[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Folding Bikes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: Dahon_Jifo_16_Folding_Bike.jpg (1 MB, 4377x3273) Image search: [Google]
Dahon_Jifo_16_Folding_Bike.jpg
1 MB, 4377x3273
What your opinion of them? Are the worth the money? What kind of cyclist should consider buying them?
>>
Would be useful if your commute is multi-modal. Or if you are a trucker and wanted a bike that could fit in the cab. Or if you travel a lot and wanted a bike that didn't need an oversized case.

It would be great if there was one that you could wear as a backpack to keep both hands free while carrying it.
>>
They could be great if you could make one a functional size still fold down a lot.

I was thinking, solid rubber/foam tires, folding rims, and telescoping tubes? I'm not an engineer, so I don't know what I'm missing.
>>
>>974237

I have a paratrooper. It's not bad outside of being kinda heavy for what it is. I'd only go folding if you ride trains or fly a lot. In my case I hop trains to random towns in japan and just ride in a random direction all weekend.
>>
I wouldn't want to inflict my sweaty self in lycra on people on a crowded bus/train. And if the ride isn't long enough to get sweaty, I might as well walk and save myself lugging around 15 kg of machinery for the remainder of the day.
>>
>>974241
> solid tires
> folding rims
> telescoping tubes

Common sense is the only thing required here, no engineer diploma. There is a reason noone rides solid tires. Every joint and every connection in rims and tubes will be a source for instability. If you want to build it so that it is actually usable it will be heavy as fuck and expensive.
Plus: Folding time is an issue. The more you have to do to fold the less it will appeal to buyers. You want to aim at 10 seconds or less for folding.
>>
>>974359
There is a middle ground between sweaty lycra riding and walking. It will get you there in just a little longer than the sweaty version but much faster than the walking one.

Thing is, you would have to adjust your riding style and stop pushing for max speed. I only now begin to see the benefits in not going 100% all the time.
>>
File: Xray.jpg (90 KB, 932x843) Image search: [Google]
Xray.jpg
90 KB, 932x843
>>974237
I spent a year travelling around China with a folder. Bikes aren't allowed on long distance trains so I took a lot of buses and then bought a Dahon bag that turned my bike into luggage. After that, I went back to taking lots of trains.

pic related, Guoyang high speed rail station was almost deserted and laowais never go there, security were very friendly with me and let me photograph my bike in their scanner. It's bagged but obviously the scanner sees right through that. Al frame and Steel forks obviously.

I would rock up to a new city on train or bus and walk out of the station, use my bike bag to bullrush through the taxi touts and unbag/unfold my bike and ride off to the hotel/hostel.

It's a pretty good way to see a city desu, I went lots of places that would be difficult if I was negotiating Chinese public buses or something. I saved fuckloads of money on ripoff taxi touts and shit.

There are some very, very sweet Dahon folders, mine is something much less impressive but still decent. 8 gears, hybrid tires, flat bars with the biggest bar ends I could find. I would quite like the Dahon drop bars, hybrid tires 20 gears bike but it's fucking expensive and my current bike is something I can lock outside a supermarket and it's still there later.

I was pissed off that they wouldn't let me take my bike up on the Xi'an city walls.
>>
I got the son a folding mountain bike, primarily so that his mother can easily pick him up when it's raining cats and dogs or he has a puncture and he can just pop the bike in her car.
>>
If I won just 1k in a lottery I wouldn't hesitate to contact my brompton mafia contact and buy one. Fun to ride and the fold up so well.
>>
I own a knockoff dahon which has served me quite well. Proper maintenance and it's a dependable bike for riding busses or even on long distance rides. It's only significant downside is that hills on these bikes can be a lot more strenuous than on a traditional triangular bike.
>>
>>974453
>It's a pretty good way to see a city desu, I went lots of places that would be difficult if I was negotiating Chinese public buses or something.

Bikes are the best way to see any city. I've been to NYC dozens of times, but until I took my bike I did not have a clear mental image of the size and layout of the place. It was awesome

A folder is perfect for someone who has to use public trans or has a very very small apartment. Makes no sense for me but I like the idea. The popularity of the things is inexplicable to me but it's fine
>>
File: noded8-unfold-mr-black.jpg (458 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
noded8-unfold-mr-black.jpg
458 KB, 1200x800
>>974241

24" wheel tern close to normie size
>>
File: BOSTON-DC-Open-Final.jpg (176 KB, 1500x903) Image search: [Google]
BOSTON-DC-Open-Final.jpg
176 KB, 1500x903
>>974241

Montague makes only full-size bikes. 700c and 650b. MTBs too
>>
>>974237
Totally worth the money. I recommend getting an 8 speed at minimum so that you know it has a cassette instead of a freewheel.

They are great for commuting, especially if you can bring your folded bike inside, but would have to leave your full size bike outside. At my current company I don't have that problem since one of the execs is a randonneur had wall hangers installed.

I always ride my full size bike as fast as I can because I have a short 5 mile commute. The limited gearing of my folding bike forces me to increase my cadence or just chill the fuck out.

I don't take my folder on public transportation, but I will bring it in the car when visit family on the other side of the state.
>>
File: 00000_f3wTJX0ZEG4_600x450.jpg (54 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
00000_f3wTJX0ZEG4_600x450.jpg
54 KB, 600x448
Going to be buying this guy here real soon
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.