[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain the "bring a 6 pack of beer and the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17
Can someone explain the "bring a 6 pack of beer and the mechanic will suck your dick meme"?

I don't understand. If the beer is worth less than the fee, why would the mechanic work for a 6-pack of beer? If you pay the fee, why would you need a 6-pack of beer on top of that to make sure the mechanic does a good job? Further more why would I want a drunk person working on my bike or telling me about bikes?
>>
>>968904
iunno but one time the shop said not to charge me and the shop girl was a megaqt and I wasn't sure if she was hitting on me or what so I never went back there because I'd probably propose marriage to her and she would laugh at me and say not in a million years

on the bright side it motivated me to spend like $400 on tools and a workstand and stuff, so that I never have to show my face in there again and humiliate myself in front of my future wife
>>
>Can someone explain the "bring a 6 pack of beer and the mechanic will suck your dick meme"?
Because getting a six pack is fucking nice?

>If the beer is worth less than the fee, why would the mechanic work for a 6-pack of beer?
He likely wouldn't.

>If you pay the fee, why would you need a 6-pack of beer on top of that to make sure the mechanic does a good job?
You shouldn't NEED to, but it can't hurt.

>Further more why would I want a drunk person working on my bike or telling me about bikes?
Yes, because if you buy a sixer, you have to drink a sixer. (Not to mention, a bike mechanic is probably into session IPA's that're like 4% alcohol. Sixer of that isn't getting you drunk.)

Bike mechanic isn't a normal job, it's cool, and cool people get beer.
Alternative jobs have alternative culture.
>>
>>968912
So basically you're a special snowflake that couldn't get a real job, and you think you deserve special treatment because you wanted a "fun" job, and your days consists of complaining about bike mechanic problems instead of real problems. Got it.
>>
>>968914
>So basically you're a special snowflake that couldn't get a real job
I'm not a bike mechanic, I deliver pizzas, broooooo.

>and you think you deserve special treatment because you wanted a "fun" job
No, I'm just saying that's the culture surrounding the job in a lot of places and both the mechanics and the people giving the beer seem down with it.
Obviously, not all mechanics are created equal. There's a difference between a hip place in Philly and a guy in Haddonfield.

>and your days consists of complaining about bike mechanic problems instead of real problems. Got it.
What's the problem? OP asked why bike mechanics get beer, and the answer is bike/messenger/tinkerer culture.
Sucks to suck if you don't like it but that's the answer.
>>
>>968914
bike mechanic problems like being 35 and living off 300 dollars a week?
>>
>>968916
No, the OP asked what was with the beer as some sort of payment meme, not why mechanics get beer because they're cool.

>>968918
That's what happens when you don't get a real job. You live on beer handouts and make up memes on the internet why people should give you beer to do your job.
>>
Beer makes you better at fixing shit. This is a well-documented phenomenon that anybody with a working set of testicles understands intuitively.
>>
>>968932
It only seems this way when you are drunk not afterwards
>>
>>968904
>buy man alcohol because it costs nothing, you could even get away with having a couple yourself
>social contract makes him feel like he should work on your bike better, might do extra shit (go into true your wheel, he also cleans your braking surface real nice and makes sure your rim isn't worn down and in need of replacing, which he might do at a discount because you brought him beers)

the best way to explain it is, dont be a fucking autist, guys who work with their hands all day like to go home and drink beer, its been that way since men had hands and beer, if you buy a man with hands a beer for his hands, he'll like you more.
>>
>>969242
>buy man alcohol because it costs nothing
>buy
>costs nothing
>might

Are bicycle mechanics all this stupid?
>>
>>969269
>he doesn't earn enough money to buy a six pack without thinking about it

sorry, I forgot you're on an allowance
>>
>>969271
That would be you, bike mechanic. I bet you think $10 for changing a flat is nothing too.
>>
>>969275
I'm not a mechanic, bubby
>>
>>969242
>(go into true your wheel, he also cleans your braking surface real nice and makes sure your rim isn't worn down and in need of replacing, which he might do at a discount because you brought him beers)

Why would you pay someone $5-$10, or more if you listen to whiny bike mechanics who say you have to tip in good beer, tip ahead of time, bring a 6 pack in case you might tip for a job well done or whatever because a bike mechanic wipes down your rims with some soapy water and a rag?

If your rim needs replacing, then a mechanic who is going to look for that is already motivated in order to make a sale. If not, he's not going to look for it, beer or not. A discount? A discount on what? He's sure as hell not actually replacing your rim. So he gives you a $5-10 discount on a shitty take-off wheel, which happens to be how much you spent on beer? All on the off-chance your wheels need replacing and you didn't realize it.

This is the retarded delusional entitlement all bike mechanics have. Fucking autismos.

>he'll like you more
Good thing I'm not gay, and I don't actually have a need for a drunk bicycle mechanic that will do a shit job anyways. Some people might want to have a greasy gay casual sex friend, not me. I have no reason to get all friendly with a high school dropout punk with entitlement issues.
>>
File: 1462998601393.jpg (51 KB, 711x718) Image search: [Google]
1462998601393.jpg
51 KB, 711x718
>>969278
Woooooooooooooooow
>>
>spend a shitload of time learning how to fix bikes
>possibly spend money on tools to fix peoples bikes
>probably really like bikes, would enjoy doing this as a hobby but life requires money so you got a job doing it
>spend all day trying to fix weird problems (whats this ticking noise, I don't know where its coming from and you're not allowed to ride my bike to try to find out where), or doing the same routine maintenance shit for assholes who don't know how to fix a flat
>man it would be nice to be drunk right now, good thing part of this job that is slowly draining your patience for people is that sometimes people who know life is hard will bring you some booze
>OH MY GOD HOW COULD YOU BE SO FUCKING ENTITLED, JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE A MECHANIC MEANS YOU WONT FIX PEOPLES BIKE UNLESS THEY BRING YOU BEER AND TIP YOU THREE TIMES?!?!?
>SOMEONE EXPLAIN LIFE TO ME I HAVEN'T BEEN OUTSIDE IN THREE WEEKS BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO SHOWER AND MOM WONT LET ME LEAVE UNLESS I DO
>>
>>969279
>>969242
>autism
Unrelated but one of the workers at a LBS I go to is clearly a sperg and I've actually heard him call people autistic before.
>>
>>969283
>cant buy beer with wages because poor
>poor because he picked a job based on what was fun
>complains work is not fun and wages suck
>demands free beer handouts and calls people autists
>>
>>969286
>someone bringing you beer to be nice means you cant afford beer and this is the only way you get liquor
>projecting that all mechanics are poor again
>everyone complains about work, more proof you've never talked to another human
>insists that all mechanics only work for beer again, acts autistic
>>
>>969288
>someone bringing you beer to be nice means you cant afford beer and this is the only way you get liquor
Then why do they beg for it on bikeforums?
>projecting that all mechanics are poor again
They are.
>everyone complains about work, more proof you've never talked to another human
Yes, but you picked a "fun" job.
>insists that all mechanics only work for beer again, acts autistic
No, they work for their wages. They make up stories to justify why they're entitled to free beer.
>>
>>969293
>Then why do they beg for it on bikeforums?
I don't fucking know, because 'they' are actually you shitposting on bikeforums?

>They are.
if you say so

>Yes, but you picked a "fun" job.
do anything as a job and it stops being fun long enough, especially when it involves customer service at any level, you'd know that if you ever had a job

>No, they work for their wages. They make up stories to justify why they're entitled to free beer.
And you make up stories about them to justify not having to be nice to someone

you know you can go to a mechanic and he'll just work on your bike for no beer right, just dont bring him the beer
>>
Americans have a weird tipping culture where they act entitled to more than the standard rates.
>>
>>969295
Maybe you shouldn't have picked a low paying "fun" job faggot.
>>
File: 1407856422852.jpg (29 KB, 300x411) Image search: [Google]
1407856422852.jpg
29 KB, 300x411
>This many posts on a simple token of gratitude for a service being done at a retail store.

Just don't bring beer then(or a tray of cookies, a bag of weed, or some other consumable).

If you're going to be a this much of an autist when speaking with other people, then just ask the bike mechanic these three things:

>how much they charge for a particular service
>what the service exactly entails
>how long it will take

And get a service slip with your signed authorization. Fuck off, /n/
>>
>>969298
I'm not a mechanic. I picked a low paying shit job because they called back first.

>>969299
>just dont bring beer

what do you mean just dont bring beer, if someone does it once, I have to do it every time because now all bike mechanics feel entitled to every customer bringing them a 6 pack of beer, and a bottle of wine from before they were born, and letting them keep their bike after they're done fixing it!

nothing is a simple token of gratitude, everything must be done exactly a certain way and I'm tired of buying my mechanic so much beer and tipping him 45% every time I need to change a flat tire!
>>
>>969299
But OP isn't asking why people give bike mechanics beers out of being nice and friendly. OP is asking about why LBS mechanics act entitled to beer to do their jobs, or claim they'll give discounts greater than the value of the beer.
>>
This entire thread is why I've never paid a bicycle mechanic a penny to do anything. Maybe there will be some day where the tools cost more than it costs to get the job done like facing a bottom bracket.

inb4 shitty mechanic says i do a shit job and ruin my bike when I've seen other people who go to shops get shit tune ups like derailer rubbing chainrings or hitting spokes
>>
>>968904
No thanks I'd rather have my bikes setup with good parts setup properly not just in a manner that increases profit
>>
File: daisy dukes.jpg (48 KB, 641x436) Image search: [Google]
daisy dukes.jpg
48 KB, 641x436
>>968904
The bicycle industry shills beer so hard. It's practically shoved down our throats to have a cold beer after a bike ride.
>>
Mechanic here - tipping in beer is unusual, at least where I work. Cash tips happen occasionally, but the most common kind of gratuity is homemade cookies or other baked goods, sometimes donuts or pizza.

That said, if you think the service you'll get at a bike shop is based on past tipping behavior, you're mistaken.
1. Discounts are generally given to disadvantaged customers we want to support, or to regular customers who spend money at our shop frequently, not in anticipation of tips, because:
2. we deal with thousands of people in a season, so if you're not a regular, we're not going to remember you regardless of any tips (or rude behavior), and
3. whether you're the shop owner or hired mechanic, you simply cannot work in this field without being aware of the costs involved - you cannot pay your bills, or buy a box of brake cables, with beer. If you find someone willing to 'work for beer,' they're either a fool or actively choosing to give something away.

>>968904
>explain
The whole beer tipping thing became a somewhat popular concept online a few years ago because of the connection between bike-riding and beer-drinking hipsterism.
>>
>>969380
This, I don't even like drinking. It's just empty calories to get some buzz after a ride?
>>
>>969431
The body metabolizes alcohol much faster with the increased heartrate and metabolism. Easier to get tipsy or drunk after exercise.
>>
>>969454

I've never understood why degenerates consider "ease of getting drunk" to be a problem that needs complex solutions like timing your drinking to coincide with exercise, or whatever

Here's a scientifically proven idea that applies to all mood altering substances: increase the dose

It would be one thing if it was teenagers who have practical reasons to be concerned about rationing their illegal contraband, but I see grown adults talking about alcohol like it's unaffordable or otherwise impractical to get drunk and it's critical to share special insider tips on how to get drunk faster and more efficiently

You people ever heard of overproof spirits? Any liquor store sells them, they're not expensive either
>>
>>968908
kek
>>
>>969431
Beer isn't empty calories, neither is wine. Sure they are not the best source of nutrition but it is not "empty."

Hard liquor is closer to being empty calories when consumed alone but even that probably has a little something in it.
>>
it is just a delusion perpetuated by these lycra wearing imbeciles at /n/

they think you can create a "relationship" with your LBS by on top of paying these scumbags, bringing them "cold ones" as though they were not running a business
>>
>>969456
I don't like to spend my own money on, and waste my own time on drinking shit I don't like to drink.
>>
>>969515
Beer is literally a Grant Petersen thing, you hipster in denial.
>>
>>969515
idiots who love small businesses (usually liberals) tend not to have a lot of self esteem (abolish the second ammendement BECAUSE I PERSONALLY CAN'T EVERRRR OWN A GUN ITS TOO SCARRRYYY!!!!!" types)

and perpetuate femnism despite being males because they feel as though women are better than they are just for being women

so they tend to feel like they owe small business owners something, be it loyalty or some sort of misguided one way friendship because they paid attention to the liberal moron for more than 5 mins

local bike store owners, local game store owners and comic book shop owners all just sort of play along because hey it's free food and money from somebody's lack of self esteem so why not right?
>>
File: cuck.png (109 KB, 221x217) Image search: [Google]
cuck.png
109 KB, 221x217
>>969584
Why do you have to be such a raging faggot about it?
I go to small business if I can because I don't think everything should be about shaving down the bottom line.

If I wanna throw them beer because it's nice, that's all it is.
>>
>>969587
there is a reason deep down inside that you like small business more and desire a sort of fake friendship/patronage from a company

are you really that empty inside that you really need a mom and pop store to act like your friend while you hand them cash?

because i'd rather save 50% and go shop at target for my groceries or go to performance bike for my parts from a nameless/faceless corporation with a warranty and a return policy than play buddy buddy with some dude i couldn't give a fuck about all day

HURR DURR LET ME BUY U A BEER BECAUSE YOU SOLD ME DA INNERTUBES FOR MY BIKECYCLE
>>
>>969584
You forgot to add "chengdu chankid gamer geek", nikki
>>
>>969591
>there is a reason deep down inside that you like small business more and desire a sort of fake friendship/patronage from a company
Yes, and that reason is seeing a lot of small shops and things close around here, and getting worse service, but for less money. And seeing multi-million dollar companies treat their employees like shit.

>are you really that empty inside that you really need a mom and pop store to act like your friend while you hand them cash?
There was a video store I used to frequent growing up. They knew my taste, and I knew theirs'.
The people really liked movies and it was nice to get and give recs and discuss what we saw recently.

Now, I self check out a Bluray from Walmart sometimes.
Sorry, I'm a fucking human.
>because i'd rather save 50% and go shop at target for my groceries or go to performance bike for my parts from a nameless/faceless corporation with a warranty and a return policy than play buddy buddy with some dude i couldn't give a fuck about all day
Cool?

>HURR DURR LET ME BUY U A BEER BECAUSE YOU SOLD ME DA INNERTUBES FOR MY BIKECYCLE
I don't see what's wrong with this.
>>
File: grassfwd.jpg (586 KB, 1426x1070) Image search: [Google]
grassfwd.jpg
586 KB, 1426x1070
12$,, for salad.,,
,,Dogebiteme!,, i never tip less then 200%,, lastime was 300.
,are my tacos better?, probly not., is the service?, if you call BJs better,, thenyes!
,,,Whathe Heck! showa little Give in life!!,, WAVE,, to a CAR!! thats right, i said a CAR!, and MEANIT! wave likeits your MOM!,,or,,, the mom, you wishyou had. "Wash your Bike!"
>>
>>969624
>>
File: gosnow.jpg (488 KB, 1801x957) Image search: [Google]
gosnow.jpg
488 KB, 1801x957
>>969624
>tacos better?, probly not
you,, LIER!!,, those Tacos are Customade!,, who makes Avacado Tacos? HUH?!! and ALWAYS remembers to use nonplastic containers?, old cardboard? newspaper? Nice!!,,, just Nothat styrafoam and thinbag.,,, Doge i Hate those bags,, full spectrum pollution!! floato Allevels in updrafts., i have at least 6 in my treesnow.
>>
File: bewaredabacon.jpg (87 KB, 610x393) Image search: [Google]
bewaredabacon.jpg
87 KB, 610x393
>>969635
Bacon don't reply to yourself, man
>>
File: numnum.jpg (885 KB, 1711x1284) Image search: [Google]
numnum.jpg
885 KB, 1711x1284
>>969640
Buthe,,, was,, glossing over the facts of buying local., moneys go into local pockts,,, happy pockets.,in my valley i can do no wrong.
,, i hear China has virtual slavery. born to factory life unless you show marketable skills.
,,USAd has put on the blinders to suffering,,, "Theres an Agency to help", Help kick and strangle., then blame food stamps for money woes??,
,by restricting land usage, we instill slavery.
,our necklace , Murdercube.
>>
>>969640
classic bacon
>>
File: murdercube.jpg (49 KB, 448x381) Image search: [Google]
murdercube.jpg
49 KB, 448x381
>>969693
>murdercube
>>
File: 1369448325411-1-1.jpg (14 KB, 215x247) Image search: [Google]
1369448325411-1-1.jpg
14 KB, 215x247
>>969624
What
>>
>>969454
I don't think you know what the word metabolize means
>>
>>969242
If it costs nothing then why do you rely on your customers to bring it to you?

>>969283
Here's a novel idea: why not demand a wage commensurate with your extensive knowledge of bicycle repair and buy the beer you are apparently dependent on with that?
>>
>>971705
>If it costs nothing then why do you rely on your customers to bring it to you?
Yes, people who are nice enough to bring you beer because they feel like they want to HAS to be your only source of beer.

>why not demand a wage commensurate with your extensive knowledge of bicycle repair
Here an idea; get your autism in check.
>>
>>968912
> 6×330ml @ 4% won't get you drunk
Maybe if you're a long-term alcoholic such as yourself
>>
>>971714
I'm 5'2, 135lbs, bruh.
If I'm drinking them over a longer period of time, like you would tinkering with a bike. (Or more likely, when you get home.), I'm not getting drunk.
I can feel it, but drunk? No.

We do projects outside all the time, and we always have beer. You're just not getting hammared.
>>
File: 23264_1333836630.jpg (73 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
23264_1333836630.jpg
73 KB, 720x480
>>968904
No idea, hitting a Störtebeker wheat unfiltered beer right now and it is really good. Must buy more of those are good.
>>
authoritative bike mechanic here:

I work at a small LBS in a town with another bike shop that can hardly support one. we survive off of our reputation and by just being a "cool" bike shop; the other bike shop is very corporate. we actually have microbrew on tap in the shop and serve it every day. there's a lot of beer culture at the shop, everything from military lads getting sloshed after a ride to people just "i cant wait to get home and enjoy a nice microbrewed IPA xD"

bringing your mechanic a six-pack is absolutely a meme. like, you could bring your mechanic a really nice leather wallet or something or even just give him a tip or buy him a fucking set of carbon clinchers and it would have the same effect. I have a lot of discretion in what I do, and if someone is cool I'll absolutely pay a little bit more attention to their bike or overlook a small fee for parts or try to have their bike done a little quicker.

here's what happens if you try to bring your mechanic beer:
>(/n/ timidly opens the door to the bike shop with a six pack in hand), the mechanic sees him through the window and comes out from the back
>mech: hey man, did you forget something earlier?
>/n/: no, I just brought you a six pack of brewskis!
>mech: oh...cool...what is this for?
>/n/: oh...haha...I read on the internet that mechanics like beer
>mech: haha...yeah we like beer around here, I'll put it in the fridge, thanks man. was there anything else I could do for you?
>/n/: no, haha...just a discouint
>mech: sorry what was that man? you're kind of mumbling
>/n/: haha nothing, just making a joke...bye...
>(/n/ exits the building)
>>
>>971730

Störtebeker is really nice, yes! Their Atlantik Ale is a nice refreshing summer-y beer but my favourite is Störtebeker Schwarz!
>>
>>968904

I have "traded" a mechanic beer some parts that the bike shop didn't have but he did.

Also one time I felt like the mechanic went above and beyond typical service so I tipped with beer.

I usually tip with cash on mechanic work.

I don't know if it gets me better service, I don't get discounts, it is more about saying thank you for good work.
>>
>>971802
The fuck kind of beers are you buying that a six-pack costs the same as a nice leather wallet or carbon clinchers?
>>
>>971830
I think what he's trying to say is that it's the thought that counts, not the value of the tip.
>>
>>971837
thank you. the monetary value of a six pack is more or less insignificant, even to a bike mechanic (especially in my case because we have beer on tap). like what if you get them beer that they don't like? you could just have a nice conversation with your mechanic about some nerd shit he's into that you don't actually care about at all.

>>969284
this is probably me lmao, say hi next time you're in
>>
>>969242
I know a really good bike shop that has been working on this principle for years and years.
They make enough money building custom bikes for people with tons of money to spend that they will basically tune your bike for a few dollars and a six pack.
Mechanics go over your shit, you sit and have a beer with them while they do it. Everyone wins.
>>
>letting a drunkard touch your bike
Not even once
>>
>>971802
here's how it ACTUALLY works
>hey man you did a really great job doing X for my ride the other day.
>here's a sixer of <good beer> on me, really appreciate your work!

and then you ask for nothing in return
>>
>>971718
>I'm 5'2"
Pffffftttthahahaha
>>
>>972875
I'm female
>>
>>972874
This.
>>
File: cia.gif (2 MB, 200x256) Image search: [Google]
cia.gif
2 MB, 200x256
>>972881
>135lbs
>>
File: shortguy.jpg (46 KB, 353x288) Image search: [Google]
shortguy.jpg
46 KB, 353x288
>>972886
Yeah
>>
>>972881
Cool
>>
File: payback.jpg (549 KB, 1711x1284) Image search: [Google]
payback.jpg
549 KB, 1711x1284
>>969635
>>
File: mech.jpg (673 KB, 1548x1113) Image search: [Google]
mech.jpg
673 KB, 1548x1113
>>
>>968904
Bike mechanic reporting
>the beer costs more than the shop pays, at least in the mountain west
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.