[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When China gives aid to African governments, they become more violent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: imrs[2].jpg&w=1484.jpg (303 KB, 1484x987) Image search: [Google]
imrs[2].jpg&w=1484.jpg
303 KB, 1484x987
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/12/02/when-china-gives-aid-to-african-governments-they-become-more-violent/

>Tuesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping began a five-day trip to Africa in Zimbabwe, where the EU only recently resumed providing aid to the government following years of sanctions. After two days in Zimbabwe, President Xi will travel to South Africa, which will host the first-ever Forum on China-Africa Cooperation to be held in Africa.

>Chinese influence in Africa is on the rise. As it becomes the continent’s largest trade partner, China has recently established its first mission to the African Union and is increasing the level of aid it gives to Africa. The big beneficiaries include Ethiopia, South Africa, Ghana, and Mozambique, which have seen the largest increases from what they received only seven years ago.

>Chinese aid is different from Western aid: It is unconditional, meaning it comes with no strings attached. Western aid typically requires progress on the donor’s agenda, such as support for democracy, good governance, respect for human rights, and poverty reduction. President Xi’s visit to Zimbabwe is particularly striking as a counterpoint to Western countries’ relations with the country as the EU’s sanctions against Zimbabwe began in 2002 over electoral fraud and human rights abuses.

>China doesn’t impose its political views, ideals, or principles onto countries to which it gives aid. In what’s known as its “non-interference policy,” the Chinese government pointedly says that it is not trying to influence the political decisions of African regimes. As evidence, China often gives aid directly to state leaders and regimes, who are allowed to use it as they wish.

>This policy has had dire consequences. A recent study found that African leaders are almost three times more likely to spend Chinese development aid in areas where they have ethnic ties, not necessarily where aid is most needed.

>>
>>4617
>
>China doesn’t impose its political views, ideals, or principles onto countries to which it gives aid. In what’s known as its “non-interference policy,”

Wish we were the same in the West.
>>
>>5107
Why? So we can allow governments to become more violent as well?
Imposing our political ideas and principles, although corrupt, is the only way to make sure that the atrocity that is African governments make any progress whatsoever.
>>
>>5111
You have a weird belief that our morality should be the world's morality.
>>
>>5139

Well the world's morality should definitely not be Africa's lack thereof.
>>
>>5111
>is the only way

whoever told you that was mistaken.
>>
>>5111
>make any progress whatsoever.
Why would anybody want that?
checked
>>
>>4617
You're gonna carry that weight, Chinaman.
>>
>>4617
Should be called a bribe instead of aid. I was hoping the author would clarify the difference.
>>
>>5107
giving money to them is by definition interference. this is the chinese buying the politicians without even pretending to help the little people

the west still tries to maintain the image that we care about the little guy when we buy our dictators.

with america we will still build some hospitals and schools while we rape the shit out of your countries resources
>>
Gee i wonder what was happening since forever in africa!
I wonder what happens when burgers give them money!
I wonder what niggers do!
>>
>>5107
You really don't understand what they're doing?
Really?
REALITY: They are paying bribes and calling it "aid".
>>
>>5372
not that guy, but whoever made you a relativist was misguided, and so are you.
>>
>funding warlords without asking for improvements
Pretty good.
China is kinda new at this whole global player thing.
Maybe they should have asked around first, or at least use google.
>>
>>6066
Why, you think we don't bribe African dictators?
Sure, we have our humanitarian propaganda projects, but that doesn't mean we're above bribing people when it fits our needs. There is really not much difference in the the West's and China's approach to Africa (calling it the west when China is west of America seems kind of stupid).
>>
>>6069
We SHOULD bribe them. Give them money and demand change for it.
We shouldnt just give them cash willy nilly.
>>
>>6071
Of course we're demanding things, like for example the ever popular demand: "Don't let any refugees through your country".
I still don't know why Gaddafi had to be dethroned. He was doing such a good job.
>>
>>6073
Both Gaddafi and Assad called all this shit.
Sometimes having a proper dictator is much better than letting retards do their democracy.
>>
>>6066

China definitely benefits, it's not a handout. The Chinese are extracting vast quantities of mineral wealth from Africa and improving African infrastructure (mainly to increase the efficiency of Chinese-African trade).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa%E2%80%93China_economic_relations

>Large-scale structural projects, often accompanied by a soft loan, are proposed to African countries rich in natural resources. China commonly funds the construction of infrastructure such as roads and railroads, dams, ports, and airports. These amenities aid the movement of natural resources back to China, and provide China with leverage to obtain exploration and drilling rights. While relations are mainly conducted through diplomacy and trade, military support via the provision of arms and other equipment is also a major component.

There are also over a million Chinese migrants in Africa working to establish a new foothold there. They are not expatriates, they are for all intents and purposes colonizing the African continent.
>>
>>4617
this is the funniest picture ive seen in a while. i can only imagine what mugabe is thinking.
>motherfucking yellow shitskins want to hold my hand n shit, i dont eat the poo poo, this faggot...
>>
>>6071
We already do that, it never works in Africa. For example, we give them cash and tell them to cut government jobs and spending but nothing happens.
There are entire papers and textboooks dedicated to the failures of IMF and World Bank organized funding.
>>
>>6123
Yeah, Hu Jintao's wife's facial expression tells a story unto itself.
>>
>>5161
Morality is a spook.
(If I could, I would post a picture of Johann Kaspar Schmidt, AKA Max Stirner, AKA Saint Max, AKA Der Einzige.)
>>
>>6069
>What is the International Date Line?
>>
>>5992
>relativist
Way to misuse the concept of relativism here
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.