[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Depends on what you're doing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: disc-trucker-15_sv_930x390.jpg (63 KB, 930x390) Image search: [Google]
disc-trucker-15_sv_930x390.jpg
63 KB, 930x390
>Surly Disc Trucker.

700c or 26"?
>>
>>978612

Doesn't matter, but I ride 26ers on my touring bike.

In general 26" wheels and tires are heavier than 700c wheels and tires. They're also more durable IMO, although that is debatable.
>>
>>978612

it usually 700c for first world countries and 26" for third world countries.

it's about part's availability mostly.

I wouldn't get a disc trucker tough.
>>
>5'10 700c
<5'8 26"
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 500x363
>>978612
>Depends on what you're doing
>700c or 26"
It's like a weird-ass quiz where he reveals the answer first
>>
>>978612

I would go 26" for the super-fat 2.0 schwalbe marathon supremes. put em on some wide ass rims and the tire diameter is similar to 700c but super comfy
>>
>>978682
Jeopardy?
>>
>I wouldn't get a disc trucker tough.

Why not?
>>
any other bikes similar to the disc/LHT?
>>
>>978742

I hate surlys fetish for horizontal top tubes and the resulting chimney stacks that are needed for a comfortable riding possition.

I'd go for a genesis cro de fer / cro de tour oder a specialized awol.
maybe a marin four corners ?
I'm actually really hot for an awol.

depending on what you plan on doing a kaffenback could suffice
>>
>>978784

also , If you build up yourselfe, consider something like a road+ setup.

650b x 42mm tires are the same diameter as 23mm 700c wheels.
as suggested 26 x 52mm might also be interesting but need lots of clearance side to side..
>>
>>978785
wish i got a 650b desu
>>
>>978612
Are you going to be doing serious, long-distance, self-supported touring?

If the answer is "yes", and you're not close to 6 feet tall, get the 26". Waaaay more parts availability around the world, especially outside of first world countries. The wheels are stronger as well. A lot more choices for tougher tires if you're going off of well-paved roads.

If the answer is "no", why the fuck are you getting a LHT? The LHT is heavy and handles like a pig, and there are a lot of other nice bikes that will be much more enjoyable to ride while unloaded but will still do fine for shorter or lighter tours.

Examples: Salsa Vaya, Soma Double Cross.
>>
>>978784
>comforrable riding position
Having a saddle to bar drop of over a cm would be comfortable for you if you werent a crippled fatarse.
>>
>>978813
Not when your bike is loaded down with 75lbs of gear and you're in the saddle for 8 hours a day.
>>
>>978742
You will get a slightly stronger wheel with the canti version.
>>
>>978834
(dished vs non-dish wheel)
>>
>>978682
>dat pic. dat comment.
I keked. 5-star post.
>>
>>978834
>>978835
That's hardly a concern for the bikes intended usage (mountain bikes see much harder use and do fine with dished wheels). If anything discs are an advantage as it doesn't really matter if the rim comes out of true.

Also if the rim brake version using road hub spacing the difference is even smaller.
>>
>>978888
Depends on what you care about. I agree with you that I would not worry about it, but I know some super-hardcore globe-trotting tourers get obsessive about wheels.

Yeah, mountain bikes see harder hits, but the duty cycle is low. A heavily-loaded tourer sees is loaded way high *all the time*. And a non-dished from wheel is one fewer kind of spare spoke to carry around.

That said, being worried about this sort of thing is irrelevant for all but the most ridiculous tourers.
>>
I just bought a brand new 26, it just feels right, like you look at it and know its up for some shit
>>
>>978612

Smaller frame, get the smaller wheel. Alternatively just get onboard the sled and buy an ECR. Best goddamn touring bike ever made goes anywhere. Put 2.2-2.5" road tyres on and they eat up road like nothing, put 3" knard and ride on dirt like it was pavement.
>>
>>978808

You're one of those guys, right?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.