[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any one here work at a national park? I'm looking into this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: home-img-01.jpg (358 KB, 1246x996) Image search: [Google]
home-img-01.jpg
358 KB, 1246x996
Any one here work at a national park? I'm looking into this as a long term thing. So could you give me suggestions as to where is the best place in the USA to work year long and provides room and board? Also, any tips or information you feel necessary.
>>
File: 1447976327576.png (260 KB, 352x315) Image search: [Google]
1447976327576.png
260 KB, 352x315
>>634678
do you have to go to college for a job in a nation park? or can anyone do it? because I too am very interested in it but not really wanting to spend 4 years in school for it.
>>
>>634679
No anyone can do it, you don't even have to be a citizen.
>>
>>634679
Depends on the job. You don't need a college degree to clean campground showers.
>>
Getting a bachelors in biology in hopes of combining it with some first aid and /out/ courses in order to work in a park in glorious Canada. Might work?
>>
Wildland firefighter hoping to get a job at a national park myseld, spoke to a ranger he told me I would need 2 years with an outdoor job, 2 years of volunteer work and a 4 year degree in enviromental science befoe even being considered. This is in Washington. It killed me. Please. Please just let me work in the forests. Please god please it is the only thing that gives my life meaning.
>>
NPSfag here who worked in Natural Resources. Employee housing is typically for seasonals, though there may be long term availability depending on the park. The more remote or the bigger the park the better chance you have.

A degree is definitely required now. Most of the older workers maybe had a bachelors when they started working, but times have changed. Anything past a GS 5 or 6 requires at least a masters or an insane amount of experience. Entry jobs are GS 3 and 4

I suggest doing as much undergrad research and leadership stuff as you can, volunteering, etc. Stuff to make you stand out. Also, when crafting your resume, the conventional wisdom is to keep it short. Don't do that with federal resumes. Write out EVERYTHING that you've done. The more you out out, the better chance you have of getting past the weeding out process. After you get refered, email or call the hiring official at the park and tell them you're interested still in the position a few days after you get the email.

At first you'll probably only get seasonal jobs, then, after a few years you can build up to a term, then maybe a full time job. You will have to apply to an ASSLOAD of jobs to get one. I grabbed two seasonals this year and applied to 100.

Smaller less well known parks are great for getting experience in all aspects of the park service. Once you get a job branch out and do everything that you can. This season I taught myself GIS and created a database for the park I was working for, that shit looks great on a resume.

The important part is be flexible about where you apply. I've had to move all over the country for work. It's really difficult to stay in a geographic region if you want to work for NPS

Also AMA
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 443x293) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 443x293
>>635624
Then work towards it. Your dream job isn't going to just fall into your lap. Pursue it. Hunt it down. Compete for it. Show them that you deserve it.

I own a pretty good chunk of land in Arkansas, and manage a successful tree farm on it. The other ~95% is hardwood creek bottoms that I roam almost every day. I had to work to buy the land, then bust my ass to get a profitable operation going. Was it worth it? Hell yeah. I almost have more money than I have trees.
>>
>>635636
I mean I got hired for 2 (one in spring, one in summer). I had interviews with about 4 others.
>>
Never worked for the feds but have worked for state government.

If you wanna be a park ranger you just need to go to the police academy.
If you want to be laborer you just need to get hired.
If you want to work in the office or help visitors and campers you just need to get hired.
Naturalist you need college.
Superintendent you need college.

I don't know how to become fire service or game warden.
>>
>>635637
Oh I will. I will. I just hope I dont lose my mind before I reach that goal.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.