[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chris Candles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
We are all anonymous here, /out/.

Answer this truly, could you have lasted more days than this man? In the same location, same state, with the same supplies, could you have lived indefinitely off the land? What would you have done differently than he? Would you have stopped at the bus too? Would you have kept going?
>>
The issue with that is I wouldn't do it like him. He is a total retard.
>>
The question is akin to asking someone with no-to-limited flight experience if they could have done a better job landing a plane than some aviation fuck up. I probably couldn't do much worse than Mccandless, but I probably wouldn't do very well either. That's because I haven't done anything to learn survival techniques in Alaska because it's a situation I'm not going to put myself in.

To answer you're question, I would have stopped well before finding the bus. In fact, I'd have stopped before double majoring in the liberal arts.
>>
Poor dumb bastard looks like a god damned skeleton in that picture.

I would have done better IF I decided to do that. But I won't decide to do it. And the only reason I would do better is because I would save up money and make extensive preparations for such a journey.
>>
>>633419
>Answer this truly, could you have lasted more days than this man? In the same location, same state, with the same supplies
I wouldn't have ended up there because I would have listened to local advice. But playing along with your game, yes. With his map and wallet full of cash I could have found the tram across the river, hiked out to the highway, hitched into town and bought a nice pancake breakfast before calling my folks.
>>
>>633452
>>633442
>>633436
>>633428

>/out/ literally admits they would be shit in the Alaskan wilderness

Are there any real outdoorsmen in /out/, who think they might have stood a chance?
>>
>>633597

You might as well be asking what I would do in a plane that's crashing if I didn't have a parachute.
>>
>>633597
you dumb ni66er just the fact that I know how to slice meat for smoking would have saved me over him all other things being equal.
that guy was trying to commit suicide and he did it.
>>
>>633452
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he withdraw his savings and burn it?
>>
>>633642

He donated it to interracial charity like a good little white kuck
>>
I would have nailed his sister if I was him.
>>
Hey look its a McShitless thread #738426

Fuck the media for giving him more attention than he deserves.
>>
>>633645
And double for Obama!
>>
>>633419
When you're smart enough to see that starving to death is a better alternative to having to live around greed and corruption, the obvious answer is to get as far away for civilization as possible.
>>
>>633643
We had to watch the god awful movie when I was in highschool... I swear I remember him burning his license and money.
>>
>>633642
>>633656

Did both.

In the film he donates $24k to Oxfam and takes the remaining c. $500 with him.

Then he burns that, for no apparent reason.
>>
>>633683
he had $24k i thought he was supposed to be a richfag.
maybe i'm a richfag...
>>
>>633685

If you're a richfag you'd give 1k to a random stranger on the internet.
>>
>>633688
sorry to disappoint i have a policy against charity
>>
>>633597
You're missing the point. I didn't say I'd be shit in the alaskan wilderness. I specifically said I would have done better... See the below two posts...

>>633602
>>633608
>>
>>633683

>oxfam

Literally- we do more harm than good: the charity
>>
>>633683
He had ~$300 on his corpse when it was found. He didn't burn all of his money, or his ID...that was movie BS. He kept some cash and his social security card.

If I were in McCandless' position I'd have crossed the river on the easily reachable hand tram, which was marked on his map. I'd know it was there when he didn't, because I can read a map and he could not.
>>
>>633685
24k in savings is pretty decent for being just out of college.
>>
>>634346
Also, his family was middle to upper middle class but it's not like they were multi-millionaires or anything. I'm not sure where people get that from.
>>
>>633655
dubs for the tipping fedora
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.