[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The superbug that doctors have been dreading just reached the U.S.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1484x1003) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1484x1003
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/26/the-superbug-that-doctors-have-been-dreading-just-reached-the-u-s/

For the first time, researchers have found a person in the United States carrying bacteria resistant to antibiotics of last resort, an alarming development that the top U.S. public health official says could signal "the end of the road" for antibiotics.

The antibiotic-resistant strain was found last month in the urine of a 49-year-old Pennsylvania woman. Defense Department researchers determined that she carried a strain of E. coli resistant to the antibiotic colistin, according to a study published Thursday in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology. The authors wrote that the discovery "heralds the emergence of a truly pan-drug resistant bacteria."

Colistin is the antibiotic of last resort for particularly dangerous types of superbugs, including a family of bacteria known as carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae, or CRE, which health officials have dubbed "nightmare bacteria." In some instances, these superbugs kill up to 50 percent of patients who become infected. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has called CRE among the country's most urgent public health threats.

Health officials said the case in Pennsylvania, by itself, is not cause for panic. The strain found in the woman is treatable with some other antibiotics. But researchers worry that the antibiotic-resistant gene found in the bacteria, known as mcr-1, could spread to other types of bacteria that can already evade other types of antibiotics.

Is this the year we see the end of the world, or is it just another scare? I've never been one of those doom sayers, like the Mayians or Armageddon and the Horsemen, but this? This is scary.
>>
>>46436
Simply put, we already have alternatives in place of antibiotics, so no one should be worried yet. It may take a few years but soon microphages will be the main treatment for bacterial infections and all will be well.
>>
This is old news really. We found out rather recently that Colistin has been used in China on their livestock to prevent disease. That alone pretty much fucked us. We have been misusing antibiotics so bad that it is inevitable that it's going to bite us in the ass someday soon.
Not sure if it's end of the world material quite yet.
>>
>>46436
>>>46436
>Simply put, we already have alternatives in place of antibiotics, so no one should be worried yet. It may take a few years but soon microphages will be the main treatment for bacterial infections and all will be well.

This, targeted viruses or something to give our natural immune system a fighting chance against serious infections.
>>
>>46459

This is the kind of shit that needs to be regulated. I'd glady pay a dollar or two more per pound in order to slow down bacteria becoming becoming more resistant. I mean shit going to the hospital is risky enough now, it doesn't need to get any worse.

The lady who has this bacteria has a urinary tract infection. Man, if I get a fucking tract infection that can't be cured because I needed a catheter for some shit, I'm going to pissed. No matter what is going on in my life the catheter is going to be fucking terrible enough.
>>
>>46439
>alternatives
like?

If this super bug really is a deadly motehrfucker, why not jut smuggle into raqqa? Let it kill isis off for us. They'll never see it coming
>>
>>46439
>we already have alternatives in place of antibiotics

We really don't. Bacteriophages have been suggested, but I'm pretty sure none have even made it to clinical trials yet. It'll be a long while before they can be called an alternative.
>>
>>46485
It is being regulated in the West where last resort antibiotics aren't being thrown around. The problem is you can't regulate every country on Earth. The superbugs are growing more numerous and there's nothing any one government can do to stop it.
>>
>>46488

E. Coli can be avoided with simple good hygiene. Not so much in hospitals.
>>
>>46436

I wouldn't worry unless you are an Atheist.

God disproves evolution making this a lie to scare Atheists into higher taxes.

Atheists will believe anything.
>>
the general vibe I'm getting from this thread is you people aren't scared enough.

THIS IS THE POLAR VORTEX OF GERMS PEOPLE! FEAR FOR YOUR LIVES! FEAR FOR YOUR LOVED ONES! AND ABOVE ALL ELSE, CONSUME!

media fear monger berzerker blitz in 3, 2, 1….
>>
>>46503
Bacteria can transfer genetic material between species
>>
>>46542

so can you
*semi-colon close parentheses
>>
>>46543
>implying niggers aren't a different genus
No but for real, e. coli isn't the biggest deal right now, but if this gene is out there then it can be passed to s. aureus or something more harmful, then when someone is dying because of an infected papercut they'll be fucked
>>
>>46544
Well that's the issue though, isn't it? The problem isn't so much untreatable e. coli, it's e. coli spreading untreatability to other things (and eventually to most if not all things)

I'm low-key terrified, we'll see how it goes
>>
Meh, lots of scary diseases out there. We'll all die eventually anyways, my prediction has always been a space-oriented catastrophic event. An asteroid the size of the earth, sun suddenly getting hotter, etc.

I just wish it to be quick.
>>
>>46436
YUP, of course no one will do anything about a problem until it's too late and we're fucked. We're really digging our own graves with this one. Perfect example of short sightedness causing problems in the future. This time, the future is fast approaching.
>>
Fake
>>
>>46466
I challenge you to name one.
>>
>>46436
People aren't going to just start getting sick and dying when they get the superbug. Truth is, most people probably have a "superbug" living on/in them right now. If you're young and healthy, you might stand a chance. But if you're old, a child, or anyone who is receiving even the most basic surgery such as an appendectomy or wisdom tooth removal, the chances of you dying from complications is going to be much higher. Surgery will no longer be a safe option, and anyone who gets a little sick will die a lot more easily. Also even if you don't die, your infection will be harder to treat and you'll be way more uncomfortable for longer.
>>
>>46436
Once automation is completed and the majority of the human labour force is made redundant a new plague will cull the population.
>>
>>46507
He disproves evolution by having bugs evolve better anti-biotic resistance? That is a very strange proof, even for a deity.
>>
>>46485
a catheter is FOR pissing?
>>
>>46488
ISIS may be your doctors or lawyers in the next modern world: buy a sporty motorcar or bike to feel 'like' a rebel - not join a rebel group to buy said bike or car.
>>
>>46614
So your saying that Jesus played easy mode instead of GOD mode? THEN WHY THE FUCK DO PEOPLE HAVE HIGH EXPECTATIONS OF HUMANITY?
>>
>>46436
What can the common man even do if this does blow up? It's not like we can live in a bunker or go to work wearing an environmental suit.

Are there certain vitamins we should take or certain clothes that protect against infection or what?
>>
>>46634

>this guy gets it
>>
>>46436
Ideally this will wipe out shitholes like Africa, India, and China, but shouldn't be too devastating to clean western countries, provided you keep them clean by not letting even more unevolved 3rd worlders ooze in.
>>
>>46670
haha

im glad youll be dead soon enough
>>
>>46662
The only thing you can do is not prescribe unnecessary antibiotics
>>
>>46670
The bacteria comes from our livestock.
>>
>>46689
And when you're prescribed antibiotics, make sure you take the entire prescription as instructed even if the symptoms go away before it ends.
>>
>>46652
>you're
What even? I don't believe in the divinity of Jesus.
>>
>>46670

Genocide? Lovely. Go fuck yourself and then focus on solving your own corrupt government's problems which are choking-fucking everyone you love you cuck. You can start by help getting the antibiotics out of our agriculture system and by restricting their use nursing homes. Or is that too tall an order for vermin like you?
>>
>>46703

This. I didn't finish my prescription and the infection came back. The doctor was irate (and rightfully so) and I had to take stronger anti biotics. I learned my lesson.
>>
>>46662
If you consume meat, make sure you only buy meat that has been made without using antibiotics.
>>
>>46491
They've been tested in the ussr since the sixties iirc but the cold war made USA reluctant to test it because they didn't want to use mother Russia's tech. Fuck stupid wars.

Also this is why the Netherlands is so fucking right in limiting antibiotics until it's absolutely the only option left. Whoever decided they should be allowed to be sold over the counter in any country ever should be killed to death
>>
I look at all these god damn virus' like they're SARS all over again bunch a god damn doctor scare tactics to make more BS loot for themselves and inject more fear into the general public!
>>
>>46746
How is a plague genocide?
>>
>>46670
We can only pray, overpopulation in each of those regions is a greater threat for the Earth than pollution or global warming.

It is probably the single biggest issue but we can't even talk about it because liberals are morons.
>>
>>46746
You are clearly one of those three so I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that yu are a poo in the loo based on the visibility of each on boards with flags.

You have absolutely nothing to counter the very valid points he said and deep down in your heart you know that he is right.
>>
>>46756
Jesus, which countries allow anti-biotics to be sold over the counter? That's disgustingly dangerous and those countries should be banned from purchasing them because they have proven to be irresponsible with something that can explode in the species face.
>>
>>46501
The reason we're in this mess in the first place is the misuse of antibiotics, and that misuse is not just done in the third world.
On a global scale, American citizens misuse antibiotics like crazy.
>>
The United States could changed things by boycotting China, but I doubt they would before it's too late.
>>
>>46436
Tips to survive antibiotic resistance
>hygiene
>cook all food
>stay away from niggers
>get a bidet don't wipe ass
>don't get Injured
>>
>>46857
A guardian angel has been delivered to us and will smite the Devil China.

Blessed is Trump.
>>
>>46861

ummm what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>46876
Are you stupid?
>>
>>46757
Remember the epidemics

We didn't prepare and then the world blew up
>>
>>46439
>>46488
>microphages
I think he meant bacteriophages, or viruses that infect bacteria. We're entering a golden age for microbiology where we can sequence a genome for a virus that will attack and kill bacteria. These completely can be an alternative to antibiotics, but more research still has yet to be done.
>>
>>46757
These are drug-resistant bacteria, not viruses, and are a very real thing. Do you people think after carelessly prescribing and taking shitloads of antibiotics that the organisms they're supposed to kill wouldn't adapt overtime?

Also, for what malicious reason would a doctor want to scare you into taking LESS medication?
>>
>>46436
Goddam this is such a meme topic
If you are old and sick or late stage hiv u r in trouble. Otherwise youre fine.

Colistin is a 66 yr old antibiotic. Rly
>>
>>46779
It's not moronic to not want to discuss exterminating large numbers of humans. You can't be serious.
>>
>>47160
Lots of young people can still get opportunistic infections.
>>
>>46436
This is why I hardly wash my hand before eating.
I scratch my balls, pet my cat, dog, touch my feet, pick my nose, and I just pass a little water over it before eating.

We are so clean in this world that it makes me filthy.

The best part is, we knew the whole time.

99.99% of germs will be killed.

That 00.01% will always remain.
>>
>>47160
Infections became more difficult to treat, we have to use agents that are more toxic and more expensive, and we have to use them longer. The scariest situation is one we're seeing in hospitals in America, where patients are acquiring infections and there are no antibiotic options. We have a disease that should be treatable and we now encounter situations where they are not treatable. In some cases, it's taking us back to the pre-antibiotic period.

We're seeing resistance among all age groups. When we look at surveillance data for certain infections like streptococcus that cause meningitis, pneumonia, and bloodstream infections, the frequency of those infections has increased over time. We're seeing a rise in antibiotic resistance for all age groups and for a number of different bacteria.

Sometimes, the infection might be due to a catheter. In that case, the catheter could be removed or an abscess could be drained. In some instances, there's nothing to do to help the patient's body fight the infection, and that could lead to death. We don't encounter it with regularity, but the concern is, these stories are becoming more common.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/antibiotic-resistance-expert-q-a-cdc?page=3
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.