[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Food is racist.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 0
Oberlin College Students: Cafeteria Food Is Racist

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/20/oberlin-students-cafeteria-food-is-racist.html

Misanthropy is the only tenable position.
>>
>>11066
I want you to understand something op.
I've been in the worst depression slump ive had in a while. Ive stayed in bed on my phone or just staring at the ceiling until i go to work at 1600. Your article that you shared helped me get out of bed, it helped me get out of my funk.
Because somewhere out there, there is some asshat calling cafeteria food racist and its making news.
And im just laying here. Maybe ill go type up my essay i need to type. Go work on my car, or read that book I've been meaning to read.

Thank you op.
>>
College students should be sent to China.
>>
I can sympathize with "“I would like to see Bon Appétit fired and replaced by something other than an international corporation,” a student, Kendra Farrakhan, wrote to the paper. “I would like to see the chefs have the respect and autonomy to cook the food they love.”"
and if the food is shitty versions pretending to be accurate then that is annoying and can rightly be criticized.
However, calling the food racist and going on about cultural appropriation is the dumbest way to do it; I can't believe these people.
>>
>>11069
Godspeed, brother.
>>
What exactly is going through their heads when they say and demand shit like this? How could they not realize that they're being racist while fighting against racism? It's a weird kind of irony that, at this point, I'm not sure I find funny anymore.

Is this the result of public education in the U.S. (and apparently every black parent) constantly pounding kids with the history of slavery? It was taught so forcefully that they've all got a victim complex now? It's like everyone's obsession with WWII and the Holocaust, but way worse.
>>
>>11094
Oh yeah? Well you're a racist!
>>
daymn right nigga were's muh fried chikin?!
>>
>>11097
But I'm a black/asian yestergay Mexi-kin. I could never be racist!
>>
White guy here.

I eat chicken everyday.. One of my favorite foods. Chicken sandwichs for lunch and pan fried chicken for dinner. Not exaggerating! And eggs for breakfast most day.

Am I racist?
>>
>>11103
You're white so yes.
>>
>>11069
Arise, Lord Vader
>>
>>11103
Nah, you're just gay because you eat cocks.
>>
i just ate a rotten banana, can't call me racist. It even smelt like shit too so thats 3/3
>>
>>11116
OH SO NOW WE'RE CALLING BLACK BANANAS ROTTEN??

RACIST
>>
>>11069
Good luck. Don't let it be a temporary thing.
>>
>>11069
May the Schwartz be with you
>>
>>11118
Who said that the rotten banana was black huh?

WHO'S THE RACIST ONE NOW?
>>
>>11066
Mexican here

Taco Bell is racist because when you’re cooking a country’s dish for other people, including ones who have never tried the original dish before, you’re also representing the meaning of the dish as well as its culture so if people not from that heritage take food, modify it and serve it as ‘authentic,’ it is appropriative.

Taco bell needs to be stopped.

Oh boy, I like PC now, it gives me a reason and way to get people to stop doing what they like because I find it offensive.

Except breakfast burritos, those can stay.
>>
>>11074
they'd probably like it
>>
>>11103
No.

Chicken and fish are my top meats.
I find them preferable over beef and pork.
>>
>>11069
Run, Forrest, run.
>>
>>11152
Fucking turd Nazi.
>>
>>11083
>calling the food racist and going on about cultural appropriation is the dumbest way to do it; I can't believe these people.

They've been taught to cry 'oppression' or 'appropriation' as the way to get something. It has the benefit of making you feel morally superior, which just requesting better food be served to you would never do.

Note Kendra wants "respect and autonomy to cook" for the chefs. She is claiming that someone else is oppressed so that she can get what SHE wants.
>>
>>11107
Sorry your slumping, no seriously. I always remember this when I get down."I complained when my shoes laces were dirty and worn, then I went around a corner and saw someone with no feet".
>>
>>11074
Is that a Trump policy?
>>
>>11191
We're going to balance our trade deficit by sending our college kids as slave labor, yes.
>>
>>11069
fuckin attention whore
>>
Spaghetti, Pizza... Need I say more? I am so offended!!!

>>11069
just keep at it. It's all that it takes, just keep hammering at it.
>>
>>11066
>>11066
I was reading another article, and it said Oberlin was trying to pass off a chicken and salad on a roll as a Bahn Mi sandwich.

If you live on the west coast/been to vietnam, and had a proper Bahn Mi before, you might throw a fit as well.
>>
The sushi here isn't as good as the sushi I eat in Tokyo! That's racist!
>>
It has come to this.
Now, even food is racist.
Wow.
>>
>>11191
He has my vote then
>>
I'm more interested in the list of demands that the article linked, they DEMAND that the ratio of blacks in the college be 3 times greater than the actual representation of blacks in american society.
>>
>>11250
There arent enough qualified minority applicants? DOESNT MATTER MOTE BLACKS NAO
>>
>>11251
>>11250
Maybe we'll finally get segregated schools back
>>
>>11069
UP AND AT THEM!
>>
>>11109
ayyy lmao
>>
>>11275
Probably in your dreams.
>>
>>11275
It looks more like they're leaning towards cloning Blacks, actually.
>>
>>11176
They just found an over-convoluted way to demand less shitty cafeteria food, and make it sound hurtful enough to make the news
>>
Yellow lives matter
>>
So liking a different ethnic food is cultural appropriation? How?

Because I'm white I'm not allowed to enjoy Korean or Mexican food?
>>
>>11522
Because you're white you're not allowed to exist.
>>
>>11144
As another Mexican that shit also annoys me. Including burritos. I really wouldn't mind if people just identified it as American food, which is what it is.

The most annoying thing is how people assume that's the shit you eat at home as a Mexican. I avoid having conversations with people about food because whenever I mention having tacos at home they bring up retarded shit about "shells" and "taco seasoning".

Our university recently set up a taco place. Everything tastes like taco seasoning and is served with a side of curly fries. I mean seriously, what the fuck. Who eats this crap?
>>
>>11144
>>11579
This is why I am voting for Donald Trump
>>
>>11176
I think what Kendra is talking about is
>Be cafeteria
>hire asian cooks to handle the "asian" foods.
>instead of having them cook asian food have them cook weird american fast food that for some reason has become identified as asian food by white people or weird original recipes with names taken from actual asian dishes.

>>11218
This.

>>11219
lol, I wouldn't touch our University's sushi with a 30 inch pole. It's all stuff like California Rolls and weird concoctions with cheese. I'm pretty sure their rice is prepared with a rice cooker (not even sushi). They should just serve regular food.
>>
>>11522
No. That's not the issue at all.

>Suppose you lived in another country.
>Everywhere you go there's fast food places that serve "white guy food" and lots of people talk about liking "white guy food" and some families even have "white guy night". It's an entire cuisine onto itself.
>Thing is that you don't recognize any of these "white guy foods".
>For instance they serve something they call a Cheeseburger except that it's actually a cup of ground beef, lettuce, beans, and cheese served with a roll of sweet bread on the side. Other foods have unheard of names and unheard of recipes.
>This isn't really a big deal though since the dishes seem to be very popular among the populace even though they seem strange to you.
>Then you end up having to either avoid the topic or explain to uninterested people that you aren't familiar with this stuff because it's actually not what you eat in your country.
>Worse still you get people giving you shit over this "white guy food". Everything from "I don't know how you white guys can eat that food, it always gives me the shits and I'm hungry again in half an hour" to people mockingly speaking broken English at you "Me white guy, me eat bort bort".
>The worst is when you look for a job and the only places that will hire you are "white guy" fast food chains because they want "white guys" working the kitchen serving this stuff.
>All along this stuff is all over national TV. Everything from commercials for "white guy frozen dinners" to not so subtle racist jokes about white guys that rely on dishes like "white guy eggs and soap" to political pundits talking about how they're tired about all the white guy culture infecting their society through their "white guy" food.
>etc..

The issue is that the food isn't even food from the ethnic cuisine that it's marketed as. It's perfectly fine if you like asian food. It's also perfectly fine if you like western "asian themed" food. Where things become dubious is when you mis-attribute foods.
>>
>>11590
I would literally just laugh it off.
Fucking minorities can never handle self depreciating humor.

Goddamn fuck em all.
You're doing nothing but further promoting the destruction of world nations. If you don't like it, fucking leave.
>>
>>11591
Most minorities do laugh it off. Even though it's impossible to have a conversation about your cuisine with white people and it's always a huge disappointment to hear that the new place opening up is one of these hilarious jokes.

>tfw friends invite you to eat at one of these places.
>>
>>11592
I know, most the ones I fraternize with do at least.
But I feel like most don't. Also I don't know what you mean by "white people", there are Europeans?
Their food tops most of the world imo.

I still don't understand whatever concept your trying to portray, you get annoyed that people take you to a new Mexican restaurant because you're Mexican? Speak up and say you'd prefer to go somewhere else next time.

It's hard to relate to people in such a toxic, globalistic, and cosmopolitan world. So they pick the easiest thing; food.
>>
>>11594
The issue in that scenario is that it's most likely not a Mexican restaurant. All of the foods on the menu are new inventions by the in-house chef or American/European foods. Also speaking up irl is just interpreted as complaining (since one has to give an explanation).

It's like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWLhrHVySgA
>>
>>11596
Then it's an American spin on Mexican.
Tex-mex is what we call it.

Look, cultures mix and mingle, especially when you have such radical liberalism and a ruinous multicultural experiment infecting most western countries.

If you don't like the formation of new foods, nobody really fucking cares except in echochambers. You want multicultrualism? Then this is what happens. If you stayed in your country then this wouldn't have happened and you wouldn't get your panties in a phiphi.

>it sounds like complaining
No, you say
>that was good, why don't we try this next time?
Grow a pair of balls.
>>
>>11598
I think everyone would be just fine if it was just called American food or Tex Mex or fusion or whatever from the start and this problem would resolve itself.

Stuff like taco-in-a-bag (chili poured into a Doritos bag), totally American. Every last bit of it (chili is American too, Tex-Mex if you will).

>that was good
It wasn't good, anon. It was never good. It's glorified american fast food.

With regards to the greater argument. No one cares about the food itself. They just don't want to be culturally identified with it. That's why they're calling it appropriation and other shit.
>>
>>11599
If someone took you to taco bell then you need to get new friends.
If it wasn't good grow a goddamn pair and say so.
>>
>>11578
Caucasians BTFO
>>
>>11590
>Where things become dubious is when you mis-attribute foods.
This is pretty impressive.
They've found a completely new way to be fucking snobs, while at the same time playing the victim.
>>
>Poorly preparing a dish is appropriation and thus a reinforcement of white supremacy

At approximately 3:00 AM Eastern time, Jeff Smith, a 19 year old college student decided to heat up some "Tyson Authentic southern chicken strips". Unbeknownst to Jeff, the packaging required a cooking time of approximately twelve minutes at 375 degrees in a preheated oven. Jeff proceeded to instead hastily pour the frozen chicken onto a plate, and heat it up in his high wattage college dorm microwave for only 11 minutes. As the sophmore college student took out the poorly prepared chicken, the entire contentious region of states known as the South began to fall apart. Anarchy broke loose in Alabama as generations of proper spiced chicken preparations were completely and utterly destroyed from history due to a college students incompetent preparation of a 12 dollar frozen chicken meal. Mississippi quickly followed, its entire culture of delicious chicken and state government obliterated in a matter of hours.

Jeff had appropriated from a rich and unique culture of the South, and the entire region once known as the Confederacy had yet again separated from the federal government of the U.S. This time however, it would be due to the states no longer existing rather than a fight for human bondage as had occurred 150 years prior. Jeff Smith took two bites of his poorly prepared microwaved chicken, and dozed off, unaware of the incredible damage had done.
>>
>>11641
I just dropped a tear. You have a lot talent, you should write for online college newpapers.

>be Argentine in the US
>some rapey guy throws meat on the barbecue
>"It's just like an Asado! LOL"
>My face twistes in an expression of pain, but try to keep smiling
>I hear the distant chants of my homeland's native americans, giving me strength
>the Mapuches and Selknams protectors help me chew that mislabeled, juicy, grade A beef
>In Buenos Aires the flags flew at half-mast
>>
>>11066
>a form of microaggression

Amazing how some of the dumbest people are in Universities. They have no knowledge or respect for true civil rights activists.
>>
>>11069
That'll do pig. That'll do.
>>
>>11066
Ebul librul here. This shit is going too far, this is WBC tier.
>>
>>11066

>Oberlin

Damn germans
>>
>>11587
Problem is that Asian cook would probably only know their their country's food. They aren't inherently better at cooking Asian foods just because they are asian. If theyre going to have to learn other cuisines, why not hire a Mexican who will do it faster and cheaper.
>>
>>11074
I would support a program to send these college kids who preach "microagressions" and "muhsogyny" to some place like Pakistan, Iraq, India or some similar shithole where actual systemic sexism and racism exist. Like Birthright for progressives.
Then they can come back, and we can see how much they care about racism in inanimate objects.
>>
>>11590
So, you mean like what most people would say about British cuisine?

Are the Brits not white now?
>>
>>11590
>a Cheeseburger except that it's actually a cup of ground beef, lettuce, beans, and cheese served with a roll of sweet bread on the side. Other foods have unheard of names and unheard of recipes.
Sounds tasty, faggot.
>Not loving other culture's "American" food
Foreign burgers are great
>>
>>11590
Go to a foreign country. This is pretty much exactly what happens at any "American themed" restaurant. Every country will fuck up or deliberately change foreign food to suit local tastes.
>>
>>12015
>Are the Brits not white now?
Brits were never white.
>>
>>11144
>>11579
I though Mexicans couldn't get access to the internet.
>>
>>11144
>>11579
The civil rights movement was a mistake.
>>
>Taco Bell is racist
Why not go back to Mexico if ebil racist fast food is so terrible? Oh wait, you won't because Mexico is a shithole 3rd world country because dumb mexicans made it that way.
>>
>>12073
We're generally more of a pink colour, except for the Scots, who tend to be blue.
>>
Food being racist isn't new. Non white people apparently can't eat a lot of dairy. I've seen first hand that Asians shouldn't drink alcohol. We should publicly shame food for physically and emotionally abusing us.
>>
>>11066
oh god. this doesn't bode well. this is one of the top schools i am applying to. FUCK
>>
>>12262
Taco Bell isn't even remotely close to what Mexican food and real tacos are like.

They once tried to open a locale in Mexico, it flopped terribly.
>>
>>12144

I'm mexican and i find this extremely funny
also check'd
>>
>>13783
i remember that
>>
You can't be serious, people today pussies... Grow the fuck up
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.