[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a right and wrong way to ride a bike?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: iggQs.jpg (120 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
iggQs.jpg
120 KB, 960x960
I don't know jack shit about bicycles.
About a month ago I bought a mountain bike to commute to work. Today I have discovered a different way to ride my bike. I don't know if it's supposed to be the right or wrong way, which is the purpose of this thread.
So far I would normally just grip the handles and pedal normally. Today I realized that using my full body makes cycling much more fun. To be specific, I realized that the allocation of the weight is of outmost importance. When pedalling on the left, I grip with my right hand and push all of my weight on the left side, and when pedalling on the right I push all of my weight with my left arm on the right. It is extremely exhausting, but:
1)the strain overall is much more, but the strain on my legs is less (so I can go for longer rides, faster)
2) I'm actually going faster, goddamn
3) It definitely helps exercising much more in comparison to the previous way (especially just below the butt)

So the question is: am I doing it right? Is this even a thing? Do people on races do this or does it kill stamina?
>>
>>974950
This is why mexicans need to build a wall
>>
>>974950
Rocking the bike from side to side underneath you is normal when you ride out of the saddle, standing on the pedals. And riding out of the saddle is normally done when you need to put out extra effort during a steep climb, or to sprint, or just as a way to stretch your legs during a long ride.

If you're shifting your weight around that dramatically while seated then you might have an issue with your saddle height, but otherwise nope, nothing odd about that at all.
>>
>>974950

Keep a relaxed upper body.
>>
SPIDER CLIMB
>>
>>974950
>I bought a mountain bike to commute to work.

Do you work in the mountains?
>>
I always laugh when I see someone pushing a really heavy gear slowly lurching side to side as they churn out 30 rpm while seated.
>>
right way, with a helmet
wrong way, without a helmet
>>
>>974971
This.
Biggest mistake noobs make is selecting too much gear. When in doubt, downshift ans spin faster.
>>
>>974971
it's always some MTBfag on his knobbies, clattering down the asphalt as his walmart bags sway from side to side dangling precariously from the handlebars as he struggles to keep his pants from falling down

MTBs should be banned on the day of the coral reefs
>>
>>974964
PEAKU SHPIDER
>>
you're literally grinding

press F to pay respects
>>
>>974967
>ride road bike to work
>working on the road
>>
>>974950
Why do normies buy mountain bikes when they never go off road?
>>
>>975646
They don't. They buy mountain bike shaped objects. They don't understand dynamic riding posture, so they plant all their weight on the saddle, just like they would in a cage, and then they need fat tires and suspension to deal with every little bump.
>>
>>975602
Are there roads between your home and work?
>>
>>975646
idk, but in my city the road conditions are always shit, and the only people on road frames are hipsters and enthusiasts. everyone else has a commuter, hybrid or MTB
>>
>>975698
No, I just tear a rift in the space-time continuum and appear at work.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.