[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here use rollers or trainer? Which do you prefer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: R V T.jpg (180 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
R V T.jpg
180 KB, 1500x1000
Does anyone here use rollers or trainer? Which do you prefer?
>>
no- just go outside and ride you faglord. Unless you have 2ft of snow or are under water theres no excuse.
>>
>>973550
You seem to have the wrong idea about roadie mentality

If you even think about riding a bike when the temperature isn't between 61 and 67 fahrenheit, no wind, sunny skies, and 30 to 50% relative humidity, you're a shitter casual who probably can't even afford a cage

Bikes are for posing next to in your team kit while uploading stats to Strava on a bright sunny Saturday afternoon, no exceptions

God forbid we get sweaty, get rained on, or have to pedal against the wind
>>
>>973551
Cool
>>
>>973551
But can you even afford a car or a pinarello like me though, nerd? I think I can hear mummy bringing your tendies better say thank you this time.
>>
>>973551
>67 fahrenheit

bit chilly imo
>>
Rollers are better.
>>
I use both. They both have advantages and there place in training. Rollers for max rpm training, warming up/staying warm and leg openers. Trainer for higher wattage efforts and intervals. And the cs-1000 comes out for max wattage sprints.

These all have a time and place obviously, so let's not allow this thread to devolve into name calling because none of us know anyone elses situation.
>>
>>973561
Oh and I just can't do longer efforts at higher wattage on the rollers I know some people that can but I just hate it. I'm sure some can get away with owning just rollers but mine are only a foot in length and sprinting on them is not fun.
>>
I have both. I only use my trainer during the snowy winter months, I use my rollers year round. If you're gonna by one, buy rollers. They're just about the best thing you can use to up your handling skills.

And there's something comfy about listening to podcasts on your rollers while your coffee brews before work.
>>
>>973586
oh man that's a comfy thought
>>
roller guys, have any brand/model suggestions?
>>
>>973711
kreitler is what I use, come in a multiple diameters and lengths. Having a folding frame is pretty handy if you travel with them like I do, also nice for storage.
My girlfriend uses a cheap nashbar set of rollers with a larger drum diameter and a fixed frame, it's so noisy our neighbors ask us to stop if it's too late. Probably need to service the bearings.

I don't think brand matters unless you're looking for a travel set that you can fly with.
>>
>>973550

Trainers/rollers are useful for maximizing fitness on a tight time-budget. Sprint workouts in a totally controlled environment. You can consistently throw down the hammer with no regard for suitable roads, suitable conditions, or other people on the road with zero risk.

If you're not putting in hard 20-30 minute sprint sessions with all-out efforts at least 2 or 3 times a week, you're not gitting gud.
>>
>>973548
Trainers for strength & conditioning. Rollers for warmup/cardio. Trainers help you get stronk; rollers make you better at bike handling.

If you have to ask, it's one or the other, and especially if you're on a budget get nashbar rollers. They're cheap (I got some for ~ $90) & work just fine. You'd have to invest triple to get an entry level trainer & chances are, unless you're racing, you'll only use either occasionally because neither device is a substitute for just going out on a ride.

Riding inside gets mind numbingly boring after 30 minutes, too.
>>
Lol just buy an exercise bike idiot
>>
>>973548

I don't see the appeal of wearing out your bike while achieving nothing. If you can afford to spend $xxx for a trainer you can afford some proper gear.
>>
>>973904

Shit takes more space, is usually worth the price too.

That said, I only use mine when I get back from work later at night. Too many drunk retards on the road at those hours for me to feel comfortable.
>>
>>974224
Isn't*
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.