[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Richest 62 people own as much as half the world's population:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-18/oxfam-uses-global-wealth-report-to-highlight-inequlity/7096688

[side story]
World's richest 10pc produce half of global carbon emissions: Oxfam
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-03/richest-10pc-produce-50pc-global-carbon-emissions-oxfam/6996164

The 1% is now the 0.001%

Discuss.
>>
Half the world's population lives in the sewers of Africa, China, and India.

Fuck 'em
>>
>>20307
This is one of those articles that's posted 50 times a year. Who. Fucking. Cares?

Boohoo, 100 people worked really hard to earn a shitload of money. What am I supposed to do? Sour grapes? Implement communism and take what isn't mine?

This is a bad thread.
>>
You know goddamn well it's not as simple as that.
>>
>>20315
"worked really hard"
this often iznt the case, luck is often the primary factor, with effort coming in second.
people that succeed in life contribute more to their effort then luck. there has been studyies on this. even while playing monopoly, the winners attribute the victor to themselves, while there may be some skill, luck is the ruling factor.
>>
>>20330
>this often iznt the case, luck is often the primary factor, with effort coming in second.
>people that succeed in life contribute more to their effort then luck
Contradicting yourself

>even while playing monopoly, the winners attribute the victor to themselves, while there may be some skill, luck is the ruling factor.
Real life =/= board game.
Details you don't see/know about that others work in their favor to produce desired outcomes =/= luck.

Git gud
>>
>>20315
You literally can't hope to amass even 5% of their wealth and power even if you work twice as hard as them every single day of your life, because most of that money comes from either having the luck of being born in a incredibly rich family to start with or from incredibly specific circumstances which most likely won't repeat in this century.
>>
>>20332
>You literally can't hope to amass even 5% of their wealth and power even if you work twice as hard as them every single day of your life,
Not with that attitude.

>because most of that money comes from either having the luck of being born in a incredibly rich family to start with
Families made that way through the hard work of family members that came before.

>or from incredibly specific circumstances which most likely won't repeat in this century.
Circumstances I'm sure you can't name, or predict how they won't come about for anyone working their ass off to obtain something higher for themselves than whatever cap someone else deiced to place on their lives.

This post and every single one like it can be boiled down to:
>just give up, accept you're going no where, let higher powers take care of everything for you, they know whats best
>>
>>20334
>Not with that attitude.
No. It's literally impossible that 62 people are working harder than over half of the rest of the world's population, or literal thousands of millions of times harder than the average american. Nobody could stand that kind of exertion.
>Families made that way through the hard work of family members that came before.
Nobody gets rich and powerful by being a good person. It's less hard work and more opportunistic sociopathic behavior, in almost all cases.
>Circumstances I'm sure you can't name, or predict how they won't come about for anyone working their ass off to obtain something higher for themselves than whatever cap someone else deiced to place on their lives.
Take Bill Gates. It's literally impossible to recreate the circumstances which led to the founding of microsoft on the present day.
>>
>People make too much money
>Like, they totally shouldn't be allowed to make that much money, and junk
>Look, these 50 IQ peasants shitting in the streets barely own anything, you have to give them things
>Oh oops they lost it all gambling and drinking, give them more or you're racist
>>
Why are people such ardent defenders of the inherent superiority of rich on here?
>>
>>20331
>Contradicting yourself
He didn't? He's talking about conformation bias, granted his message is messy.

>Real life =/= board game.
>Board games exist in real life
>being this stupid
Blatant trolling aside, he uses the example of a game of Monopoly to explain conformation bias. How the winner would see all their moves as leading to a victory and that replicating the plan again would lead to another victory. This ignores the random element of dice rolling(luck) and the other players and the impact they have on the game.

In order to play Monopoly you need to roll a die, your luck.
Every decision you make is based off yours and the other player's rolls.
The other players need to roll a die, their luck.
Every decision they make is based off their and your rolls.
>>
>>20344
class warfare
>>
>>20315
>worked hard
Nepotism, stealing ideas and being born sitting on oil isn't working hard

Only a cuckold would defend this return to feudalism because they actually believe capitalism allows them to get rich. Temporarily embarrassed millionaire syndrome is the biggest cancer to Western society
>>
It's really frustrating that so many people still think that the relationship between hard work and success is a 1:1 ratio with no other factors involved.

>If you work hard you'll be rich. Poor people are only like that because they're lazy.

So I guess the people who have worked 80-hour workweeks since childhood are a bunch of lazy freeloaders.

>Well, there's the factor of intelligence too

Intelligence doesn't mean shit if you never got the chance to go to school because you had to spend 16 hours a day sewing sneakers so your family didn't starve.
>>
>>20307
oxfam is a joke with an agenda.
They frequently post false stats about their finances to make people believe their money isn't just being wasted (not hard to check if you know anything about charities).
So, i don't mind just going with "this story is bullshit".
>>
>>20315

>worked hard

shouldnt be sucking trump cock on reddit?
>>
>>20376

(citations needed)
>>
GIBS ME DAT
>>
>>20371
Working hard does not just mean going to school and getting straight A's. I know people who went to college for engineering and are failures. I know people who nearly dropped out that are doing well. I know people who didn't finish that are doing just fine, but had to slog through a few crappy jobs first.

Working hard means working towards more than what you are now. It means getting recognized as better than your peers so you can get a promotion, and if your job is shit, it means looking for a better job. Yes, it's hard. Yes it's very hard when you're working an 80 hour week. But the payoff is worth it.
>>
>>20404
I understand all that, but it's just so hard to get into people's heads that there are factors involved in financial success outside of a person's own personal work ethic, skill and intelligence. So many people's opinions on economics is based on the underlying principle that "Financially successful person = smart, hard worker; Financially unsuccessful person = lazy unmotivated moron".

And that advice is worth less and less the lower on the income bracket you go because it's exponentially more difficult to act on. How much room for promotion do you think there is in a sweatshop that employs illiterate children for cents a day? Or for someone born into a village ravaged by AIDS and malaria without enough food to go around?

I know compared to the US those are extreme cases, but the concept still carries. There's affluent people seriously who think that some kid raised on food stamps who goes to a school without heat has the exact same opportunities to succeed as their kid who came out of the womb with a five-figure trust fund provided they both put in the same amount of effort.
>>
>>20393
(provide your own, quit hiding behind the burden of proof and engage in actual idealistic combat, you fucking coward.)
>>
>>20414
>stop using facts and shout opinions at me you pussy

This has to be bait
>>
I hate this percentage bullshit (thanks OP the dicussion, though). I don't give a fuck about inequality of income. I like the idea that you can have as much as you earn working.

My problem is corporate practices.
My problem is that what makes you end ahead in business (of any size) is sometimes working hard, and sometimes shitting on someone else one without repercussion. And some type of people seize both opportunities without wincing.

Large companies invest a lot money in paying good accountants and evade hundreds of millions in taxes.
I knew a guy who stole bricks and cement from government funded programs, half of what he needed to complete a construction project.
A very prestigious company screwed my friend by simply not paying for the work he did. Not much money, but it was two months of work. And it worked only because my friend fell for the "too prestigious to behave like that" meme, and because they know he was the type of guy who would get stepped on, and because they have very good lawyers and are basically untouchable.

I once saw an online game, with ludicrous jumps at the top of the highscores chart. I said those were cheaters, and a friend argued that I was just sour because I'm not that good.
The truth is, I knew how to cheat the game, make a small script to get basically the score I wanted, and I read about other people who actually did. The chart invariably put those people at the top, and for someone who knows the cheat, it's crystal clear the chart is a lie.

If you disregard me as whinning loser, just know that there are people fucking you in the ass and you choose to side with them only because you don't like that I complain about someone penetrating you.
>>
>>20339
Yeah and what about all those rich people that fuck up their money on drugs and whores and cars and expensive houses, have to file bankrupcy and screw over their hard workers that inadvertently made them rich by having no job for them anymore, while all they did was piss away all of their money? Shut the FUCK up.
>>
>>20409
>tfw have opportunities
>tfw squandering it all addicted to posting on 4chan
>>
>tfw you'll never find an easy way out of the system
>>
>>20481
>very good lawyers and are basically untouchable.
We should make lawyers and their practices illegal and invalidate any laws not written in layman terms so clearly a ten year old cannot fully comprehend them.
The spirit of a contract should be the word of a contract.
>>
>>20315
>Boohoo, 100 people worked really hard to earn a shitload of money.
People actually believe this.

There's no way to get super-rich without taking the surplus labor of workers and you know it. It's literally impossible. Delete all the poor people from the world and you will have decades of stagnation and zero social mobility followed by an eventual decline. I'm shocked that the average American thinks like you do, but I just attribute it to the poor quality of your public education and move on with my life.
>>
>>20484
Nobody owes you anything. If you don't like the way a business is run then go start your own.
>>
>>20369
>>20330
>Nepotism
inheritance only lasts so long its gone after 2 generations if not properly managed.

>>20392
Correction, sanders is blown on plebbit, trump is sucked off on /pol/

>>20529
not with that attitude there isn't.
>>
>>20332
Work smarter nigga, not harder.
>>
Shit god dammit I hate inequality so fucking much. When will there stop being people with more wealth than other people and that's very important and probably bad I guess somehow.
>>
>>20307
We already had something like this it was called feudalism. We're basically seeing assasin's creed come to life before our eyes
>>
I'm fine with some inequality, especially if it's earned, but this is just dumb.
Nobody has a real use for that much money. Nobody has a real use for a tenth of that much money.

And nobody with any kind of basic human empathy would keep that much to themselves when there is so much shit that needs doing.
>>
>>20393
1/2
Some basic facts:
Oxfam used to claims 90% efficiency, they've dropped it down to a "more realistic" 80% (see their website for the claim). As in, they used to claim 90% of income goes to charitable causes.
Let that sink in first. That would mean they barely pay any rent, that they should not advertise, or that it should be all free and that they should not do any canvassing, as that is about 30% efficient at best*.
No concerts either, as those are generally a publicity stunt, that just about pay for themselves, so that drops efficiency down as well.
Let's put this into perspective a bit now. They run the most primetime adds of the "efficient" charities.
Any other charity that runs primetime adds non-stop is completely inefficient. Keep in mind, they boasted 90% efficiency when you had daily ads on primetime TV.
Certain amount of ads for charities can be free in some countries, but not in the countries that genereate the most money for oxfam.
Oxfam has, and had as well for a long time, the highest paid CEO in business. Additionally, they have the highest paid staff in business.
Any other decent and efficient charity runs at 50%. Local charities, that barely have any payed staff, do not run adds, the staff is far from the best paid in the business.
Local charities often get properties given (loaned rather) to them for free. I know, I volunteered for a few. Prevents the place from becoming run down, so the owner keeps the property value of the building.
50%.
Have you asked them for proofs of 80% efficiency yet?
>>
>>20393
>>20611
2/2

Some more quick math for you.
Charity shops are about 50% efficient, due to rent, staff costs (again, oxfam has the most expensive staff), electricity, free collection expense (hence, some more staff cost and other charges)... anything over that is very good.
Oxfam claims 20% of their income comes from charity shops. 20% * 50% = 1-% -> you are already on 90% efficiency right there. And you haven't taken into account the biggest inefficiency sinks yet.
There is also the head office cost.
Basically, anything else needs to be 100% efficient. No expense whatsoever, to get to 90%.
Again, keep in mind, primetime ads, highest paid CEO, highest paid staff.
There is no math you can do to justify 80%, let alone 90%. Some of these people should be sent to jail for fraud.
And I haven't even touched what the "well-spent" money is actually spent on.

Oxfam is about 20-30% efficient. At best, maybe upper 40s. The rest is pure lies and manipulation.
They kind of admit it here, they just blame it on others instead.
http://www.oxfamamerica.org/take-action/campaign/food-farming-and-hunger/food-aid/
Just a glimpse to how the figures are massaged.

*Canvassing is essentially a pyramid scheme of sorts. You promise money to canvasser who signs you up. As long as you are paying, they get 50%. The remaining 50% is split between the person/agency who hired the canvasser and the charity that hired the agency. There are usially more middlemen though.
>>
>>20612
20% * 50% = 10%.

Also, >>20393 have you asked oxfam for proofs of their claims yet?
>>
>>20611
>>20612
>math
>facts
What about some sources instead?
>>
some people are hard at work today, aren't they?
>>
>>20827
You bet. Mortgages don't foreclose on themselves, you know.
>>
>>20546
> inheritance only lasts so long its gone after 2 generations if not properly managed.
Inbreeding. Keep the inheritance in the family. It doesn't even have to be that close; look at the family trees of European royalty and you'll see how many kings and queens were cousins.
>>
>>20584
Shh, you're ruining their powertrip.
>>
>>20481
>If you disregard me as whinning loser, just know that there are people fucking you in the ass and you choose to side with them only because you don't like that I complain about someone penetrating you.
/thread
>>
That's okay with me. I don't give a fuck about all that jazz. I only want a good working environment and workers not to be treated like shit.

I wonder how many people wanted to hit it hard, started acquiring companies, made bad decisions and got bankrupt, though. You only hear about the big boys who have managed to make billions upon billions, but never about those who have failed.
>>
>>20330
>>20332
>>20369
Ignorant morons.
Wealth such as theirs takes generations of hard work and proper management to actually amass.
Read a goddamn book, start with
"The Richest Man in Babylon" to get an understanding of how wealth and inheritance work.
>>
I am sure many of you don't care, but most of america's millionaires did not inherit their wealth and are first generation rich. The beautiful thing about this country is that if you create something of value, something that the market is dying to have but doesn't know it yet, you can get insanely rich. I am an engineering student but have always wanted to be an entrepreneur and am working on my own startup right now. Most startups fail, but the ones that win, win big. Stop crying about not having money and go out and earn it!
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.