[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I see there are a lot of cyclists here so perhaps some of you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: UTI1501484_r900x493.jpg (85 KB, 900x493) Image search: [Google]
UTI1501484_r900x493.jpg
85 KB, 900x493
I see there are a lot of cyclists here so perhaps some of you can help me understand. I ride a motorcycle in NYC and I noticed that I get more shit from cyclists than cars. The traffic here usually sucks so I end up lanesplitting and maneuvering often. I never give cyclists any shit when they're in the street cause they're allowed to be there and are easy enough to get around, but today, the traffic was really bad on this street with narrow lanes so I used the bike lane for a couple blocks, I pass several cyclists without issue. But while I'm waiting at a light one of them pulls up next to me and yells some shit about the bike lane.
I don't think I caused anyone any trouble. I'm going a good 10-15mph faster than them and can pass them with at least a foot to spare. If theres a cyclist in the street I just zip by them and don't think of them again. This is the first time I've actually had someone come up to me and talk shit, usually its just a middle finger or a yelled expletive from a distance.
Am I doing something wrong or are the cyclists in my city just aggressive road ragers?
>>
>>967301
Bicycle lanes are for non-motorized traffic.
>>
>>967301
In my state it's the law to give cyclists three feet.
>>
>>967301
bicycle lanes are for bicycles not motorcycles

you are wrong to be there
>>
Keep your motorcycle the fuck out of the bicycle lane you goddamn idiot.
>>
>Am I doing something wrong?
Well…

>Operating a motor vehicle in bike lane
Obviously illegal…

>Lane splitting in NY
Even more illegal.

I'm not going to argue you on obeying the law. You've made up your mind on this point and I'll try to respect that.

But do you realize how much of an issue bikes on the road are in the rest of the tristate? Theres so many places they like to ride but the roads just aren't wide enough for bicycles and local traffic. Drive up 9W tomorrow to get a feel for it. With that in mind, why do you feel the need to interfere bikes in one of the few areas that have dedicated space for them? What makes it acceptable for you to undo all the work the rest of the community has done to separate bicycle and motor traffic?

That you lane split is a separate issue. Go to SoCal if driving that way is important to you. People in new york just aren't expecting it from you, so you're that much more likely to get into an accident. And you know you're on a motorcycle, you're going to be on the losing end of a collision with a car or truck. You're putting yourself into a position to be killed or maimed, and whoever you hit might have have to sue your estate or your crippled ass to be able to afford to get to work in the morning again. Is that fair? I'm not talking about the fact that roads are hazardous, just the substantial extra danger that you choose to add, why can you impose that on anyone else?

So, you get a lot shit from cyclists and cars? Maybe its because you drive irresponsibly. You don't have more right to the road than others just because you're willing to drive more recklessly than them. Realize your behavior is causing someone some trouble.

And jesus, you know you need to act differently, don't expect fucking 4chan to help you with that.
>>
Nah just keep riding like you do.
>>
>>967301
Riding your motorcycle in the bike lane is a bit like riding a bicycle on the sidewalk.

As a cyclist I feel pretty defensive about the bike lane and I get pretty annoyed when people ride motorized scooters in it or double park, or run in it.
>>
Don't worry about them all cyclists are complete retards who will break any rules when it serves them but bitch endlessly if anyone else does. I almost killed some woman cyclist with my car because she was slowly coasting through a red light looking down and she had the nerve to slowly roll around my car looking in trying to say shit.
>>
>>967301
1) It's illegal to split lanes
2) It's double illegal to split lanes between the parking lane and the traffic lanes, where the cyclists are, even in California where lane splitting is legal
3) 3ft is the standard for safe passing, not two feet, and especially not one foot, and will most likely be codified by law sooner or later as the majority of states have 3ft written into the law
4) Bike lanes are for bicycles only, not motorbikes, and you should never be in a bike lane unless you are crossing from one side to the other such as to find parking or make a right turn

So yes, you're an asshole. I'm a motorcyclist.
>>
>>967451
If I was texting she would be in the hospital or dead.
>>
>>967448
basically this. bikefags = cagers
>>
>>967301
there is a chance that I would have just smashed you in the face then curb stomped you if you did that bullshit to me.
>>
>>967301
>Am I doing something wrong or are the cyclists in my city just aggressive road ragers?
why not just ride on the sidewalk ? you're clearly unable to see anything wrong with shitting up cycle lanes so why not take it a step further ?
>>
>>967301
I see there are a lot of pedestrians here so perhaps some of you can help me understand. I ride a motorcycle in NYC and I noticed that I get more shit frompedestrians than cars. The traffic here usually sucks so I end up lanesplitting and maneuvering often. I never give pedestrians any shit when they're crossing the street cause they're allowed to be there and are easy enough to get around, but today, the traffic was really bad on this street with narrow lanes so I used the sidewalk for a couple blocks, I pass several pedestrians without issue. But while I'm waiting at a light one of them walks up next to me and yells some shit about the sidewalk.
I don't think I caused anyone any trouble. I'm going a good 10-15mph faster than them and can pass them with at least a foot to spare. If theres a pedestrian in the street I just zip by them and don't think of them again. This is the first time I've actually had someone come up to me and talk shit, usually its just a middle finger or a yelled expletive from a distance.
Am I doing something wrong or are the pedestrians in my city just aggressive sidewalk ragers?
>>
I ride a motorcycles and bicycles. On a Tuesday you might see me on my Honda 599 ripping up through traffic in downtown SF - lanesplitting, using most every part of the road that I can get to. On a Wednesday you might see me in full gay spandex on one of my road bikes doing the same thing. Two things you won't see; my motorcycle in the bike lane and my bicycle on the sidewalk.
>>
>>967301
OP, I have been a motorcycle rider for decades, have owned, over the course of my life, the following motorcycles: Honda Express (yeah, I know, more a scooter, but I count it), 1968 Honda 90 (2.5 of them, actually), 1968 Suzuki 250cc race bike (2-cycle, reedless, scary fast), 1983 Honda Nighthawk 450, 1980-something Kawasaki 750, 1985 Honda Magna 700 (very powerful and fast for it's size), and most currently, 2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (not fast, not manueverable, but reliable and fun). About 500,000 miles total lifetime mileage logged.

I also ride a bicycle. I ride about 200 miles a week, training for road racing 6 days a week.

I also, of course, own a car, specifically a light pickup truck.

Also, I was born, raised, and have lived in California my entire life.

Now that I've established my bona-fides as a rider of motorcycles, bicycles, and motor vehicles in general: Your use of the bike lane to get around traffic while on a motorcycle is against the law in California, and furthermore creates an EXTREME SAFETY HAZARD for any cyclists in the bike lane at the same time. If a cop caught you doing it, you would get the CRAP kicked out of you verbally by him for doing it and have to pay a big fat ticket. DON'T DO THAT ANY MORE, OK? When guys like you do things like that, it just makes life more difficult for the rest of us who ride motorcycles, so far as dealing with the drivers on the road, dealing with cops, and getting along with cyclists. Don't do it again.
>>
My biggest gripe with motorcyclist is not that they lanesplit, but that they sometimes try to lanesplit, realize their bike doesn't fit through the two cars, and just stay there blocking the gap a bike could easily ride through.
>>
If there was such thing as a motorcycle lane and you saw cyclists use it you'd get pissed off too.
>>
>>967510
bicycles are slower than motorcycles
>>
>>967581
Okay
>>
>>967581
Mhm, yup, that's true
>>
>>967581
it checks out guys, you can use whatever transportation infrastructure you want as long as you're faster than whoever its made for

if you can drive faster than a train, drive on train tracks, if you can drive faster than people walk, drive on the sidewalk, if you can drive faster than people jogging, take your car out to the jogging trails and see some sights!
>>
>>967491
Fuck yeah dude
>>
>>967301
don't use the bike lane faggot. it's for bikes, not motorcycles
>>
>>967301
What do you expect?, the bike lane is one of the few places a rider can be ´´safe´´ , so riding at their lane is a threat to them.
>>
>>967423
>Riding your motorcycle in the bike lane is a bit like riding a bicycle on the sidewalk.

Word.
>>
>>967331
We all know thats a pipe dream in a crowded city
>>967458
>lycra clad gentleman vs. man with full helmet and steel knuckled gloves
>>967463
Because the sidewalk is for peds, the road is for vehicles
>>967500
I'm not in California, and I've been doing this for years and have never been pulled over for my riding style, only for speeding.
>>967612
>if you can drive faster than people jogging, take your car out to the jogging trails and see some sights!
lol I used to ride on hiking trails sometimes when I had a shitty bike I didn't care about fucking up
>>
>>967759
>Because the sidewalk is for peds

but the bicycle lane isn't for bicycles, gotcha
>>
>>967759
So basically,
> you asked whether you do something wrong. Then,
> people tell you that what you do is not only a hazard to cyclists but most probably illegal. Apart from that
> people tell you that they really don't appreciate your riding style.
> You yourself have witnessed yells and middle fingers

You continue to discount every argument given and show no interest in acutally reflecting on your behaviour.

So tell me, OP, why did you ask in the first place?
>>
>>967301
>a foot to spare.
There's your problem. 1 m would be considerate.
>>
>>967935
>considerate

It's the law in most places.
>>
File: thumbnail.jpg (30 KB, 390x256) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail.jpg
30 KB, 390x256
>>967301

YOU might be a good motorcyclist.

But if we don't fight for our bike lanes (against people like YOU) more and more motorcyclists will start using them, and eventually they'll be full of sub 100 IQ retards putting everyone at risk. Long term, we're living in Dehli and the streets are a nightmare
>>
>>967965
I can tell everything would run smooth in that pic with a bike lane
>>
>>967920
Theres no gnarly curb between the "road" and the "bike lane"
>>967933
Other than "its illegal", how is me passing you in the bike lane wronging you?
>>967965
That will never happen because we poo in loo
>>
>>968071
So why don't you just ride on the shoulder of freeways then?
>>
>>968082
No because it's easy to split on freeways. And the shoulder is littered with gravel and other debris that could fuck my shit up.
>>
File: 3ft.png (679 KB, 1576x504) Image search: [Google]
3ft.png
679 KB, 1576x504
>>967759

Please see >>967449

>HURRRRRR WHY IS IT BAD TO DRIVE RECKLESSLY

http://www.safeny.ny.gov/bike-vt.htm
§ 102-b. Bicycle path. A path physically separated from motorized vehicle traffic by an open space or barrier and either within the highway right-of-way or within an independent right-of-way and which is intended for the use of bicycles.
>>
>>968071
When I'm on my motorcycle I hate it when a car merges into my lane and decides to try and share the lane with me, because apparently motorcycles don't deserve the full use of a lane. I hate it when a car tries to pass me only giving me 1 or 2 feet. I don't know why this is so difficult for you except that you're a sociopath and you justify it because you're the one doing the passing and lane sharing instead of the car most of the time.
>>
>>968155
>other than "its illegal"
>>968176
A bicycle isn't going to be passing a motorcycle
>>
All you cyclistcucks are whining about "hurr its dangerous" yet I see one of you go thru a red light and nearly kill yourself and/or someone else on a daily basis.
>>
>>968183
Well that must obviously mean we're all just as reckless
>>
>>968182
>I'm above the law because I know more about safety than everyone else
>btw 1 foot for passing is totally safe
>and lane splitting in new york motherfucking city is safe

You're retarded. Traffic laws exist to stop people from fucking dying. Bicycle lanes are not for motorcycles. They are for bicycles. I hope you get the shit beat out of you by a crooked cop (of which we have many)
>>
>>968198
99% of traffic laws are for generating revenue.
>>
>>968182
>A bicycle isn't going to be passing a motorcycle
I said when a car passes me on a motorcycle you illiterate. Clearly you have trouble with empathy. You should seek help.
>>
>>968204
This sounds like edgy /pol/ memery. Hurr tax is theft amirite? Praise ancap n shie
>>
>>968207
Exactly, the comparison you made is apples to oranges and doesn't apply.
>>968208
I'm all for small government and low taxes, but ancaps are delusional.
>>
>>968215
>Exactly, the comparison you made is apples to oranges and doesn't apply.
You're asking why someone would feel uncomfortable being passed with only 1 foot between you. You're a genuine retard and sociopath.
>>
>>967301
>running bikepath on a motour
>Am I doing something wrong or are the cyclists in my city just aggressive road ragers xDDD
>>
>>967301
I'm not from murica and over here bike lanes are 97% a mockery. but on that one single actual bike lane that is fully usable and separated from traffic and NOT full with parked cars; it's nice to not have to watch over your shoulder for bimbos in cars. having a motorcycle all of a sudden break what little comfort you had left in a fit of BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP would anger me as well.

if you do things that you are certain of and feel safe doing, surprising others by not following traffic rules will make them jolt, try to avoid you (and possibly cause an accident) or just enter an area well beyond their comfort zone, so ofc they will hate on you.

traffic rules are there to keep order, so that everyone is on the same page, so that accidents can be avoided/better traffic flow, etc, if you act as a special snowflake you break the order

Side note: if you own the kind of bike that is obnoxiously loud just for "flavor", you will get extra "fuck you"s
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.