[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advancements in Organ-Replacement Science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: XenograftPlatform.jpg (46 KB, 602x522) Image search: [Google]
XenograftPlatform.jpg
46 KB, 602x522
This week has been a good week for science. How about some good news for a change?

The RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology has successfully made working skin (secretes oil, grows hair, etc.) that was successfully grafted onto rats without rejection, the first step in saving many lives because there isn't enough skin to go around.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/04/functional-skin-complete-with-hair-and-oil-glands-grown-in-lab/

Meanwhile, the Cardiothoracic Surgery Research Program and their associates have published their findings on chimeric xenotransplants (transplant of modified organs from one animal to another). The researchers have been able to make a pig heart survive in a baboon for 2 years, far surpassing previous records. This may pave the way to using animal hearts for humans in the future: like skin, we don't have enough hearts to go around.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/04/researchers-keep-pig-heart-beating-in-baboon-belly-for-2-years-a-new-record/
>>
>>37216
>even considering surrogate animal organs

Find a way to do this with a patient's own DNA, then we'll talk.
>>
>>37226
If you're on a waitlist right now, you'll probably be dead by then
>>
>>37226
I imagine if you're in dire need of a heart transplant you wouldn't care whether it's made of pig cells as long as it works.
>>
>>37216
The medical research infrastructures is broken. Even with "discoveries" like this that get plenty of news attention, we're decades away from any actual treatment being available to real life patients.
>>
>>37226
3D printing organs has a better shot if you ask me. If we could only learn how to culture a patient's cells, and quickly.
>>
Doctor, are these organs Kosher?
>>
>>37216
> like skin, we don't have enough hearts to go around.
I thought skin was easy to make?!
>>
>>37398
Read the first link, real skin that does all the stuff skin is supposed to has never been done for humans so far

We can do grafts of donor skin or substitute skin
>>
>>37387

Why fund cures when you can keep everyone on medications for life that cost a lot more?

That said they aren't even researching new antibiotics although we desperately need them so im not entirely sure what medical research companies are wasting their time doing anyway.

Areas that medical knowledge far outstrips treatment:

Autoimmune disease
Regenerative therapies
Allergies
Transplants

That's just off the top of my head
>>
>>37226
ok boss, im going back to my lab so we can finally talk
>>
>>37417
Or your own skin
>>
>>37425
>That said they aren't even researching new antibiotics although we desperately need them so im not entirely sure what medical research companies are wasting their time doing anyway.
Antibiotic development is almost totally incompatible with current markets. Antibiotics cost a lot to develop but also by necessity have to then be put on the shelf for when we really really need them. So they cost a fortune and don't sell well. Capitalist nightmare.

A lot of people have been working for a long time on developing market/investment tools and development tools but I think ultimately this is like a massive blindspot in the abilities of market capitalism
>>
>>37425
>Autoimmune disease
This is like saying that they can cure cancer, AIDS and Hashimoto's disease are very different.
>Regenerative therapies
I'm not sure about this one, but I think it's about the legal problems.
>Allergies
I don't know about you, but as a participant of a few clinical trials in the subject I've used at least one that was short of being a miracle (It wasn't permanent, but your allergies practically vanished)
>Transplants
Most organs last for a few years and then fail, they are getting better at explaining why but appart from one development last year that forced a heart to work untill it rotted they are no closer to getting the damn things to work.

>Why fund cures when you can keep everyone on medications for life that cost a lot more?

Spot on, but they actually like selling treatments. When they can sell meds that have to be taken with every meal that supress the symptoms of X they will be happy.
>>
>>37687
And I go and confuse Immunodeficiency and Autoimmune. Sorry about that.
>>
>>37216
inb4 tumblr pig-kin are walking around with pig penises and flashing them in gay parades.

imb4 someone pics up a chick from a bar only to find out he is fucking a pig pussy
>>
>>37398
>>37417
>>37619
Reminds me of when I was a baby and I was born 3 months premature and was in really bad shape, I didn't have enough skin covering my organs in the back, so my dad donated skin from his ass to cover up the weak spot. He's always got some smart fucking thing to say because of it.
>"Why are you such a smart-ass, Anon. Oh wait, I loaned you some of mine."
>"Ain't no skin off my ass."*Smirks at me.*
>"You're a chip off the old ass."
>"You owe me! My ass saved yours!"
Fuck you dad.
>>
>>39096
>chip off te old ass
lel
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.