[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Google's 'Mic Drop' Gmail joke was a catastrophe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/01/google-micdrop-gmail-joke/

Many people tried Mic Drop accidentally, or pressed the button without knowing its full effects. It triggered a small but significant backlash in the Gmail Help Forum, with numerous users asking for a disable option. One user claims to have lost their job after using the feature to send draft documents to their boss. The GIF wasn't appreciated and the user never received their replies, which included important corrections. Unsurprisingly, this led to a "very angry voicemail" in the morning.
>>
>>35711
>Due to a bug, the Mic Drop feature inadvertently caused more headaches than laughs. We're truly sorry. The feature has been turned off. If you are still seeing it, please reload your Gmail page." The nature of the bug and its effect on Mic Drop remains unclear.
They can't just admit it was a shit idea, huh?
>>
>>35731
Big companies practically never admit fault. It's pretty disgusting.
>>
>>35736
why the hell should google apologize in this case? it was a joke who the hell is so illiterate to send a mic drop to their boss
>>
>>35711
>People are so fucking retarded and bad at using computers that they click the BRIGHT ORANGE BUTTON that clearly is different from the regular button and with a different image that they click it anyway
>They use gmail as their workmail

These are the same mongoloids that will blame their children for infecting the computer with viruses after they themselves clicked ads like fucktards.
>>
i dont get it, what did mic drop do?
>>
>>35753
Try reading the article, idiot.
>>
>>35738
I think he's commenting on the fact that Google claims there was a "bug" when the feature worked exactly as intended.
>>
>>35753
Attached a gif of a mic dropping to the email, and prevented replies from reaching you.
>>
>>35744
>>35738
Ladies, calm down. If you'd read the article you'd see the problem is that the button replaced the "send and archive" button which they are used to clicking by habit. Many people were unaware of the change because they had important business matters to take care of, so it was very easy to send a mic drop inadvertently.
>>
>>35755
>Judith
>>
>>35842
>prevented replies from reaching you.

what the fuck where they thinking?
>>
>>35736
They don't admit fault because the US is highly litigious and admitting fault will only hurt them if something gets taken to court for some reason.

You only have yourselves to blame for being so shit at normal every day life that the laws are the only way to maintain order.
>>
>>35857
They were probably thinking that people would be smart enough not to click new buttons.

And seriously who uses gmail for professional emails? What a joke.
>>
>>35857
>>35872
That's not even how a mic drop works. If anything, it should have muted the dropper, not everyone else to them.

I bet some Tumblrette thought this way would be neat and safespace-friendly.
>>
>>35876
Yeah man, use yahoo. :^)
>>
>>35864

Way to repeat the myth about Americans loving to sue.

It isnt 1995 anymore. The insurance companies won the PR battle. It is time to grow up and realize most americans dont sue and we arent the sue happy country.
>>
>>35711
>http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/01/google-micdrop-gmail-joke/
what a truly moronic idea
>>
>>35872
>who uses gmail for professional emails?
most modern companies
>>
>>36068
The plural of ‘anecdote’ is not ‘data’. For example, personally I've found that the answer is ‘none of them’. Every company I've ever worked at (more than one, all software development) has used Exchange for email, even if it's the only Windows machine in the building. Of course, those companies had to satisfy various federal requirements which Gmail doesn't satisfy out-of-the-box.

So do you have any kind of source?
>>
>>36070
>Exchange
exchange is the joke
>The plural of ‘anecdote’ is not ‘data’.
this is a stupid statement with no meaning
>So do you have any kind of source?
no, do you?
>>
>>35731
>can't distinguish between two colors of the opposite spectrum
>thinking the new button was gonna help
It's like BvS, this prank was too smart for stupid people
>>
>>36070
I work with a top 100 Fortune 500 company in a heavily regulated field which uses gmail with additional security measures, as well as multiple smaller companies. It's definitely not that unusual, at least in the tech industry.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.