[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Editing Human Embryo DNA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 1
File: Capture.png (80 KB, 205x210) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
80 KB, 205x210
Dr Niakan is trying to gain permission to edit the DNA of human embryos. The article is http://news.sky.com/story/1622179/scientist-applies-to-edit-human-embryos What do you guys think about this. Should she go through with it? Is it horrific and should be stopped? Please post your opinions about this, I'd like to know your personal opinions on the matter.
>>
China is already doing this. In America, however, scientists have made artificial bacteria. The DNA of this bacteria was literally put together from scratch by a computer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma_laboratorium
>>
>>17342
You're rather biased against this OP. I think this should happen for science but not in the sense you are thinking.

I'm more interested in the psychological aspect that people will be having to deal with. That they were made, and that they Made someone. How the public reacts to the people Made is also of interest to me.

I'm expecting a tribalistic view of 'Us', the natural borns and 'Them', the genetically alter people, to occur. I believe, as I see the world now, that harsh restrictions imposed on these people because fear mongering will take over. Quite possibly, they will be labeled as dangerous individual or freaks that come to take away humanity. Mostly I think it will go far south should the experiments be undertaken and not for the reasons of actually doing research. If the public or people of power, who view themselves as self-righteous, might be so emboldened that we have a race war, it's not so far off as to imagine a genocide we witness to completion.
>>
>>17380
And after reading the article, I read to much into OP or rather OP did not convey the message of the article at all, the embryos are destroyed after seven days. No genetically alter humans for the near future I see.

Ah well, I can infer that OP is probably pro-life. My opinion that this should continue still stands.
>>
It's about fucking time.
>>
Reading the comments on that article rustles my jimmies. Fucking god faggots are always hindering tech advances with their "stop playing god" which is ironically playing god themselves.
>>
>>17405
It's more about fear over what people are messing with. People don't fully understand how the human brain works, a good piece of it is guesswork. Now they're trying to make a person from scratch? It's not hindering science, it's asking why we must do this in the first place.
>>
>>17380
>Naturals vs Coordinators
When do I get my mobile suit?
>>
>>17342
Is there an international law that prevents this from happening?
>>
>>17412
Stop with the we don't understand the human brain crap it's pretty well understood on a fundamental level, and even on an advanced level. Currently using magnets we can actually temporarily shut down regions of the brain to simulate specific injuries or neurological conditions. It's really cool actually. We also understand the brain well enough to base computer algorithms on it so they can learn. I hate to break it to you but editing human genes is way within our grasp the hardest part is the legal paper work. Not only that but as a kid in preschool I knew a kid named Mikey who had a degenerative nerve issue that killed him when he was 8 he died unable to cough up his own mucus this technology could save others from the same fate.
>>
>>17412
Also I should tell you they are not making a person from scratch mearly modifying the gentic code for a fertilized egg that's going to be incenerated after 72 hours. This is pretty basic stuff I mean we genetically modified mice so they would glow in the dark
>>
>>17466
We can trace instinctual actions but nothing involving conscious thought, aside from where it originates from
>>
>>17412
>we don't know how it works so we should never try to understand how it works
Go sit in the stupid corner, stupid.
>>
>>17439
>Is there an international law that prevents this from happening?
Of course not. Why the hell would there be?
International law deals with the interactions between nations, so shit like conventions of warfare, extradition treaties and territorial negotiations.

>>17342
Could be interesting. This has the potential to massively enhance our understanding of the progression of early development. My only question is whether we could get far better data if we wait another year or so for CRISPR to mature a little more; my understanding is that it's a little less selective in its targeting than other methods in exchange for the flexibility, which probably muddies the results a little. However, it's possible that that's a non-issue in this situation.
>>
>>17342
Genetically engineered catgirls for domestic ownership. Thank you.
>>
>>17342

The scientists were too preoccupied with whether or not they could, they never stopped to think if they should
>>
>>17504
I just don't understand why they don't just relocate.
>>
>>17485
Reading comprehension is a invaluable thing. Finishing high school might help you develop some.
>>
ban it
we dont want splice or other bullshit
>>
also this sounds like a way to further studies.
cant she just study the develpment without removing genes?
>>
>>17509
It's hard to just up and move a research group like that.

>>17514
We've basically already done that as far as possible years ago, you can't really gauge much beyond seeing how fast the cells increase and when things superficially differentiate. Understanding what's actually causing and controlling any of it requires you to start taking things apart, or in this case, switching certain things off or on.
>>
>>17512
Not him but, he's right in criticizing that anon. Although the leap was made, it is not an unlikely assumption, or happening, that inaction leads to inaction.

If you need help, it's doubt of one's knowledge of something and then saying because we don't know anything about it we shouldn't try the proposed idea out. >>17485 criticism is accurate, he is shaming anon for trying to prevent people from learning about the subject.

>it's asking why we must do this in the first place
>>
If a doctor told me, "your kids going to grow up to be a 4channer, but we can change his DNA to make him a 10/10 normie who will go out make money, and marry a very fuckable wife and move out by the time he's 20"

I think I'd go for it.
>>
>>17541
Kek

On a side note, I'd recommend a movie on Netflix called 'The Machine'
>>
>>17342
Genetically engineered catgirls when
>>
>>17554
>catgirls
>being a fugging plen
Slimegirls is the only true patrician choice
>>
>>17507
This
>>
She looks nice.

Go for it!
>>
>>17342
Gene manipulation is the future, and will be what truly saves mankind, as it will lead to homogenization as it will slowly eliminate the lesser humans.
>>
>>17569
This guy gets it.
>>
>>17540
Somethings are unethical. Having a human embryo grow, fiddle with it, observe the effects, then dispose of it sounds completely unethical. It's highly unlikely they will be allowed to. Getting permission for human trials on anything is extremely difficult. This was allowed in the UK some years back. Not sure what it accomplished there but this almost certainly won't get cleaeance in the US.
>>
>>17590
It'll get clearance in the US once we steal it from China after they work out the kinks.
>>
>>17590
the embryos already exist and are ultimately consigned to be destroyed as a part of the in-vitro process, it's not like they're being made for the experiments.

at least this way there's some good coming of them.

>This was allowed in the UK some years back.
no it wasn't; this researcher is in the uk and it's the first application for it.
>>
>>17426
Kek
>>
>>17591
>once we steal it from China after they work out the kinks.
>anything chinese made
>no faults
>worth of being stolen
It is 2016 and you still don't know Chinese research is worth literal piss and they are famous worldwide for stealing research through students,blackmail,bribery etc

No one copies patents and outright appropriates intellectual property like those inept manlets do.
>>
>>17592
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/animals/using/hybridembryos_1.shtml
>>
We needed this ten years ago.
>>
>>17342
Is good. Like. Continue.
>>
>>17569
>Slimegirls
>patrician
Ha! That's a laugh.
>>
>>17554
>>17569
Incidentally I'm a genetics major, among a few of my mad scientist schemes i have in the back of my head is catgirls/whatever

But here's the kicker how much are you willing to pay to get a shot at dating a catgirl?
>>
>>17617
Bout three fiddy
>>
>>17600
That's an incredibly different kind of experiment.
You aren't using a human embryo there, just taking any old human nucleus and slotting it into an animal egg cell. You could skim the nucleus from a cell in your own arm if you wanted.

This research involves using actual human embryos.
>>
>>17617
Can't you just invent women that like sex instead?
>>
>>17651
Maybe we can eliminate the y chromosome. Bless every human with the joy of being a little girl.
>>
>>17651
My woman likes sex a lot.. Mainly cause of my skills
>>
>>17660
Something something women can impregnate oyher women with genetics extracted from bone marrow
>>
>>17660
Yay, now we can all be irrational.
>>
>>17380
>I'm expecting a tribalistic view of 'Us', the natural borns and 'Them', the genetically alter people, to occur
I want to be the billionaire selling gundams to both, tbh fam.
>>
Now we can make children of the future filthy (insert lenny here)
>>
All these pop-scientists keep warning about muh killer robots and muh AI, but no one gives a fuck about genetic engineering or transhumanism
>>
This sounds problematic. Like they're going to make everyone white in the future
>>
>>17733
Im glad someone else was thinking this
See you around on /m/
>>
>>17342
From a moral standpoint, so long as he doesnt do anything intentionally harmful IE giving it a disease on purpose or killing it, there is nothing wrong about it.
>>
>>17342
>permission
Nauseating. No one has any claim or right to stop this research.
>>
Do it, do it, do it!

For real though,she should really be allowed to go through with this.
>>
>>17473
Just because you want to believe in duality doesnt mean the evidence points to that shit.
>>
>>17342
Unless they plan to do something stupid like changing random genes and seeing what happens, I think this should have been started back when we were first able to identify which parts of DNA control what.
>>
>>20159
>Unless they plan to do something stupid like changing random genes and seeing what happens
this sounds like a good idea imho
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.