[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FBI paid more than $1.3 million to break into San Bernardino iPhone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1461268150976.jpg (13 KB, 644x429) Image search: [Google]
1461268150976.jpg
13 KB, 644x429
>Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey said on Thursday the agency paid more to get into the iPhone of one of the San Bernardino shooters than he will make in the remaining seven years and four months he has in his job.

>According to figures from the FBI and the U.S. Office of Management and Budget, Comey's annual salary as of January 2015 was $183,300. Without a raise or bonus, Comey will make $1.34 million over the remainder of his job.

>That suggests the FBI paid the largest ever publicized amount for a hacking technique, given the most previously paid was $1 million by U.S. information security company Zerodium to break into phones.

>Speaking at the Aspen Security Forum in London, Comey was asked by a moderator how much the FBI paid for the software that eventually broke into the iPhone.

>"A lot. More than I will make in the remainder of this job, which is seven years and four months for sure," Comey said. "But it was, in my view, worth it."

>The Justice Department said in March it had unlocked the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone with the help of an unidentified third party and dropped its case against Apple Inc (AAPL.O), ending a high-stakes legal clash but leaving the broader fight over encryption unresolved.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-encryption-fbi-idUSKCN0XI2IB
>>
Is there a part of that statement that isn't crass as absolute fuck?

Typical america.
>>
>>39967

Don't you love the extreme waste of our (American taxpayer's) money?

"It was worth it" he says. When he doesn't have to foot the bill, while essentially living on the dole (as all government employees do).
>>
Well?
Did they find anything?
>>
>>40041
Eh... who gives a fuck about that, right?

Probably nothing.
>>
>>40004
>B-b-but if only we had access to the phone to begin with, none of this would have been necessary. We need common-sense electronic security safety control community benefit aide affordability cryptographic backdoor legislation.
>>
>>39967
>paying $1.3 million
>when McAfee offered to do it for free
What the hell
>>
>>40004
>1.3 million

Nigga that gets paid in fucking toll road fees daily between New York and New Jersey.

It's literally nothing for the government to spend that.
>>
>>40695
If McAfee is anything like Norton, which I'm 99% sure it is, getting those fuckers out of the office after they did it probably would cost over 1.3 million dollars.
>>
That's because their phones stopped working when this asshole They're Decided to hack into their emails and tell everyone that their wives should shut down their phones.
>>
>>40906
John McAfee offered to do it for free.
>>
>>40895
Literally nothing would mean $0.00. $1.3 million is 'figuratively' nothing. You couldn't have gotten it more wrong.
>>
>>41678
With all due respect to John McAfee, the method he proposed really doesn't sound like he knew what was going on. He pretty much proposed "pry the board apart and see what signals go down the wires, then play the right ones and not the wrong ones". As I understand it, he completely discounted the possibility of the drive controller being more complicated than a toaster, which hasn't been true since the 80s or 90s.

(To be fair, though, he didn't propose doing it himself. He proposed using his substantial reputation to convince some of his friends in the community to do it, which is far more realistic.)
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.