that I generally don't plan on getting wet much when /out/ so as a result it gets fairly little use.
>>
File: tonka-lasten kraxe.jpg (85 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
tonka-lasten kraxe.jpg
85 KB, 900x600
>>637026
i use a dry bag from time to time with my external frame.

Pros:
waterproof - snow, rain, dirt, i don't care
Easy to pack its a stuff sack
though i only tried it for fun in summer i does float
durable
easy to clean.

cons:
its waterproof everything will stay moist and stew inside the bag.
only one opening, no compartments
heavy
>>
>>637026
Great if you plan on getting into water or on a boat, pointless otherwise. Just put double garbage bags in your backpack, put everything inside, and you have essentially the same thing. Unless obviously you're expecting torrential downpour, but then that's a special situation.

It's always best to first estimate the odds of getting wet, make sure you don't, and protect what is the most essential like first aid or food.
>>
>>637026
I have a SealLine 35 litre pack. Have done 3-day hikes with it. Perfectly comfortable. Never have to worry about water saturation.
>>
>>637177
Forgot to mention that mine works pretty well even when it is quite cold out, although I usually use a different one for cold weather since more space is required.
>>
Why give up the suspension system and organisation of a good pack?

You should be dry bagging all your sleeping gear and electronics already!
>>
>>637026
I cano alot. I throw my 70l hiking bag in a 110 liter drybag, throw it in the cano and you never get wet undies. Dont use one for Real hiking. 0% comfort
>>
>>637198
so one of the cons is there will also be moisture/condensation build up if we store wet/damp cloth together inside the bag.

since the material is thick plastic when in hot & humid condition stuff inside would also stew.

I'm wondering; would a big pack of silica gel solve this issue?
>>
>>637385
in simple terms it would depend on the volume of water in the wet gear. and the volume possible to be adsorbed by the silica gel bag of the seize used.

and... you would then have a heavy bag silica gel. with a one time limited use to carry around.
>>
>>637035

It's a dry sack with straps on it.

Carrying any significant weight on your shoulders is just not comfortable or healthy. If you have something that needs to be kept dry and is bulky (40L) yet very light or not going to be carried very far then sure. Otherwise a frame pack with a dry sack inside it would be far more suitable.

What am I missing?
>>
I got one when my brother and I took a 5 day canoeing trip a couple years back, it was pretty similar to the one in OP pic. I remember it was pretty much the cheapest one i could find that had the capacity i wanted.

It worked fine for taking out of the boat and hauling up the campsite, and it kept all my shit dry from splashes and shit. I never had it fully submerged though, i dont know that i would trust it.

It is pretty shitty as a backpacking backpack though: no waist belt, really flimsy straps that kind of zipped into a compartment to hide the straps, and no organization.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.