[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you usually say hi to strangers you meet on the trails while
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 20
File: MG_3398.jpg (235 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
MG_3398.jpg
235 KB, 900x600
Do you usually say hi to strangers you meet on the trails while hiking? Is it even normal? Recently met a couple on the route, sad "hey", they walked silently by stairing with surprise, like "wtf"? I guess there is some kind of an "outdoor rule" not to bother hikers and let em be totally by themselves with nature, am I right?
>>
Depends. Are you from murica?
>>
>>632568
Eye contact, head nod, "Hi," sometimes conversation. Bail out at any point if not reciprocated.
>>
>>632570
No, swedfag actually...
>>
I usually nod and say "hi", most at least reciprocate, sometimes we strike up a brief conversation about trail conditions or the weather.
>>
>>632568
Always smile and say Hi
Canadian here and never had someone act weird on a trail
>>
>>632572
Yeah, I nod. Maybe a gooday or pass on any warnings etc about the trail etc.
>>
Is there some rule that every gay thread you start has a fat cunt in it?
>>
>>632583
I think she's pregnant....
>>
I ride a motorcycle and it's always the Harley people who don't wave, the BMW people are also snobs.

>Harley and BMW owner here who doesn't wave and is a snob.
>>
File: g2DQgr5.jpg (64 KB, 960x699) Image search: [Google]
g2DQgr5.jpg
64 KB, 960x699
In my experience it seems to be more common to greet each other the further away from civilization one gets.
Saying hello to stranger on the street = weird
Same thing in the forest = acceptable

When hiking in the mountains you always say hi to people coming the other direction on the trail, even on the most busy trails.
>>
>>632583
Bruh, she's preggy. Always had really warm conversations with ppl I met in most of my adventures and surely it has been one of the important things that fill your trip with good memories. Lots of times from simple conv we'd join together for accents or long hikes, it happened so much times. It's funny but since these guys I acted the same, and honestly it was a bit sad hearing that really warm greeting and simply walking by)
>>
I always say hello, but I usually don't see anyone else on my trips. Some people give me strange rooms, especially if I have a gun, but most reciprocate. US here.
>>
>>632568
I often say hello but not always and I never get awkward stares or responses.

Sometimes I'll throw in a tidbit about trail conditions like "saw a black bear sow with a cub about 2 km up the trail FYI"
>>
Smile and say hi, just common courtesy.
Some woman got weird with me when I smiled, said hi and asked about her dogs since they were off their leashes and coming up to me to investigate and get the ear scratches.
My guess would be city person who isn't used to social people.
>>
>>632595
>When hiking in the mountains you always say hi to people coming the other direction on the trail, even on the most busy trails.
this
>>
>>632617
While hiking in the alps this might be a bit awkward since you never know what language you should use
>>
>>632574
fuck dom då. of course you greet strangers in that situation
>>
>>632617
It's the same with driving mountain roads ( not paved ones you soft cunts)
>>
>>632622
dont matter, just say hi in whatever way you want
>>
File: adelepain.png (402 KB, 733x378) Image search: [Google]
adelepain.png
402 KB, 733x378
What if you're on drugz?!?! WHAT THEN
>>
>>632639
Ask them how that leprechaun keeps getting ahead of you on the trail.
>>
Are all you fuckers from anti social countries? Med master race, if you say something to fellow /out/doorsy people they will talk to you.
>>
>>632639
Then I call the rangers and give them your description.
>>
>>632570
People in southern states will say hey to you. Or at least wave.
>>
>>632612
You should have pepper sprayed them and then sprayed her.
>>
>hey, how's it goin?
>>
I'll try to talk to pregnant chicks, ask them about the father and ask them if it's true they can have as much sex as they want and not get more pregnant and ask them if I can feel thier bellies and ask them where they're staying and if they're alone and stuff, just to break the ice.
>>
>>632721
Damn dude you're really good with women
>>
I normally just smile and/or nod. If they say hi I'll respond in kind, but conversing is not normally my goal while /out/.

Also, I tell people relevant information. For instance, when I hiked past a fresh deer carcass on a trail I warned folks heading towards it to make sure they didn't startle a bear at it.
>>
>>632568
for some people it's a courtesy to not disturb the tranquility of nature. At least when I was in Finland people very much gave you a lot of personal space. I'm Canadian and we'd probably just nod and pass.
>>
>>632578

Did you say sorry that you where on the trail?
>>
File: 1363068714032.gif (1013 KB, 425x319) Image search: [Google]
1363068714032.gif
1013 KB, 425x319
>>632681

The power rangers?
>>
unwashed neckbeard here. i'm 6'4 and look like an edgy psycho and tend to walk with my small axe in my hand just staring at people i pass. highly antisocial

now I cant say for certain but a jogging women stopped midtracks and ran away from me which was hilarious, after a while my spider senses kicked in and i jumped on my bike i stash near my spot and sped away like crazy, afterwards, 30 minutes, helicopter was buzzing over forest and i was at my balcony watching it.

didnt bother to check the news but i think there was a high probability of massive police enforcement.

I sometimes wear a spooky mask and order hotdogs from gasoline store. tend to freak shopkeep out as I casually buy something to eat.
>>
>>632892

K.. keep me posted
>>
I look ugly and mad after 20 miles hike in alpine area, my voice and facial expressions are creepy and dodgy so no wonder if pipps gonna act weird
>>
>>632892
lol
>>
>>632892
Reminds me of the tactical shopper I first spotted at walmart. I see him around town all the time now.

He always wears all black with a do-rag, a reflective safety vest, and drop holster full of pens.
>>
>>632892
so antisocial that you specifically seek our interactions with people where you act like a retard. you're not antisocial, just fucking retarded.
>>
I hike miles upon miles into the bush, mainly because going to wilder areas is my only way to gey away from people. Not that I hate my own species, it just gets exhausting having to be around so many crowds on a daily basis.

If I see someone on the trails, I'll nod and occasionally give them pointers on specific areas. But if it extends to them following me and trying to be buddies, I'll rarely reciprocate. As I said above, going to the woods is necessary for my mental and spiritual wellness. I might be an asshole, but the last thing I want to see is some weekend warrior blindly romping through the underbrush with ACDC blaring on his cellphone.
>>
I typically get bad vibes from people who don't even nod back. The least they could do is tell me to fuck off. But that's just me.
>>
I used to hike Zion a lot. Eurofags there were usually the unfriendly ones. Burgers were usually friendly and would let you know about anything cool/dangerous in the direction they came from.
>>
>>633027
I refuse to believe you until you provide pics
>>
>>632568
Depends on the trail. Something with lots of hikers, I might nod and if they say hi, say it back. On more remote trails, I'll initiate a greeting. The only thing that's weird for me is when I come upon someone from behind. I don't want to startle them but also don't want to silently creep behind them either.
>>
>>633607
I've gotten bad vibes from people on trails twice. The sort where its like "you gotta get the fuck away from this person ASAP". Both times I was with at least one other person and both times they felt it too. Very weird and spooky to be in alone the woods and to get that feeling.
>>
>>633607

I'm with you there. I don't really care about your answer, just give me something. How much would nodding hurt you?
>>
>>632568
No, because I don't hike on "trails"

I will never understand Americans and your obsessions with walking on trails. Why not just go into the wild? Why must you be in close proximity to people all the time?

>hello, my trailname is Squattin-Skyler what is yours
>I am wranglestar. Want to share my trailmix with m&ms and deep fried butter noodles
>>
>>633607
>>634029

> hello!
> fuck off

wowbadvibes.jpg

> at least they said something!

ifyoucantsaysomethingnice.mpeg

> nope, they're a-holes!

Can't have it both ways, anons.
>>
>>632595
in my village, saying hi to people in the streets is totally normal.
>>
>>632568
Can we get more preggos /out/ pics?

I have been fapping to op pic for several days and have a new fetish!

> inb4 /hc/ preggo threads

Those girls aren't /out/.
>>
>>634043
Please do not encourage the disgusting breeders.
>>
>>632584
that's no excuse
>>
File: morphinetime.jpg (37 KB, 800x566) Image search: [Google]
morphinetime.jpg
37 KB, 800x566
>>632866
fuck da police
>>
>>632568
Ok, I can only speak for central Europe. When you wear any type of army gear or tacticool stuff make sure to greet everyone on the trail to make sure they know you are a friendly and kind person. If you look like a neon sign in Las Vegas greeting people that greet you should suffice. If in doubt say "hello". Never say anything to bicyclist as they look over their should to return the favor and drive into a tree.
>>
File: IMG_1748.jpg (4 MB, 6704x2474) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1748.jpg
4 MB, 6704x2474
I always say "hello" (bonjour in french) to everyone I encounter while hiking. Even if there's a lot of people. And if it's someone I've already saw, i say "hi again". But some city people or tourist don't always respond, some even try to avoid eye contact. But In france and Norway where I hiked, most people would say hi. The more remote the place is, nicer peolpe are.

And since I'm a leave no trace kind of guy, I always follow the trail because if everyone would go his own way, the mountain would look like a city park and so I always encounter new faces.
>>
>>633626
I will try next time I see him.
>>
I've never really had this issue. I'm kind of a reclusive guy so usually it's other people who say hi first. Obviously I respond, exchange info about the trail if there's something people should know
>>
>>634062
Faggot
>>
>>632862
I think if you don't acknowledge someone else in nature it will probably disturb them more. Best to give a warm smile and say "hi" but keep moving along, pass on good feels
>>
>>632721
I just ask if I can feel thier hair.
>>
>>632568
no i avoid them at all costs
they usually keep to the trails i usually don't sometimes i see them but never talk to them
>>
>saying hi on remote, secluded trails
Polite and semi-obligatory.

>saying hi to the 600 tourists you pass in the first 0.5 mi from the parking lot in a popular national park
Fuck that.
>>
>>632568
If it's a dude I usually nod and grunt.
>>
>>632568

I am usually naked and smeared in a fragrant mixture of mud and my own feces in an effort to entice lady sasquatches so I steer clear of normies who wouldn't understand
>>
>on business trip in Portland Oregon.
>decide to see some of the water falls some are 3 to 6 miles in up hillsides.
>grew up in Appalachia think no problem
>hike 6 miles in with suit and tie to see awesome as fuck waterfall.
>pass by 2 hippie looking hikers say hello and smile
>ignore and walk right by me

Fuck that guy and girl.
>>
>>634031
You don't seem to understand that in thew US there are 10's of thousands of miles of trails most of which you will never see another person on. Try going off trail in the Appalachians and you will find more difficult than in your small europoor country. You have no conception of scale.
>>
>>632568
In the USA the more remote the trail the more you talk.

Busy trail = say nothing
Less frequent trail = hey/ hello / good day
in the back woods = small talk
inna inna woods = life story
>>
>>634031
>>hello, my trailname is Squattin-Skyler what is yours
>>I am wranglestar. Want to share my trailmix with m&ms and deep fried butter noodles

that's just Appalachian trail hippie bullshit. The AT is not representative of American hiking or camping in the slightest.
>>
>>632704
Kek
>>
>>635442
>Try going off trail in the Appalachians and you will find more difficult than in your small europoor country. You have no conception of scale.

I looked it up. It is miniscule. Definitely not wilderness.
>>
File: Greatvalley-map[1].png (66 KB, 624x637) Image search: [Google]
Greatvalley-map[1].png
66 KB, 624x637
>>635505
you looked up the entirety of the Appalachians region in 2 hours? are you fucking retarded ? fucking eurotrash.
>>
>>635461
Good to know
>>
>>632574
>>632568

Ive been hiking and canoing in sweden and everybody always greats me with a "heej du" or what it is in swedish.

A little wierd at first when you are out in the middle of a lake and that one other guy is canoing towards you for ~20min and the whole things climax at the "Hallo - Hallo" and you never see him again.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-08-11-07-22-21.png (164 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-08-11-07-22-21.png
164 KB, 320x480
>>635435
> suit and tie
> not asking for Grey Poupon

Pleb, get on my level!
>>
>>632578
Yep, Canadian here as lwell

Basically everyone says hello on a trail
>>
>>635480
>trailnames
fucking pretentious hipster hippie shit.
I literally can not watch any documentary or other videos about the AT because they will not fuckign ever fail to make some big fucking stupid deal out of "trail names".
Jesus fuckign christ you hiked a trail. you dont need some made up fuckign name for your "inner trail-animal" alter ego for fuck sakes.
>>
>>635783
I do.

Moon Lizard reporting.
>>
>>632721
> feel thier bellies

Whelp, it's an icebreaker for sure!
>>
>>632598
Yeahifuckingwonderwhysnyonewoulddothat
>>
>>632622
The universal langauge:

Sincere smile, eye contant, check out thier tits and nod at the dudes knowingly.

Nary a word be spoken!
>>
>>635797
Well you should wonder, giving someone 'strange' looks just because he is carrying a gun on the trail is irrational.
>>
>>635800
> Americentric viewpoint

Many International posters, anon.

But I'm an AZ anon and I see open carry in supermarkets, drugstores and sidewalks. Nothing wierd about it for me.

> feelsgoodman.mpeg
>>
>>635803
I am not an American, I still wouldn't assume a guy carrying a rife in the woods was some kind of crazy person.
>>
Why wouldn't you acknowledge the existence of another human when you both meet, however briefly, in the ass-end of nowhere?

Doesn't have to be a meet-and-greet, just nod and say hello. Otherwise you come off as some sort of weirdo.

If you're Scandinavian, though, I understand. you people ARE weirdos.
>>
>>632595
I'm in Columbus. I have found that this one of only a handful of cities I've been to where people greet strangers on the street. It was weird as a little kid to go to another big city and not have people smiling and chatting with each other
>>
My confidence broke into pieces when I found out people refered me to as "The forest rapist". I don't know why they call me that, I just like nature and spend most of my time there.
>>
>>635461
Also USA, basically this.

Then is small towns it'common to wave at strangers in passing cars while you're driving.

> Forefinger off the wheel = I may not like you, but you're not a total a-hole
> two fingers = hi
> three fingers = howdy friend
> four fingers = hope your cows, pigs, kids, momma's alright
> full hand wave = hey baby!
>>
>>635784

Ugh! I can't. I just can't.

You couldn't reinforce the patriarchy more if you tried, you disgusting, pale-skinned, straight cis-male! You're appropriating indigenous cultures and their naming conventions.

Check your privilege, shitlord.
>>
>>635829
Maybe you should diversify and rape I the city as well
>>
>>635838
you type like a total faggot
>>
>>635849
> mfw I have one finger for you
>>
>>635783
My trail name is faggot.

>t-thanks dad
>>
>>635839
Pretty much born in the USA so I am THE INDIGINOUS CULTURE!

I don't appropriate shit! My trail name is original and I have quite a trail reputation and trail people love me!

MORE THAN YOU!

What will your trail name be, if you ever get /out/?

You don't even say, "Hi...", do you?

Most trail people hate people like you.
>>
>>635829
I know what you mean bro. People call me "the rapist" or "pedophile". Some people are just awful.
>>
>>636158
I have built 17 bridges, you'd think they would call me Angus the Bridge Builder, but no! You fuck ONE goat...
>>
Usually when I do trailwork, people dont say shit to the work crew. They seem to avoid us at all costs. Does everyone think we're prisoners on work release?
>>
>>636182

Really? Me and my hiking friends always bring some clif bars or some shit just for whenever we run into yall workers. So far I've had nothing but good chats and most other passers-by say hello or thanks to the trail workers. Which state do you work in then?
>>
AT Thru Hikers are the fucking worst. I thought people who hiked the trail would have interesting stories to tell. Instead they're all unemployed 20-somethings who nickname eachother "Sunbear" and "Cupcake" on a quest to find themselves or some other such nonsense. I avoid them like the plague.

You can meet interesting people in the off season though.
>>
File: steens-kiger.jpg (998 KB, 2100x1510) Image search: [Google]
steens-kiger.jpg
998 KB, 2100x1510
>>634031
>>635442
>>635505
>>635511

Am a different anon. I hike on trails becuase:
1) Trails usually are formed because they lead to a some location of interest. I go hiking to see specific destinations (waterfalls, viewpoints, hot springs, caves, another campsite). Generally speaking if I want to go somewhere there's already a trail that leads to it, and if there isnt a trail its probably not somewhere I want to take my time to go to.
2) I dont like "blazing a trail" through the mountains. I dont want to be the dipshit on the news who tried hiking up a steep mountainface and rolled his ankle on lose rocks and had to be carried out by the local burger patrol becuase Im "too eurobro" to walk on established trails.
3) If you dont think some sections of the Appalacians arent wilderness, why not look at some of the places in the midwest? Montana has some of the most secluded places in the country with absolutely gorgeous mountains. Places around Durango, CO have some the most awesome waterfalls, gorges, and swimming holes in the state. I just got back from the Steens in OR which are the most rural mountains in the northwest (100 miles from a gas station type stuff). There are a ton of places in the US you could still consider "the wild"
4) Most of the time when I hike, I rarely see a soul.

I think most of your arguments are based on the fact youve never been hiking in the US before.

My trail name is Freedom Eagle btw.
>>
File: threadsucks.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
threadsucks.gif
3 MB, 200x150
Wow you guys have
>SOCIAL ANXIETY
This whole board has triggers and disorders.

run
>>
>>635570
Ditto. Even on somewhat busy trails (like you'll run into people every 30 minutes) people will still say hello.
>>
>>636221
Well, I'm not sure Europeans go off trail so much. Europe is way smaller than USA, and it means that the wild places are much smaller and crowded. The only time people go "off trail", is when there isn't any, like in a lot of alpisnism (mountaineering) route where you just have an approach trail and then it's all rock and climb. Or on a glacier, where ice fall and cracks change the path everyday. But when it comes to hiking, here in France, 95% is done on trails, and there's a trail to go everywhere. And also it's really not cool to go off trail because almost all the land is farm land or pasture so it means you're destroying a farmer work when you go in the middle of the fields.

I've always more pictured the "off trail" people as Canadians or Americans in the desert or in huge forest, where there's no one around and no particular place to go, like flatland and such.

I might be wrong, but even in norway everyone wad on a trail.
>>
"Good morning"
"Good evening"
"HI"
>>
File: megatronvisitssouthafrica.jpg (66 KB, 600x588) Image search: [Google]
megatronvisitssouthafrica.jpg
66 KB, 600x588
>>632721
10/10 would scout for knocked up hiking pussy with.
>>
File: 20140830_162918.jpg (958 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20140830_162918.jpg
958 KB, 2048x1152
I great about 90% of the people I go by while hiking. It's a good habit to do because people will remember you if you actually take the time to say something to them and if you end up lost innawoods and reports come out looking your dumbass then those people you said hi to before will give some information about your possible whereabouts.

I also find that people are far more friendlier and happier when they're on a trail. For the most part they're there on their own accord so they will probably be in a good mood and it becomes easier to share those small moments with a stranger when you know you have a common interest. Unlike if you started randomly talking to someone on the street.
>>
>>636259
Greet*
>>
>>633607
If somebody ignored me when i said hi to them on a trail, i would be suspicious of them. Especially if it was remote
>>
>>636221
Hi, Freedom Eagle!

I am Moon Lizard, nice to meet you!
>>
A nod will do for me
>>
Always got to give out a G'day on the trail m8s anything less i rude tbqh family
>>
>>636221
>the local burger patrol becuase Im "too eurobro"

what the hell kind of lingo is this
>>
>>632586
I've always seen brief eye contact as plenty greeting. A nod is almost patronising. Saying hello is a gift for friends.
>>
>>636334
You might have issues if you interpret a gesture of respect as patronising.
>>
>>636354
What has any given random passerby done to earn my respect? Let's start with eye contact.

Eyes say more about your soul than how low you bow. If you're interested in being respectful then keep on bowing. If you want to know the truth about a person? Look into their eyes. Maybe he's the Dali lama, maybe he's a serial killer, maybe he's your long lost twin.

A head nod is a small bow. A slippery slope to being that guy who kisses the road awaits your respect.

BTW keep your clinical diagnosis to yourself, fag
>>
>>636379
So you have severe issues, got it. The other alternative is that you are just deliberately rude to people for no reason.

Also are you so incompetent you cannot nod your head to someone while keeping eye contact?
>>
>>635807
You sound overly paranoid friend.
At least you're not one of those people who are afraid of unloaded guns just sitting there in a home or something, those people are nuts.
>>
>>635816
If we're talking Ohio, yes people greet each other everywhere basically.
Even driving and stopping at a red light you wave to each other sometime, half the time I'm walking by a road someone will wave by.
Pretty comfy desu senpai, I know a guy from a foreign country where strangers hardly even make eye contact, he loves it here.
>>
>>635816
fellow ohiofag here, cbus is cool as long as its not after dark and someone asks you to break a 20.
>>
>>636379
sociopath detected.
>>
>>636488
Also an ohiofag here, you couldn't summarize cbus better. Spent last weekend there
>>
>>635435
Portland here, I apologize, the natives are restless. Population is at a steep incline and the city is developing a unreasonable cost of living. You are welcome to the forest, it won't judge you.
>>
>>634042
Like he said the farther from civilization you get the less weird it is. City people are assholes, country people are usually pretty nice.
>>
>>632568
Just went hunting in Northern Nevada
Every waves or says hi, most people would stop and have a chat about where they have seen elk and their luck
>>
>>632622
nah man even when driving on roads just raise your hand like a wave
>>
>>636221
>My trail name is
>trail name

hipster hippy faggot detected
>>
>>636182
>Does everyone think we're prisoners on work release?
yes. you should be kept in chains criminal scum.
>>
In So. California here. People are usually shit here when it comes to courtesy but I notice older folks will say hi, even if you're a colored person. Younger people don't really care to say hi.
>>
>>632568
New Zealand here. I greet everyone I walk past, even in town. On a track I'll say g'day and even have some bants about how that track is, or the weather.

Be a decent human, you know.
>>
>>632568
>>632570
England here.

Talking to strangers is a complicated subject and I won't go into it but basically people in villages will greet each other. That's because they're out walking their dog or going for a walk and are not in a hurry. People in towns and cities don't greet each other.

Hikers probably greet each other too here.
>>
>>632568

Scotland here, we stop and talk for at least a few minutes. Ask where a nice site may be, how long you've both been out, offer food and something to drink.

People out for a walk here are really friendly, even close to larger cities like Glasgow.
>>
File: 1365452458_berem1(1).jpg (119 KB, 1600x1050) Image search: [Google]
1365452458_berem1(1).jpg
119 KB, 1600x1050
Being outdoor can easily turn into some major disaster like 127 hours story for example... predators, snakes, spiders, maniacs and lots of other things that can turn you into disabled dying poor thing, and that's when you'll be praying to meet anyone to help you, even people who you hasitated to say hi.
>>
>>632568
It's a habit from old times, when accidents often happened on roads, whether wild beast attacks or robbers.

People saluted each other, to state they had no intention of doing anything and were just passing by, to eventually warn them of upcoming dangers on the road, and also to acknowledge each other's existence, so that if someone was to disappear, they would remind having met that someone and have a vague estimate of where he/she disappeared.

Those habits aren't quite as necessary as they used to, but they're still good habits.
>>
File: m.jpg (220 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
220 KB, 1000x750
I work at a State Park, patrolling the main trails to the summit. It's become muscle memory to ask every hiker, whether I'm working or not, "How's it going?" always ended with a "Take care"
>>
>>637221
Fucking nosy gov.bot!

Just leave me the fuck alone, I don't go hiking so you can get a status report for your agency profile report.

Everbody just needs to mind thier own fucking business! Leave me alone!
>>
>>637221
What do you look for? Dead bodies? Rockslides? Aliens?
>>
>>637224
Your comment has been registered subject 012458909-X82. Take care. :-)

>>637237
We're a very beginner tier mountain near Boston/NYC so we get a lot of people who have never hiked before. It's half interpretative ranger, half search and rescue.

We have a deforested summit (pic) so a lot of people have trouble staying on the trail despite the obsessive amount of paint blazes and cairns. We spend a lot of time tracking down lost hikers and getting them back on trail. Fairly often we're first responders in the event that someone gets hurt.

>Dead bodies?
Happens about once a year on average... so sometimes.

It's also basic rule enforcement that you hardly need anywhere else:
>Hey there little buddy, please don't throw rocks, there could be someone down there
>Hey PAL, you can't chisel your name on the summit
>No, you can't leave your banana peel on the summit, that's called littering

Sometimes I feel like a pool lifeguard. Most people are cool though, I love the job.
>>
>>637249
>No, you can't leave your banana peel on the summit, that's called littering

Lobbing a banana skin in a bush or something is alright isn't it? It'll decompose quickly right?
>>
>>637249
won't banana peels decompose?
>>
>>637250
>>637251

If you were to take your banana peel out into the woods, toss it in a little depression in the ground and cover it with some leaves, not an issue IMO, but other rangers might disagree.

But the summit of our mountain is an alpine environment, it'll probably take 1-2 years for it to decompose. Now factor in 150,000+ people climbed this mountain this year and you're going to have a disgusting summit.
>>
>>637254
I'm imagining a mountain summit covered with 150,000 banana skins now desu.

Also you said you find a dead body once a year. That seems unusually high. What's the cause of death? Broken neck?
>>
>>637254
yeah thats a lot of bananas
I just felt bad because I left some bananas on a mountain by a plant
Next time I'll throw it by some trees and cover it
>>
>>637255
Sorry, I should have clarified that we generally don't find dead bodies, but rather there is usually one death per year.

Heart attack has been the most common. It's a common destination for families so you get people who are not in shape pushing themselves to keep up with the rest of their party.

But there have been other causes like traumatic brain injuries or suicide.

>>637259
The way I see it you just have to encourage rot. Place it where it will stay damp and the bugs/bacteria can get at it.
>>
>>637261
How large an area do you oversee? Do you spend time alone or do you work with other rangers?
>>
File: 0_7491c_adae268d_orig.jpg (576 KB, 1600x1087) Image search: [Google]
0_7491c_adae268d_orig.jpg
576 KB, 1600x1087
>>637261
Do you have your own secret paths/spots where you can creep hikers when they're alone?
>>
>>637262
It's a small park, maybe 5000~ acres but 90% of use is on 2 trails that go directly to the summit, 4~ miles round trip.

>>637262
Usually paired, there's 3 of us that go up regularly. If we need assistance with a rescue we radio up more rangers from park HQ and put a call out to Fish and Game. There is also a large crew of volunteers who cycle in and out to help, especially during Fall foliage season.

>>637264
We have a lot of hidden spots and abandoned trails which we use liberally. Can't say I've ever creeped on a hiker(s) but I do overhear a lot of interesting conversations.
>>
>>632568
I hike throughout the mountain parks in Phoenix AZ and people say hello or wave about 75% of the time
>>
People say hi but I prefer to reply with something bizarre and memorable (occasionally accompanied by a little dance) so they can better help S&R if I go missing. I also wear very elaborate and contrasting colors. I won't just be another anonymous and forgotten face.
>>
File: lesko1.jpg (216 KB, 850x1280) Image search: [Google]
lesko1.jpg
216 KB, 850x1280
>>637341
???????Mr.Lesko, we're so happy to have you in our humble /out/ comunity?????????
>>
>>637341
> hello anon

> PICKLE!!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR ME?? I SAID PICKLE!!!!!!!
>>
The weirdest thing that ever happened to me was that I saw a guy jacking off in the middle of nowhere in Michigan.
>>
>>632568
I always say hi. Then again, I'm the sort of weirdo to talk to strangers in the lobby or airport gate.
>>
>>632568
i always say hi. usually you can see each other coming from way down a trail, so ignoring each other when you finally meet is awkward and rude. fuck people who feel entitled enough to be in their own little bubble and not even have the courtesy to say hi
>>
>>638517
Same. Say at least "hi" to everybody, maybe more if their body language suggests that it's ok. One more thing, everytime I go to WV and camp out around there, all the locals wave if I go by on a motorbike or something, I return the favor. At the very least, it puts everyone a little more at ease. And weeds out people like >>636379, who I wouldn't trust to piss me out if I was on fire.
>>
>>632568

>what do you say to strangers on the trail

Leer at them silently while running my finger over the edge of my axe
>>
>>632622
Pretty sure Ciao is a universal greeting throughout Europe.
Plus everyone knows what hello, hallo, guten tag, bonjour or buongiorno mean anyway
>>
People usually say hi here in AZ, foreigners less likely especially in touristy areas.

Once a friend and I were pretty happy on shrooms on a hiking/biking trail, I had finally calmed my friend down from a fit of hysteria, and something (aka nothing) draw oir attention. An old lady on her bike came up and asked if we saw a mountain lion, to which I bumbled out some thing like "naw but this looks like a trail" and we chitchated, but when the brief conversation died she looked at us and said "So... you two, uh hiking?" to which I way too confidently responded "Yep, uh yeah, just doing some, yknow, yknow, walk through the forest." She was pretty creeped out and I chuckled like a madman when she left.
>>
Sometimes when I say hi or any greeting and people clearly heard me but blew me off I say "Or I guess not" as I pass them.
>>
>>637182
OP asked about hiking, if you see someone while hiking here you 100% say hello
>>
>>639031
> muh unrealized expectations
> saying hi with conditions
> hello, obligation implied
> ok, well fuck you anyway

Ok, I can sense your sincerity from here.
>>
>>632568

>Britfag here

Whenever I'm running or hiking I always get a cheeky hello and a wave in, simply because I'm that devilish
>>
File: 1431229088120.jpg (51 KB, 590x826) Image search: [Google]
1431229088120.jpg
51 KB, 590x826
>>636379
>>636334
AUTISM
U
T
I
S
M
>>
>>639059
A cyclist went Past me in the London streets and I got a "fat boy" in a snide way.

I go to rural areas in Sussex and I see the lovliest people talking and conversation with me.

Fuck the government.

Urban
>>
>>632568
Slovenian here.

In the mountainous terrain and far out from any village it's common to say hi if you meet someone on the trail.
It's even common to stop and chat about the path on both ends of the trail and the weather. That kind of information is important.
>>
>>632704

dont forget to magdump or bodyslam
>>
>>639018
what? no
>>
>>639198
This. You're like the guy who says "excuse you!"
>>
>>632568
Don't be shy
Say hi
To those passing by
>>
>>639018

Keep that slimespeak to the south.
Universal would probably be English, unless you meet a frog, because frogs don't understand that nobody except them, mountain bankers and their old colonies speak frog.
>>
>>639198
Fair enough, I am kind of a narcissist.
>>
There isn't a rule, some people just don't like you.
>>
File: le evil greeting man.png (297 KB, 353x337) Image search: [Google]
le evil greeting man.png
297 KB, 353x337
i always greet people like in pic related but they always call me nazi
what am i doing wrong
>>
>>640782
I hope that my green text can help you understand that sometimes "nothing" is better than "something that comes with conditions"?

> here is a gift, but you have to use it as I say

> bell ring?

A simple "herro" should not come with expectations or obligations that unmet, disable your original, honest intentions.

Makes sense, yes?
>>
>>637255
>
They slip on banana peels and fall off the summit.
>>
>>635807
>wouldn't
>>
>>632568
I'm from Southern California and it all depends. I usually say hi unless they're not looking at me.
Most people say hello or good morning/afternoon here, but of course there are the few that are assholes and ignore you.
Then theres the crazy people who are just mumbling to themselves the entire time.
>>
>>632568
You have to stare at a person until you make eye contact, at which point you say 'hi' or give them a nod, if they don't make eye contact it probably means they're in a hurry and therefore don't want to talk to you.
>>
>>637848
it was probably one of the fuckers that frequents this board
Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.