[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
winter layering system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Al-F-warpath.jpg (26 KB, 653x490) Image search: [Google]
Al-F-warpath.jpg
26 KB, 653x490
ok so im looking for some advice on what layers will work well for winter in the uk. ive already got base layers, a windproof, hardshell jacket and a ME citadel i picked up cheap but what else do i need to finish the top half?
>>
>>629360
Down jacket.

other wise just experiment.
>>
>>629360
Four wool shirts and a wool jackets should keep you just fine.

And fleece pants and underwear.
>>
>>629360
What kind of sports and where do you adventure?
>>
>>631121
God damnit I can't read.
Well either way, what do you think you'll be doing? I rarely wear a hardshell in the winter time. For a day of guiding ice climbing (live in northern NY) I wear a med weight base layer and softshell pants. I'll wear light weight long sleeve base, light weight long sleeve fleece that has a good and thumb loops, micro puff vest, softshell jacket, and tailor my hat to conditions. I carry a nano puff for bouncing on and off as I'm active and a full expedition puff when I need to stand around. I use big insulated leather gloves for most walking around/belaying/instructing. I have thin leather gloves for climbing and for days above tree line i have mittens
>>
>>629360
Assuming the winter in britain is as spotty and rainy as it is here (germany), you'll do good to take the hardshell and just layer stuff below. Consider merino or fleece sweaters.
The citadel jacket is a bit warm for the uk - at least for when you're moving. Apparently it also has a water repellent upper... consider replacing the top shell with it when it's really cold. You'll likely still have to remove layers... it's too thick and warm on its own for layering really.
>>
File: 1439227810446.png (113 KB, 504x362) Image search: [Google]
1439227810446.png
113 KB, 504x362
>>631124
Where abouts friend? Ausable here.
>>
One thing most people don't talk about when using base layers is if you like 1/4 zip shirts. If you start getting hit it's nice to vent off some heat.
>>
>>632303
>hit
Hot
>>
Just make sure to wear underwear under your long john silvers...
>>
>>629360
get a lightweight down jacket. Something like an 800 fill. Try Rab, patagonia etc. Wear it over a jumper and under a shell and you'll be dandy down to -5 while working if you're a decent sized chap. Remember to go no hood, it keeps your heat in better.
>>
File: woolrich-arctic-parka-df.jpg (180 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
woolrich-arctic-parka-df.jpg
180 KB, 960x720
anyone have any experience with woolrich parkas, specifically the john rich & bros ones?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.