[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poles protest government moves to neutralize top court
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 0
"The Law and Justice party, which took power last month, controls both houses of Parliament and the presidency, leaving the constitutional court as the only effective check on its power. The government recently has moved to stack the court with its supporters, and plans legislation that would essentially make the court unable to work."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/poles-protest-government-moves-to-neutralize-top-court/2015/12/19/5ed35c8a-a690-11e5-9c4e-be37f66848bb_story.html
>>
>>10511
Welcome to 2009 Romania.
>>
>>10511
The constitutional court is a joke, it has no power to overrule laws established by the parliament. It was all a slick plan made by the ex-gov who knew they will get destroyed in October elections.

In June, just four months before the election, they came up with a plan-create a fourth pillar of power that would question every reform applied by new government, effectively stopping any changes deemed unnecessary by EU. Too bad Jarosław (leader of the ruling party Law and Justice) has a Doctor of Law and knows the rules like the back of his hand. He will not only stand his ground, but eventually, when the time comes, hit back at the corrupt, so called "pro European"(aka pro Berlin) opposition that believes "Poland exists only theoretically"(this is an actual quote of the former Minister of Foreign Affairs).
>>
>>10541
So you are saying the current government is in the right?
I know nothing about Polish politics.
Is there a part of the country who think themselves as not polish? and in that case what are they then?
>>
>>10541
The constitutional court not withstanding, just how powerful is the Law and Justice party's standing? Just how sweeping of a reform can they pass before requiring something like a supermajority in one of the houses?
>>
>>10543
The closest to that would be Silesia. Before the war Silesians had an autonomy and there is a relativley loud movement recently opting for restiring this autonomy. Other than that- not really, we're really homogenic.
>>
>>10577
Lower house (Sejm) 235 out of 460 + 42 from a cooperating party (Kukiz '15)

Higher house (Senate) 61 out of 100.
>>
>>10780
>>10577

Considering the Law and Justice receives full support form Kukiz '15 thye can pass any act except for e.g. amending constitution, dismantling the parliament (though they lack only 30 votes for that). They would be even able to restart an act vetoed by the president (who is also form Law and Justice)
>>
>>10511
As a Pole I can say that normal people that dont interesting in politic have this in ass.

This "prostest" were made by oposition party that have butthurt about last election.

If you want you can ask questions.
>>
>>10778
which were supported heavily by PO (former rulers). Gee, I wonder why
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.