[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Company Invents Software That Bypasses AdBlocking Addons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 1
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/83436.html

>As consumers turn to ad blockers to avoid advertising on their mobile and computer screens, marketers and content providers who depend on pitches to pay the bills are searching frantically for ways to counter the pesky programs. BlockIQ offers them one.

>BlockIQ, owned by AdSupply, which recently merged with Adaptive Medias, has launched BlockBypass. The software can detect users of the popular ad blocker AdBlock and perform a number of countermeasures, including circumventing the ad blocker.

>Websites can configure BlockBypass as aggressively as they wish. They can just educate a visitor about the harm of ad blockers to websites that depend on advertising to stay alive. They can refuse to serve content to a visitor until an ad blocker is disabled for the website. They also can choose a nuclear option and bypass the ad blocker altogether.

>"The incredible growth of ad blocking has reached the tipping point where sites will no longer be able to operate," BlockIQ CEO Justin Bunnell said.

>In the last 12 months alone, use of ad blockers has risen 41 percent globally, bringing the number of worldwide users to 198 million and costing publishers US$22 billion, according to PageFair's 2015 global ad-blocking report.

>"If ad blocking continues unchecked, it will eliminate the advertising revenue websites need to survive," Bunnell noted. "It is like expecting a movie theater to stay in business when 30 percent of their audience does not pay for a ticket."
>>
> Online Extortion

>Marketers have criticized ad blockers not only for costing publishers revenue, but for squeezing money from advertisers, too.

>"Ad blockers are extortion," said John B. Strong, CEO of Adaptive Medias.

>"The big ad-blocking companies will whitelist an advertiser's ads if they pay a fee. If you don't pay them, they'll block your ads," he told TechNewsWorld.

>"We don't think that's a fair situation at all, and our technology defeats it," Strong added.

>Asked if it was ethical to bypass an ad blocker without notifying users, he answered: "The ethical question is, why should anyone assume they should be notified before they steal someone's content?"
>>
> Cat-and-Mouse Game

>Eyeo, maker of the most widely used ad blocker, Adblock Plus, has been taking payments for years from companies, including Google and Microsoft, to allow some of their ads through its filters, according to the Financial Times.

>Since 2011, Adblock Plus has something it calls the "Acceptable Ads" initiative. Advertisers and publishers who participate in the program can get their advertising whitelisted in the ad blocker if they agree to create ads that meet certain user-generated criteria. However, users have the option to block those ads, too, if they so desire.

>Ben Williams, operations and communications manager for Eyeo, has never encountered an ad blocker that accepts payments for whitelisting ads regardless of their properties, he said.

>"That's obviously unacceptable," he told TechNewsWorld. "Our Acceptable Ads initiative clearly states the opposite: upholding our criteria is absolutely mandatory and users can always opt out."

>BlockIQ is joining a list of companies that have chosen to fight against users in a cat-and-mouse game, Williams added.

>"It's an old game, and we're quite happy that we have always been on the side of users," he said. "Some of the options they offer publishers are tame -- the welcome message, for instance -- but others are blatant antiuser tech, like attempting to reinsert ads where users have chosen to block them."
>>
> Better Ads Needed

>Products like BlockIQ have their place in a marketer's toolkit, but they shouldn't be the focus of a marketer's anti-ad-blocker efforts, maintained Gavin Mann, global broadcast industry lead for Accenture.

>"Trying to slow them down and frustrate them is a good thing to do but shouldn't be the top focus," he told TechNewsWorld.

>"That's what the music industry tried to do when it tried to block piracy. In the meantime, it missed the opportunity to more rapidly create its own services that were more appealing to the consumer," Mann said.

>"You're never going to outcompete with this technology," he added. "There will always be a next wave of ad blockers. If you put one company out of business, there will be another to take its place."

>Ad blocking could continue to rise because consumers are becoming more and more annoyed with ads, according to a global survey of 28,000 consumers performed by Harris Interactive for Accenture and released last week.

>More than eight out of 10 consumers (84 percent) complained to surveyors that ad interruptions were too frequent, and 73 percent groused about ads not meeting their personal interests.

>"Audiences are accustomed to a personalized experience in the content they're watching," Mann noted. "If the ads aren't relevant or delivered in a style that doesn't feel unique, then they become invasive to that personalized experience."

>The long-term counter to ad blockers is not finding ways to circumvent them, but to produce better ads, he continued.

>"There's an opportunity for marketers to provide a more personalized advertising experience that's less intrusive," Mann said. "If the intrusion is about a product I care about, then I'm more likely to accept the intrusion as appropriate."
>>
related:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/27/the_case_for_ethical_ad_blocking/

http://adage.com/article/digitalnext/future-internet-stake-ad-blocking/303649/

http://www.businessinsider.com/ad-blocking-software-has-200-million-users-2016-4-27
>>
Wouldn't it just be easier to design a webpage to make ad blockers unable to tell the difference between ads and the desired content resulting in everything getting blocked?
>>
>>41613
dumbass
>>
One of these days someone is going to design an adblocker that works through this shit and ad companies are going to realize they have limits as to how far they can shove bullshit down people's throats.
>>
Personally, I will always block ads because I consider them brain damaging and and insult to my intelligence. I don't want them, so we need to find a better way to support site owners. Advertising is a no-go for me. I doubt I'm the only one.
>>
>>41613
There are sites that do this. It's really easy to identify ads these days because they're all hosted off-site by some intermediate party (Google, Adzerk, etc.). If you don't use any intermediaries and simply have an agreement with some company "We will put this jpeg file on our front page for X months", and you host the jpeg file right next to header.png and under_construction.gif on your server, it probably will get through all adblockers.

Of course, then there's no trusted third party counting your eyeballs and clickthroughs, and you have to negotiate contracts yourself instead of being part of a global pool. Plus, writing HTML and saving files on a server is for dweebs - the cool kids just flick a switch in their 4MB AJAX-based CMS UI and enter their affiliate token. Life sucks, huh?
>>
>>41523
>use adblock to avoid having banners and popups shoved in my face anytime i go online
it was fun while it lasted. Time for ad blocker to step it up
>>
Just block the ad server's URLs in the hosts file (aka, redirect them to 127.0.0.1).
>>
>>41523
Advertising Companies need to learn to respect their consumer. When their ads are not so gratuitously in your face and disruptive to the actual content of the site, people won't be forced to use apps to block them altogether. I think Adblock Plus is the best route because it allows a certain amount of non-invasive ads that are necessary to keep the site running.
>>
>>41663
If the ads were just an image hosted by the website I'm visiting I wouldn't care. When ads are hosted on third-party networks that can and do carry malware, I'll keep blocking them.

>>41717
This is the only way. Block them at the source.
>>
>>41523
It won't stick. It will be bypassed and broken and I won't touch any site that uses BlockIQ until it is.
>>41718
They're not going to respect anyone. They're taught in marketing classes how to be as obnoxious and forceful with their bullshit as possible.
>>
>>41523
>It is like expecting a movie theater to stay in business when 30 percent of their audience does not pay for a ticket
what kind of idiotic mentality is that?
people who go to the movie theaters pay tickets to see movies
people RARELY GO to websites to check advertisements, but for the content the website itself actually provides. unless its amazon or such.

the lot of these greedy fucks don't care what you want or what you need. they just care for what crap they can charge you with.
>>
my home use openDNS account already solved all this add bullshit. i can whitelist a site but, it will block its ads cause they vary from "ecommerce, to gambling to entertainment etc." in combination with one of those overlay "subscribe/sign-up" removers it works gud
>>
>>41523
HAHAHAHA!
> g-guys it's n-not nice to use adblock
> I-it's abusive.
> what do you mean ads are agressive, goy?
I don't understand why ads are a thing on the internet. Are there people that listen to them, click them, go to the source ?
Also if your content's main revenue is from ads, then it's gutter trash. See utube, facebook,4chan etc.
>>
>>41523
Any sites that serve ads (especially malicious ones) and rely on them as their primary income, I couldn't care less if they go down

Even 4chan tbqh
>>
>>41717
>Company Invents Software That Bypasses AdBlocking Addons
And why would anyone want to install that?
>>
>>41523
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nubAEjdZCQY
>>
>>41613
>unable to tell the difference between ads and the desired content

We call that "main stream media."
>>
>>41753
The end-user obviously isn't supposed to install it, it's for websites to configure themselves
>>
>>41754
How does that fucker have over 100k subs?
>>
when a site shoves popups in my face or denies me access because i use an ad blocker i just stay le fuck away from it
>>
>>41750
Can you imagine a world without 4chan?

It would be an amazing place.
>>
>>41837
No joke it would. This place has not and is not benefiting any of our lives, not to say any Internet cancer is moreso, but especially this place.

Sometimes I'll drop in on r9k and it really does astonishment me just what kind of endless circlejerk cesspools this place facilitates.
>>
I use adblock not to block ads, but to block annoying as fuck popup, scrollup, with sound bullshit ads with hidden close boxes.
>>
>>41613
>>41641
>>41663
I don't know how that works but nyaa.se host ads images on their own domain with (apparently) randomized names:
http://imgur.com/kSu6kWj
>>
>>41855
you can still hide those using the element picker
>>
>>41840
That's the thing. If 90% of ads weren't as annoying as they are nowadays, Adblock wouldn't be a thing. But instead marketers decided to make flashin pop ups and all that bs... So guess what happened?
>>
>>41523
This already exists. It's a script called "Fuck Adblock". They've already made a Fuck Fuck Adblock.
>>
>>41875
Fuck fuck fuck
>>
>>41955
A constant, never ending cycle of fucking.

The long story short of it is, as long as the client is required to download the files needed for the site and load them into the browser, they cannot stop manipulation of those files/data. Long story short there will always be ad blocking.
>>
>>41523
>ompany Invents Software That Bypasses AdBlocking Addons
and the EU declared that shit illegal

suck it,fags
>>
>>41964
>A constant, never ending cycle of fucking.
http://45.media.tumblr.com/b542cebd6bfc5c234ebd5374210ca66c/tumblr_o1bku0tftC1tjydheo2_500.gif
>>
>>41523
>"It is like expecting a movie theater to stay in business when 30 percent of their audience does not pay for a ticket."

And there's one of those popcorn sellers from baseball games screaming during your movie.
>>
>>41719
>If the ads were just an image hosted by the website I'm visiting I wouldn't care

So the best solution to ad block is for websites to be the ones to host the ads instead of having a 3rd party host the data?
I could see that working.
>>
>>42007
Advertisers would contact the websites directly and place their advertisements on those websites. It'll be between two entities and much less of a shitshow compared to the current model of advertising networks that don't practice any form of security or respect for user privacy.
>>
>Fucking malware loaded ads everywhere
>Adblocker is released
>Ads try to bypass Adblocker
>Addon bypasses Adblocker-blocker
>Adblocker-blocker-blocker is released
>Addon bypasses Adblocker-blocker-blocker
>Adblocker-blocker-blocker-blocker is released

It goes on and on, because there's just no fucking way anyone is going to tolerate ads in the way that they currently function. The only way for it to change is for the consumer to benefit from advertisements, which they don't.

Pay consumers to look at ads, even if it's just a fraction of a cent, and they will do so willingly. Look at mobile markets, incentivizing ads for their in-game currency. That's smart, it's effective. Doesn't even cost anything really.
>>
>>42026
There are websites out there where you can get paid to fuck around and watch ads, do surveys, and basically sell yourself. Or your fake personality.
>>
>>42079
Yeah but most of those aren't worthwhile in terms of time spent be payout. Video games work because if you already enjoy the game, then you have no problem doing some mundane task if it brings you that much closer to a new virtual hat.

I'm not sure how I feel about completely subsisting off of stuff like mTurk or surveys or adviewing, but you should at least be able to supplement your income. I could do hundreds of tasks for a pittance, or I could do one article for $50.
>>
>>42026
I feel like this is inevitable anyway.
Similar to the malware/anti-malware arms race. In favt theres tons of overlap between the two as ads frequently contain malware and malware frequently contains ads.
Also, te circumventing of each new layer of sophistication that the other side of software produces is somewhat similar.

Ads are and are going to continue to be a problem like malware. Frequently everyday users experience some small amount of them or might have one inhabiting their machine and slowing it down a little, but sophisticated users will have and use the tools to get rid of the annoyance. Ads and malware will continue to prey on the elderly and uneducated.
>>
>>41809
So it's something that wouldn't get past NoScript? Cool.
>>
I never blocked ads when they were just inconspicuous banners, but ads have become far more pervasive over the last few years to were 24 to 80 of network traffic is ads, not to mention the malware in ads.

Until ads are less annoying, less bandwidth hogging, and safer, they must be blocked
>>
>>41523
just in case anyone is interested, it's not exactly hard to bypass

just avoid describing the ad itself with any of the buzzwords that triggers the block

I've done this even
>>
>>42112
Presumably, it's not run on the client side. It would probably be a plugin for apache/nginx/whatever, perhaps changing "Send data" to "send ad, including unique tracking code. Wait for communication with third-party ad server. Once confirmation that ad has been received by user is passed on to server, send data". This would be more effective than you might think at first glance, since a major selling point of most modern adblockers is to prevent network transfer of ads at all (thus saving bandwidth).

In the worst case scenario, this may escalate into a CAPTCHA-style system, like the infamous https://www.google.com/patents/US8246454 (see image 10). Just as sufficiently determined users will make sure that they don't see ads they don't like, sufficiently determined advertisers will make sure that users don't see content without ads. Of course, this is not a contradiction.
>>
The vast, vast majority (like 99 percent) of the content I personally enjoy is user generated by people that don't really need ad revenue. If the internet goes back to pre-commercial status like when I was a kid I won't give a flying fuck. Entire industries appear and disappear overnight all throughout history. Record labels complaining about piracy and anyone complaining about adblock is like a steam locomotive complaining about the combustion engine. Who cares. get rekt
>>
Who the fuck cares? If a website can only sustain its existence through advertising, it's content must not be worthwhile.
>>
>>41523
A banner loaded on my phone when I went to hit a link and it cost me $9. Ads can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>41523
>>41738

sorry but it's true that the kind of services you enjoy today are reliant on advertising to survive, meaning that if the use of Adblock persists and becomes more ubiquitous, it will force such services to change their business models or go out of business.

Look at it this way. YouTube currently makes its money from ads. This is like us 'paying' a certain amount of our time in exchange for a free service. It may be in the future that, if all advertising is eliminated, this implicit form of 'payment in the form of our time' that was once the agreement will be forced into a more explicit 'just pay us money' model, say, a subscription fee.

No ads is simply unsustainable! We're in a nice middle point where the suckers who dont know what an adblock is take the hit, and we get away for free. But if the scales shift too far and everyone gets too savvy about blocking ads, it WILL change.
>>
>>42278
>!
This always give away the bait
>>
>>41837
>>41838
You guys are retards.

All you would do is scatter 4chan residents to all corners of the internet where they would fuck up everything.

Personally I like this place and it doubles as a filter for the rest of the net.
>>
>>42278
Fuck them
>>
>>42318
>4chan resident
>would fuck up everything
We're no boogeymen, and if this site died we'd all be forced to move on with our lives. Win win, in the end we're all just a bunch of normal shitposters who share knacks
>>
>>41655
>Personally, I will always block ads because I consider them brain damaging and and insult to my intelligence.
this
>>
>>42354
You just described the entire internet pre 2007. Congrats anon.
>>
I used to watch and see ads. Then I got older and money. My time became more valuable to me.
Non targeted ads are cancer.
>>
>>42278

Yeah sure, I'll totally pay Youtube to watch videos that other people make.
>>
>>41523
>It is like expecting a movie theater to stay in business when 30 percent of their audience does not pay for a ticket
Shit makes no sense. Why do people still rely on the ad-model. It was always retarded and still is. The internet is a newspaper sub. I payed for the sub(isp) and websites are the newspaper. I have unlimited access to ALL of the newspapers bar the few with requirements to obtain them. Whether that is registering to them personally or paying an extra stupid fee to access it. The creator of the newspaper obviously has to pay for it, but I don't. It's free. They voluntarily put it up without any pay restriction. I can access this whenever I want, how I want and they can't stop me, except, I guess, by ip blocking me. However, it cost money to provide it, so, they can add ads. They have two ways. They can be annoying fucks and have the dumbass annoying ads everyone uses that gets in your way or you can have them out of the way with them still being there to catch the users eye. For them to gain that money, I have to view them. I am, however, NOT required to view them. At. All. I can willingly not view the pages they are on or outright remove them from the pages. They won't get money when I do this, but I'm not required to view these things nor am I interested in them. That's it.

Blocking ads isn't morally wrong and you're an idiot if you rely on it as your main revenue.

>>41855
Nyaa in-lines their ads. You'll find most people are pretty ok with these kinds as long as they aren't intrusive and there is no chance of being getting various kinds of malware ads normally give out.
>>
>>41523
>The software can detect users of the popular ad blocker AdBlock and perform a number of countermeasures, including circumventing the ad blocker.
How is this even news? Websites have been detecting and refusing access for adblock users for ages.

https://reek.github.io/anti-adblock-killer/
>>
Static ads? aight I wont pay atention to them anyway
"Close this ad to access content"? Depending on the site I might whitelist it
Pop up ads? Not a chance, I dont want that shit
>>
>>42442
Because the majority of people won't pay to view stuff. Just look at the butthurt Youtube Red caused.
>>
>>42484
What happened with it? Or are you talking about random threads on 4chan?
>>
What is with the narrative that adblocking software is some corporate software that has its own financial goals? I realize that there are adblocking software out there that are trying to leech money off users themselves but most people I know use adblockers that are made by hobbyists because the developer needed the software too. Hell, most websites I use are the same way. Made by hobbyists who want to share information, not make money.
>>
I fucking hate ads but I do like to see competition. Without ads we will lose a lot of good content so hopefully they can keep up. Im a serious pirate but I thought it was great news when a studio was able to publish an uncrackable game or 2.

http://denuvo.com/

We need the competition from both sides.
>>
>>41667
No ads. **EVER.** Advertising Is bandwidth theft.
>>
>"We're losing money from our ads not showing"

Please explain to me how these companies make money after paying for banner ads and YouTube ads and gifs on the side. I just don't get how a company could profit off of that

Is it some theoretical thing statistic majors do in basements?
>>
>>42690
>Is it some theoretical thing statistic majors do in basements?
Yes
>>
>>41523
instead of thinking up ways to bypass and force us to stop, how about thinking about why we use it? We got sick of popups, redirections, ads with sound and or video/animation and take take up too much space. Think up new ads that don't annoy us and make them us block them. This isn't TV or radio where ads are inescapable. Adapt or die off.
>>
>>42278
It's true that ad-block users benefit from the chumps who don't use them and that the benefit won't last forever. This doesn't mean, however, that we must now bow down and take the holy ad-dildo up our ass as commanded by the propheteers. This simply means that the industry must remodernize and release ads that won't be invasive on the user and that will account for the proper time and place to have them. See >>42697.

>>42458
It's true, but not all websites do this yet e.g. youtube, and thank Dog for that.
>>
>>41523
lmao... if a company actually uses this software... it will be like the republicans threatening a brokered convention because the popular vote doesnt support their party line... the people have spoken! just like gop voters have made trump their candidate, the popularity of ad blocking software is an indication that people dont want intrusive ads... better to spend time coming up with an alternative (like subscriptions) than to play a one-up game with ad blocking software providers
>>
>>41523
Well, if these thumbdicks are potentially legislating anti-adware as illegal, nevermind being undefeatable in the short-term--I say be THE BIGGEST grade-A as hole consumer.

Demand the product does as advertised; never settle for placation. Keep escalating until you get what's advertised.

And these idiots wonder why people stopped buying shit like the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>41523
>use ublock origin
>hover over ad
>right click and "block this object"
>>
>>42697 give this man an award. he put it in words!
>>
>>42875
subscriptions my ass
>>
>>41524
>The big ad-blocking companies
These exist?
>>
>>42278
Kill yourself, advertising is cancer and needs to die as a whole, it contributes literally nothing to society.
>>
>Bypassing addons

Who the fuck still uses addons? Waste of memory and slows page loading. Just add this list of every known ad server to your hosts file.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

There you go, no ad in any webpage, software, etc ever again on your PC. It's updated constantly with new servers too.
>>
>>41523
Well if the ads weren't so intrusive maybe I wouldn't block them all of the time. I don't need my CPU fan spinning up, my dedicated GPU turning on, and some flash plugin blaring the sound from an ad every time I view a page.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.