[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /n/, just passing by. How do you wear a helmet without it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
Hey /n/, just passing by.

How do you wear a helmet without it fucking up your hair? I want to ride my bike to work but my hair always ends up looking like pic related.
>>
Being bald helps.
>>
>>976533
I tried that once in high school (with a really short haircut), but it just made me look like a neo-nazi.
>>
>>976533
helmetfags confirmed for baldies
no wonder they hate on people with full heads of hair who don't have to cover their shame
>>
>>976535
>made me look like a neo-nazi

That's a good look.
>>
File: 5x22-Hairmet.jpg (124 KB, 899x685) Image search: [Google]
5x22-Hairmet.jpg
124 KB, 899x685
>>976529
Ask for hairmet at your LBS. It has more room so your hairdo is intact and keeps you safe.
>>
>>976529
Just carry a comb with you.
>>
File: large_fall-cycling-2011-thumb.jpg (305 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
large_fall-cycling-2011-thumb.jpg
305 KB, 1600x1600
>>976529
> wearing a helmet
wew
>>
Wear a cap underneath the helmet
>>
>>976600
I wear a buff type tube under my helmet that covers my ears and forehead. Keeps sweat out of my eyes, my ears from burning and my hair from getting messed up too badly.
>>
Understanding the direction of growth from the root helps. Comb all your hair in the natural direction of the root before you apply the helmet. This will stop it from being bent in an unnatural (and often painfully uncomfortable) position. The hair shafts will be able to bounce back much easier than if you had forced them to buckle on themselves.

You can also wear a hairnet (or a beanie if its cold outside).

But the main thing that keeps your hair stuck in "helmet shape" is all the sweat that dampens your skin, the follicle, and the hair. Wetness will cause those cells to become very flexible and weak, and if you let it dry, it will retain its shape. But its near impossible to sweat LESS, esp with extra materials pressing against one of the warmest parts of your body, with your spongelike hair sandwiched in between.

On a bright sunny day, evaporation is your best friend. At stoplights you could take the helmet off and brush your hair out to periodically fluff it back up and eliminate some moisture, but reseating your hair is annoying, and probably unsanitary if you use your hands.

Ideally you should wash it at your destination. If its short, washing shouldnt take more than 3 minutes, just like washing your hands. I reccommend you use soap because using only water may just spread bacteria around and allow your skin to become porous and dilute bacteria-filled-sweat, allowing it to be reabsorbed much more quickly into your scalp, which is way more gross than a simple bad-hair-day.

Your helmet is probably loaded with germs, so your hair probably needs a wash after a ride, regardless of how sweaty your scalp gets.

Or be a total hypocrite like me, I live by the equator and have long thick dark hair and a beard and dont even own a helmet let alone wear one. I just cycle where there are no cages.
>>
>>976529

cycling cap and never take it off until I get home.
>>
>>976603
Okay
>>
>>976595
this
I'm not afraid to die.
>>
>>976706
Unfortunately, I live in a nanny state where there's a $319 fine for riding a bike without a helmet.
>>
1. Ride to work
2. Park bike in your office's designated bike area
3. Remove pannier containing office clothes, comb, hair product, deodorant. Leave designated grocery pannier still mounted
4. Go down the street to gym
5. Place sweat-soaked lycra in pannier. Shower, check yourself out in full length mirror and realize how good looking you are. Towel off, put on clean clothes, comb hair
6. Return to office
7. Replace pannier on rack

Wow that was hard I recommend making flash cards so you don't forget
>>
>>976529
You could try just not giving a fuck. Or bring a comb with.
>>
File: where.jpg (28 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
where.jpg
28 KB, 400x267
>>976805

>designated
>>
>>976706
that's real edgy but you're not going to die, you're just going to turn into a vegetable and you'll be just as retarded as you are now
>>
Have long hair, helmet hair isn't really a problem.

>>976805
>leaving damp clothes in the pannier

Do you really do that?
>>
>>976932
I hang them up in the janitor closet when I get back to the office, but yeah, they go in the pannier after I change. What else would I do with them? Drape them over my shoulders? Wear them over my office clothes?
>>
>>976962
Yeah that makes sense. It just sounded a bit like you left them to rot there.
>>
>>976908
really nothing will happen because I've never ever hit my head in a bicycle crash, maybe I'm just skilled.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.