[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Choo choo engineers unite !
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: DSC_0692.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0692.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Let's get rid of the bike fag infestation. Imma post pics from work. Pic related - did a site visit to a station built in 1926 and they wanted to demolish the station and upgrade it. Look at that antique interlocks!
>>
File: DSC_0421.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0421.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Thermit welding bitches !
>>
File: DSC_0414.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0414.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Is it a train ? Is it a truck ? No ! It's a Unimog !
>>
File: DSC_0050.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0050.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Ballast sucks. Concrete rulez.
>>
>>964037
>choo choo

Steam trains are dead or in museums. They're fun, but let's stop referring to all trains as museum relics. They are outdated and pollute the environment.
>>
>>964048
I meant train engineers in general >_>

Or even engineers working on tracks (like me)
>>
>all these black people

are you from SA too?
>>
Not that i mind the pictures, but how do you imagine this will get rid of the bike fags?
>>
>>964053
No. Malaysia

>>964054
Needs more train posts
>>
>>964038
>Thermite welding
Gas welds are superior and aren't as prone to defects and failures.

>>964042
Meh, you need more frequent surfacing with concrete ties than wooden ones. You need a tamper on it nearly every month.
>>
>>964239
>You need a tamper on it nearly every month.

Given the re-bar underneath it, imma gonna guess they're pouring a slab right under & around those sleepers. Ain't nobody tamping it.

Also glued ballast.
>>
>>964239
This guy is correct. Cast in sleeper concreted track.
>>964314
>>
>>964314
>>964469
I guess that works when you're dealing with lighter weights.
>>
>>964471
Yeah it's a metro so maximum tonne/axle probably 16-20?

Anyways we mostly flashbutt our short rails but thermit weld every long welded rails. Will check out gas welding
>>
>>964472
Even 16 for a subway is heavy. You're looking at like 6-8 unloaded for some systems (maybe 9-12 full under non Japanese conditions).
>>
>>964472
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8XLVBYFxyk

You can do it in the field, but as you see the equipment is kind of bulky. You can't get the weld done in some tricky places like switches.

It's a very strong weld and the kind they make in the factory. That's how they manufacture those big 1400 ft. sticks of rail.
>>
Too ridged of a foundation will cause structural failure. The whole thing has to float and remain flexible. Henry Ford experimented with concrete ties on a ridged base when he was in control of the Detroit Toledo and Ironton railroad. Didn't work back then. Need to see completed track photos.
>>
>>965217
This.

Wooden ties are great not just because they're cheap, but they're also flexible while still holding gauge.

People think of track as a fixed stucture, but it's actually a very fluid, almost living, thing.
>>
>>965217
That's pretty interesting.
>>
>>964037
never knew nespresso machines used to look like that
>>
>>964119
> Malaysia
that explains the Obama signalman
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.