[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Houston Press: GAMERS HAVE BECOME THE NEW RELIGIOUS RIGHT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: 1452759315617.png (9 KB, 257x196) Image search: [Google]
1452759315617.png
9 KB, 257x196
>There was a time back when I was a teenager when I could always count on organized protestors of a particular religious bent to get together and try to shut something down. Usually it was something they hadn’t even seen or heard or read, and I know that’s true because Harry Potter is the most popular Christ story since the original, and yet it’s been a constant presence on challenged books lists since 1999 for promoting un-Christian witchcraft.

>Those people are still around, of course, but in the tech-centric social media world they’ve been supplanted by a new group with different uniforms but a startling similar aim. Gamers, specifically right-wing reactionary gamers, have become the new religious right looking to blast art they don’t like from the face of the Earth.

>It’s kind of an odd thing to have happened. Once, there was a pretty significant debate over the censorship of video games. Video game activist Jack Thompson crowed that violent games made people shoot up schools, Doom was accused of promoting devil worship and Congress held hearings on the subject. Much of the rhetoric calling for the censor or banning of games was coming from the same voices who protested Marilyn Manson and Dogma. Games were often already heavily censored by the American branch of Nintendo, with the bloodless Super Nintendo port of Mortal Kombat being pretty much the entire debate in microcosm.

>However, though there was a lot of talk about official censorship there was never really any serious chance it would happen in America. Video games were declared free speech by the Supreme Court in 2005 in a 7 – 2 decision, and Nintendo had given up their dream of completely family-friendly entertainment by 1994. Mature content became a badge of honor to the gamer community. It was proof that the medium couldn’t be stopped by moralistic thugs determined to protect us from ourselves.

https://archive.is/xUstV
>>
>>16890
Pretty much! It's the same with /pol/ and the new Star Wars film. Even moreso for sideways spectacles /pol/. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>16890
Seems a but silly since the opposite (people trying to shut down games they think are "offensive" or intolerant) is also true and far more common
>>
>>16896
This
>>
>Guys sitting around their basements playing galges and fightan gaems don't want to be told what to do by fat childless lesbians from Canada
>This makes them the new boogeyman

Nice to see the ass blasting of the most retarded segments of the left on full display lately.
>>
>have become the new religious right looking to blast art they don’t like from the face of the Earth.

Oh the complete fucking hypocrisy
>>
>>16938

>Guys sitting around their basements playing galges and fightan gaems don't want to have their ideas challenged because the reality of the world scares them
>>
>>16940
Video games aren't reality.
>>
>>16945
Exactly, people who spend all day playing games are escapists. They can't handle it when their basic world view is challenged and they lash out.
>>
>>16947
I play games to escape from reality, but it's because the real world is shit.

The whole idea is that you can make a living and succeed at things that simply aren't possible, or you aren't fit enough to do.

Even janitors want to save the world from terrorists/dragons/undead every now and then.
>>
>>16890
>Uppity leftists SJW Dykes keep trying to fuck with vidya games.
>SJWs now claim all gamers are racists, misogynist, homophobic, Christian, fascist, terrorists.
>>
>>16963

Thats cool man, thats what they are for.

But people who spend all their time doing that? The kind of NEET that games all day and then goes on the internet all night - that kind of gamer is not likely to have a sensible approach to the world.
>>
>>16998
Attacking a group of non-identifiable people reinforces group stereotypes of the attacker and victim in one fell swoop. Proposing a vague straw man and then to him knock down in the next breathe is flawed at best and puts forth a very narrow view of the world.
>>
>>16947
What world views are being challenged, the fact that they likes tits and ass?

PROBLEMATIIIIIC
>>
>>17010
Im sure you felt very smart writing that but thats a whole load of neaningless platitudes. You're wearing words like a jacket, speak plainly. Do you mean to say I am generalising? Of course I am, thats the only way to discuss a group of people.
>>
>>16947
Fuck you, you fat lesbo cunt.
I work my dick off every week, if I get home and want to play some fucking space engineers or GTA, it's none of your fucking business.

I wish these fat dykes and white knights were more violent, so I could beat the blubber of their backs.
>>
>>16947

so what are some games these Gamers have tried to censor or remove?
>>
You know I used to think the first requirement of being a journalist was "dont live under a rock" but I guess I was wrong.
People who dont get out much shouldnt be writing articles, after all they have nothing to say
>>
>>16890
>problematic
>deconstructing
>rhetoric
It's always those 3 words
>>
>>17013
Not him but nigga you're doing the same thing. Fuck off, we are anon here just fucking talk.
>>
>>16947

Why do they need to be challenged? Who are they harming sitting in their basements eating Doritos?
>>
>>17096
They are harming everyone by being cis white male scum
>>
>>17095
>https://archive.is/xUstV

>>17089
Related Stories

Would You Believe There Have Been Only 14 Playable Black Women in Gaming?
>>
>>17097
What? Do people really think this? Lol... pathetic.
>>
>>17110
>Do people really think this?
Have you been living under a rock or something?
How can one browse 4chan and not know this?
>>
Actually id say the SJW "critiqers" are more like the old religious protesters alluded to in this "article". It just gets tiring to hear fat ugly SJW try to mess with the first amendment because they have nothing better to do. This is similar to how protesters wanted Harry Potter censored for not appealing to Christian ideals.
>>
>>17110
I knew anti TS rhetoric was frowned upon. But didn't realize it was a crime (in their eyes... lmfao) to be a straight white male. As biology INTENDED. The word CIS is a fabrication and shouldn't be used.
>>
>>17115
>didn't realize it was a crime (in their eyes... lmfao) to be a straight white male
Just google white privilege or male privilege or cis/straight privilege
>>
>>17089
You forgot reactionary. They like that one too.
>>
can't we all just agree to stop poking our noses in others' business?
>>
>>16896
"Hatred" was released. And we all laughed at it. Pacifist playthroughs revealed that the AI was against you even if you didn't do anything. The Devs dropped the ball in many respects. It's a dull plop of a game. The genocide obsessed loner is a compelling archetype, but the game handled it awfully. Compare to "Undertale", a game that did homicidal killing sprees right!
>>
>>17153
Genocide route was pretty dull
And if you're going to say it was bad on purpose, then I'll say I choose not to like it on purpose, too.
>>
>>17155
Really? Huh. Did you play the other routes to compare? I thought the extreme contrasts in environmental details was interesting.
>>
>>17106
>Would You Believe There Have Been Only 14 Playable Black Women in Gaming?

It's a click bait title from an older article. In the article they ignore player created characters and characters from other franchises. They make the spectrum so narrow for the clicks.
>>
>>16947
No let me tell you why I play games. Games have fun and generally balanced rules . Our reality is that every thing is rigged against us and there is nothing we can do look at taxes, racial discrimination, the fact that all men are not created or treated equal is more readily prevalent than ever. Tell me what would happen if you got a dwi and killed 4 people you would go to jail for years but in Texas a rich white kid gets to stay at rehab ridding horses. Want to get a nice job in the police industry or any union you better have a friend or family member in it. Not only that but look at our policy abroad we can invade and kill shit tons of people in Iraq based on a lie, yet no one has been charged with war crimes. We have nukes yet the second any other nation wants nuclear weapons we shut them down even though the theory of nuclear detterance has proven it's self to be the only thing preventing wars (look at India and Pakistan ) the fact is that games and fiction generally offer a better reality than real life, to those who are not blind to the worlds misery , we numb our selfs with fiction as we have seen and failed to change the horrifying monster we call civilization. Now tell me how those how go around blind to the issues in the world are any better than those who chose to live in fiction.
>>
>>17106
Would you believe that black females also make up a microscopic portion of the gaming community. Look if I'm writing a story to make money I make it for the people who spend the most money on the medium and that happens to be young white males. Btw this is comming from a fucking quadroon
>>
>>17115
No I think the actual crime now is just being stright male and productive
>>
Don't know if any of you grew up in a liberal state. But this is was they always do. These drones call anyone who was not a Democrat or just question a Democrat ONCE on one issue and imply they are a Nazi.

Now there was some pushback from gamers who are being sold games wich are 90% political agenda 10% shitty game play, so obviously they are just racistsexistbigotedhomophobes RETHUGLICANS! And the first people to throw that out there are the gaming press that are paid to like this shit.

The only evidence I've seen of them being right wing is a lot has them noticed the only journalists and pundits that aren't lying about them are on the right. So these leftist activists who have no interests outside of being a liberal asshole are creating a generation of conservative gamers, just like they alienated working class whites to the point the shifted right.

But leftists need a target to sure up their power base, so guess what gamers. TAG! YOU'RE IT!
>>
>>17213
>Now there was some pushback from gamers who are being sold games wich are 90% political agenda 10% shitty game play
The appropriate response would've been to just ignore these games, not buy them and let the free market do its thing
>>
>>16890
>guys we need more transexual bipolar pansexual spirit turtles in videogames
>no
>WAAAAAAA HATE SPEECH. TRIGGERED HARD
>>
>>17170
What gets me most is that these people seem to think that video games are supposed to be representative of a community. I don't get why they can't just accept that most people who make video games are nerdy white dudes, and they're going to self-insert just like anyone else would.
>>
>>17238
they realized that, that's why the there now petitioning to remove games from sale that dot agree with there brand of leftist politics
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.