[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flashlight thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11
File: Flashlights.jpg (120 KB, 980x670) Image search: [Google]
Flashlights.jpg
120 KB, 980x670
So tell me...
What kind of flashlight do you consider good for general /out/ activity?
>What range of lumens do you find necessary?
>How important is size?
>What kind of battery life do you consider necessary?

What flashlight/s do you use?
Which intensity modes/settings do you use most often?
Rate your flashlight.
>>
I carry the Fenix E35UE. 3 levels of brightness, with a 4th when you keep the button held, letting out around 800 lumens. Takes a single rechargeable 18650 or 2 CR123 surefire style batteries. Only grip is the button is a slim button on the side, can be a bitch with gloves but usually not bad. Battery life is great too, if I am going to need more batteries I carry two fully charged 18650's in a small case that vape batteries come in. Will post pictures in a second
>>
File: 20151126_085841.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151126_085841.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Can for scale
>>
File: 718E9maEoSL._SL1500_.jpg (171 KB, 1500x1492) Image search: [Google]
718E9maEoSL._SL1500_.jpg
171 KB, 1500x1492
>>636732
>What kind of flashlight do you consider good for general /out/ activity?
Small led
>What range of lumens do you find necessary?
Around 200 at most
>How important is size?
Very, and one handed operation
>What kind of battery life do you consider necessary?
Mine lasts me over a year on a set of AAA, claims 100-200 hours constant on.
>What flashlight/s do you use?
MagLite XL200, got it 2 years ago and love it. It's the only one I take.
>Which intensity modes/settings do you use most often?
Low/high it's variable, sometimes low is not low enough for me but high has always been adequate. I have seen better but at the cost of size and battery requirements and shorter life.
>Rate your flashlight.
9/10, a lanyard hole or sheath would be nice to have
>>
>>636732

Thrunite tn12 2014. It has beaten my nitecores, my fenix, I even like it more than some of my surfires. 60 bucks, multiple lumen output that tops off at 1100 lumens. Also a 2 yr warranty, if them full on replacing..not fixing, but replacing with a new flash light.

The thing has done so well, I actually have one attached to my AR. Which I tried that with multiple nite cores and fenix flash lights, they don't hold up well enough, the shock of the rifle firing will short those ones out, not thrunite it seems. Plus if you do just a simple youtube, or candle power search, you'll see how many ppl pick mine over the others.
>>
>>636732

I have a thrunite archer 2A

I`ve not used it enough to determine how good it is with batteries etc, but on the highest setting it lights up the forest

If I turn it on in my house it lights up the room about as well as if I turned on the light

It also has lower settings which are totally adequate

I`d struggle to rate it below 10/10 but I have only had it a few weeks and not needed it/used it much
>>
File: hl.jpg (239 KB, 966x594) Image search: [Google]
hl.jpg
239 KB, 966x594
>>636732
>What kind of flashlight do you consider good for general /out/ activity?
Flashlights are inferior to headlamps regarding /out/ use. having your hands free is key. So lumen is mostly for gearqueers who never actually use their stuff.
>>
File: page-loader.gif (46 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
page-loader.gif
46 KB, 300x300
>>636766
This.

>lumen range:
~200 lumens max
>size?
2x AA cells are a fine tradeoff between bulkiness and capacity (Li cells not widely available around here)
>battery life?
go at least 8h without recharging
>what flashlight/s do you use?
Fenix LD20 and HP01, cheapo backups, in that order
>which intensity most often?
~50 lumens
>>
Do headlamps count?

I use a black diamond spot. Its pretty much ideal for me, good middle ground between brightness and battery life, and it has red light and a bunch of dim modes

I also edc a fenix e01, which is very bright for such a small light, its not much bigger than the single AAA it takes. Other than that i use dollar store flashlights for innawoods
>>
>>636761
Are you me? I'd be happy with a clip and I'm considering just tapping it for an old pocket knife clip. For now it just rides in a shitty multitool pouch
>>
>>636766

It also depends what the flash light is for. For edc, you're most likely will not carry a head lamp. For /out/ opportunity, head lamp is the way to go.
>>
>>636732
Can anyone recommend a headlamp for general outdoor use? Up to $100
>>
>>636805

Check thrunite. They got one for like 60. Max output is like 700 ish lumens, it is all one solid piece...meaning battery pack is included too, so no wires that can get lose over time.
>>
I just carry a mag 3d, no clue on lumens but I'm happy with it
>>
>>636805
Black diamond spot. Make sure you get the newest model, they have them at mec and rei

$50ish for 200 lumens, bunch of dim modes and red light, plus ipx8 waterproof rating
>>
>>636732

Can anyone recommend a very good 10/10 headlight?

Money is not a concern. I just want top quality and durability.
>>
>>636833
Go with black diamond. Model depends on your wants and needs, but id do spot or icon
>>
>>636833
>Can anyone recommend a very good 10/10 headlight?
>Money is not a concern. I just want top quality and durability.
What do you need it for?
>>
>>636766
i agree.
chopping tree in the dark while trying to hold your flashlight is no fun.
if you put it down you can't really see well too much shadows to much contrast your eyes adjust to the light and can't see shit where it's not.
>>
>>636732
>What flashlight/s do you use?
got a light for my bike it's led and internal battery usb charged.
lights forever but at least 7 hours.
use it on my bike but also take it when i go hiking.
not the most ergonomic to hold, but pretty light.
i was thinking about getting a headlamp i could also use it when biking so it would serve a dual purpose.
>>
File: 171970.jpg (25 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
171970.jpg
25 KB, 550x550
>>636838
>>636839

Extended outdoor use.

Never mind, I found one already.

This is supposed to have great battert life
>>
>>636848
What model is that?
Try and get the newest bd models, thats one of last years. They fixed a bunch of little stuff and increasd lumen output on them when they updated them
>>
>>636813

Shill? You're a fucking retard. More than enough ppl have voucher for this. Specially forums I'd trust more than 4chan and retards like you. So research and reviews already speak for themselves. So fuck off faggot. If I want an amazing dildo to shove up my ass, I will ask you for your opinion. Again, plenty of research and reviews that prove what I said. So again, fuck off fag.
>>
>>636880
U really, really love thrunite shit eh
>>
File: 1358496092882.gif (9 KB, 640x350) Image search: [Google]
1358496092882.gif
9 KB, 640x350
>>636775
>Fenix LD20
Same.
>>
>>636888

Like I said, I compared it with Nitecore, Fenix, even Surfire, I have dig Thrunite the most. The ONLY time I have heard negative about it, has been when it comes to the carry pouch. I've dropped them, thrown them, pretty much treated it like a cheap whore, still love that. Hell cutlery lover shot his with a 22, it still worked fine.

Truly go to any flash light forum, you'll hear the same crap. Those ppl can be a pain to please.

That is one reason why Thrunite has the best warranty out there, cause they stand by their shit.
>>
>>636888

Like I said, I compared it with Nitecore, Fenix, even Surfire, I have dig Thrunite the most. The ONLY time I have heard negative about it, has been when it comes to the carry pouch. I've dropped them, thrown them, pretty much treated it like a cheap whore, still love that. Hell cutlery lover shot his with a 22, it still worked fine.

Truly go to any flash light forum, you'll hear the same crap. Those ppl can be a pain to please.

Plus Thrunite has the best warranty out there too.
>>
>>636766
>>636803
>>636840
You can go masturbate over headlamps in the headlamp thread.
Many people use flashlights in certain situations.
Headlamps are not superior in every instance.
This thread was made to discuss handheld lights.
Lets try to keep it friendly and on topic, eh?
>>
I carry a Surefire 6PX daily in my job as a handyman. I have had many Maglites stolen from me. They were all tough lights but had low power. I've owned 2 Fenix lights that didn't last very long and a Nitecore that almost immediately took a shit on me and will never trust either of those brands again.

Surefire is a great light but is expensive and uses cr123 batteries which is super gay but most high power lights do. It's great for /out/ if you have spares but you'd almost certainly be fucked in a SHTF situation due to the fact that cr123s aren't readily available.

I buy my cr123s from Battery Junction for about $1 a piece so I can't bitch about them being too expensive.
>>
>>636798
Maybe, I have a benchmade clip I could use.
>>
>>636917
but headlamps can into handheld flashlight. can your handheld flashlight into headlamp?
>>
File: ultrafire_uf_h6_headband.jpg (252 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ultrafire_uf_h6_headband.jpg
252 KB, 800x600
>>637012
ahem.
>>
File: yes.jpg (625 KB, 1156x918) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
625 KB, 1156x918
>>637012
Quite a lot of options tbqh
>>637017
>>
>>637156
>how to look like a dork 101
>>
>>636732
always been partial to maglites.

>lumens
as bright as possible with a good life lasting at least 8 hours
>size
not a big concern but relatively light and rugged would be good. maglites aren't very light though
>battery life
8 hours min. I prefer using lithiums as they last longer and are lighter.

I am not very big on led for a flashlight although I prefer it for lanterns. I have never gotten used to white light. A friend works in lighting and says white light is better for distinguishing things but I find I have more trouble identifying things so I use xenons.
>>
>>637166
Wow. Time for a change?
>See friend drop MiniMaglite 2AA with conventional bulbs from 1m on forest path, gravel
>main bulb: killed
>spare bulb in tail cap: also killed.
>much fun in the dark was had.
Also LEDs don't turn most of the energy into heat to start with.
>>
>>637163
yeah, because headlamps are really stylish and cool, right?
>>>/fa/
>>
How long do these high end torches last for?
>>
>>636917
>Headlamps are not superior in every instance.
Name one /out/ instance where they are not superior.
>>
>>636732
That all really depends OP, on how dark shit will be, on what I'll be doing in the dark (because I usually sleep at that time), on the kind of activities I do which dictate the maximum weight and volume I can carry, and how long I leave which adjust battery life.

But in the end, in general I carry pic related, it's small, light, well waterproof, bright enough for most purposes, far enough battery life for most outtings. If I need more, I'll carry some bigger brighter Maglite with way more battery life. For intense activity in the night, I have an anglehead for it so I can put it on my backback's strap, and have both my hands and forehead free, as a headlamp isn't comfy in hot weather. Also practical in places where you don't want a lightsource near your head.

Which brings me to this: >>636766
Insects love lights at night, and in some areas, wearing a headlamp is an invitation to all the mosquitoes in the area to come and rape your ass. In those situations, you want it in your hand, which is where you can hold your headlamp after all, but then there are more practical lamps for that purpose too.
Also in a group, people will end up blinding each other with headlamps,a nd in this case, lantern-style or handheld flashlights aiming at the ground are far more practical. Otherwise it ends up decreasing visibility, which makes it dangerous, and in this case, better have one person with a flashlight leading the way as others follow.
>>
File: Black Diamond Ion.jpg (174 KB, 2000x1800) Image search: [Google]
Black Diamond Ion.jpg
174 KB, 2000x1800
>>637210
>But in the end, in general I carry pic related
Well here it is.
>>
File: 2m.jpg (147 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
2m.jpg
147 KB, 600x398
>>636766

Why not have BOTH, faggot.

1000 lumens, 1x18750
>>
>>636732

have a Olight H35 headlamp with 1500 lumen ... i m in mountain SAR and it does come in quite handy but is rather expensive
>>
>>637581
Because you don't need 1000 lumens for reading inna tent, nor for taking a dump at night, except of course you like some audience.
1000 Lumens has uses, but they are rather limited, for general /out/ work you want something less.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.