[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /out/ think of going innawoods barefoot?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: vebach.jpg (87 KB, 577x725) Image search: [Google]
vebach.jpg
87 KB, 577x725
what does /out/ think of going innawoods barefoot?
>>
Hippie nonsense
>>
File: 1447433280829.jpg (2 MB, 2267x3000) Image search: [Google]
1447433280829.jpg
2 MB, 2267x3000
>>629825
the irish did it all the time
>>
>>629828
Hippi nonsense
>>
>>629829
ur mum is hippy nonsense
seriously though, just give me a real reason, assuming the clime allows for it
>>
File: Hookworm_LifeCycle.gif (21 KB, 579x435) Image search: [Google]
Hookworm_LifeCycle.gif
21 KB, 579x435
>>629822

Yeah, no thanks.
>>
>>629831
>not fucking those worms in their boypussies
fag
>>
>>629825
/thread
>>
>>629830
Give me a real reason to go barefoot that doesn't involve "being more in tune nature" which as stated above, is hippie nonsense.
>>
>>629825
/thread
>>
>>629838
/thread
>>
>>629839
culture
>>
>>629844
Knock yourself out then.
>>
>>629845
k
>>
my dad is the greatest woodsman i know. he says hunting barefoot is the way to go. assuming the weather is right
>>
>>629844
>culture
>dirt poor peasants that can afford shoes
>trendy hipster faggots copt this because muh autismbux
>>
File: 16th-century-Irish.jpg (67 KB, 525x729) Image search: [Google]
16th-century-Irish.jpg
67 KB, 525x729
>>629848
the irish nobility never wore shoes either
>>
>>629848
This. Remember the barefoot running craze from a few years back? I'd love to know how many pairs of vibram five fingers are collecting dust in closets now.
>>
>>629850
never heard of this. i dont want to start a trend
>>
File: vibram fivefingers.jpg (38 KB, 600x442) Image search: [Google]
vibram fivefingers.jpg
38 KB, 600x442
>>629851
This book called Born to Run came out that touted the benefits of running barefoot. Not that there isn't some merit to it but it led to people spending way too much money on these things.
>>
>>629854
but i already have bare feet
why would i need to buy them?
Anyway, its not worth it if you cant feel the grass beneath your toes
>>
>>629849
>16th century propaganda created by the Catholic church to prevent the common peasants from rising up against the ruling class in the great rebellion of the shoeless
>>
>>629856
Exactly. Total waste of money but all the big footwear brands were putting out their own versions of minimalist shoes.
>>
>>629857
that drawing was made by an englishman and published in england
>>629859
well, im not rich. i just find shoes uncomfortable, realize there are health benefits of it, understand its part of my irish heritage and like the way it feels.
>>
>>629860
Fair enough. I'm either barefoot or in sandals as much as possible myself. Just not when I'm running or innawoods.
>>
>>629861
i wear sandals in towns, and go barefoot anywhere else. i dont want glass in my toes either
>>
>>629822

I do it. I am always on my feet, always having to wear boots. It is nice to be bare footed for once.
>>
>>629847 >>629839

I can agree here. It's much easier to walk silently that with shoes or boots on.

I live in a semi-tropical area and work on boats a lot, so I don't wear shoes half the time.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6000655
>>
unless you're some indian tracker trying to feel the vibrations of the buffalo herd, barefoot innawoods is retarded.

I'm a big fan of sandals and flip flops. I'm not into having sweaty feet.
>>
>>629822
Ever went up some mountains or rocky hills? Ever jumped down onto hard or jagged surfaces? Ever had to carry a heavy load? Ever crawled or climbed? Ever did all of those things in a single day? Then you might need boots.

If you are just going to take a short relaxing walk in the field, then barefoot is fine, but any serious innawoods trips where you might encounter adverse conditions and carrying loads requires boots.
>>
>>629860
>I do stupid things cause muh heritage
Do you know how fuckin dumb that is?
Do you also drink to much and beat your wife? After all, it's part of your irish heritage.
>>
>>629912
*too
Faggot, lrn2engrish.
>>
>>629822
I think it's a great way to acquire more parasites in and on your body, if you're into that.
>>
Your feet should be protected at all costs.
>>
>>629854
nearly puked my breakfast
>>
>>629831
how does it go foot to mouth?
>>
>>629844
Being poor isn't a culture....
>>
>>629822
I think hippies should be gassed.
>>
>>629948

You don't need gas anon. They will all die from infection after cutting there foot on glass.
>>
>>629822
i like it but where i live it's impossible, not because of climate, which is actually great, but because going /out/ without closed shoes is just asking for a rattlesnake bite
>>
File: canyon-180.jpg (372 KB, 800x289) Image search: [Google]
canyon-180.jpg
372 KB, 800x289
Barefoot, innadesert?

Dats cray.
>>
>>629922

You know that actually doesn't happen. Long as you're not touching your feet and not washing your hands.
>>
>>630013
B-but The CDC said so!?!
>>
File: IMG_20151011_131006.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151011_131006.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
March through Oct, ever day.

> except when hiking
>>
>>629822
that chick just couldn't find any shoes that fit her gargantuan feet
>>
File: 1422686344380.png (330 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1422686344380.png
330 KB, 500x374
>>629962
>>
No gimmicks and no shit

I started ditching shoes about 14 years ago as a student- I was doing an industry placement at the time, and got to spend 9 months sailing deep sea on a chemical tanker. After spending all day clomping around the engine room in a pair of steel toecapped boots at 50 degrees it kinda became my 'thing' to be able to walk around with 'free' feet. I graduated, and became a marine engineer, the pattern repeated. As I was spending 6 months of the year a time on ship, it translated over to being at home too. Over the course of a couple of years my feet became marvellously tough and resilient, I could ( and still can) walk pretty much anything bar broken glass. The same goes in that I wear shorts all year round too, no matter the weather. You just sort of 'get used to it' I'm perfectly comfortable walking around Llanberis in a pair of sandals, shorts and a long sleeve tee, whilst my wife is shivering in a pair of boots, long trousers, and a jacket

Now things are slightly different, I'll wear shoes if I really have to, but for the most part it's sandals as the UK climate is so shitty and wet- and therein lies the secret. Keep the soles of your feet warm and dry- and the rest is toasty warm and fine. From late spring to early autumn it's not unusual to have seen me barefoot everywhere from home to the beach, even the top of Tryfan in years gone by (sandals to get up there mind) I'll take some form of footwear to get where I'm going a lot of the time, but as soon as I'm there it comes off and I'm barefoot until it's time to pack up and trek back.

Don't expect to be full on beast mode overnight, but it is perfectly possible overtime.
>>
>>629922
That really only happens in 3rd world countries, humid tropical countries or extremely dirty places, like possibly going barefoot in the NYC subway. You don't have to worry about that much.
>>
>>630045
>3rd world countries, humid tropical countries or extremely dirty places
Like the American South?
>>
>>629822
who is this semen demon?
>>
>>630050
dunno, i just googled barefoot forest
>>
>>629822
I'm all for anything that feral humans would normally do, barefooting included. Do you have any idea how many extra bacterias and yeasts grow out of control on our feet, just because of the unnaturally hot and humid environment that we subject our feet to inside shoes?

On the other hand, people are assholes and there's broken glass every fucking place. Sandals are probably a decent compromise.
>>
>>629962
i used to run around bare foot a lot back when i didn't know shit about hookworms and such.
i didn't had any medical problems that i know of.
maybe i had hookworms maybe i didn't dunno. but i stepped into some stuff here and there and never had any infections.
so your plan needs adjustment.
>>
>>629849
>irish nobility
oxymoron. Ireland is, like, all grass and stone with no snakes. There are a few places in the world where, when the climate is right, would be great and refreshing to walk about barefoot. But, for the most part, thorns, stones, mud, noxious creatures or some other shit is going to make it very uncomfortable for your hippie nonsense.
>>
>>630111
>Do you have any idea how many extra bacterias and yeasts grow out of control on our feet
Do you?
>>
>>630119
Yes. Precisely (ฯ x Ω)^μ
>>
I vaguely knew a guy who did a lot of barebones survey work down in the everglades, I don't know if it was related to some fish and wildlife conservation or what but he'd go out barefoot almost every time and had no issues
0/10 would never recommend unless you're the epitome of the hippie lifestyle and an experienced outdoorsman
>>
>>629822
It feels good, the earth beneath your feet. I've never found a pair of shoes as comfortable as bare feet, very people on this board - although they like to think they do - actually do anything where the conditions are extreme enough to warrant footwear. Stop buying into the hype. Going barefoot teaches you to be mindful where you place your feet
>>
>>630117
If you werent a retard who didnt look where he's going, this wouldnt be a problem
>>
>>629831
Only if you step in Doo doo, thats actually how out houses got started
>>
I actually used to hike barefoot all the time in my teens/early twenties. I did 28 of the high peaks in the Adirondacks without shoes.

Haven't done any barefoot hiking in years though. I'm thinking I'll give it a go again next year.
>>
>>630157
i used to barefoot at home i loved it but current gf forced me to wear slippers so i don't grease up the floor
>>
>>629847
Awesome.
>>
Probably not a good idea.
>>
>>629850
Moccasins are really good though. And they will improve your posture and general skeletal well being.
>>
Ignorant people go die.

Walking barefoot is a slippery slope, once you start it is near impossible to quit (if you aren't a pussy faggot mommy bitch).

Anyone with half a brain has heard of grounding and running barefoot. You strengthen your feet, increase circulation, correct posture, reduce inflammation, improve circadian rhythm, etc. All these things are accomplished while barefoot and more.

Going back to wearing a cast on your foot is stupid. I only do it when absolutely necessary which really isn't that often cause I'm not a little bitch.

Stupid story: Was wearing vibram five fingers and had a bad machete swing. It bit through the leather and my toenail stopped the machete edge with minimal cuts to the tip of my big toe, but still bled profusely and separated the toenail. Now I know why people used to wear leather armor: it works. I then went barefoot and walked it off, no big deal. So you might want to consider wearing shoes when wielding sharp implements but then again that isn't necessary if you are elven nobility status.
>>
>>630264
my everyday shoes are leather sperry boat shoes. pretty much moccasins. i do still use boots for long hikes though, and ascics gel nimbus for running. and dress shoes to look good.
>>
I met an old timer in Kakadu who never wore shoes. He said he simply got used to it when he was young.

Though I didn't ask what he did in summer. Sometimes the ground in the sun could easily be 60 degrees C.
>>
>>630279
actually leather armor is better at stopping stabs than cuts, but i guess in your case it was more of a chop which is half way in between.
leather armor also started at 4mm thick and good ones were bull-hide 6-8mm thick heavy and cumbersome as fuark compared to metal of same level of protection no wonder they went out of fashion fast.
also i'm gonna call bullshit on the circadian rhythm thing.
i wouldn't go barefoot anywhere where i can't exactly see the ground because lot of debris and leaves and whatnot. last time i went hiking i noticed how perfect my shoes were for that shit. i can't drive shit in them they are much like casts but on the trail they were just perfect. i could feel rocks and twigs under them but it was not uncomfortable.
>>
File: 2754968362_96cb1672b1_z.jpg (159 KB, 640x458) Image search: [Google]
2754968362_96cb1672b1_z.jpg
159 KB, 640x458
Walk barefoot through a field of these. Really improves your circulation!
>>
>>630467
HOLY SHIT. I've never thought sand burrs existed anywhere else but Florida. that's the only place ive EVER seen them. The dry ones are a lot better for circulation!
>>
>>630116

Well you are cleaner than hippies. They are walking dirt bags so better chance of infection than you!
>>
>>630472
they exist all around the south. mainly on the coastal plain but i have run into them in the texas hill country.

they really don't hurt that bad they are just annoying. if stickerburs (thats what we call them where i grew up) are the worst you can think of then you have never been in an 'oh shit' situation.

i don't hike barefoot because i don't want to cut my foot on broken glass 8 miles from a road. i would eat raw stickerburs and poop them out over hiking 8 miles with a severely torn up foot
>>
>>630502
In that case, I've found some specially designed hiking boots for you, anon.
>>
When you aren't a faggot you don't need pussy ass boots because your feet's skin is like leather
>>
>>630590
true
>>
>>630127
kek'd
>>
>>630590
so you walk barefoot and wear only hiking pants ?
>>
>>630590
>When you aren't a faggot you don't need pussy ass clothes because your skin is like leather
>When you aren't a faggot you don't need pussy ass knives because your hands is like steel
>>
>>629912
I lol'd

Hiking barefoot is dangerous and should be avoided.
>>
>>630050
That's actually a fluid druid since she's innawoods
>>
>>629822
I love walking barefeet, I even took shoes off in classic athletic runner disciplines in school but in a forest? You have to be crazy. There is always something lying undr the leafy cover. A little twig might not bother you with any shoeware but barfeet you risk riping your soles apart and maybe get an infection too.
I guess it is ok for very walked paths.
>>
>>631246
>I guess it is ok for very walked paths.

That's probably even worse. People are pigs and throw all sorts of shit away. Think broken glass bottles and rusty metal. Possibly used needles.
>>
Why not both?

I enjoy barefooting it time from time but I don't believe there's really a 'right' way.
Just know what you're getting into. I always bring an old pair of trail running shoes if I'm barefooting any decent distance just in case.
>>
I am barefoot 90% of the time I am outdoors, but my boots are ankle breakers, and weigh more than a small car, we also get a solid 2 foot of freeze here, so things like >>629831 don't concern me.
>>
>>631395

Also, all this worry about getting worms from stepping on shit is horse shit, I walk barefoot in the barn all the time, and I've never once had a worm problem.
>>
>>631397
That's great anon. I'm glad you enjoy stepping in shit barefoot.
>>
>>629822
Mental illness.
>>
File: Cuddles.jpg (67 KB, 847x960) Image search: [Google]
Cuddles.jpg
67 KB, 847x960
>>629825
/thread
>>
File: IMG_20151020_222808629.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151020_222808629.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
moccasins, only answer

bonus points for homemade buckskin with beaver fur liner

gotta be double soled, waterproof those soles with beeswax and oil

all the feel of barefoot, none of the foot lacerations

learn to make your own shoes /out/ it will do you well
>>
>>631427
holy giant picture batman

sorry guys, thats weird, dunno why its so giant

i'm currently finishing up a pair of gathered beaver pelt boots for snow shoeing this winter. I'll probably make a thread about it when i'm done and showcase some other handiwork

i got the bug, can't stop makin mocs
>>
>>631427
Do you wear socks with those? I like moccasins but the fur lining always makes my feet sweat like crazy.
>>
>>631429
no

on those only the tongue is fur, the rest is the suede side of soft buckskin, and theyre extremely comfortable for the fall

the all fur ones do tend to induce some sweating, i'll feel that out this winter, but as long as its appropriately frigid outside I think they will be perfect

the sheepskin ones or synthetic fur ones I see in stores and stuff make me sweat like crazy but I don't like them anyway
>>
>>631398

And I am glad you are so scared of germs you wont walk over something when there is a foot wash station just on the other side of it.

How do people even function when they are scared to death of things so fucking trivial as walking barefoot?
>>
>>629825
Thread.
>>
>>631456
>not wanting to walk barefoot through animal shit means I'm afraid of germs

The first response to this thread is correct. Hippie nonsense.
>>
>>631427
Have you ever tried turnshoes?
>>
>>631469

Its not about wanting to or not, if I plan on going into the barn I put boots on, but if I am just walking around outside and stop by im not going to go back to the house to put on boots just to go in the barn and take them off again. Being barefoot is fine, and works 99% of the time and I am no hippie.

Explain why you would need shoes while /out/ anywhere in Indiana? at least until it starts to get cold.
>>
>>631517
>anywhere in Indiana

Including Gary?
>>
>>631427
Based
>>631429
My feet too. It's annoying. I don't want to wear socks dammit.
>>631456
You probably are alive now because of our better understanding and killing of germs.
Do you know what infant mortality rates were in the past? And how bad they are in the non developed word?
>>
>>631397
>Also, all this worry about getting worms from stepping on shit is horse shit, I walk barefoot in the barn all the time, and I've never once had a worm problem.
Says the guy with the parasitic worm controlling his brain
>>
>>631397
>I walk barefoot in the barn all the time
>>631517
>if I plan on going into the barn I put boots on

So what you're saying is being barefoot is for the unprepared
>>
File: 1422599606718.png (429 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1422599606718.png
429 KB, 600x600
>>631677
Reminds me of pic related
>>
>>631554

God no, the only way I would walk anywhere in gary is on a treadmill in a tank.

>>631605
>You probably are alive now because of our better understanding and killing of germs.

Probably, but whats your point, this isn't a thread about walking barefoot 200 years ago. I've never had a serious medical incident from walking barefoot around my farm accept one time when I accidentally shoved a half inch quarter inch diamiter rod both my heels by pulling a gate over them, but even then a tetanus shot and a few weeks of limping and I was good as new.

>>631677
>implying my worm overlords could live through all the nicotine and alcohol

>>631678
>So what you're saying is being barefoot is for the unprepared

Could be, or for those who really don't care. I like to wear boots cause its a pain to have to wash my feet all the time, but if I plan on staying outside there is no point. All this hate for the shoe-less just doesn't make sense to me, why does it matter if its not dangerous? I don't like those jackasses with the two week beards and flannels and those Texas rope necklace things, but I don't make threads about who should wear flannels and when.
>>
did it on lsd once, it was pretty neat. wouldn't do it again though. fuck that.
>>
File: hipsters.jpg (106 KB, 500x695) Image search: [Google]
hipsters.jpg
106 KB, 500x695
I go barefoot in the summer. It is much easier to hunt if you're barefoot, you feel the earth better, etc. I like it.

In colder months, and when I have to walk through thick nettles and bushes I will wear anglo saxon turnshoes. You can still feel the earth but you won't get stung and won't get frostbite.

Don't go hiking a steep rocky mountain barefoot; You have to ready yourself for being barefoot. I am looking for a pair of boots that are light (I despise heavy boots and shoe) so i won't look like a reenactor walking around town in turnshoes or barefoot.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYZxzqLspI
>>
>>631871
>It is much easier to hunt if you're barefoot

Calling bullshit on this hippie nonsense.
>>
>>629822
>those giant feet
>>
>>631894
wew lad
>>
>>631894
You know what they say about big feet.
>>631714
No one is hating on bare feet, just the ignorance around it.
I love walking around my yard in the summer barefoot.
But I'm not delusional about the dangers or that it's inappropriate at times. Or that germs aren't dangerous.
>>
>>629839
Too poor to buy shoes.
>>
>>631714
>but even then a tetanus shot and a few weeks of limping and I was good as new.

Forgot to address this.

> didn't wear proper footwear
> instead of a simple "dammit"
> limp for a few weeks
> has to go to the dr
> fun fun, get a needle

That's stupid.
>>
>>631905
Anyone that claims to be too poor to buy shoes but has the capability to shitpost on 4chan makes me skeptical.
>>
Americans afraid of walking barefoot. Afraid of germs and skin walkers. Have to carry guns in case of random murderers and satanic cults.
>>
>>631909
I wouldn't worry about skinwalkers.
>>
>>629849
>Irish nobility
>Irish
>nobility

Anyone who had two coins to rub together was considered "Irish nobility"
>>
>>629860
Maybe you should contract the consumption and get a heroin addiction too. After all, that's as Irish as you can get
>>
>>629822
>what does /out/ think of going innawoods barefoot?

Never thought about it, but then, I have a job.
>>
>>629930
>Your feet should be protected at all costs.

THIS
>>
>>631912
See
>>631692
I couldn't post a duplicate.
>>
>>631909
>Americans afraid of walking barefoot.
Not afraid.
It's just that we're not some 3rd world shit hole that can't afford to buy a pair of shoes. But then I guess you will never know what that's like.
>>
File: 7HiHU1x.jpg (391 KB, 1000x1403) Image search: [Google]
7HiHU1x.jpg
391 KB, 1000x1403
>>631890
no, being barefoot makes you walk slower (to avoid being hurt by sharp objects) so you walk slower when hunting animals. You can also feel if the leaves below you are dry, wet, etc so you know if they will make noise, you will know if a stick will crack, etc

It isn't hippy bullshit.
>>
>>631909
>jelly europoor who can't afford shoes
Oh and we don't have to carry guns, we get to.
>>
>>629831
Fucking Necator americanum.

>>629941
It doesn't. It burrows through the bottom of your foot (Ground Itch) and then goes to your small intestine.
>>
>>631906

Well seeing as it was a one time accident and has never happened since, I hardly think it matters, hell, it would have happened to normal shoes too, and possibly to my rubber boots, I just happened to be barefoot at the time.
>>
>>631974
couldn't you just wear shoes and walk slower

and i don't need bare feet to know if leaves are wet or dry anon

the stick cracking thing is valid, but it also works with moccasins which i suggested earlier, or soft soled hunting boots like the maine hunting shoe, which I also have a pair of.

and both of those then let you chase the deer after you shoot it without cutting your feet open or keep your toes from freezing off
>>
>>631692
lol these faggots on here are scared of deer and too stupid to know what a skinwalker is.. remind me why I come here? fuck you idiots
>>
> itt people with nothing better to do

Put your shoes on you fucking animals!

> I will now make it my mission to step on barefoot hiker's feet
>>
>>632259
Skinwalkers are nothing to worry about, anon. They're make believe.
>>
>>632264

SWIDF plz go.
>>
>>632261
Don't forget to wear cleats.
>>632179
Just because it hasn't happened in awhile doesn't mean something else won't ever again. How long was it before that first incident?
Why is this such a difficult concept for you to grasp?
Be more proactive you hippie faggot.
>>
File: 225.jpg (286 KB, 2784x1856) Image search: [Google]
225.jpg
286 KB, 2784x1856
>>629828
I do it all the time, im Irish and I live in Ontario, reminded my great grandfather of fermanagh so he bought an island on the lake. I live out lake life, only wear shoes in late fall and boots for snow.
>>
>>630279

People didn't wear leather armor, you dumb fuck.
>>
File: 288254031347425.jpg (141 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
288254031347425.jpg
141 KB, 800x600
>>629822
enjoy your parasitic worms

irc.rizon.net #/out/
>>
>>632343

It was 20 years before it happened and it can't happen anymore because I ground off the spikes. Why live your life in fear that you may pull a gate with spikes on it over your bare feet, there are hundreds of thousands of things more likely to happen to you than that.
>>
>>629831
Hookworms can cause auto immune diseases to become non existant. They release chemicals that calms down the immune system and can help treat MS and other illnesses
>>
>>629909
>carrying loads requires boots

Absolute nonsense.
>>
>>632633
> reverses balding
> great for erectile dysfunction, too
>>
>>632392
Maybe I didn't explain it right but you just said it for me
>there are hundreds of thousands of things more likely to happen to you than that
Which is why you should wear protection.
>>
>>629822
>what does /out/ think of going innawoods barefoot?

comfy as fuck when you're not getting chewed by rattlers
>>
File: images (55).jpg (18 KB, 374x280) Image search: [Google]
images (55).jpg
18 KB, 374x280
>>
>>629822
Cody Lundeen, what are you doing on 4chan? Don't you have a commune to live in, or actual survivalists to bitch at?
>>
>>629828
Yeah, and do you remember what happened to the Irish? First the Romans slaughtered them, then the British enslaved them, then 70% of them either died because they were to stupid to plant something other than potatoes, or got scattered across the world.
>>
>>629828
Yeah, and do you remember what happened to the Irish? First the Romans slaughtered them, then the British enslaved them, then 70% of them either died because they were to stupid to plant something other than potatoes, or got scattered across the world.
>>
>>632916
You know what I do remember reading that this is what happened to the Irish I wish i could remember where
>>
>>632916
>to stupid to plant something other than potatoes
too*

and because they were working rented land they had no control over what they planted. The crop and even cultivar were dictated by the wealthy land owners and the lumper was the highest return per acre which is why it was the only variety grown

anyway no other staple storage crop is suitable for ireland. If they'd re planted every acre of potato with wheat half the country would still have starved

and the vast majority of potato crops in the us (and globally) are still highly sussceptible to blight, thats why we loose a little over six billion USD a year in crop loss and disease control

dont talk blight with me boy, this shit is my life
>>
>>633040
You're a caricature of an Irishman. Claiming Irish heritage to go shoeless is like claiming Russian linage to be drunk all the time. It's a little disrespectful toward the culture you're trying to emulate.
>>
>>632916

>this 14yo bait

2/10
>>
>>633040
>loose
*lose
>>632909
This means nothing
>>
>>631909
they even wear their shoes indoors kek
>>
>>629839
I walk barefoot whenever I get the chance, I just like it better than stuffing my feet in socks and shoes. Your feet will get cold even in mild temperatures though, especially at night. Easy to lose heat to the ground with nothing to insulate the direct contact. My feet just never feel quite right in shoes, even when they fit as perfectly as possible I still feel the tightness and weight of having a slab of rubber strapped to my foot. Also my feet always feel a little sweaty, but mesh shoes like roshe's help with that.
>>
>>633065
fuck off back to scotland. you reek of butthurt ulster protestant you do.
>>
>>629828
They also died from a lack of potatoes all the time.
>>
>>629822
I usually take my shoes off when i arrive at camp to let my feet and shoes dry out. then i dust my feet off before getting into tent. Or sometimes after river crossing take shoes off and walk barefoot until feet dry enough to put back in shoes. It does feel nice once in a while
>>
>>632253
>couldn't you just wear shoes and walk slower

going barefoot helps you to walk slower though.

>and i don't need bare feet to know if leaves are wet or dry anon

depends, in my area there are some leaves that my look wet but crackle a lot when stepped on. When barefoot i like to know if they're wet on top and dry underneath by putting my foot there.

>the stick cracking thing is valid, but it also works with moccasins which i suggested earlier, or soft soled hunting boots like the maine hunting shoe, which I also have a pair of.

>and both of those then let you chase the deer after you shoot it without cutting your feet open or keep your toes from freezing off
I wear medieval reenactment turnshoes if I'm hunting in the winter. They keep my feet warm and I can feel the ground. If it's winter I'm obviously not going to go barefoot; that would be stupid. And when you shoot deer you generally don't chase after them, I wait for 20 minutes for them to bleed out then track them.
>>
>>632718
This. fitizen here. Any vans or wide bottomed/flat shoe with some active inserts (like Dr scholls) with plastic to support your arch is invaluable for carrying shoulder loads long distance. It's like your gripping the earth rather than just walking on it. Boots are a little too unnatural imo to find your balances quickly

I.e. a running shaped shoe is bad for balance, esp innawoodlin. Unless you just wanna squat some cairns or something.
>>
>>633795
>medieval reenactment turnshoes
what is their cost ?
>>
>>629822
Try that in 'straya you kaaarrrnnttss!!
>>
>>633795
Cannot wait to stomp your filthy hippy feet!
>>
>>633981
>Try that in 'straya you kaaarrrnnttss!!
This.
How has no one mentioned snakes or insects yet?
Or ice, snow, sharp sticks, poison ivy, leeches, burning grass, or thorns.
Way to many people getting trolled ITT.
>>
>>629854
Personally I find it less comfortable to do a lot of balancing and shit in regular less flexible shoes. Never had a pair of those things, but my intuition tells me it would probably be good for hiking and crap.
>>
>>633981
The abbos did for 50000 years.
>>
>>634702
they are still doing it
>>
>>631226
Underrated post
>>
File: 1445122699320-0-pol.jpg (326 KB, 685x900) Image search: [Google]
1445122699320-0-pol.jpg
326 KB, 685x900
>>632916
>Implying the Irish weren't the only people not to be conquered by Romans, Anglo-Saxons, or Norse
>Implying
>>
File: 2w7qxk2.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1583) Image search: [Google]
2w7qxk2.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1583
>>633976
£40

http://www.merchantofmenace.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=91&products_id=318

>>633984
I hate hippies, trust me.
>>
>>630049
I should be offended
but it's true
>>
>>632718
>>633844

>where you might encounter adverse conditions AND carrying loads.

Obviously boots aren't necessary if you are just walking around on a groomed trail with relatively well tended surfaces, but I said adverse conditions, Damn it. I'd like to see you do over a thousand feet elevation change over muddy and then Rocky terrain without boots and still have a good time.
>>
Girls like op pic should hike without shoes.

And without clothes.

And drink heavily.
>>
I don't know how you can simply deny very obvious medical evidence, but don't say I didn't warn you of the risks.

>>630013
>>630045
LOL I hate to break it to you but it still does happen all the time, even in industrialized nations. Worms are literally everywhere in the soil, and are pretty likely to be the most numerous animals on the entire planet. Some only infect specific species, some are opportunistic, and some infect a wide variety of species. You roll the dice every time you expose your skin to it, and your feet are no different.
Just because you haven't realized you have a parasite yet doesn't mean you don't and that other people shouldn't worry about it. They are very real and cause lots of medical problems. Sometimes they can take decades to grow out one stage of their life cycle and cause a noticeable infection.
>>630016
The CDC does have some reliable and accurate information, especially on common parasitic diseases.
>>
>>634702
And look how they turned out
>>634813
I was hoping someone got it.
>>
>>635019
>muh worms are bad
Parasitic worms can help treat allergies and shit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_parasitic_worms_on_the_immune_system#Positive_effects
>>
>>635146
Smoking cigarettes can help with Alzheimer's, but much like parasitic worms, the over-all negative effects outweigh the benefits.
>>
If you can actually go barefoot, you aren't /out/ enough.
>>
>>635176
what?
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (90 KB, 640x442) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
90 KB, 640x442
in Florida we have an abundance of sanspurs making it absolutely terrible. not too mention various infectious ground dwelling parasites and other poisonous critters
>>
>>635377
Anon is saying that being truly /out/ means trekking through rugged terrain that would destroy someone's feet no matter how tough unless proper footwear is being worn.
>>
>>632176
>>629941
Explained:

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/hookworm/biology.html
>>
>>633065
wasnt claiming irish heritage, in fact i'm not irish

I study blight for a living hence "this shit is my life"
>>
>>635524
Drink your CDC coolaid you fucking dotgov robot!

Probibly thinks AIDS wasn't created by the CIA. Fucking moron.
>>
File: File0006.jpg (267 KB, 401x1082) Image search: [Google]
File0006.jpg
267 KB, 401x1082
>>635569
Are you a blithering idiot? Perhaps your life has been touched by one. Tragically most blithering idiot are unaware of their condition. Although there's no cure, treatment options exists
>>
>>629822
As somebody who has taken multimile hikes barefoot, going /out/ barefoot is stupid as fuck unless you know the terrain like the back of your hand. And that is assuming you don't run into broken glass some ignorant twat has left all over the campsite. The only reason I do it at all is to toughen up my feet.
>>
You need to toughen up your underfoot with soft different safe surfaces before handling wilderness. One year of casual daily barefoot walks will get your feet ready for an expedition. Walking on concrete and rocky surfaces is good for it. It's all about going slow at it. But you must understand that you cannot avoid bruising your feet in the process of making toughening the underfoot. If you can bare the pain, you can walk the bear.
Enjoy !
>>
>>636836
Yeh this is pretty much spot on, you need to develop hobbit feet and that takes time.

You will never have tough enough feet to protect from a sharp thorn though so is there really any point ?
>>
>>636836
You fucked up your bare/bear faggot.

When will people learn that barefoot is a bad idea while /out/
It's an unnecessary risk.
>>
>>636897
i like to live dangerously
>>
>>637085
>I like to die pointlessly because I cut my foot and got a bad infection, can't walk, and am 30+ miles from civilization
ftfy
>>
Imagine treading in dog shit in bare feet.
>>
File: bullets.jpg (53 KB, 550x448) Image search: [Google]
bullets.jpg
53 KB, 550x448
>>636836
>>
>>630502
no they fucking hurt like crazy. i stepped on one one time and it broke off in my foot and i couldn't get it out. shit was terrible
>>
>>629822
I despise footwear and am barefoot 85% of my life. Would never go wooding barefoot. That said I may take them off from time to time depending on the area.

If you've ever been rushed to a hospital with a gash in your food you will understand this. Duct tape or a tourniquet may have been the only thing that would have saved me if I'd been hiking.
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 303x167) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 303x167
>>629839
Shoes alter your gait, posture, basically the way that you would walk naturally without them. If you have tough skin and good agility you can hike many places barefoot. Injun tribepeople do it all the time in all the places.
>>
>>629844
It isn't cultural. I am from a southern European country and my grand father didn't wear shoes till he entered in the army at 18yo because he was poor. Only due to that.
Only rich people at the time could get shoes so it was a privilege. Don't bring me the cultural thing, at least in Europe. Maybe some tribes in the world do it, don't know.
>>
>>636836
this,
calluses make your feet tough enough to walk through anything, but the only way to get good strong skin is with time.
>>
>>637394
> every "injun" i met wears shoes

Are you dumb bastards still arguing about not wearing shoes?

Put your shoes on you fucking savages!
>>
>>637179
Imagine treading in snakes with bare feet.
>>
>>637568
> nope rope
lol
>>
>>630111
>Do you have any idea how many extra bacterias and yeasts grow out of control on our feet, just because of the unnaturally hot and humid environment that we subject our feet to inside shoes?
I had minor persistent infections on both of my big toes for years. Not bad enough to spread and consume my body but enough to swell the skin along the edge of the nail and cause the nail to become brittle and disintegrate on the same side.

Going without closed shoes has allowed it to heal. I'm fucked when I have to wear them again though I guess.
>>
> live in Northern Minnesota
> Pine Trees everywhere
> Lol nope
>>
>>629822
Disgusting.
>>
>>629822
I've done it. Hiking in woods and large hills in cold/freezing weather for two weeks lol. Was alright.
>>
>>637588
You've probably got toenails that are too wide. I had that issue for years until I got the sides of my big toenails permanently removed. Now I can wear boots all day every day of the year without problems.
>>
>>638616
How is that even possible?
>>
>>638700
He's saying he had ingrown big toenails, which are a pretty common thing.
They grow into the skin and can cause infections, if that anon hasn't been to the doctor about his foot he should, that could actually be a possibility.
>>
>>639093
Ouch. Ok, thanks.
>>
>>638700
It's also possible his ass is too wide.

Every fat person I've met has disgusting hygene habits, fungus feet would be no suprise.

> mfw I never go down on fat chicks
>>
>>629825
/thread
>>
>>639702
That's more a problem with fat people being unable to wash their feet, rather than a physiological people.
>>
>>639911
Are they unhygienic because they are fat, or are they fat because they are unhygienic?
>>
>>639911
I don't think there are any people under 800 pounds who legitimately can not wash their own feet unless they've got some sort of disability beyond obesity. You can do it while sitting down ffs.
>>
>>639914

food=/=hygiene

they are fat because of shit tier self control, genetics my ass.
>>
>>629850
Mine aren't, they're fantastic for kayaking and as watershoes, which is what I bought them for. If I want to run barefoot, I will run barefoot, not by a pair of shoes to say I go "barefoot running". Vibram can keep their $90 from that recall, I like my five fingers.
>>
>>629828

They were also drunk all the time.
>>
>>629822
Nope. Too many assholes in the world throw away glass bottles where ever the fuck they want.
In my many years working at Outward Bound, that's among the biggest take aways. I'm never bare foot innawoods.
>>
retarded. most native americans wore shoes, native mexican tribes wore thin sandals etc.
>>
Our feet aren't good for traveling over rough terrain. You can move faster and over more terrain types. No shoes is a meme handicap used by people that are casual in the /out/doors.
>>
>>630022
They're tied to her bag.... And they are gargantuan.
>>
I think that if did it a lot and got used to it, calus would build up on your feet and the skin becomes tougher, but I would like that would take a very long time and lots of pain.
Human's have adapted to wearing shoes, our feet are just not that tough anymore
>>
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 295x171) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11 KB, 295x171
only at camp. after tigerbalm.
>>
>>636727
As someone who has taken multimile hikes barefoot, if your used to it and your feet are tough, no shoes can compare to going /out/ (barring extremes of weather).

Feet sweat in shoes, its hard to balance and place your feet, most of all you cant feel the sensation of earth beneath your feet. Like, why even bother going /out/?
>>
>>636874
>Sharp thorn

Are you fucking joking?
>>
File: honey locust thorns.jpg (20 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
honey locust thorns.jpg
20 KB, 500x381
>>642519
Allow me to introduce you to the honey locust tree.
>>
File: honey locust thorns 2.jpg (161 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
honey locust thorns 2.jpg
161 KB, 1600x1066
>>642525
Go step on one of these barefoot, or even wearing flip flops and tell me how it feels.
>>
>>642526
This would fuck you up in almost any shoe, even, but you'd probably at least notice it before it pieced your skin if you were wearing shoes.
>>
File: how come no one wants to hug me.jpg (415 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
how come no one wants to hug me.jpg
415 KB, 800x533
>>642528
Shoes(proper boots) will at least protect you from all but the very tip even in the unluckiest of situations.
>>
File: 1428370708419.jpg (186 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1428370708419.jpg
186 KB, 2048x1536
>>638616
>I had that issue for years until I got the sides of my big toenails permanently removed.
so what remains of your big toe ?

I have sides, at the extremity, that are painful too, but I do not see what you can remove.
>>
>>642538
lrn 2 reading comprehension
>>
>>642517
>Like, why even bother going /out/
>Why bother mountain climbing if you can't go barefoot
Feeling the earth feels nice but not always are you on terrain that feels pleasant.
>>
>>632916
The English took all the food that the Irish had grown. The unlabeled genocide!

I'm irish and no-one goes around with shoes unless you're just on plain grass or at the beach
>>
>>642768
I meant without
>>
>>630279
>elven nobility status
>chops self in foot with machete
>>
>>629854
I fucking love my fivefingers, they're super comfy to wear around the house and garage and stuff. Wouldn't take them /out/ though.
>>
>>629822
>exposing yourself to: rocks, sticks, manmade objecs like glass and steel, venomous or poisonous animals, torn ligaments due to lack of support, cuts and needles from sharp foliage etc. etc. etc. etc.
or
>Wearing shoes.

I know what I'm gonna do. If you really want to do that hippie feeling the earth shit do it after your hike and when camp is all set up. Take those shoes off and just walk around in the grass a little bit. Don't do the whole hike.
>>
>>629825
/thread
>>
I don't want ticks sucking on my shit
>>
>>629825
/thread
>>
>live in Sydney
No. Never. Bad idea.
>>
>>629941
Fetishists.
>>
File: 4L_6JsnpmHI.jpg (83 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
4L_6JsnpmHI.jpg
83 KB, 500x500
"Goatheads" these fuckers used to wreck me as a kid living in New Mexico
>>
>>629847
Until he steps in a pile of deer shit or get a massive splinter that will most likely get infected cause he doesn't have anything to protect it with.
>>
>>630296
This person is wrong, leather armor is shit for stabs or cuts, it was just cheap and mostly homemade. What they used to do was put on layer and layers, to stop cuts. If you've ever tried to rip layers of leather then you'd know how hard it was. It works this way because cuts displace more of the armor in question, so the leather (being flexible) offers more resistance. tl;dr leather armor is shit and for poor people.
>>
>>644043
Well, at least you don't have to worry about funnel webs living in your shoes and biting through your toenail if you don't wear them.
>>
>>644080
Amen, brudder!

Most of NM, AZ, UT, CO, TX and maybe more states I haven't lived in, can LITERALLY disable you if you walk into a patch!

Now what do? Sit down? Have them in your ass, see if I care.

This thread is a joke if you think you can win bare foot in the SW USA!

Waste of my time, that's why I skipped to the bottom.
>>
>>646333
If your shitty thread can't survive on it's own without being bumped, it's time for it to die.
>>
>>629822
>going barefoot
>live in NZ
I imagine most people here can walk over glass shards barefoot, honestly.
>>
Everyine is forgetting that we used to walk without shoes for thousands of years. But unless you have been barefiit all your life, it will take a long time until you build up enough callouses on your feet ti be able to walk in all terrains. Also they will get cold.
>>
>>629861
>Just not when I'm running or innawoods.
>>
>>631922
Your mum thought she was Irish nobility after i gave her 2 pennies last night
>>
>>646390
Bump
>>
>>635019
the extreme dangers of soil, presented by your daily paranoid american
>>
>>642528
>wearing hiking boots without a steel/composite shank
wew lad
>>
>>629831
lol, equator peasant.
>>
>>629825
I think it's comfortable to walk barefooted, even more so in a forest, but not walking barefoot in everyday life, and then going /out/ is retarded hippie bullshit
>>
>>648310
I meant to say and then going /out/ barefoot
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.