[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Butterfly bars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9
File: img_4061.jpg (70 KB, 667x500) Image search: [Google]
img_4061.jpg
70 KB, 667x500
Please redpill me on butterfly trekking touring euro bars

Are these basically useless if you aren't mounting a million gadgets to your bike like a sperg?

I mean, an MTB bar with long bar ends gives you basically all the positions and none of the autism am I right?
>>
>>976610
I have that same bell
>>
heard they were the rage in germany. though strapping a million gadgets seems to nullify the entire point, i.e., a dozen "hand positions."
>>
what are those things that look like sci fi grenades
>>
>>976642
Probably bear spray for use on a various types of wild animals.
>>
muh
>>
File: img_0546.jpg (843 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
img_0546.jpg
843 KB, 1600x1200
trekking
>>
I have one. They are VERY comfortable. The downside is flex if you apply force while climbing a hard slope. If you buy one make sure it has a curved, not straight lower position.
>>
>>976632
Not just Germany. I do touring and I've seen them in France, the Netherlands, Denmark and Italy. They are not that common. You mostly see them on upmarket touring bikes. Britain seems to prefer drop bars.
>>
>>976650
I have that same bell
>>
>>976683
Which one is the "lower" position ?
Would you rather refer to them as the distal and proximal position please
>>
>>976610

They're pretty much only good for loaded touring. And by good, I mean they're actually a great choice if your bike came with flat bars.
>>
>>976650
Aren't those bar ends supposed to flare on the outer, not inner part?
>>
Garmin E-Trex Vista HCx

Pretty good but needs a larger screen.
>>
>>976735
Proximal
>>
File: rage cage.jpg (94 KB, 507x338) Image search: [Google]
rage cage.jpg
94 KB, 507x338
>>976648
>for use on a various types of wild animals
>>
>>976683
>I have one. They are VERY comfortable. The downside is flex if you apply force while climbing a hard slope. If you buy one make sure it has a curved, not straight lower position.

What is comfortable about them, though? It seems like a properly set up MTB bar (with some sweep and ergon grips) + bar extensions would be pretty much the same thing
>>
>>976995
The only real difference (other than all the accessory mounting options) is the large difference in the fore and aft positions, which really isn't needed.
>>
>>977001

So it's basically like

> can't properly fit your handlebars?
> slap a butterfly bar on it, one of the 10 hand positions will probably be in the right spot
> "wow this is really comfy!"
>>
>>977002
You could argue the same point against drop bars.
It's not about hand positions, it's about body posture. Even with the most perfectest hand position, at some point you're gonna wish you had some
a) closer/higher position to give your back and neck a rest
b) further/lower position to hide from the wind a bit or just change the pressure distribution on your sit bones
>>
File: cockpit.jpg (382 KB, 1500x851) Image search: [Google]
cockpit.jpg
382 KB, 1500x851
>>977024

good point. I'm gonna put one on the wife bike

>>976683

Any Idea where to find these? They're all straight down there

These are some old model Zoom brand bars that aren't made anymore afaik :(
>>
>>976650
>>976862
Yes they're supposed to be on the outer side. That's also gotta be the ugliest "bartaping" I've ever seen
>>
>>977150
Looks like a sleeve, not tape.

Not as bad as the foam on >>977099
I fucking hate that shit.
>>
File: 20160510_184525.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160510_184525.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
toured 1600 km through central europe on flats with bullhorns, it was ok but i would have preferred real hoods and drops

saw a lot of old people with the butterfly bars or on mountain bikes
>>
>>977024
Yep, 100% spot on. It's not just about different hand positions, it's about different body positions as well. Butterfly bars are great for a variety of hand positions as well as upright + stretched out body positions, but you're still higher and can see better in the stretched position. There's really no need for an aero dropped position on a touring bike.

In addition, butterfly bars have better compatibility with MTB shifters, and touring bikes generally have MTB drivertrains. Those low gears are really necessary for hauling heaving loads up mountain passes, and post-8/9/10-speed-era MTB and road gear doesn't play nice with each other.

>>976995
Having tried touring on a flat-bar bike with barends before, the problem was that bar end extensions ended up spaced SUPER wide, and it was frankly pretty uncomfortable for extended periods of time.

Since then, I built up my touring bike with Salsa Cowchipper dropbars (short reach/shallow drop) which are pretty comfy, but butterfly bars look really tempting.
>>
>>977349
>the problem was that bar end extensions ended up spaced SUPER wide
Put them inboard of the grips.
>>
File: 20160708_111942.jpg (1 MB, 2889x1886) Image search: [Google]
20160708_111942.jpg
1 MB, 2889x1886
>>977024
Why not both? I live in the windy north and solved it with these bad boys, all thee comfort of butterfly bars and for lower positions and with headwind the armrests. It's a bit full but as you can see with my hand, theres enough space for braking without touching the armrests.
>>
>>976650
>two handlebars
you are trying too hard
>>
File: IMG_20160619_160349.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160619_160349.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>977794
The problem with this setup is that out of the 4 main hand positions, the controls are only available in one.
On drop bars it's 2 out of 4, 2.5 with interrupter levers (you get braking but not shifting).

>>977164
Where did you go? And where did you sleep? I kinda want to ride through Poland and camp innawoods, but I'm scared at the same time.
>>
>>977854
where in poland?
>>
>>977856
Everywhere, hopefully.
>>
>>976650
Why did you wrap fruit roll-ups around your bars?
>>
>>977152
Well i find the best combo to be foam then bar tape over it.
>>
>>977164
>post-8/9/10-speed-era MTB and road gear doesn't play nice with each other.

Even 10 speed MTB/road component hate each others. You either have to hack a solution or use SRAM and SRAM sucks.
>>
File: u go tbars.jpg (184 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
u go tbars.jpg
184 KB, 375x500
>>977819
two handlebars is barely even a cockpit

the beerfag bottlecap shit can fuck off tho
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.