[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Obama: Guantanamo Bay undermines security, must be closed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: ObamaGuantanamo-0ce0c.jpg (229 KB, 1484x986) Image search: [Google]
ObamaGuantanamo-0ce0c.jpg
229 KB, 1484x986
>President Barack Obama on Tuesday vowed to “once and for all” close the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and transfer the most detainees to a facility in the U.S., submitting a plan short on specifics and unlikely to make headway with opponents in Congress.

>Obama cast his proposal as a moment to turn the page on a facility that for years has raised nettlesome legal questions, become a recruitment tool for violent extremists and garnered strong opposition from some allies abroad.

>“I don’t want to pass this problem onto the next president, whoever it is,” Obama said, in an appearance at the White House. “If we don’t do what’s required now, I think future generations are going to look back and ask why we failed to act when the right course, the right side of history, and justice and our best American traditions was clear.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/congress/pentagons-guantanamo-closing-plan-lays-out-costs-savings/2016/02/23/c3fe8258-da28-11e5-8210-f0bd8de915f6_story.html
>>
>>25135
>“I don’t want to pass this problem onto the next president, whoever it is,”
Whoever it is is going to reopen Guantanimo - and expand the facility!
>>
>>25135
>>25138
http://www.inquisitr.com/213971/cia-secret-prison-polands-leaders-admit-black-site-existed/

http://www.ibtimes.com/cia-black-sites-secret-prisons-where-us-held-its-terror-suspects-1747795

Inqistr other article about a network of secret prisons in the US mysteriously dispeared from it's sight. But yeah there's one in Manhattan.
>>
>>25135
Hasn't he been saying he's gonna do this since 2007?
>>
>>25169
Yes, and he's been blocked by Congress from doing it 3 different times.

>>25138
I highly doubt whomever the next president is want to pay $100 million a year just to keep it open.
>>
>>25135
Did you pull these quotes out of his 2003-04 presidential campaign? He was supposed to close Guantanamo 8 years ago. It was part of his mandate, as well as ending the wars. I don't understand how liberals still love him so much, and I'm a liberal who voted for him (regrettably). Not voting for Hillary either because she's the biggest warmonger of the current administration.

I guess he's desperate to make his legacy a positive one, it's a good start...
>>
>>25199
>2003-04

I did not just confuse Obama with John Kerry lmao...
>>
His entire speech was a lie.
>>
>>25205
>tries 3 times and fails because of congress
>GUISE HE'S LYING HE ISN'T EVEN TRYING
>>
I sawr on the telley, some republicant giddy like a schoolchild explaining to the pained stoic pbs anchor how their constitutional responsibility was in fact to deny the president because he had signed into law a few months earlier a bill that specifically forbids the prez from allocating funding to transport federal prisoners or something.

A funny joke,

I see these folks playing perverted games for sake of their entrenched positions against stewardship

I guess as long as their health benefits hold out they think it doesn't matter how bad of a job they do

Or maybe that is a deeper charade, middle management the real mvp
>>
Oh wow so we send them to the US and probably continue every fucked up thing going on there at the new location. Big whoop.
Theres dozens of these CIA blacksite torture dungeons anyway, this is just the one meant to absorb all the attention
>>
It's just going to be blocked by congress again ? He can't just predict what the outcome is going to be ?
>>
>the right side of history
"ISIS WANTS you to protect yourselves"-tier argument.
>>
>>25193
>Yes, and he's been blocked by Congress from doing it 3 different times.

You mean he sat on it when he could have easily gotten it done and instead saved it for use as a ploy. Even when the republicans didn't have both houses of congress locked, he had plenty of opportunity and did nothing.

Now that he knows he can't, it's a big deal so he can act like it's the Republicans fault.

Like most of his policies and promises, it was never anything more to him that a talking point to be used as a political weapon.
>>
>>25135
This should have been a top priority for him, along with the security of his people
Instead, it's a lame duck afterthought
>>
>>25344
>lame duck
The president isn't a lame duck until November when the next president is elected. Words have meaning. You can't just change the meanings of things to fit your agenda, anon.
>>
>>25556
A lame duck president is somebody who can't get anything done... Is that the case for Obama right now?!
>>
>>25594
That's not what that means, anon.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.