[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Buck knives meme knives or...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
Are Buck knives meme knives or are they actually decent? I know they are supposed to make knives for hunting, survival, tactical, cutlery, and ( image related, ) custom gift knives. I've heard decent things about the ones they still make in America but what I want to know is do they make any decent outdoor knives?

I just want to note this thread is specifically for Buck knives. Depending on the replies I get I'll either buy from Buck of go with another company like Esee.
>>
I've got a Buck 110 that I've had for 4 or 5 years. They're good knives.
>>
>>686186
>any decent outdoor knives
Any knife that is not utter shit is a decent outdoor knife. I don't care what knife you buy, just make sure it's not shit knife and that it fits for your needs.

I wouldn't select a knife based on /out/ opinions but that's just my opinion. If you think Buck is anything like ESEE you're already on the wrong track desu mate.
>>
>>686186
They are good knives but its important to remember they were designed a long time ago so they lack some of the things people expect these days

No pocket clip so its going to be carried in a pouch on your belt or just dropped into your back pocket, no thumb stud so its pretty much a two hand opener, no plastics so its heavy and it wasn't made to withstand the abuse of batoning

Despite that however the 110 is one of the most sold and copied knife patterns around, a lot of guys say its cleaned more game in America than any other knife
>>
>>686186
post in knives general you knobber
>>
File: buckfah.jpg (29 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
buckfah.jpg
29 KB, 500x500
>>686186
I've been using a Buck Folding Alpha Hunter (pic related) for skinning deer and pigs for 5-6 years now, it's a great knife. Most other people I know use a Buck 110 or similar knife for skinning their animals and many of those knives have been in service for a decade or more. I prefer the blade profile/shape on the Alpha Hunter over the 110 but that's just my personal preference.

Buck makes good knives. They might not have "the best" steel in them but they are very well built and should last you a long time.
>>
>>686206
>the 110 is one of the most sold and copied knife patterns around, a lot of guys say its cleaned more game in America than any other knife
well said anon, but to be honest Lada has transported more people in Russia than any other car. Doesn't mean it's the best there is. Sure they're good cars in extremely low temperatures where all other cars die, but as cars in general they suck.
>>
>>686192
I've got one and really like it. They make good bear knives. If a bear is charging you, just throw the heavy sumbitch at it. You're sure to kill it if you can make a head shot.
>>
>>686214
Got a friend that has used a buck 110 to bash in the heads of hundreds of fish since his childhood
>>
>>686186
Don't get pins in the horn or antler handles on the custom unless you really like the look because they can lead to premature cracking

It shouldn't be a problem but you still reduce the risk by not having them
>>
Lots of good feedback, thanks. Does anybody have experience with their "survival" or "tactical" knives like the Hoodlum, hood thug, Buck Ops Boot Knife, etc? I'm just looking for a knife good for camping/good to toss into a "get home" bag.

>>686196
I don't know much about knives but Buck has a good reputation so I just wanted to ask about them. I do know Esee makes their knives for different reasons, though.
>>
>>686225
If you don't need a knife for heavy duty tasks I always go with Opinel.

Cheap, reliable lock and you can choose between carbon or stainless steel.
>>
>>686225
>Buck has a good reputation so I just wanted to ask about them.

Buck had a good reputation just like Gerber did. Gerber is absolute shit now and Buck is not much better. Some good old brands like Schrade are nothing but a name. Schrade actually went down under and the Brand was bought by a Chinese company that produces shit (not that bad actually for the price). It's all about selling crap using a brand name that regular people associate with quality.

>I do know Esee makes their knives for different reasons
I don't know what you know, "reasons" what do you mean? Knives are knives and ESEE makes good knives, though I don't like them.

>"get home" bag.
Get something unbreakable or something cheap and functional. It's all good for camping.

>don't ask questions if you don't like the answers.
>>
>>686225
The tactical stuff is often good for the money

The hoodlum has issues but buck has always made good on any damage that happens to them but the punk is good, the nighthawk is one of the best in its category, the reaper gets good reviews too

The compadre camp knife would probably be good for what you want, its tough and big enough to do anything without being bulky and heavy when you aren't using it
>>
>>686232
These knifes look neat, thanks.
>>686235
Not a fan of all the red but I do have to admit all of the Compadre stuff is within my price range.

I'll start looking at prices around my area and try to find some YouTube reviews.
>>
>no one uses the knife general thread
>>
>>686239
Yeah I didn't like the red either but coatings wear off and it looks better in person IMO

But 5160 steel with nice looking scales, I think they are worth it
>>
>>686186
my fathers old buck knife is still kicking and it is 30 years old. i have another one that sits in my shed that is 5 years old, but i broke the tip off of it. i probably could have sent it in to get replaced but i didn't.

but 110s are pretty solid knives.
>>
>>686467
They replace the blades for a few dollars
>>
>>686473
i know. i have a leatherman in my toolbag from my army days that has a broken part too. i'm just too lazy to send them in because they still work.

the tip is broken but it still works good enough for a tool shed knife.
>>
>>686186
nuBuck is crap. The old ones are okay.
>>
If it does the jobs you ask of it (and they're within the realms of what's to be expected), then it's fine.

Far too much brand fagging with knives.
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 640x1136
>>686186
Were you the guy thinking about getting a Buck for your dad as a gift? And getting an inscription?

Still gonna rec this site. Basically any knife you can think of from any company and they could write your dad's name for a few extra dollhairs
>>
>>686186
I don't think there is honestly much place for them

I live out in a farming community and everyone seems to carry them around, but here's how see it

if you need a heavy duty knife, you're better off with fixed blade that's much stronger and a little more reliable

if you need a folding knife, get a more modern design that weighs much less

the buck knife is the "want a folding knife, but the offchance of having to kill a wild dog"
most people would be better with a light folding knife, or a short fixed blade
you need a pouch to carry them around really as well

I also think they are overpriced now that the brand is well known

that being said, some people legitimately need a knife like that, and thats the best design out there
>>
>>686747
The only thing people use them for around here is for skinning game out. Nobody I know carries one around with them as their daily carry knife because they're just too big and heavy to carry around in your pocket.
>>
>>686243
Why use a thread dedicated to knives when you can make a new one about..... Knives!

I don't get it either man
>>
File: best-skinning-knife.png (134 KB, 752x241) Image search: [Google]
best-skinning-knife.png
134 KB, 752x241
>>686750
well why on earth would you skin game with one?
I know people DO, and I'm not champion Skinner but I think it's generally understood hat these are the best skinning knives because
A. they arn't heavy
B. the drawn back point makes it hard to puncture the skin with the point of the knife (yes you can avoid it with any knife, but why make it hard)
C. has a gutting hook
D. gives better control of the cutting edge when used in a close grip
>>
>>686758
I don't know, that's just what everybody and their dad and their granddad uses around here. I've skinned out around 10 deer and probably 30+ wild pigs with a Buck 110 or one of its clones. I've since bought a Buck Folding Alpha Hunter as I stated in this post: >>686208
and do like the slightly rounded profile more than the standard 110's blade profile but the Buck 110 works just fine. I also like a little bit of extra weight in my hand when I'm skinning an animal, I've just gotten used to it I guess.

I've NEVER used a gut hook when skinning any animal, it's not difficult to just slip 2 fingers into a small slit made in an animal's belly to pull the flesh out away from the guts a bit while you slide the blade down to split the animal's abdominal cavity open.
>>
>>686763
well maybe you're a dab hand anon, what do I know

but I'm sure many neothithic hunters got good doing the same thing with a sharp-stone, I just think the knives are too heavy and too long in the handle
>>
>>686770
Yeah, I'm sure it's just a matter of what you get used to as well.
>>
>>686695
No, that wasn't me. Getting one as a gift for somebody isn't a bad idea, though.
>>
The sheath(s) are/is trash-tier but the inserts to keep the guts from dirtying it/them are decent. the knives in this PakLite set ( 141 PakLite Large Skinner, the 135 PakLite Caper and the 499 PakLite Guthook ) are nice too. They make some other PakLite knives not included but those knives are redundant to the three in the kit. MSRP is $75 but you can get them cheaper at Walmart.
>>
>>686186
they're good. schrade copies also used to be good if you can find an older one. still have one... maybe 24 years old now.
>>
>>686186
My dad has a buck knife from when he was 16. Hes 43. Make sure its made in america though.
>>
I saw on DLT Trading they have a special edition 110 in S30V.

I've been meaning on getting some stuff from them a few orders into the future: I might get one of these.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.