[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fed stress-tests idea of negative interest rates
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_inline_mn1m92mTTK1qz4rgp.png (106 KB, 200x224) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mn1m92mTTK1qz4rgp.png
106 KB, 200x224
http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2016/02/02/fed-stress-tests-idea-of-negative-interest-rates/

We could be paying the banks to burrow our money. What could go wrong?
>>
>>20974
you know that's not for everyone right? it's designed to get rich people to spend their money instead of just playing it safe.
>>
How would negative interest rates help? Everyone would just pull out.
>>
>>20974
>We could be paying the banks to burrow our money.

You mean interest rates? Or do you mean account fees where we pay the banks to hold our money for us?

Cause that shit is already happening.
>>
>>20974
I thought the point of a negative interest rate was that the bank would pay *YOU* to take the loan? Thus creating a massive cash influx because there is no risk to taking a loan.
>>
>>21054
Well, except that the inflation could mean you're closer to breaking even.
>>
>>21044
I don't pay shit

>inb4 bank takes most of what they earn on my interest

If this happens I would divest from my bank so fast, it would be almost be comical.
>>
>>21043
They are usually paired with both withdrawal limites and withdrawal penalties.
>>
>>21043
This. Then criminals would start mugging ultra rich people. This would be a mistake on multiple levels because it would change the dynamics of our country drastically.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/28/bank-of-japan-adopts-negative-interest-rate-policy-reuters.html

Japan is going to test the water and see if it's retarded or not, but it's fairly retarded and the results will be obvious.
>>
>>20974
>We could be paying the banks to burrow our money. What could go wrong?
they want (rich) people to invest their money in the real economy. it actually works.
>>
>>21106

This.

The problem is stagnant money. Negative interest is an effective method of getting money back into the economy.
>>
............................................________........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\.........
>>
>>21043
not if we make physical cash illegal
>>
>>21112
So you'd be forced to use cards instead of cash to purchase everything and be forced to pay your bank for the right to do so? Sounds like a great idea!
>>
>>21097
>This. Then criminals would start mugging ultra rich people

at least the wealth of the ultra-rich would actually be redistributed in that case. actually you know what you have a great idea there
>>
"redistributed" Because you think your entitled to something someone else worked for. What's next "income inequality" for McDonalds single white moms who fucked some black dude, and wonder why he disappeared?
>>
>>21243
right because the current system of the ultra-rich locking away their wealth rather than putting it into the economy is working out so well for the common person. you can't earn wealth that isn't being made available no matter how hard you work
>>
>>21242
That's worked out great with every country it's been done in. USSR and French Revolution were by far the best places to ever live.
>>
>>21112
Dollarization in foreign countries requires circulation of physical cash in and out of the US. As does the black market and drug trade which also prop up the economy to a degree.
>>
>>21165
you dont have to pay for debit, plus there is no necessity for banks to hold the oligopoly on debit cards
>>
>>21246
No. 3rd world shitholes with high income inequality are.
>>
>>21283
so the US? ;-)
>>
>>21284
kek
>>
>>21283
>>21284
>>21285
>1 minute apart
Samefag
>>
>>21287
not at all, stay butthurt tho
>>
>>21287
if image replies were enabled I'd show you you're wrong lmao

>>21290
my nigga
>>
>>21291
we can do the following: let's both reply at 20:19:00 central time
>>
>>21242
See
>>21112

Criminals won't even beat the government to doing it first.
>>
>>21112
Yeah we can go back to using mud balls and community points
>>
>>21280
>"I'm going to open a debit card business!" says man that later commits suicide with 3 shots to the back of the head
>>
>>21081
Banks make 5% on the capital they hold using saving accounts as leverage. Even at a good credit union, you probably get less than .25% on your account. No one is going to give tangible returns on a risk-free liquid fund.
>>
>>21043
loans become more attractive and people put much less money in savings accounts, increasing liquidity and encouraging spending.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.